gobbler 26-Sep-17
gobbler 26-Sep-17
wv_bowhunter 26-Sep-17
gobbler 26-Sep-17
David Mitchell 26-Sep-17
gobbler 26-Sep-17
wv_bowhunter 26-Sep-17
26-Sep-17
I am thinking about buying or building a hoist to go in hitch on my utv.

Gobbler, I think I saw where you had bought one once. Was curious if you have used it much, which one you have and what your thoughts are.

I plan to mainly use it for skinning...

26-Sep-17

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Yes, I use it often. The bed of my ranger is tall and with my back it's hard to get a deer in the back of it especially if it's a sizeable buck. I hunt by myself a lot and it makes it easy to get a deer in the back of it. I also have used it to skin but I usually skin in my barn. IDK exact name brand but I got it from Sportsmans warehouse for about 85 dollars I think. I've used it for 3-4 years now and it seems to be holding up well

26-Sep-17
In the picture the top is rotated inward toward bed. It will also rotate 180 degrees so the top is outside the bed. To attach and lift deer hoist is pointed away from bed. Once it's loaded and hoisted up then u just rotate it 180 degrees to get deer in bed.

26-Sep-17
Thanks for the info. I like that it will swing around like that. Do you happen to know how tall it is as shown in the picture?

26-Sep-17
I'm not sure in feet or inches but with an average size doe he head is partly on ground and a decent bucks head and part of neck is on the ground but still easy to load or skin.

You do need to remember you have something on the back taller than you're used to. I thumped it going under a fallen tree once.

26-Sep-17
Check out Viking Solutions. They have three different models. The L E Vator model does not need a hitch receiver.

26-Sep-17
I had a hitch hauler before but was constantly throwing dust or mud on deer which isn't good for meat

26-Sep-17
I saw some of the Viking products. Like gobbler, I had a hitch hauler once and scorched the hair off he back of one.

I liked their hoist, but the HME brand one I found allows the gambrel to go up in between two grooves and hold an animal still for skinning. I thought that was a nice feature.

• Sitka Gear