Doc 20-Sep-17
Jebediah 20-Sep-17
Tekoa 21-Sep-17
Sosso 22-Sep-17
bowandspear 22-Sep-17
Sosso 23-Sep-17
SloMo 23-Sep-17
20-Sep-17
Hey all, just after 2 years I was lucky enough to draw a Cow Elk tag for the PA Elk hunt for 2017. I will be bow hunting, as I do not have an LTC for PA. So I am looking for any help I can get to ensure that whatever I shoot, goes down.

My current rig is as follows: Hoyt Charger 60lb. Behman 400 (total 243.6gr. when cut to length) Montec G5 100gr.

I'm debating going to 125 broadheads and beefing up the arrows a little bit for more weight. I really want to ensure that whatever I nock has the ability to kill and not just wound. Also, any pointers from those of you who have hunted elk are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

20-Sep-17
Sosso, never hunted elk but be sure to check the charts before increasing arrow spine. A heavier arrow might pack more punch but if it ain't flying right it does you no good. Not saying it's wrong just that you should be sure it's right.

20-Sep-17

Belchertown Bowman's Link
This link might help? Outta my league

20-Sep-17
I have harvested 3 elk with a bow. I would change nothing in your setup. Maybe 5 more pounds on the draw to 65 but not still not that significant. Its where you hit them, Believe it or not in my experience elk cannot take the same pounding as a whitetail. Only other suggestion is not to use mechanicals in case you hit some bone.

20-Sep-17
Good luck! When I was a kid in PA the elk herd was almost mythical, as I recall (and not huntable). There was a place north of Williamsport where people would go just to try to get a glimpse of them. Great that they're established now.

21-Sep-17
Sosso

You may want to check the PA regs again regarding non resident rules for long-guns. Even Mass allows non residents to hunt with rifles and shotguns, The hunting license alone covers it. No need for LTC or other permits. You only need a LTC or FID if you live here. My nephew could hunt last year borrowing my guns, now that he is a mass resident he cannot. At least until he goes through the LTC hassle. Go figure.

If you didn't already know, the PA game commission maintains a live cam monitoring a popular elk feeding area. Actually watched a bull and cow last night. Google PA elk cam and it should get you there.

Good luck Tekoa

22-Sep-17
Thank you all. I did call the County Treasurer where I will be hunting. It turns out that I have to go there in person to get a Sportsman's Firearms Permit, but unlike MA, they issue it immediately. So, a rifle just became an option.

Road trip!!

22-Sep-17
Good luck I hope you get to put a tag on one and share your e experience here. In PA can you DIY or have to hire a local guide?

23-Sep-17
You're allowed to DIY. The only thing that still bugs me is getting it out after the kill (knock on wood). I'm going to try and line something up ahead of time.

I'll be sure to post everything that happened, and anything that actually happens during the hunt (aside from being lost in the PA woods). Also, i want to get this cow in the worst way. However, there's a big part of me that says "Don't be a wimp. Leave the rifle at home. Your bow needs a big kill under its belt."

Im headed out there next week to do some more scouting. My goal is not only to find them but get as close as I possibly can without spooking them or being detected; get a good idea of just how realistic my chance of putting an arrow in one really is.

Oh, and it's also deer season out there, so...ya.

23-Sep-17
I have a friend who just got a 6X6 bull in Colorado . I`m hoping I get out there next year. 55 lbs Mathews no cam with rage three blade at 45 yds. Bull went down in 60 yds. Had a broad head stuck in his rack from another hunter LOL

• Sitka Gear