brokenarrow 26-Sep-17
awalk228 26-Sep-17
Bowjob 26-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 27-Sep-17
badjuju 27-Sep-17
Ungie01201 27-Sep-17
mrw 28-Sep-17
22-Sep-17
Has anyone seen the news lately,.. they say there is a chance we could hit 3x 90+ degrees in a row this wkend. Good god, that is a heat wave in late Sept? I was just watching the weather this morning and nearly spewed my coffee!

WTF?

This cannot be good for the early hunters in NH and Conn,.. ?

22-Sep-17
Well , not if they sit back in usual winter spots. Hot puts them in the coolest areas and you would have to push into those spots . IE: Get on top of their bedding in the morning .

22-Sep-17
I think the heat will help to keep them on their summer feed patterns... however, I don't think there will be much activity until the end of the night... last light...

22-Sep-17
Acorns are all over the ground ... Honestly , even my dog was munching on them yesterday. She is in competition with a few local does who are venturing out of the woods and field to feast in my yard. After dark. Easy pickins on the grass and driveways . They will eat at midnight -ish , rest and again before the sun comes up and then be heading to bed in the morning at first light. You have to find their beds and be there when they return.

22-Sep-17
Pi, be careful with your dog, acorns are poisonous for them look it up.

22-Sep-17
I've always disliked hunting in the heat... But so far this year, in 3 sits I've seen deer every time out, missing early this week (grrr) and then drawing back 2x yesterday on different deer - many came in from different directions and some how the only shot op I had was a straight on chest shot - which I'm not ok with - so I just got to practice aiming, and enjoyed the hell out of watching deer do deer stuff.

That said, yesterday felt cool, and was in the low 70's. If it plummets to day time high's in the low 60's all of a sudden I'm going to need to break out the fleece gear :).

22-Sep-17

Bowjob's embedded Photo
Bowjob's embedded Photo
The Heat is awfu, my buddy and I are hunting on Private which barely holds deer. There is State land that begins of of the private. We have a corner area on State that holds alot of deer but it's a 900 yard walk. To far in this heat carrying gear and climber so we're holding off till it cools at least in low 70's. I loaded a pic of one of the bucks I have on State, hopefully I did it right.

25-Sep-17
Thanks spike , I didn't know that . Stupid dog eats everything now. Well ,takes a taste and then at times she is such a food snob. She ate something (we think it was turkey sh*t ) Gave her such a bad bacterial infection that she lost half her weight . Since then she is munching everything.

26-Sep-17
Pi my lab mix chomps on them all the time and we try to keep her away but they're all over the yard. she now just chews them to bits and leaves them. same w/ sticks, chomps them to bits but doesn't eat them.

back on topic: High Temps it's been a little hard walking in w a Tshirt lately. I've skipped the past few days w/ soccer and just too hot to get out there w/out sweating my whatsies off. going out this afternoon and then hopefully tomorrow morning.

26-Sep-17
Massive swing in temps coming,.. large drop in temps after another few days of crazy heat,..

Then the heat will be done until next summer,.. WHOOT!

26-Sep-17
do u guys think its wise to hang a stand in this heat? i kno its a little late but im worried about sweating and spreading my scent in an area thats close to some swampy bedding area. i gotta get it up and leave the area alone for a few weeks either way so im probably goin to do it today anyways. any tips or ideas would be appreciated?

26-Sep-17
Broken - try to do it on the next rainy day and you are gold. Ideally in the rain - which can be a little slick so be careful... The rain washes your scent away fast, so whatever "mess" you make putting the stand up is gone quickly.

26-Sep-17
Yeah, but be careful. I think the next rainy day looks like Saturday, and there will be youth in the woods with bows/guns. Hopefully there will be responsible adults with them but don't bet your life on it. If you do go out then, wear orange.

26-Sep-17
Keep your stand outside now to get some airing out time, if you already don't.

26-Sep-17
And remember that pheasant opens this Saturday. If you're planning on putting it up in a WMA that stocks be careful and definitely wear orange!

Good luck!

26-Sep-17
Youth hunt this Sat and NY opens Sunday.. Supposed to cool down Friday.. fingers crossed they'll start moving with the cooler weather.

26-Sep-17
thanks will, brucep, and bowjob all good advice and kinda what ive been thinkin i just feel like im cuttin it close to opening day with my two hang ons

26-Sep-17
I haven't set mine up either and I'm waiting til it cools down. I'm worried about sweating all over the place as well brokenarrow. Just shot my bow and it feels like I went for a swim! Cold can't come fast enough

26-Sep-17
Best of luck Honestly I haven't done squat in Mass yeteither, I've been putting all my eggs in 1 basket in CT.

27-Sep-17
Today is the LAST day of heat!!

27-Sep-17
It is a nice cool morning but l'm heading home before noon and the heatwave comes

27-Sep-17
can't wait for temps to drop... Hopefully my daughter is successful Saturday and I can get it done Sunday in NY>

28-Sep-17
Down here in Z11 today around 10 or 11 the winds will pick up from the North and the humidity will drop - hard! Be nice to feel fall for a change!

(No, not hunting. My first sit is Sunday in Zone 2 RI)

• Sitka Gear