BruceP 25-Sep-17
Pi 25-Sep-17
mrw 25-Sep-17
Pi 25-Sep-17
uron-mynumbahs 25-Sep-17
Dthfrmabove 25-Sep-17
mrw 25-Sep-17
24-Sep-17
... to mention Public places by name, find out who here is hunting them and start working together?

I don't know if it would be considered "burning" a spot. But, for example, there are several state properties that have a lot of hunting pressure. If the guys from here that hunt those spots actually talked, we wouldn't step on each others toes and could probably help each other out, let us know conditions, who's seen what and who's hunting where (so they don't get company - at least from here).

I got this stupid idea walking one state property this weekend and I ran into a few new stands on the way to spots I hunt, and if I knew they belonged to guys from here, I would give them a lot more respect than I typically do. Hard to believe but I can be an a$$ at times. But, I might also be able to learn something from how they hunt a similar spot to me, or maybe I could make a valuable suggestion to help someone else out. In my town a lot of the guys talk, work together and we all do well and have fun. It would also enable us to keep an eye on each others stuff. And then maybe I'll stop popping peoples night-eyes off the trees . . .

25-Sep-17
Hahahha popping the night eyes off. That sounds familiar. How about if we say the towns we hunt and if there are any matches we can take it a little further. I know that I hunt a certain WMA with another hunter from this site. We have worked it out and figured that we don't hunt close to one another PM's back and forth. Good thinking on this one MRW. I will start out by saying I hunt in Marion,mattapoisett , Rochester and Wareham

25-Sep-17
I hunt with some guys from this forum. We met in the woods, not on here.

The people in the woods are more "normal" than people on the interwebs.

25-Sep-17
We need one person to act as the secretary. Post as Public Registration Post (PRP) Anyone wanting to make public where they are will PM that person and that person / (Secretary) will update their post in a list form, as needed, with the "Edit" function. ( Handle name and location ) the rest should be PM To each other . The Sec. Re-posts as needed by copy and paste to keep this on the front list (Top 50) .

Example for secretary Handle - Zone - ( optional :short footnote )

Dthfrmabove Z 11 S - friendly man with extra snake eyes ... Kidding !

PI Z 11 S only weekdays

Mongo Z 11 N/E Weekends with black truck

zone 10 :

RatMan Z 10 C

Frankenstein Z10 S

Zone 9 Bigballbuster2 Z 8 S ( has a shotgun and 3 toes)

When walking the woods or see a truck in a parking spot , we could carry a few printouts / invitations to join us at Bowsite .com to get to know your local fellow hunters . IE : Hello fellow hunter , please join/ register at Bowsite.com / MA (not CT ) ---- Where you can get to know the folks that share your neck of the woods. Talk Hunting and add to our collective experience as Bow Hunters etc. ( Please Join if your not a Jerk ...) Or some such note. -Pi

25-Sep-17
I don't know ged, I've run into some doozies up here in zone 10

25-Sep-17
MRW, Let me understand this correctly...So if you don't know me, don't know where my stand is and I'm not from your town then that gives you the green light to go ahead and show disrespect for my hunting stand/spot and me? The popping night eyes off is an indication of your character. Do the tacks bother you or is it that you just don't want anyone else hunting? How about you just have some respect for everyone that hunts out there, seems to make the most sense to me....maybe I'm wrong? Stealing cameras, stands, stand vandalism, removing tacks....it's all the same b/s to me and it's called disrespect!

25-Sep-17
Cool it U-M . You are missing the point of his good idea. Obviously he is repentant and has shared his past minor shenanigans . That is a good thing ,that he accepts that it is not a good thing . That's progress and we are all a work in progress. Be more positive and constructive please. It is not "all the same" but it is on the same path... -Pi

25-Sep-17
Cool what exactly Pi? I read the post wrong? He said if he knew the guys he would give "a lot more respect than i typically do" Why do you have to know them to do this?

25-Sep-17
UM , You are correct in your feelings and distaste for such things . You could start a post of your own . Exactly :"Cool off " of the nit picking and agressive confrontation of a persons post and try to see through to the content he is striving for . Encourage the positive !

