Trapper 28-Sep-17
Nocturnal 28-Sep-17
Novice 29-Sep-17
Oforalot 29-Sep-17
Trapper 29-Sep-17
Nocturnal 12-Oct-17
Nocturnal 12-Oct-17
18-Sep-17
I'm doing another in season journal. This will be 100% public land hunting in South eastern and west central Wisconsin. If anyone wants to comment. Your more than welcome to.

Today 9-18 will be my first hunt of the year. ENE winds today. My plan is to hit a 2 acre bedding area that leads to a bean field. I'm going to have to take a long loop around and blaze my own trail through a marsh to get to this stand. Just a tad over a mile in. Let this journey begin!

18-Sep-17
You used a canoe for part of your season last year didn't you?

18-Sep-17
Good Luck Noc, I look forward to your journey!

18-Sep-17
Good luck and enjoy.....I enjoy following all you guys hunt threads........good luck all.

18-Sep-17
Noc - I was hopeful that you would do a season journal thread. Looking forward to reading of your adventures. Best of luck.

19-Sep-17
Thanks fellas. Tweed I use the canoe and kayak often.

19-Sep-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Late update on last nights hunt. I got to the parking lot at 4 and with the NE winds. I wanted to make a long loop around and get into a island that is close to Ag. On my way in i walked through some bedding closest to that island hoping to stack my spot. I did jump one from what I could here and it went into the marsh headed for the island. After doing that I made a half mile walk back and started for my path around. Everything is overgrown, which made for difficult walking. I found some big tracks on the edge of the marsh in the mud and then seen some big rubs going into a different bed. I changed my mind and decided to hunt that bed. But that thought didn't last long when I looked up and saw a guy walking with a shotgun. Talked with him for a few seconds and he said he was turkey hunting. We went our separate ways.

6:00 I was finally set up. 2 hours later. I didn't think it would take that long. But I had to stop a couple times for a break. I don't have my marsh legs right now. I was in stand for 20 mins and 70 yards out I have a doe coming out and have her browsing my way. She got into the tall grass at 50 yards and just disappeared. I kept on that trail leading past my stand at 20 but nothing. 10 mins later. She popped out in the same direction. I ranged her at 42. Then she disappeared again. As I'm watching in her direction. I had a deer stand up 20 yards from me and go off into the marsh headed for the beans. All I saw was its back. Caught me by surprise because I walked past that deer and never jumped it. Up until dark I watched that one doe pop in and out Of view. That was it for my night. No bucks seen and the mosquitos were ferocious.

It was a great first hunt. I will say that I was very rusty with certain things. My set up took longer. I walked down one of the deer trails I shouldn't have. I did things that could have cost me the hunt. All around felt disconnected from the woods. But I'll get back into the predator mode.

I'd usually leave this area for awhile, but I don't think I disturbed it much. As the season progresses and the pressure increases. I think more deer will use the island to get away from the hunters. I hope to be back in there in the next couple weeks.

19-Sep-17
I wish you lots of luck Noc. I know you are one of the better hunters on this board and I look forward to picking up some pointers along your journey's way.

19-Sep-17
Good luck Noc!

20-Sep-17
Another late update. Man life is hectic this year. Monday's hunt I mentioned finding the big tracks on the creek with tall rubs going into the bed. Well I snuck into that thick point that juts out into a marsh. I got set up on just a off wind blowing down into the point. I set up on the off wind side of the marsh to keep my scent from blowing into the beds. Did I mention I forgot my thermacell! They tore me up. Right at crunch time I heard a stick break and here comes a nubber! Okay first buck of the season. Where's daddy at? Started throwing some milkweed and it was falling right on his back but he could care less. He walked past and started munching on acorns. When I look over and he's being met with two doe's. I have no idea where they were bedded. I do have a doe tag and debated taking the shot but figured they were occupied with eating so I decided to wait and see if anything else comes off that point, nothing.... okay it's time to fill the tag. The big one turnes and walks away. I had to let down. Rarely does that happen. I wasn't interested in taking a hard quartering away shot. Right at dark I did have another deer come in off that point but stopped 40 yards out and just waited. Was it the big one? I don't know. Either it knew something was up or i was setup too far back. Next time I will try and get closer. I'm seeing deer but off to a slower start than usual when it comes to bucks. With this heat. I'm going to hold off until next weeks cold front and spend some time with the family.

20-Sep-17
Noc, this is the first year I have not hunted the opener. I'm actually looking at not hunting the first 8 days which is crazy. This heat is just not worth my effort right now. I look at the risk reward, and risk seems to outweigh the reward at this point. And like you, I'm looking forward to a weather break!

Keep it coming. Good stuff!

20-Sep-17
Pete I'm surprised you haven't gotten out yet. But your right about this warm weather. I'm looking forward the cooler weather too!

20-Sep-17
Noc, I have been working some long hours in preparation to working no hours soon enough.

23-Sep-17
Left my house this morning by 3:30. Pulled into my destination at 4:10. Knew I had a few minutes to relax and check maps. While doing so I heard a noise outside my truck. So I turned my phone off and listened. All a sudden. Two bums come walking out of the woods. Stop and stare at my truck for 30 seconds. Then turn right back around and go back in. Needless to say I had to walk in that way and didn't bring my pistol. I turned out and made the drive back home. Not my cup of tea. Bad feeling walking in and know your being watched and who else knows what else. The down falls of hunting southern Wisconsin public land.

23-Sep-17
They were probably more scared of you then you were of them. They probably got the place all buggered up though....

What a crappy morning. Sorry man....

23-Sep-17
"They were probably more scared of you then you were of them."

Or they were going to jump him first chance they got. Good job going with your gut Noc.

