Dakota 07-Nov-17
Deerplotter 22-Nov-17
leftee 25-Nov-17
leftee 25-Nov-17
leftee 25-Nov-17
Dakota 26-Nov-17
Brotsky 27-Nov-17
24-Sep-17
It has been pretty quiet over here. Are any of you getting anything or have any good stories?

24-Sep-17
I got rained on HARD on opening day. I wanted to make sure I got out, but that was ridiculous.

25-Sep-17
As I get older, i'm less likely to go get eaten by skeeters. Higher risk of West Nile. Really don't like wearing bug spray. The only stand I hung was for a future son in law. It is his first year and he is wound up about it. I am really working on him to take the first available adult deer that walks into his shooting lane just to get one under his belt. Experience the thrill and gain some knowledge. And although the rest of the state is pretty dry, we keep get rain around Brookings. Would love to share some of it with rest of you but beyond my control. Never mowed my yard at all in June and now the stuff just will not quit growing. Going to cool down one of these days.

25-Sep-17
I wish him the best of luck grizzly.

26-Sep-17

Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Filled my doe tag tonight. The deer sure were active tonight. Now this weekend I'm heading out west to take my daughter antelope hunting.

27-Sep-17
Just Right. Congratulations

29-Sep-17
Congrats, i missed 3 deer on opener....and almost stepped on one yesterday. Actually one of the same bucks i missed opening weekend. I have been shooting my bow again and making sure i can hit somthing lol. Good luck this weekend i gotta work. Headed out west again next weekend.

29-Sep-17

sasquatch's embedded Photo
sasquatch's embedded Photo
Got first muley on day 4 of my trip.

30-Sep-17
I sure have been seeing a lot more hunters than usual so things must be going pretty good and population numbers increasing. Nice mule deer buck.

30-Sep-17
Yes I did see a lot of hunters, and idk how it's normally done but some I saw were very sloppy.

Saw one guy through spotter just walk non stop, never scan or try to spot anything, and he would just nock and arrow when topping a hill or such.

I guess he just walks around "hoping" instead of hunting.

01-Oct-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Filled my west river archery tag on Friday. Killed a whitetail doe last week as well.

01-Oct-17
Nice buck Brodsky! Public?

01-Oct-17
nice deer guys, keep em' coming!

02-Oct-17
Nice deer guys!

02-Oct-17
Sasquatch, that is a public land buck.

03-Oct-17
Dakota, Sasquatch, all Had a buddy in Harding all last week and he said all 3 campgrounds were chalk full of NR's, mostly from Minnesota. A couple vehicles from Iowa and only 2 other SD residents that he saw. Bare in mind this was during the week. Personally, I'd like to see that significantly limited. That's why we proposed the 8% archery tag (8% of Res archery tags sold year prior) limit on NR's. I've heard the same type of reports along the Missouri River corridor as well as other areas. Saw much of the same here in the Hills in a few places and when I was in Meade co the last several days. Anyway, if you feel the same, please consider dropping an e-mail to [email protected] or directly to Andy Lindbloom ([email protected]), Chad Switzer ([email protected]) or John Kanta ([email protected]) and let them know. These are three of the key players at GFP that will be reviewing all the public comments and submission for future season and license allocation changes.

03-Oct-17
What campgrounds in Harding are you talking about?

03-Oct-17
Slim Buttes and Reva. Camping spots/areas may be the more accurate term.

03-Oct-17
DR, the 8% thing would work such as, if 1000 resident tags were sold this year, that next year there would be a cap on 80 NR tags?

03-Oct-17
What was the third DR?

04-Oct-17
Sasquatch - Yes precisely. When we looked at the numbers from recent history it would basically be an every other year tag on average for NR archers. That's 'IF' they run it that way. They are also looking at making it Public Land tag vs. Private to allow an annual tag for those with contacts and permission but to limit the pressure on public lands and impacts to resident archers.

