Murphy31 18-Sep-17
Pi 19-Sep-17
stillhunter 19-Sep-17
Buckshot89 19-Sep-17
stillhunter 19-Sep-17
BQP 19-Sep-17
Pi 19-Sep-17
18-Sep-17
I have been looking into and reading a bit about ever calm. I can't get over the price. I was thinking of getting a stick of the "calming" scent. I have a great spot that I unfortunately will only be able to use a blind in... very tight area with a lot of tree and no lanes. I've had the blind out for weeks now and have been getting a lot of action in cameras. I was wondering, if I bought and started using ever calm on the blind if it would help? Or is it better to use only at the times I am hunting in the blind. My issue will be that I need to stay extremely scentless or as scentless as possible while in the blind due to the proximity of the area that I'm hunting. Hopefully ever calm might be beneficial to me.

18-Sep-17
I have used herd scent for last 2 seasons and think it is very effective. I put a little on boots to cover trail going in. I don't get caught up in gimmicky gear but there are two things I can testify to effectiveness, this is one.

18-Sep-17
I use evercalm as a cover scent on my boots when walking in and on trees and rocks in my target area. From my cam picks I often see deer will go straight to the evercalm spot and stay there sniffing for quite a while. The more time they spend in the target area for either trail cam pics or hunting the better.

18-Sep-17
B&S,.. what is the other ? Inquiring minds want to know!

18-Sep-17
I have had no negative effects with ever calm . I also put it on my boots and around my tree/natural blind. I have had deer stop on a dime with different doe urine and turn around and get out of dodge but never on ever calm. I would give it a try. Good luck Mike!

18-Sep-17
Just don't put it too close to your blind. It is very calming. I did this one afternoon and fell asleep for six hours. Woke up to the warden writing me a ticket for hunting after hours.

Just kidding. I've never used it, and have nothing constructive to add. Yet I'm still talking...

18-Sep-17
... don't stop Jeb!

18-Sep-17
please, don't stop Jeb :-)

I started using it on boots walking in last year. can't say that it has / hasn't helped, but I'll try anything to get an edge.

18-Sep-17
It's BB ... BB lol Love the Buck Bomb Doe in Estrus

18-Sep-17
I have seen several deer make a b-line for the conquest scents. For me it is just the deodorant stick that I really like. I just open it up when im sitting on stand and close it and take it out with me. I don't believe in leaving a bunch of deer scent behind when im not their, because deer will come to it and find no deer where it smells like their is one. I believe they will get wise quick that something is wrong and then avoid the spot. as for the high cost I think it is well worth it because it last much longer, even if your spreading it all over. I have some that I put on trees years ago that you can still see and smell.

18-Sep-17

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
Da Bomb
Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
Da Bomb
Thanks B&S,..

Comedy for ya,.. when I first responded my question to you,.. I was like Bowandspear is a lot to type so I went with what folks refer to me as,.. just two letters,.. so I typed in my message to you "BS what is the other" then I was like ADD the "&" symbol!! Thought you would laugh like I did. Be well B&S,..

PS have you ever hunted with a spear or just dream of it,.. like me?

18-Sep-17
i started using the herd scent stick lightly on my boots for the walk in and out and i actually put a small slick on the tree trunk im in above me to cover my sweaty head haha

18-Sep-17

Huntingwm's Link
The other brand is made by Harmon... I have not used it but the reviews seem to make it a comparable product. Its about ten bucks cheaper.... but.. I have used EverCalm and absolutely swear by its effectiveness. The stuff is amazing. Heres the link to the Harmon brand on Amazin.

18-Sep-17
One or two sticks will last you all season. One or two swipes on a tree branch is all thats needed.

18-Sep-17
BB that's funny, yah that's the stuff. The Doe in Estrus is all I use but wait until the right time. I do dream of taking one with an atl atl lol. But my other obsession is freedive spearfishing, which is basically holding your breath and bow hunting underwater. So much so I have a business supplying spearos with gear and expertise in it. Maybe Mass will legalize the spear and I'll get to try an atl atl, but I will file that pipe dream behind Sunday hunting .

Huntingwm i have never heard of Harmon's, I'll have to check it out. Evercalm at $20 stick is ouch, but the results warrant it IMO

18-Sep-17
No known negative results all positive . Good points added already .

But using the real thing is good too. When a buddy kills a deer get some stink from it . Wipe it down with a few hands full of cotton balls and q-tip the orbital glands , between the cloven hooves also. Use gloves and baggies pre-marked. Keep them straight or there will be hoove smell on the licking branch... confusing . Use it to make your illusion . Make a drag rag etc. . Collect the urine also ,if you can and put it in the fridge.

