Pi 18-Sep-17
Buckshot89 19-Sep-17
badjuju 19-Sep-17
Will 19-Sep-17
Pi 19-Sep-17
Dthfrmabove 19-Sep-17
Pi 19-Sep-17
18-Sep-17
Here's the story. I have a stand in an area that has been there since June. It is a telescoping ladder stand and when I went to check on it today. I found someone has taken the bottom part of the ladder and stolen it!!! Now upon walking out I stumbled into a trail camera about 100 yds away from where my stand is. ( possible perps camera ). Now I have been hunting here for 6 years and never saw a stand or camera here before. The only place to park to get in without walking a mile is where I have friends working and there is a gate that has to be parked at. I am going to ask my friends whose car has been here and also notify my friends on the police force about the incident. Coincidence or not about the camera?? I am also going to setup a well hidden camera on this persons camera so when they go to retrieve the pictures I will have them on camera. God can only help the SOB if and when I meet them in the woods this year!!! I am going to listen to the majority and their answers before I set up on this persons camera and wait for them to come retrieve it

What would you do in this situation?????

18-Sep-17

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Hope it doesn't look familiar to anyone

18-Sep-17
Shawn, sorry to here this! I don't understand how someone can do this but they do. I want to believe that the camera that is set up is not the person your looking for. I don't even think it's a hunter , maybe some random kids. Seems odd that they only took the bottom section and not the whole set up. I would definitely set a cam up on the other cam and maybe one at the parking spot. Try and meet the guy with the cam and get a read on him but I don't think it's him just my thoughts... Good luck buddy

18-Sep-17
That SUX, unfortunately we live in a time ya got to lock it up and hope for the best I guess, consider myself lucky I have never been a victim. I passed a tree stand (climber) few years ago, found a strap lying on the ground 20-30 yards away, I rolled it up placed it on the stand, I ran across that guy later that season in the woods, he turned out to be kinda a A$$. Never mentioned what I did for him. Oh well would do it again.

18-Sep-17
I would probably do about the same as you are. I also find it odd that they didn't take the whole setup. That makes me think it's just someone wanting to mess with you but not another hunter. A hunter thief probably would have taken the whole thing. Also don't think someone would steal your stuff and then leave a camera there. Doesn't make sense. Hope it works out for you.

18-Sep-17
Yeah they couldn't get the whole setup. It was tight to the tree and I took the middle straps off the ladder so it wasn't stable enough to climb without having a set with you. I talked to my buddies and they say they saw a guy they didn't know walking out around a week ago. Camo rubber boots and hunting pants, but he didn't park his car there so he is either within walking distance or he parked somewhere else. They are keeping an eye out for me and a couple buddies said they would patrol the area and give me a call if there are any cars parked there. I set up a camera high in a tree right over his camera so I will get a pic of him when he goes to retrieve his camera. So between the patrols, friends who work where he has to access and the camera I will be hearing something by opening day!!!!

18-Sep-17
I had a hoist rope cut on one of my stands in rocky gutter when i went to check up on it this weekend, crazy the lack of etiquette some people have.....

18-Sep-17
When i checked on my stand a few weeks ago one of the pins to connect my climbing sticks together was missing. Glad that was all they took, but still scratching my head asking "why?". Sorry to hear about this and hope you can settle it.

18-Sep-17
Keep a level head. I would put a note on the other persons camera. Something to the effect that there is some mischief going on and maybe we can get together and compare notes. Maybe he has pics of people in the woods ??? Please call etc. If you get No call , then maybe it is the wise ass that wants to discourage you. Don't worry about it, if that is the case he will know that you are sticking around . If it is just another hunters camera then maybe you will gain some backup and he/she will appreciate the heads up. Be proactive but not aggressive ...

Regarding the stand / sticks . It is perfect just as it is for now . No one will be able to mess with it , others will not want to get involved if they see this and all you need is a new bottom piece or alternative ,that you can bring in when you start hunting . Maybe it is a good idea to stash it where you can get to it and put it back in hiding when not hunting that stand. '

If the rest of your gear is stable . Check careful and stay attached ( IE: linesmans belt) for a trial run . It looks like kids stupidity . (same happened to me and I caught them on camera.) Maybe its the deer lovers society or possibly an immature hunter .

