Pi 19-Sep-17
Spartan71 20-Sep-17
Will 20-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 20-Sep-17
arch2112 21-Sep-17
18-Sep-17

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
I bet they still sell these big things,.. this one was bought back in the 80's I recently dug it outta the way back and now have been blanketing my entire basement equipment room with it. I put it on a timer to fire up every now and then. In particular I like to run it prior to using the dryer so the dryer pulls in O3 and filters it past the clothes..

You can see how ancient the thing is by the faded old labels,.. but it still works,.. makes a smell like no other. O3 ,.. ozone.

I am a ways away from buying a new fangled battery powered one but I can attest that this one will remove smell from an entire house,.. we will not discuss my wild young side that led me to purchasing this back in my Youth... but yes it works.

Hell at least I did not chuck it when that phase of my life was over!

Lastly,.. all I gain is seconds! ? ! ? WTF! Refer to Drip Bags Thread,... LOL

18-Sep-17

Here is the view with it on,.. down the barrel so to say

18-Sep-17
Ozone works, no debate there. Both as a deodorizer and to kill microrganisms. It has been used in non hunting industrial applications for many decades. In fact O3 works so well and is so reactive you will never find me sitting under an ozonics generator. When contaminants such as odors, bacteria or viruses make contact with ozone, they are destroyed completely by oxidation. An extra atom of oxygen is consumed and there is nothing left...no odor...no bacteria...no extra atom, only oxygen. Ozone reverts back to oxygen after it is used. The ozone kills living things, what are you, feeling lucky?

And when does the replacement of woodsman-ship with technology stop? This is getting f'ing ridiculous, ozone generators, laser range finders, cell phone game cameras, drones to scout, yep I know of guys doing that and it works.

Going to go make some more cedar arrows. Tekoa

18-Sep-17
Thanks for the information Tekoa . Science is good.

That is a good topic and close enough to the tech topic at hand . Good stuff BB. " when/ where, does the replacement of woodsman-ship with technology stop? " Do you think that technology can really replace the knowledge of good woodsman-ship ? Or is it an aid to that skill ? I find myself less interested in gizmos but would love to have a good night vision Monocular for not spooking deer in the dark. What are your further thoughts Tekoa ? If you would.

18-Sep-17
Ya made me think what does it do when we breath it? I have seen it advertised for blinds though,.. surely no company would harm my health for profit? :)

18-Sep-17
X2 Tekoa, My Company sells Something similar to the Ozone Machine. Ours is designed to take the Odor from rooms, apartment buildings, Corpses not kidding. The smell it gives off after is similar to lightning storm clean if you have ever smelled it. Set it and forget it, but you can not be in the room with it on.

18-Sep-17
Thanks Bow- J Now I can take that corpse out of the freezer ... Interesting line of work .

I think I'll make some cedar arrows too . I don't use em but just the same.

19-Sep-17
Pi, Good woodsmanship wins in the end. The same 10-20% of hunters will always get most of the most deer independent of tech tools. I see the problem as when technology is used to totally remove the game animals natural defenses. Human hunters have always needed to use technology starting when some guy put a sharpened stone on the end of a stick. For the most part even when using modern weapons, hunters still need to get within the animal's red zone. That area where the the prey can use their natural abilities to detect danger. Now things like really long range tactical sniping of deer at 500+ yards or using an electric ozone generator while on stand pushes things too far. Even if this is a minority of hunters nothing good can come out of it for the rest of us.

Hunters like to portray themselves as part of the natural cycle of things. If the use of technology completely removes the animals ability to detect danger then I do not see how we can call it fair chase.

Tekoa

19-Sep-17
Thanks Tekoa , well said . I totally agree . That line wherever it is, puts the hunter into another category ...and Takes the hunting out of it . "Natural defenses "and such , fine point.

20-Sep-17

Spartan71's Link
Ozone is hazardous...you should not be generating into your house unless maybe in a sealed container with gear.

Link to sds attached

20-Sep-17
Have to admit, this is one that has boggled my mind - the "Ozonics thing". Not my cup of tea for many reasons.

That said, BB, I love that you were so stoked on seeing that info out there, that you figured out a way to use a tool you had to accomplish something similar. That's a good way to use a resource you had!

My suggestion to you, would be to let go the ozone tool, and just stick to the clean clothes, hang outside to dry, and store in a bin or contractor bag (I double em up to protect from holes) which you drop some dry oak leaves and crush up some hemlock needles and branches into. You pull your gear out and it just smells like the woods - at least to our level of olfactory power.

Whether you ozone clean your clothes or do the idea above, you are going to smell when a deer gets down wind - assuming the wind hits the deer. So the ideas above may help with getting in clean, but that's about it.

Safer, and simpler to keep it Au Naturale so to speak...

Love that you used a resource you had as you return to the hunt vs going out and buying an Ozonics or what not. Well done!

20-Sep-17
Yikes,.. thanks

21-Sep-17
Haven't used an ozone generator but for deodorizing clothes I don't see the big deal. It's simple and if you use it properly it's safe. Think about the chemicals in the soap you use to wash your clothes or body. If you drink it, I'm sure you are not going to feel too good.

• Sitka Gear