No need to jump on his words when the attempt is so obviously intended to move past that issue. He was honest and he won't do it again , I am sure. But to harp on his confession is not the sign of humility in you . PM him and ask or get to know him first . I think you are hijacking the theme even if we agree it is not a good thing to do (snake eye popping) Lets not get hung up on that and call him a terrible human being who must also be stealing cameras and such.

I do not support any messing with peoples stuff . With the exception of direct confrontation and clear proof , obvious trespassing etc. Even then with good measure and appropriate methods , such as a note or EPO involvement . His attempt is an earnest one to lessen the tension in our shared hunting spaces.

I agree with your concern but I also believe you are a bit over the top and off the point. I wish you well .

25-Sep-17
I think somehow his attempt at humor is being misconceived. MRW is one of the most outstanding people I know and I would be honored to share any woods with him! Yah, I don't know where he is going with this lol but I would show up and help track/drag one of his out of the nastiest stuff any day, because he has offered many times to do the same. Great supporter of our local Z11 hunting community. And yes we do share intel between a big group of us in this pocket of Z11. Im more tuned in to what others are seeing on neighboring properties and got help with new lands as to where not to waste time. Everyone respects another's hard scouting work and gives a wide birth. Maybe that is where this was headed.

25-Sep-17
I understand and agree with PI's reasoning and somewhat off topic but..... I use brighteyes sparingly for a number of reasons, but when I do choose to set them out it's because I think I'll really need them there. If I'm trying to walk out of unfamiliar woods in the pitch dark I REALLY like seeing the flash of reflection to keep me on course. Way uncool to casually pop off someone's tacks for no reason.

25-Sep-17
Pi, Sounds like you know him personally? He won't do what again exactly? Aggressive confrontation? Your kidding, right? Never did i call him a terrible person, questionable character yes. If you mess with people stuff and make it known for everyone to read then prepare to be judged, nit picked and questioned.

I'm all for the positive so please stop saying it over and over. Share your spots on the web, do whatever makes you feel good. I won't be doing it, just too many people out there that have no respect and common courtesy. When i do meet people in the woods (rare) I'm more than willing to tell them what i know about the area and where i generally have a stand. I hope others will/would do the same but 30 years of experience has proved otherwise.

25-Sep-17
If I have have a spot I have hunted for years and all of a sudden some one encrouches on it I leave a note in zip lock bag on the stand explaining the situtuation and ask if they would mind moving. I leave my first name and phone number. If they arent willing to move I ask them to call me and try to work out a solution. In my experience some have called me, Some have just taken their stands down. If the person is dick and wont move then I just move on. Not going to waste my time on that. Plenty of spots to hunt. I had one guy me once. The had setup a ladder stand and hadnt seen my stand. He said he put it up so he could take his young son out. I told him he could have spot and I pulled my stand. Gotta keep the kids in the game.....

25-Sep-17
I'm finding humor and good ideas here :)

I've found that everyone I've met in "real life" who I knew first from here, has been great. I think those of us who actually take the time to joint a web site and "waste" half our lives on here :) are serious enough that the common love of bowhunting just gives us a lot in common. I mean, that seems to be the case even for a birkenstock wearer like me :)

MRW - I like your idea... But, it does create some danger. Not in a "spot burn" so much as more of a general awareness that could drive those who just look but never post to generally explore areas and more so, to then tell every body they know about them. I'm cool with getting more folks out and into hunting... Just, how do we minimize causing a lot of general traffic in areas.

Pi's idea sounds awesome, no idea how that would work... but... what if we did some sort of an intro thread. Each of us "re-introduces" and notes handle, and where they hunt as was noted above - broadly by town/s or even regions. Others who hunt the same areas who are members here can then choose to PM someone if they may be curious.

For example: Will: Eastern Z6 and 5, NW Z8, West Central Z9. Combo Private and Public land.

25-Sep-17
UM , no I actually don't know him yet. I will let him speak for himself. I wish you great success and a wonderful hunting season . If you are in my end of Ma I would gladly treat you to lunch to get to know you better. - Pi

25-Sep-17
Sharing intel/spots through pm's with guys on here from your area could be OK. But for me anything more detailed than a general area (town maybe) should be done via pm. Personally, I wouldn't be real happy if someone posted the location of my spots on the web. I understand it's public land but I also believe it makes it too easy for the lazy guys who don't want to do anything for themselves. Guys who land in my areas because they did the work to find it for themselves, I'm OK with that.

