EBow10 23-Sep-17
muzzy 23-Sep-17
EBow10 23-Sep-17
Dthfrmabove 23-Sep-17
Dthfrmabove 23-Sep-17
22-Sep-17

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Oh boy this is going to be a good one!!! So I just got back from the scouting trip from hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to find new spots and revisiting old ones since the latest onslaught of new cameras in my spots. I visited a WMA in my area I used to hunt every once in a while. Well I tried to take the old, clearly maintained trail that was there 4 years ago. It is now not even remotely a trail anymore. I ended up bushwacking through it a mere hundred yards from the clearly posted and maintained designated parking area. Well needless to say 2 1/2 hrs later and with the help of a hunters trail that was cut at least 2 years ago. I found my way out!!! Now obviously this hunter had given up on that area too and if wasn't for him there was no way I was getting out of this area before dark. Sad part about this adventure is. I only made it a half mile from my car. This is the second WMA I have visited that is what I call, not huntable because of the lack of trails into the woods from the parking area. Between the lack of responses to the canal this year because of poaching. Sorry officers, you showed up a little too late on this one, and the lack of huntable areas down here I am a little pissed off at the DCR or the MDC or whoever the hell is running it now!!! Now I am aware that these poor EPO's are way understaffed to handle everything that comes their way. So my question is. Where does it start?? At the government level for not allotting enough funds for the EPO's to properly do their jobs. At the state level for not allotting enough funds for the EPO's to do their job. Or is there a severe mismanagement of funds by officials within the organization. It seems down here in Z11 the only way to have maintained trails on these WMA lands is to let the damn four wheelers and dirt bikes ride them!!! And god forbid that happens. All the damn hippie tree huggers are the first to call the police on them because they are ruining the environment. Funny thing is m, these tree huggers have the best maintained trails in the area. In large part due to the efforts of volunteers and donations given to the land trust organizations thank god some of them are huntable or I would be screwed. Does this look like a walkable trail into a state owned and operated designated hunting area !!!Alright my rant is over.

22-Sep-17
I'd much rather hunt a spot with no trails. Than one that has them. Keeps those who aren't as comitted out of them, but thats just me.

22-Sep-17
I'm with Murphy on this one, my two pet peeves regarding WMA's are 1) miles of adjacent roadway but no where to park and hunt 2) no barriers on existing trails/roads that allow atv's and snowmobiles in to illegally access them

22-Sep-17
What zone are you guys in???

22-Sep-17
Hunter ma where I am from in the state we don't really get snow so the snowmobiles aren't a concern. As far as atv use. I have shot more than a few deer in existing atv trails. One spot in Holden I would hunt a lot, the deer actually got used to the atv use and would just actually freeze and let the atvs pass by then go about their business. Down here there is not much of the so-called old growth hardwoods. There are areas of them but there is so much underbrush and picker vines that there are acres upon acres of impenetrable areas. That the deer hunker down in and don't ever come out. Lol. Totally different kind of hunting down on the ocean. I would rather have the big woods and hardwood ridges that I grew up hunting than this crap. But it has made me a better hunter and I have started to be much more successful the past couple years because of the different style. But again with the question. Where does our money go?? Maybe someone who is more active with the state wildlife management might see this and chime in. I have no idea how much might be allotted by the government to the state for wildlife management ( if any at all ). But all I know is. If the state has a wildlife management area sign and goes through the trouble to make a parking lot. The least they could do was put one trail a foot wide a hundred yds into the woods. Not asking to pave a cart road and make it a highway. We all talk about keeping the tradition alive for younger generations to enjoy and get involved with. How there aren't as many hunters out there as there was 20-30 yrs ago. Granted there is a lot of land getting gobbled up by developers, businesses and new construction homes. But if the state is going to purchase land or have it donated by gracious landowners least we could have is somewhat of a trail for my 12 yr old son to walk in on so he could enjoy the woods and scout and hang stands with me or maybe. Now I have been to 10 different states hunting and I have to tell you some of the hardest states to hunt were WV and south east OH. We called it the land of stickers,prickers and hills. But nothing compared to what I went through in these past 2 WMA areas. Especially since 4 years ago there was at least a foot path to walk through the woods on. Maybe it's different down here and they allot more money to the enforcement of the laws for the fishing and ocean. In the central part of the state there is no ocean so there can be money spent elsewhere. I don't know how it works I am just coming up with ideas. Is it up to the landowner who donates the land to do upkeep on the trails or parking area and the tracts that were bought by the state the upkeep needs to be done by them

22-Sep-17
+1 Murphy31

22-Sep-17
Zone 8

22-Sep-17
+1 Murphy. Many are only going to hunt where they have trail or open area for gun season. Give me the thick stuff

22-Sep-17
Zone 7

22-Sep-17
I remember back in 2012 I was running a touch late for the Ct muzzle loader opener. As I'm walking down double wide path about a 150 yards from parking area. I was "kindly" greeted by someone who was not to happy that I walked by him at day break. All could do shake my head. I can't even keep track of how many stands I've seen 20 yards off pretty well used walking paths down in Ct. One year there was cam on a path pointed at a run that was crossing it. I walked by it going in. Then on my way out I noticed that it didn't flash, so I went up and opened it. Someone had stole the batteries out of it. I hooked him up with some fresh ones out my pack. Crazy thing was there was no lock on thing, and It was a high end model at the time. Some people just blow my mind.

