Mike F 22-Sep-17
happygolucky 22-Sep-17
RutnStrut 22-Sep-17
WausauDug 22-Sep-17
Pasquinell 22-Sep-17
razorhead 22-Sep-17
RutnStrut 23-Sep-17
20-Sep-17
There was a mention of seeing 31 deer in 2 days of hunting on another post . Just happen so I'm guessing it was just a few hours on stand not sure . No matter how hard I try on public land I will never come close to seeing that amount of deer . What is your take on the future of a WI public land bow deer hunt ? As the gap widens it seems likely to me that a private land hunt and public land hunt will be so different from each other causing the need for different rules and seasons . More than that I can see the public land bowhunt becoming non relavent and even uninteresting to anyone new .

20-Sep-17
I’ll be honest....it is very frustrating at times reading some of the sightings and reports. Being new to the sport and hunting high pressured smaller parceled public land is aggravating! Last season I saw maybe 12 deer all season and that’s a range of 40-150 yards in eye sight. Being in the southern part of state there is bird and deer hunting occurring in these small parcels. To experience 31 deer in 2 sits would be extraordinary!

20-Sep-17
I hope there aren't separate seasons or rules but I get what you're getting at.

If anything when you do connect, you'll be able to have a huge sense of pride that you did it in a more challenging way.

Stay up.

20-Sep-17
I too am a public land hunter. Today I spent about 4 hours scouting a new spot. I hiked deep into a swamp mixed with small islands. I found a island deep in the swamp with trails intersecting. I was extremely excited until I noticed some steps screwed into a tree and a stand hanging about 25 ft up. Now this is County forest and you can't leave stands up or screw steps in so I was a little upset. Not only that but I figured I was the only one to venture that deep in. The thing that irritates me on public land is the guys who don't play by the rules. Don't get me wrong I will still be hunting this area, I built a natural blind about a quarter mile up the swamp. It is frustrating when guys "claim" an area of public land though.

20-Sep-17
Yes Badger! I think thats the biggest issue with many tracks of public land. But now you can leave your stands up in State land.

I get a guy going in the day before to scout and set up but I know of some that have stands in the same tree for a decade and view the area as exclusively theirs.

20-Sep-17
Well....I hunt my own property and only saw 6 deer. My food plots have been desimated and wirh very little rain it gives the deer th is gives the deer more opprotunity to go for other foods like thevhuge acorn crop we have this year. As for scouting tjis time of year deep in the woods...I think you are hurting your chances more then helping. You would be better toting a stand and hunting as your "scouting."

21-Sep-17
If you are hunting public land where it is illegal to leave stands up and you find them. TURN THEM IN!!!!! You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

21-Sep-17
I would love to report it and have it dealt with the problem is I don't know exactly where it was. I know the section of forest but I don't know if I could explain to them how to find it or draw it on a map. I doubt they would go wondering through the swamp just to find the reported stand. Next time I find it I will mark it on my GPS so I can send them the exact location.

21-Sep-17
Badger_16 I feel your pain. Born and raised public land hunter here... As time goes on, I find it harder to get deeper and further away, mainly because of the amount of trails and access roads created. It has become very easy for folks to get "deep" into what I once called honey holes.

Keep up the good fight, remain mobile, and don't give up. Sometimes the best spot is 100 yards from a parking area depending on surrounding pressure!

In regards to the screw in steps and situation you ran into. I have baggies for my tags and usually leave a respectable note in a noticeable area indicating that it was reported. The problem tends to go away. I don't like putting anyone else under the gun, but it pisses me off that I spend the extra $$ to be legal (non-screw in steps) and take the time to review regs, only for someone to take the shortcut and the easy way. Insulting to those of us who follow the rules.

21-Sep-17
The joys of hunting public land. Sometimes a hunter has to find where everyone else has been and hunt the most ridiculous and overlooked spot to kill a deer. I feel your pain guys I feel your pain. We can all relate to everything mentioned.

21-Sep-17
Badger_16. Just phone it in while standing there and they can GPS your location from the sheriff's office while you are talking to them.

21-Sep-17
Saw 10 deer last year north of 8. Thought it was a good year. No offense to the guys that hunt south, but that farmland style of hunting is like talking chevy to a ford guy.

21-Sep-17
Well I saw 13 deer north of 70, and that was during the ML season,,,,,, oh yeah by the way, it was all in areas, that you would have to leave your baits and get your feet wet.........

Wis public land hunting is a different animal, one I take a lot of pride in, when taking a buck.....Wis has some of the best public land in the country, however it is not all equal,,,,, it is not easy,,,,,, takes a lot of time,,,,, you have to cover a lot of ground.......

You have to have the time,,,,,,, it takes a lot of years, to find good areas, and a lot of springs, to really know the lay of the land.......

I do not worry about someones stand, or screw in steps or whatever, I have no time for that, I hunt and move on,,,,,, suggest you do also,,,,,,,, otherwise you will waste valuable hunting time,,,,,,

21-Sep-17
Tweed,,, you can only leave your stands on state land, north of Hwy 64 as I understand it....... Most of the stands I find, I would not bother to hunt that spot anyway, and glad to know, where that hunter will be.......

I found I have to be half mountain goat, in the sw hill country, but its worth the effort, when it comes to bucks, in my opinion...................

22-Sep-17
Correction, on National Forests and on some County Forests tree stands can be left up during hunting season. Use of screw in steps is not legal.

I hunt big woods in the north and I do not see large numbers of deer. Big timber is a different experience as others have mentioned. I don't worry about the number of deer I see since I have scouted and know there are deer there.

22-Sep-17
Stands on county property are different in many counties, please save yourself some agony and research the law in the county you are hunting. I saw plenty of deer last week in Iron County. I was well off the beaten path.

22-Sep-17
I was surprised how many deer people at our bear camp saw last week near Hayward. I saw 2 in very thick cover while hunting but many on the drives to and from the hunting site.

22-Sep-17
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

It starts with thinking the illegal stands are no big thing. Then you don't want to get involved when you know someone is poaching. Next you will find it convenient to ignore the neighbor lady that is being beaten by her abusive spouse.

Razor, I'm a little surprised you would use the "I don't have time" excuse. I know you are a good man and have dealt with bottom feeders most of your career. But now is not the time to turn a blind eye.

22-Sep-17
I've been lucky enough to be raised and continue to hunt private land in central WI and public land up north. My time and hunts and deer up north are more special to me because it is harder. It only takes 1 "right" deer to make your season.

22-Sep-17
Jim the deer are running all over the place on public land. They are running from wolves, bird watchers, squirrel hunters, bird hunters, hikers, hunters etc etc etc. You need to learn how to hunt and get deeper in the woods. They are like the Milwaukee zoo off the beaten path on public land.

22-Sep-17
Rut I do not turn a blind eye, and I keep track of the illegal actions,,,, I guess what I mean't is that the rut itself is short lived, and I have to use ever minute, to hunt and worry about other stuff later,,,,,,,

You can drive yourself crazy otherwise...... after then, I turn in locations, to authorities, to those I know are bending the rules, and I also take photos and positions ...... I have had good feed back from both wardens and USFS personnel........

stay well

23-Sep-17
Razor, sorry I snapped at you. You are one of the guys I really respect on here. I was having a crappy day and took it it out on anyone and everyone.

• Sitka Gear