Dakota - I don't know the names of any of those other camping areas. Buddy just said 3 campgrounds (camping areas) North and South of the buttes. I'm not intimately familiar with the area as I don't personally go up there a lot. Possibly all the camping spots along the access road on the north side? First time I was there a few years back all of those were filled along the road to the top with camps. That would be speculation on my part though.

04-Oct-17
What day or days of the week was this and what seasons were open?

05-Oct-17
M-Th and only archery deer/antelope.

08-Oct-17

grizzly's embedded Photo
grizzly's embedded Photo
Hung a stand yesterday about noon. Doe and her fawns came by while I was finishing it up. Came back last night and got caught leaving the stand by a bachelor group of four bucks. Could not see them cleanly to identify them all but did note one tall and one wider one. This was the wider one. Could not see the last one. This deer was very helpful and ran over in the field next to the ditch before expiring. A guys got to take luck when he gets it. No mosquitos. Lots of flys last night in the stand. Very comfortable tonight. Oh, while I watching this one expire, the bigger one showed up. I am very happy with this one though and im sure he will eat well. Take care of him tomorrow as its not really cold enough to let him hang for too long. Sorry for the low quality cell phone pic. Its all we had. My future son in law has now had an opportunity to fill his first tag but has decided to hold out for a buck. His choice. He did help me dress this one and load him up. Another chance for him to learn some more. Good luck.

09-Oct-17
Good buck, congratulations Grizzly!

10-Oct-17
Congrats Grizz! Nice buck!

26-Oct-17

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Got these 2 with an outfitter. Spot and Stalk MD hunting is great stuff. I am the guy with the Hoyt hat. Other hunter got his on day #2. I had some operator error and finally connected on day 5/5 at 45 yards.

26-Oct-17
Nice bucks Will! Glad you guys were able to connect!

27-Oct-17
way to go

28-Oct-17
Couple of dandies there gentleman.

31-Oct-17
Awesome pics and stories guys! Regarding the NR hunters,, yes there are a lot of them but it would be interesting to know the financial difference in what is done now vrs going to an 8% number. I would have to think that it will significantly affect the gfp's bottom line and ultimately affect what is done with those dollars (or lack thereof). Is there a way to measure the public land pressure other than camper areas full of NR trucks?

01-Nov-17

Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
I got my buck tonight. He was the biggest buck I had on camera. I had does all around me starting at about 3:00. Just before 6:00 I could hear a buck grunting but couldn't see him due to the thickness of the trees. I grunted twice on my grunt tube and he came running. I shot him at 20 yards. It was a pretty awesome night, and my biggest public land buck.

01-Nov-17

Griz34's embedded Photo
Griz34's embedded Photo
Another pic.

02-Nov-17
Beautiful buck Griz! Congrats!

02-Nov-17
GIANT - Looks good

02-Nov-17
Awesome deer! Congrats!!

03-Nov-17
quite the toad! good job.

05-Nov-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo

05-Nov-17
Awesome buck Brotsky! You guys are having a good year.

06-Nov-17
Thanks Griz! The freezer is definitely full!

06-Nov-17
Nice buck brotsky

07-Nov-17
how about a story brotsky? Nicely done

22-Nov-17
Holy smokes! Awesome buck Brotz

25-Nov-17

leftee's embedded Photo
leftee's embedded Photo
Wow,have’nt been here in awhile and have missed some great deer!Congrats all!At some point,maybe this winter,I will try entertain you with ‘my Fall’ and what not to attempt when U get to be 75. Am now in Ks trying hard for one deer I have never seen but have pictures of. We’ll see but as of now he is sure winning and rifle season opens in a few days...... Anyway did get a decent one. Will try get a pic or 2 up but working off phone and being a techno idiot makes it challenging.Old busted up boy like me but Great bases and 15 scorables sticking up here/there. Good hunting all!

25-Nov-17

leftee's embedded Photo
leftee's embedded Photo
Try again.

25-Nov-17
Try again.

26-Nov-17
nicely done

27-Nov-17
Cool buck leftee! Congrats!

• Sitka Gear