RC 29-Sep-17
Rut Nut 29-Sep-17
DanWesson357 29-Sep-17
Will tell 29-Sep-17
Ben Farmer 29-Sep-17
HARRY CARRY 29-Sep-17
DanWesson357 01-Oct-17
27-Sep-17
So it is Wednesday and I am all set for an evening hunt on Saturday in 5B. Just curious what your thoughts are about opening day this year. Looks like the weather will be good. Temps are going to drop here in South Central PA starting Thursday and looks like Saturday will be the coolest day in many weeks. Acorns are raining from the trees. I would be very happy just to be on stand hunting, will certainly take a mature Doe and would very much enjoy seeing any antlers, although usually have to wait until end of Oct. Early November to see any of the big boys around here. Wondering what I will forget to take to the tree on the first day??

27-Sep-17
I usually don't go the first day. I don't have anything ready, but I don't need much. Seeing very, very few deer, so probably won't try to fill my doe tags unless that changes. Not too excited about deer hunting, but lots of vacation time coming and seeing quite a few squirrels. Either way, being in the woods is better than being at work.

27-Sep-17
I feel like a little kid waiting on Christmas morning, it will be an all day sit for me, unless I can run an arrow through one early.

27-Sep-17
Dan- you should join us in 5C! I usually forget SOMETHING the first day. (a lot of us do ;-) That's why it is nice to get a jump start on the regular season. (get all the "kinks" worked out) I have about 18 hrs in a stand already and have a shot under my belt, but I am STILL anxious to get back in a stand on Sat. morning! : )

27-Sep-17
My thoughts after hunting 2 weeks in 5D. If you have any white oaks dropping in your area, set up there. They have moved off the other food sources during daylight hours, and are hitting the white oaks hard. Good luck to ya! BSked

27-Sep-17
I have a grandson chomping at the bit to go out, and that makes my day!

27-Sep-17
What BSKED said! ;-)

Saw it firsthand last Thurs/Fri/Sat! Staying in the wood lots that had Oaks-feeding heavily.

Very counter-intuitive to a big woods hunter like me, when there is good soybeans, alfalfa and corn that has obviously been hit by the deer right there. But I think as the oaks started dropping last week, it drew the deer. One property we scouted at mid day looked like someone came thru with a vacuum cleaner sweeping them up! Found 2 acorns in 20 min of walking the wood lot- and there were Oaks everywhere! ;-) Oh, and we cut open the stomach on one of the deer we got and it was FULL of acorn!

27-Sep-17
:) I'm just not ready yet..... Im the officiant in a wedding of 2 UBP members, Matt and Kristen- notables from "The Gutpile Gang". The wedding takes place Oct 14th. Honestly its the biggest thing on my noggin right now..... Next Im wanting to do a solo camp/hunt the last week of october into November. Im preparing to make sourdough biscuits from a very old sourdough starter given to me from a professional chef. I need to sample first though:)

And yes....... Read it again.....Im a marriage minister. So I have been trying to be a good boy....man its exhausting:)

27-Sep-17
Most everything is in the truck ready to go. Us girls are leaving for camp Friday at noon. Orwig boys will be there, with the fire stoked (if we need one). I was reminded again last weekend, how much stuff I don't need. I never eat as much as I think I will, and I NEVER need all of the clothes I take.

27-Sep-17
Good luck to all, and don't forget the safety harnesses! No venison is worth the risk

28-Sep-17
I'm excited to get my daughter out in a blind on Saturday!!

Like Jeff said, I have plenty of vacation time coming up. From October 25th to November 19th, I only have to work two days! And those two days are both Sundays:)

28-Sep-17
LOL! NICE Ben! : )

Good luck and be safe everybody!

28-Sep-17
Supposed to be 39 degrees overnight here. Have to get out the cold weather gear. Might have some deer movement in the morning after an evening rain Friday.