Call me antisocial but I'm not really a fan of randomly leaving notes on stands and trucks directing people to bowsite.com. If the site is gonna grow I'd rather see it happen naturally as lurkers eventually become contributors, as I did a few years ago. I'm definitely not saying that I don't want new people to join in the conversation, just that more people means more different viewpoints which in turn means higher propensity for disagreement/argument/discord. I've seen more of that lately and personally I don't like it. Unfortunately, I've gotten sucked into a little of it and I don't like that even more so. I just think the growing pains of the forum could be better managed with slow natural growth instead of a potentially large influx of new people.

Not trying to hijack the thread in a different direction just wanted to respond to a couple of ideas I saw out there.

25-Sep-17
Thanks Will and ma , and any others who support mrw's idea. Good to know he has such respect among those who know him ( I presume he is a him) .

Now, I am an ax murderer and would like to chat in my basement with anyone who will let me pick them up on a dark night . (For those who don't get it . I am not being serious )

25-Sep-17
Pi, I can respect that, same to you. I gotta run out now and put my night eyes back up ~joke~

25-Sep-17
Who told you i have 3 toes? I hunt z9 and z5

25-Sep-17
UM, OK friend, we are good . Im pleased that we worked it through . Good will, back to yu . -Pi

25-Sep-17
Still - I was in the emergency room having my thumb reattached when you stumbled in. Man, you are going to need some new boots. What a blood trail !

25-Sep-17
Jim here. I am Z 6 & 7 bow hunter. I like this idea of talking and meeting other hunters. I always ask other guys I run into either in the woods or at the truck about their and my own locations. Respect breads respect. Granted, some folks are the way they are, but I bet 95% of us aren't what we all think the other guy is. This is a brotherhood. We are all doing this for basically the same reason. Enjoying the outdoors. Without respect, we will be losing the young that we need to be following in our footsteps. I drive a burnt orange Dodge 1500 P/U and it's usually quite visible around my area here in the Belchertown/Quabbin Res area. See me......stop and say hi.....I would be glad to meet you guys and talk shop.....Anytime!!!!

25-Sep-17
After my last post I'll try to get back to the original intent of the thread. The primary public land spots I hunt are in Northwestern Zone 10. I have run across other stands on occasion, I'd be happy to trade pm's with anyone who's in the same area.

25-Sep-17
Bruce you said it better than I can. General: "he guys, I'm sorta over here" can be followed up by specific questions in PM form. Smooth and easy.

Funny story drove me back here before finishing some work stuff.

Last year Eastie reached out to see if I would scout a bit with him. He knew more than he realized and it showed when he had a super year last year. Now, I've met other Bowsiters over coffee, you know, public places and such with lots of other people and likely even video surveillance :). Well, as I was leaving, my wife was like: "Are you sure about this, you are meeting a random guy in the woods, that seems a little dicey..." She called a time or two during the scout to make sure all was good :) ha ha ha.

Key point - it's another case of a bowsiter being a good dude in "real" life...

25-Sep-17

25-Sep-17
Zone 11. Southeast and south west. Public. Also venture in RI for early season, late season and Sunday hunts.

25-Sep-17
Geez who pissed in his corn flakes?

I actually don't go running around popping night eyes off of trees, but it's starting to sound like a fun new way to make friends and influence people. And no you hothead, I don't monkey with peoples stands or cameras, well, I have mooned a camera or two, but that's just poor taste, not theft. If it makes you feel any better, that comment of mine springs from having worked on a trail into a thick, nasty, pricker hell for three years only to have some nit wit put night eyes on the tree's leading into it. I didn't take them, so much as move them, in a big loop. If I remember right, into a nasty quagmire. And I would do it again. Probably moon camera's too.

25-Sep-17
Anyway, back to the point. I'm not looking for anyone to give even close proximities. Basically if I hunt Myles Standish, I would ask who else is hunting there. We can PM, or even discuss in broad, general terms on the forum. It's not so much about getting into specifics about areas or even spots, but to connect people that might hunt the same areas.

You help, me, I help you, we watch each others backs, help drag deer, share intel, have a couple beers, give advice, get advice, the list goes on and on how it can benefit people.