22-Sep-17
Dont get me started on trail use. The DCR's reaction to 30+ year old trails they "just discovered" a few years ago in Rutland SF has been wretched. Not cool at all.

MDFW's land (WMA's) are totally for wildlife, so they dont try, and I believe it's technically not legal to build or expand existing trails which may be on those properties. They are just for critters. I think some of the challenge you are having, is the region and the nature of woods down that way. Then again, I can say some areas I hunt in your old neck of the woods DFA, would be almost unpassable if it was not for the old ATV trails in them...

23-Sep-17
DFA, I get it friend but at least there is land. Maybe.... someone will show up with a trimmer ( the kind that landscapers use on brush) And tidy up the trail.

Maybe, if a long piece of string was tied to the beginning then the person would not get lost while making the trail . Or use that "compass thing" they just invented ...

And maybe if the trail started 20 yards in it would be a private access to the inner world of deer hunting . And you would live happily ever (12 pointer ) after...

Just maybe if we wish it hard enough...

23-Sep-17
Will.... you hit the nail on the head. The woods are different. I know a lot of you guys from zone9 west are saying woods are woods. But they are different. I grew up hunting in Douglas , Leicester , charlton and the areas of W Boylston,Princeton Holden and Rutland. Big difference in the type of woods there. The mature trees are big enough to block out a lot of the sunlight which in turn prevents the small stuff from growing on the ground. Down here I feel the soil is too sandy to let the really big trees from having deep root systems. So when a hurricane comes down here some of the really big trees actually uproot and crash and then here comes all the little stuff again. Now this little stuff will grow to 6-8 ft tall in a year and start to take over areas that were once pretty clear on the ground. Case in point. I have some of the best hunting in a WMA right behind my house. The deer are bedded sometimes a hundred yards behind me. Problem is you literally have to cut a trail to access these locations. Once you do,the deer will use them, sounds easy right? Try walking down this trail, then have a deer use it an hour later. Busted before you even get a chance. You can hunt the outskirts of the swamps and thick spots, but according to my gps the nearest open area that I can hunt is 2004 feet in a straight line. That's a lot of bushwacking to get to where I can shoot. I have a huge parcel of land behind me. I can basically walk for about 7 miles or so with no roads or houses in my way. But only about 30% is huntable because of the undergrowth. A dream come true for hunters but without some sort of trail system it's a nightmare to try and access

23-Sep-17
I have always hunted the thick spots, especially after the rut and the orange army comes marching in. But this stuff is nuts!!! There are some great areas out here but the guys who just leave a treestand up all year. Which is illegal but I am not going down that road with someone just to hunt. They have all the good spots taken. At least what I have found. That is why I am using the turn the bottom screw in step upside down trick. If it has not been changed by the 3 Rd week of bow season I will set up out in that area. Not on top, but close enough I might have a shot at a deer. I have tried the leave a note idea. Sat there all year and I scouted the area after the season was over and the note was gone and no phone call to me. Another great thing about this site. There is enough great hunters you can always learn something new no matter how long you have been hunting

23-Sep-17
Hope it helps you out, I'll expect monthly royalty checks.

23-Sep-17
I heard the deer have learned to eat the notes that way other hunters think someone is hunting there and it keeps us out. True story!!!!

23-Sep-17
Been using the tree step trick for many years. Also, if it's a ladder stand or sticks I'll lean a dead branch about 3 feet long against the ladder/sticks, if it's used the hunter easily pushes it over and up he goes. Don't wedge it in, don't want to screw up someone's hunt yanking a branch out of their stand. Some guys leave the pull rope tied or wrapped around a rung, just tie it one rung up or wrap it in the opposite direction. Easy things to do to see if it's used without screwing the other guy up.

Reading the stories about guys setting up on top of one another, limited space and tough woods and conditions, I'll take the slightly lower deer numbers in exchange for areas that gives guys enough room to hunt and not worry about who's that over there.

Dth, good luck out there. Sounds like you're working your butt off and feeling frustrated, hard work pays off. I don't think you should give up on the spot that you had a section of stand stolen, never know how much time he spends hunting, he might be limited to one or two hunts. If it's just a camera setup he might not get the pics he wants and never even hunt it.

23-Sep-17

EBow10's embedded Photo
EBow10's embedded Photo

23-Sep-17
Hunterma... checks in the mail ??

23-Sep-17
Should be receiving it by the first week of the rut. Lol

• Sitka Gear