Belchertown Bowman 21-Sep-17
DeanMan 21-Sep-17
Will 21-Sep-17
Dthfrmabove 21-Sep-17
spike78 21-Sep-17
Proline 21-Sep-17
bigcountry 22-Sep-17
21-Sep-17
What's your guys input on 20 ft stand? I have one more spot I need to put a stand on and it's kind of my best spot (I know it's late) but the action is crazy. I'm unsure if I want to throw my 20ft ladder stand or should I just use my climber/sticks? It's public land

21-Sep-17
Climbers on public land = others sitting in your stand if that helps

21-Sep-17
The climber is low profile . Cover it with brush / pine limbs / saplings maybe burlap and lock it. The ladder stand will draw attention if that is a problem with other people being around. Sticks are also hard to hide but better for concealment than a ladder if on a far side of a tree. ( I decorate my sticks with paint and limbs out the ends ) Especially down low. Save the ladder stand for a better situation .

But , If if is all you have then take a chance and remove it promptly at the end of the season. Double lock it, top and bottom ladder sections too. Maybe a cheap camera aimed in its direction for piece of mind. Think about bringing in a climber , ladder or sticks to place a camera up beyond the reach of thieves. It will show if anyone is sitting your stand etc. I like to tie a long tree (pine saplings ) or deadwood to the ladder uprights for a better blending in . Also for the tree brace . Zip ties work well .

21-Sep-17
Woops I meant Ladders on public land...

21-Sep-17
I'm not a fan of ladders on public. But, will use a fixed stand in specific spot if it makes the most sense or a hemlock is an option. I've never used a ladder, but they always stand out to me. Look comfy, but, on public, they definitely draw attention more than a fixed stand and sticks.

21-Sep-17
I hunt an evening with my climber then leave it overnight if I plan on hunting it the next morning. Other then that I only leave stands depending on what public land I'm hunting. My zone 6 spot in the big woods I don't worry too much about theft. Here in zone 7 I expect my stand to grow two legs.

21-Sep-17
That's interesting Spike,.. I think of zone 6 as crowded and move further north/out to get to "big woods",.. The lesson there is it is all about each of our perspectives...

21-Sep-17
After just studying the zone map again I guess the northern end of my range is zone 6 still so I guess I will take the above post back,..

21-Sep-17
JJ, I definitely have to agree with Proline. No matter how much you think you have them concealed on public land someone not only will sit in it but now you have given up ur spot to everyone in that area. I am a huge climber fan. With practice and spending a lot of time going up and down trees you will be surprised how quickly you can set them up. I also will do like Spike has said and Pi.

21-Sep-17
I was thinking of this post while sticking my climber in the truck for a PM sit in CT tonight... I always have a folding saw. Then I can pick almost any tree short a crazy branched thing or super heavily branched hemlock and zip up.

Yes, this may be a little loud on sit one... but then I've got a tree set, and can go back any time and shoot up to hunt. And, you can use trees that otherwise would be to branchy for a climber.

21-Sep-17
Yes hang on stands tend to lend hunters to believe they can sit in one if they find it in the woods. Kind of the I was here first mentality. I try to conceal my stands either really high up or in a pine tree. I ( always remove the bottom 3 or 4 steps ) now. Ever since I got to my fixed stand 3 years ago and found a bunch of candy wrappers and gum wrappers scattered around the base of one of my stands. I use a climber if I am going to hunt with anyone and will leave it at the base of the tree after an evening hunt, only if going back the next morning. I am a big fan of climbing sticks now but do not use them in very public areas. Too noisy to take the bottom section out and to try and put it back in. I use the cheap dicks 20 ft ones. For 50 bucks you can't go wrong!!!

21-Sep-17
BB, I find that the older guys hunt out in zone 6 not to mention guys that are ethical. Plus less guys walk by the stand in the big woods.

21-Sep-17
God Will your killing me.....you've got several hunts in now and I've still got that Home Depot hardware in my ankle. Just got off crutches since July 3. Doc said no tree stands until 12/1. I laughed....

22-Sep-17
I am a big fan of Climbers anywhere....Less for someone to stumble upon and possibly ruin your hot spot....I don't even like trimming shooting lanes....It advertising.....Just my two cents worth.....

• Sitka Gear