28-Sep-17
I just asked my daughter (9yo) if she was gonna hold out for a buck on Saturday or shoot a doe if one comes in? She said " oh, I'm definitely holding out for a buck " Then 10 seconds later she says " well, maybe not. I'll probably get to excited if a doe comes and I'll want to shoot". Lol!!

28-Sep-17
LMBO! Atta girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

28-Sep-17
My daughter was the same way.... until the first antlerless deer showed up. Then the "holding out for a buck" thing went out the window and the "I want to shoot something" kicked in. Good Luck!! BSked

28-Sep-17
Not very excited.

I used to about lose my mind with anticipation. Scouting, stands, practice, practice, practice...........

Guess I'm getting older?

28-Sep-17
Last year, forgot my retractable bow hoist that I usually clip on my harness to lift up my bow. Every year, it usually takes me two to three times as long as normal to get my harness on in the pre-dawn darkness. It is usually twisted up like a corkscrew! This year, I am hitting the woods for the first time tomorrow after work so it will be daylight and, I have the harness all straightened out and my hoist is already connected to it. I am sure I will forget something else though! Good luck to everyone.

28-Sep-17
Red, or like you said, you did lose your mind....

28-Sep-17
X's 2 what Phil said:)

28-Sep-17
I finished washing all my hunting clothes last night including gloves, headnet, tick gaiters etc............ Boy did they STINK after hunting for 3 days in 90 degree heat!

28-Sep-17
Mine were clean but I washed them anyway, even the wool. LOL. Put on the tick spray too. Decided I would stay away from Perry's bear stand.

28-Sep-17
Best weather forecast I can ever remember for a first day, my 17th. Low of 44 forecasted in the city down below where I hunt, may be in the upper 30's up high. Don't think I've ever worn the coveralls opening day but this looks like a candidate in the morning. I am going straight to a spot where I feel I have a pretty good chance at getting a buck coming back late to bed. Cold enough that I can deal with the meat comfortably, if the right doe walks by she is in trouble. Evening hunt I have no idea what I am doing yet, probably scout for super fresh sign and try to move in on my biggest known buck, I have a vague idea where he beds.

28-Sep-17
I'm heading out in a few minutes to get an early start. Figure I'll have the woods to myself.

Well, I am heading to the woods but only for a very brief walk around a nearby SGL. Going to take my bow and stump shoot along the way. Perfect day for it.

28-Sep-17
LOL Art! But don't worry about that stand............................it will be awhile til I get out there. In fact, a couple gutpiles under that stand from time to time might actually HELP! : )

28-Sep-17
Never thought of that. Apple trees are loaded down there.

28-Sep-17
Sounds good Art!

28-Sep-17
Heading out to a new spot on Saturday. See if the bucks are still there from August. Good luck to everyone on the first day.

29-Sep-17
You go Mike. Hope I get to see those guys at the Erie show this winter. Sounds like you guys need a family membership. LOL.

29-Sep-17
Good luck to the boys, Mike.

29-Sep-17
Good Luck Mike! Will be special for sure! : )

Good luck to everyone heading out tomorrow!

29-Sep-17

DanWesson357's Link
Hope it is okay to post this link here. Tree Rat has some great tips and insights.

29-Sep-17
Shoot straight

29-Sep-17
Good luck with the boys Mike!! I can't hunt in the morning (night turn) but I'll have my daughter in the blind for the evening hunt.

29-Sep-17
I might be on a local rails-to-trail, on my 21-speed. Just got new tanned leather bike wheel covers to match my tanned leather bike riding coat, and these really cool white flags tied to the back, so other riders can see me. Also, the handlebars are bent in the shape of antlers. I'll be going fairly slowly, so if ya see me, wave............ !!!!

Seriously, good luck to all yinz out there...be careful, enjoy what looks to be a promising day. And "hawkeye in PA", tell Tyler that Randy wishes him "GOOD HUNTING"!

01-Oct-17
Mike I have listened to that entire podcast 3 times since it first aired. Thanks for sharing your tips. I collected about 1/2 dozen milkweed pods and check wind with them yesterday. Hope your hunts with your children are memorable.

• Sitka Gear