RutnStrut 23-Sep-17
Bloodtrail 24-Sep-17
CaptMike 24-Sep-17
Bloodtrail 25-Sep-17
Nocturnal 25-Sep-17
happygolucky 25-Sep-17
DoorKnob 25-Sep-17
22-Sep-17
What are WI laws regards paying to hunt land?

22-Sep-17
Could you be a little less vague?

22-Sep-17
There aren't any laws about leasing land for hunting.

23-Sep-17
I believe there is a law which states if you pay more then $2000(?) to lease the land owner can be held responsible if someone gets hurt or if property is stolen. This is why a lot of landowners force the leaser to sign a waiver and have their own liability insurance.

23-Sep-17
Actually landowners are protected from being held liable for any injury suffered by anyone recreating for an reason as long as there has been no payment or other consideration for the right to use the property.

23-Sep-17
Skook, you are correct, except that the landowner can receive payment up to $2,000, as dbl lung stated.

23-Sep-17
Look up Wisconsin Recreational Use Statute . Pretty much explains it .

23-Sep-17
When I leased land I paid $65 a yr for liability insurance.

23-Sep-17
Someone trespassing on your land can also sue if they get hurt from a "hazard" you have not clearly tried to mark/restrict access to. Such as a cliff, drop off, open sinkhole...

23-Sep-17
Trespassers could not sue at all, and recreational users only could if you maliciously didn't notify them of a known hazard.

23-Sep-17
"Trespassers could not sue at all, and recreational users only could if you maliciously didn't notify them of a known hazard."

Actually they can sue and judges don't always dismiss frivolous lawsuits. Even when they do you are still out of pocket some defense costs. You can file to recoup defense fees from frivolous suits. But if the plaintiff drops the suit during the 30 days the judge has to rule, you are out everything. The judge could also rule that it's not a frivolous suit. Which these days with a fair number of liberal judges sitting could very well happen.

24-Sep-17
Anyone can "sue" anyone for anything. I can sue Captain Mike because I don't like the color of his boat.

Just because a lawsuit is filed does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the suit will make it anywhere other than the trash bin at the Courthouse. Civil law would be the only law that "may" even apply to anything to do with a lease.

24-Sep-17
BT, I want no trouble! What color would you like it to be?

25-Sep-17
Mike - Partial to "Brindle" - or, "Egg shell white"!!!

25-Sep-17
What a hideous color BT! I'm thinking of sueing you for considering that color!

25-Sep-17
My coffee is too dang hot...

25-Sep-17
Thanks everyone. upnorth - I'll check that.

• Sitka Gear