I have a trick (probably not original ) In that kind of situation , I have drilled some peg holes for a friend with a cordless drill and used 3/4 re-bar for pegs. 8" or so . Remove after hunting and stash. Safe stand and no more issue. It's better than a lock.

Good luck, it is stinky that that happened to you . Don't let it get under your skin.

18-Sep-17
Pi

Pulled the stand it's useless now. Was an older gen API telescoping stand and I am pretty sure they don't make them anymore. It was a telescoping ladder steps and stand all connected together. Maybe I will go in and poop under his camera. !!!!! Hahahahha ha

18-Sep-17
I see . Sorry for you DFA. Maybe the idea of removable pegs could work in that spot . If you will put up another . The note is still worth doing . IMO . Either way it works out ,the other hunter or jackass will know you are taking an interest . If you are sure it is the other person with the camera that is dicking around then you have your choices to make . "To poop or not to poop , that is the question ." Kill a giant , that is the answer.

19-Sep-17
I hate using screw steps because of safety but they really are one of the only things that deter immediate theft without much work required from the users perspective. Just unscrew the last 3-4 steps on the way out everytime and no one can immediately get to your stuff. I'm sorry that happened. Hope you catch him/her. Also those cheap dicks 20ft ladder sticks ($40-$50) are good if you replace the quick pins with a galvanized bolt, washers, and a nylock nut. Less than $5 at home depot and it requires hand tools to take them apart. I've been combining the ladder sticks secured together with nuts and bolts with all my hang on set ups and using a python lock, locking the stand and top section of the ladder sticks to the tree. Also a small laminated card attached to the pull up rope or taped to the sticks within eye sight with the simple words "Smile, you are on camera" usually makes them walk away. Just a thought. Keep us updated.

19-Sep-17
good idea Buckshot, I will look into that setup

19-Sep-17
Good idea buckshot!

Stinks Deathfromabove! It would be great to catch the person that took your stuff!

19-Sep-17
What would you do ? If you caught him ...

19-Sep-17
Pi No way to really catch them. I took the stand down but still have a camera down in that area too. If and when I get any pics of the perp on camera I will make sure to walk under their stand during prime time every time I see a vehicle parked there. If I do it enough they will either leave or get agitated enough to say something. Then I will very loudly reply they should have paid attention to the area where they put their stand. Because mine is a hundred yards down the trail. My stand was not hidden. It's very visible from the trail and even Stevie wonder could have found his way to it. Without being able to absolutely prove who screwed with my stand I am not going to accuse anyone just because they are in the area

I can't believe someone would be actually stupid or brave enough to set up a stand near one they vandalized. What tipped me off to the possibility of a camera or stand was little pieces of white trash bags tied to branches on the way to the area where my stand is. Who does that???

It is Not that far from my house so I am going to drive by everyday and check the Parking area for vehicles

19-Sep-17
I get it , it was really a "food for thought " question after Will's comment . All that ugly crap is quite unfortunate . We don't want it to escalate and yet don't want to be a victim either. Sucks either way. Some here have a problem with settling the score with known ass-heads . I don't know why , don't care either. It is a judgement call for each of us according to our conscience . Nuff said . Any more and Ill draw out the wrath.

. My guess is it was another (third person) who got stupid from finding a stand where he " discovered " a promising spot . Frustrated and arrogant young buck I would think.

I know someone through this forum who is hunting / scouting in my old areas. Great to compare notes and to see through each others eyes . We talk about the various land , deer travel and hunter stands (who is where) and the more I learn , the more I realize how much other folks are walking into most hunting areas. If it is a good spot , it is no secret- untouched -spot for all but deep in spots. Even there, it is no great secret .

The point is , sometimes we are so careful not to stink it up and some kids run through playing army or this Geo - cashing thing or a few dog walkers or a scouting hunter or ... And still the deer show up . Getting off point here ... good luck with finding resolution and ... Kill a big one !

• Sitka Gear