25-Sep-17
That's the focus . Who is where approx. so others can pm them and start their own private chat or club of neighborly hunters . " Who is in your neighborhood "

25-Sep-17
So i ask is it respectful to moon a camera or move/remove someone tacks?.... i dunno maybe that's fun for you. Seems like a waste of time and energy. How am i a hothead for calling you out on what you claimed to do in your original post? I'm not yelling or name calling in any way so who is the hothead here i ask you?

Hey man. moon away, remove tacks, move tacks, do whatever floats your boat man....these actions won't get my respect, any decent sportsman i would think would agree.

Geez who pissed in his corn flakes?

I actually don't go running around popping night eyes off of trees, but it's starting to sound like a fun new way to make friends and influence people. And no you hothead, I don't monkey with peoples stands or cameras, well, I have mooned a camera or two, but that's just poor taste, not theft. If it makes you feel any better, that comment of mine springs from having worked on a trail into a thick, nasty, pricker hell for three years only to have some nit wit put night eyes on the tree's leading into it. I didn't take them, so much as move them, in a big loop. If I remember right, into a nasty quagmire. And I would do it again. Probably moon camera's too.

25-Sep-17
I'm going to start, I'll open another topic for it. It is a VERY public spot with a shit-ton of hunters there, and not just deer, so flame away (I am flame retarded, or regular retarded - definitely one oo the other).

25-Sep-17
MRW .... Almost makes you want to cut a trail into a terrible space and put up a sign : follow the bright eyes and yellow paint . Great deer ahead , I have a stand and worked my but off but don't worry about it , I like the company . No need to shower , we don't. BYOB, chips and dips will be provided ... Internet service is available . Porta-potties too . come on in !

Then go hunt in your real spot.

25-Sep-17
Uron. For the love of god just let it go

25-Sep-17
Uron. For the love of god just let it go

25-Sep-17
I belong to another chat site about fishing and there is a lot of pissing and moaning and defending themselves because they feel slighted or picked on. Or just plain misunderstood. This thread is turning into that now and quite honestly it's not what I remember this site being about. Can we just let this go and get back to the topic. There is a good bunch of guys here and I have no problem with anyone here...... so far. Lol. Let's please find our happy spot again and get back to what this site is all about

25-Sep-17
yeah, that ^

25-Sep-17
Well said . DfA . Be positive and stop the nagging. You guys would likely get along fine at the awards ceremony ... Ohh oh , "This one time at Deer camp..."

25-Sep-17
I have to say just one more thing . . .

. . . got a lot of traction against those CT boys with this thread, didn't we?!

Uron, here is your olive branch: your point is well taken, and no one (including me) wants anyone messing with anyone's stand, camera, eyes, or anything else they might place value on. Perhaps I was a bit flippant and boisterous, as I usually am. My wife says I'm big, smelly and loud, followed with "don't forget hairy!".

BTW, I've run charter boats, your handle is the equivalent of popping eyes or even messing with tree stands in those circles.

25-Sep-17
How about this ? If you have a problem with something said be brief and without malice . Agree to pm the rest of the issue to death if you need to.

Take it out back boys , lets not have a brawl in our house . Ma will stop cooking for us...

25-Sep-17
ok guys I will please the masses and let this dog rest, but not without one last thought. I think my point was taken, which was we all should respect each others stuff. Yes my handle is meant to be a joke, nothing more. If I have a problem with something posted in a public forum why do I have to pm? Isn't it ok to debate without malice and harmful intent? I would hope so. Taking out back, lol. ok.

MRW if you need a place to hunt without all the drama you seem to encounter I can steer you to some spots where you prob won't see another bow hunter all season. These places don't come easy, walking a long way is essential but id rather have zero issues with other hunters and see less deer than be worrying about what others are doing. Z8

25-Sep-17
Yaaaaay!!!! We're all friends again !!!! Now who can we screw with next???

25-Sep-17
Oh, piss off Shawn! (just kidding).

Uron, even on public I don't have company. I am that dumb ass that get's there 2 or 3 hours before legal and goes slow and waaayyyyy back. Appreciate the offer, pass it on to someone new. And good luck to you. If I ever run into you, first beers on me!

• Sitka Gear