steve 25-Sep-17
Mike in CT 25-Sep-17
travistroop 25-Sep-17
>>---CTCrow---> 25-Sep-17
Lee 25-Sep-17
BoneHead 25-Sep-17
fingers 25-Sep-17
25-Sep-17
Question .... no right or wrong answer. I only made it out scouting once this year before the season. I have been out 4 days about 30 hours to old spots on state land. Im hunting spots that use to be good early season. Im seeing the sign of them being there. Just not when im there. 0 sightings on stand this year. I know its still really early. Should I scout out more in depth? Or should I rely on my old intel and runs that are used every year and just sit there without going to far in and disturbing too much? I do also have the option to put some serious miles on my boots now that I have the time , but i dont want to leave my scent all over now that the season is open. What would you do? My freezer is low on venison. Thanks for the input.

25-Sep-17
I'd stick it out there.

25-Sep-17
Depends on how many spots you have available.

To me, if you are not seeing anything at all, the next question is "does it look like the sign you are seeing is growing?" Meaning, are you seeing the same tracks from 2 weeks ago, or is there new sign. With 30hrs in the tree, if you are not seeing anything, I'd take the chance and speed scout-hunt.

For example, check the topo/arials of the area you are hunting, see if there is anything that jumps out as "that may be where they are before getting to me" or "That spot would really force the deer to move X direction" etc, just get ready to hunt and zip through those areas with a climber. If you get into hot sign, set up.

It might blow 1 hunt, but it might put you in the best spot you have hunted in a few years.

Despite the heat, to my amazement, they have been moving well. Lots of guys are shooting deer already, I've seen more in 3 sits (all public) than In all of Archery season up here in MA last year (ugh) and missed one... Every night driving out I pass a field (private) and each time there has been at least 1, normally 3-4 deer in it about 30-40' after sunset.

Makes me think, that if you are not seeing stuff, the best move is to move on.

25-Sep-17
Jeremy,

If possible I'd stay out of the woods until Thursday am; big changes in terms of temps coming and historically that cranks up daylight movement, especially if you're in an area with good food sources.

Early season to me has always been more about taking your shots when the conditions are most favorable; 85-90 degree heat is about as far away from that condition as it gets.

Best of luck.

25-Sep-17
I put a cam out in a spot over a month ago and when I checked it I had deer on it daily and at least 7 different deer. I have since checked it twice and had 1 deer total in weeks. I also jumped deer the first two times I went scouting but not the last two times. I found nuts scattered everywhere and I'm assuming they moved on to the next available food probably just a couple hundred yards from my cam. I say if no sightings and no pics then locate them!

25-Sep-17
Water..

25-Sep-17
Thanks for the input! Will that is usually how i hunt the state forests. Look at topos then go sit funnels. I will not be out until thursday a.m. unless it to go check cams. Too hot not worth it to me. I have 2 private land spots and 4 state forests around that I use a climber in. Notme yes I am thirsty thank you.

25-Sep-17

25-Sep-17
Find the bedding and move close to it.

25-Sep-17
i think the temps have something to do it...I am experiencing the same

25-Sep-17
Don't go near the bedding area, not this time of year.

25-Sep-17
wait till cools down and go to your old spots .

25-Sep-17
Agree with Full Draw; creeping up on bedding areas is a tactic best saved for the rut.

25-Sep-17
I would agree about waiting for the rut if it was private land, but on public I'll push it

25-Sep-17
Scout from Your tree stand.

Set up where you can f in nd signs and looks good and adjust once you have a better understanding of the area.

You act on 80% of the info and adjust and react as more info becomes available.

25-Sep-17
Might have switched food sources on you - must be some reason the cam pics are that tmdrastically different - night vs day wouldn't surprise me if you are pressuring them but to just not be on cam anymore I'd be looking for the new food. I see this in farm country a lot. White oaks start dropping and no more deer in the fields!

25-Sep-17
Hunt the trails in between food and bedding. It will Be a good weekend with the temp changes. Good luck to everyone! I will be making my first sit on Saturday evening.

25-Sep-17
I'd stay , Thursday and Friday will be a lot cooler . That should get them on their feet and moving better .

• Sitka Gear