23-Sep-17
Yes, exactly RutnStrut. Who knows what they were up to. I didn't even think twice about going. Immediately said No Way haha!! Plus who knows what they would have done to my truck! Maybe they were more nervous of me. I wasn't willing to gamble that theory though.

23-Sep-17
I wouldn't doubt they have marijuana grow in the woods near there. These guys will camp near where they grow, and of course lack the capacity to shower.

Then again, they simply might be bums lol.

23-Sep-17
Yeah, who knows? Whatever the reason. They shouldn't have been out there.

24-Sep-17
"Marijuana grow"..... where is this spot??

24-Sep-17
Hahaha!! Glad to see you back Shane. We missed you!!

25-Sep-17
Good luck Noc. I need to live whitetails this early season through you guys. The first 2 weekends were devoted to bear hunting and next week I leave for New Orleans. Keep up the reports.

28-Sep-17
Well today's the day. I'm 3/4s in and I'm taking a little break to dry off my sweat. It's warm but a breezy SW wind today and I'm going in to my favorite spot. Hunting hunting a tamarack swamp that turns to cats. Lots of buck bedding off the points. Sign is starting to pick up. I've got corn and whiteoaks to my north and the deer to my south. I'm going after the big 10 and I'm confident he's in here. Just a matter if he really is. I'll post pics as soon as I'm set up.

28-Sep-17
Go Get Em!

28-Sep-17
Noc- do you have a youtube channel?

28-Sep-17
Post pics as soon as you get him. I'm in my stand and signing out. Good luck!

28-Sep-17
Absolute nightmare getting in here. Sooo bad I'm gonna blow everything out getting in First time ever walking in this way and I should have turned out when I thought it. Absolute rookie move guys

28-Sep-17

Worst attempt I've ever had. I got stuck up to my knees over a dozen times. 3 times I had to dig myself out and 3 times I went up to my waist. I can't believe how wet it was. We haven't even got that much rain. Apparently all the rain we got this spring held. The swamp almost swallowed me whole. The worst hunt I've even put myself in. I honestly don't think I've ever done anything as physical either. 50 pounds of gear on my back just about killed me today. Ohh and did I mention I pissed some bees off. Got stung twice. Both times in the neck.

28-Sep-17

I reached my destination at the wrong time.

28-Sep-17
Well, the endurance of man when challenged is what makes us men to begin with. Lol, I'm sore from walking on good train. I cannot imagine walking though mud!

Well, you learned something! Snow shoes next time! ;-)

Next time you'll do better! Good luck!

28-Sep-17
Dang.....I'm sure that swamp had a good foot of water in normal times.

I hate much. Quite the man for trudging through it.

28-Sep-17
Noc, did you ever try Marsh Skis?

28-Sep-17
Your right Pete and I was tested.

Tweed you can count on hip waders every time. I sent Reggie a video of me going to my belly when I was back there early spring. I can send you the aerial photos if you wanna give it a try!! Lol

Trapper: No I haven't tried them. Most times I would probably get hung up and fall on my face! Ill have to find a video somewhere on the Tube. See if I'd be interested.

29-Sep-17
Noc, stubbornness sounds familiar. Sometimes when we have a plan, we just can't see commonsense when it gives us signs. Don't know how many times this had happened when deer hunting to me. If anything, hopefully we learn something. Just means your passionate and dedicated. I hope next hunt pans out better for you.

29-Sep-17
Sounds like that trek was a dangerous proposition. How was the trip back out in the dark? I’ve heard similar stories of others venturing into tamarack swamps with sinking up to the chest stories walking in. Gave me big pause of ever trying it. How would you ever get the trophy back out if you got one?

29-Sep-17
Noc, I think I still have a pair or 2 of skis from when I had muscles instead of fat.

12-Oct-17
Life has been busy and I haven't been on the forum for awhile. I've been hunting 3-4 days a week now since the opener. Took a doe the last week of September. This past weekend I took a buddy of mine (The one who wounded the 7pter last year) out into a spot I found fresh rubs leading into some known bedding. Deer were up and moving early and he shot his first buck with a bow. A nice public land 8 pointer and a great first buck. I've been playing cat and mouse with a real nice 8 pointer. I've seen him twice now but no shot. I changed properties the other day and went into a really good known bedding area. This area seems to be getting used on just about any wind because of the insane amount of hunting pressure. 5:50 I see a deer moving from left to right and I get a glimpse of a giant rack. I don't know how big he is but he is big. He pretty much paralleled the cattails and disappeared as fast as I kid eyes on him. 5 mins later I look to my left and I had about a 115 inch 8 pt come into 25 yards and stay around for a good 2-3 mins and walked in the direction of the big one. So today with the switching of the winds. I'm going further away and to the right. Hopefully get on the same trail this buck took out. I had a slow start this year In September but October has been proving to be fantastic. Lots of sign in the woods popping up on a daily basis. Also watched a buck for 15 mins harassing the hell out of a doe. Trail camera pictures are showing mature bucks in daylight and very interested in does. It's safe to say things are getting pretty serious in the whitetail woods. I've seen enough lately now and I will be keeping the grunt tube close. Good luck guys and sorry for late updates. I will post pictures once I transfer them to my phone.

12-Oct-17
Sounds like that trek was a dangerous proposition. How was the trip back out in the dark? I’ve heard similar stories of others venturing into tamarack swamps with sinking up to the chest stories walking in. Gave me big pause of ever trying it. How would you ever get the trophy back out if you got one?

Oforalot it took me along time to get out that night. It's in the past now and I'll be back in there soon. Just going to take my usual route in and yes tamaracks always hold water but they are safe if you use common sense. Older deer live in these spots because they know it's safe from predators. Getting them out can be torturing. But.... I don't consider dragging deer hard work. The hard work is putting one down.

• Sitka Gear