Another 20 dollars is not a lot to add to our investment. Go for it.

18-Sep-17
PI , seeing you brought up something I have been questioning trying. Say you take a buck early season. Would it be possible to use the lower front leg of that buck for mock scrapes? Or would glands and scent get like rancid and have a bad effect. Things I think of when trying to utilize everything instead of seeing a nice leg go in a dirt hole. I even thought of making a walking stick that I replace lower leg part to freshen up and make scrape making a little more realistic. I could be just nuts too.

18-Sep-17
I'm very susceptible, you guys have to stop suggesting stuff! I bought a portable stool that Will suggested, then ordered some new XOP climbing sticks and then today called the Chippewa people and was swayed into ordering a super small/light loc on stand. I guess there are much worse ways to spend my money, the kids will just have to live with no inheritance. LOL

18-Sep-17
Been using it for a couple of years mainly if Wind direction is Bad, it keeps them from the slow walk with the head bobbing on there way in . Thinking of Nose Jammer anyone try that?

18-Sep-17
BnS , interesting ideas. From what I understand , the deer hooves gives off more scent when it is jammed into the ground like foot stomping . It is a signal like flagging is . I think on one buck kill it did just that because deer were clearly walking around the kill spot for weeks . It could have been the drag out as well but I don't know for sure . I think too much odor is a bad thing. (No blood on this kill by the way and I didn't gut it there) Shot straight on , into the spine and heart but no exit , no blood. So something was bugging them . Maybe I got careless and left my odor ? but I think it was over-stink.

Anyway, When I make a fake scrape I make an impression like a V with a stick. A hoove would be better. Rancid ? That is a good question but my deer feet that have been processed don't stink so there is a way to make them unstunk. The substance from inside the toes can be kept in the freezer and you could rub it on the hooves as needed .But be sparce with it. Perhaps add that to some wax . Good question about preserving , I'll do some research but my first thought would be wax and cold to keep fresh . I don't know if it does go bad ???

18-Sep-17
Love the stuff. Had deer follow it right in sniffing every place I rubbed it. I put it on my boots, up the tree I'm hunting, and few rubs here there when I'm walking in. I had one deer wind me last year and It was the day I forgot to put the ever calm in my pack. The stick will last you a couple seasons.

19-Sep-17
Oh Ma, They will inherit your good intentions , fine character, a bunch of great hunting toys Perhaps some deer heads too. What's not to love about that ?

There is this new thing that every hunter should have .... Funny man.

19-Sep-17
Pi i like the cotton ball idea. i have been trying to figure out how to save gland scent. I am planning to try to collect urin this season if i am able to get a deer. i have some in the fridge right now and it make ever calm seem cheap.

19-Sep-17
It works. Put it on your boots while walking in. Circle your tree in a 15-20 yard circle if you can making sure to stop in the shooting lanes and swab a few branches or brush. A lot goes a long way too so you don't need to be wasteful. I make sure some residue gets on the container top and I just leave it out while hunting for a cover/attractant scent. I've had deer follow my trail in and do the complete circle as well as hang around looking for the other deer in the area. During the rut bucks don't pay too much attention to it honestly especially if they are in the chasing faze. I've seen rutting bucks cross my trail and pay no mind to the evercalm. Estrous, bleating and rattling will do ya best, but I always leave that scent out because when they get in close they are only worrying about one thing if you know what I mean and that evercalm just confirms they are in a deer rich area.

19-Sep-17
And yes the gland in the hooves can be over used. Bucks rub the hooves threw scraps, but they stump when confronted. Im sure you have seen deer blow and stump at a hunter.

19-Sep-17
after reading good reviews last year from some of you guys I picked up a stick of it. I had all positive results as well.

19-Sep-17
Stillhunter , I agree . It is a lot of effort and better to start with the ever-calm. I don't like it on my boots but will drag and stop the drag at 20 yards or so. Otherwise he could get too close . (circle a tree , I like that)

When you open a deer it ( Deer Piss) is there for the taking. In fact ,one buck had a full bladder and I decided to give a little squish on it . The results shot out like a fountain . I would presume that it works with girl deer too. Have a mason jar ready .

To preserve pee ,it must be refrigerated . But gland scent is another thing , that must be frozen in part due to changing compounds .

Besides paying for the "Calm balm" : Rubbing down a deer is the best for collecting smells , IMO . Easy and natural . If you can attach string to some non scented feminine product , you are all ready to collect the scent from a fresh kill and you have a drag rag and scent wick , waiting for your future hunts .

• Sitka Gear