sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

30-Sep-17
The end

30-Sep-17
My goodness!

Congrats Kyle! Few are as deserving as you for a buck like that!

30-Sep-17
Congratulations! What a buck, nice.

30-Sep-17
Haha that is awesome. I will miss all your exploits but dam that is a nice buck.

30-Sep-17
Well crap, there goes all of my free time this fall. Congrats! One heck of a deer.

30-Sep-17
Nice! Congratulations!

30-Sep-17
Well earned my friend!! I will miss the live hunts though. Congrats!!

30-Sep-17
Really?? Congrats but I look forward to your hunts all year.. Hope ya get out and do some filming!! Again Congrats on a great buck!! Shawn

30-Sep-17
Now it's bird dog time!

30-Sep-17
Heck yeah, Kyle! Great buck! Congratulations! Nobody deserves an early season dandy more. Nicely done.

30-Sep-17
Nice! Congrats!

30-Sep-17
Nice job, Kyle. Congrats and well-deserved.

01-Oct-17
You proved to the "cornholers" that it can be done right Kyle!

01-Oct-17
Good things come to those who wait. Good one Kyle, congrats!

01-Oct-17
Really pretty deer and so early, good job but the birds will probably suffer.

01-Oct-17
keep coming back to this thread as if it is still a live hunt. All I can think about is mic-drop, boom and where are all the haters that gave Kyle a hard time for holding out on what he thought was a trophy. Or as the conspiracy corn theorists are saying on the Texas and Oklahoma pages "ain't no way'

01-Oct-17
That's for all you do for the KBA and getting other hunters involved. I witnessed your generosity first hand at the convention this year. You're a good dude... and this is your reward. Congratulations!

01-Oct-17
Good job Kyle that's a nice buck. Congrats

01-Oct-17
Fake news!

Congrats. Sorry to see your season end so soon but he was definitely worth cashing-in early. Well done.

01-Oct-17
Heck yeah man congratulations on a well deserved deer.

01-Oct-17
Beautiful.....well deserved

01-Oct-17
Congrats on a nice buck Otis

01-Oct-17
Nice buck.....we need details sitO!!

01-Oct-17
Well done!

01-Oct-17
Congrats Kyle that is an awesome buck you got there. Great Job.

01-Oct-17
I bet you was a "train wreck" waiting for him to get in range!!

01-Oct-17
Congrats! So glad it happened early for you. Beautiful buck. Hope you got it on camera.

01-Oct-17
I want the Video! I KNOW after all these years you got one! Surprised after all theses years none of these dotards would know that!

Billy Bob

01-Oct-17
Congrats on a nice buck! Kyle, even though I don't know you, I've said before how much I like your hunting posts. Don't leave us out in the cold. You have to do a hunting thread this winter that we can follow.

01-Oct-17
Thanks guys, I had decided if I had a chance early this year I would take it and I did...appreciate the kind words! There's no video, I'll explain later...working with my meat ;?)

01-Oct-17
There goes your kill pics with that 200+ typical you were gonna have this year....

jk, Congrats!

01-Oct-17
nice deer!

02-Oct-17
That is a pretty buck. Congrats.

02-Oct-17
Hell yeah! Persistence pays off. Awesome deer.

02-Oct-17
really wide love those chocolate horns great deer buddy, have fun playing with youre meat (plad)

02-Oct-17
Congratulations Kyle on a wonderful deer. As many have said and all should know you have earned this deer. I'm very glad that it all came together for you to harvest a mature animal like this. I like many will be waiting to see if you hunt other states or game to see your post of hunts and adventures afield. It is what helps the rest of us stuck in an office or somewhere other than outdoors get through the day. Congratulations my friend!!!!

02-Oct-17
what part of the state were you hunting

02-Oct-17
Stunned. Great buck! Congrats!

02-Oct-17
Wow!

02-Oct-17
Congrats Kyle

02-Oct-17
Kyle, Good Job. Maybe this is my year to take a buck. As I kill one almost as often as you.

02-Oct-17
Congrats Kyle!! Couldn't of happened to a better guy! Now go shoot some geese

02-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks again all, I tried to drop him at a processor Sat and then I was going to head back West for Pronghorn but nobody was open or accepting deer in my general area. I ended up caping/boning him out Sat afternoon and then trimming and cleaning up the meat yesterday.

I picked him up on camera back in Aug, and had decided right then that if given a chance at him I would take it. I don't know or care what he would score, I just knew when I saw him that he was a deer I'd shoot.

I spent the entire last week in Las Vegas, sure glad I'm not there now...sad, scary stuff...what's wrong with people? I had been rained out last weekend on Pronghorn, though I did have one encounter and I blew it...so I got home late this last Friday night with intentions of heading back West. Looked at the weather and it was raining again with calls for a thunderstorm on Sunday. The main ranch I hunt really had nothing I wanted to go after this year, and battling the mud/tearing up roads just didn't sound appealing. I called that trip off and went to bed Friday night with no real plan for Saturday morning...but I set my alarm and would just figure it out when I got up.

02-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Rolled out a little late Saturday, not really feeling it yet and this would only be my third time out this season...heat, other trips, and work had kept me away. The wind was SSE and I don't have many if any stands that are good for East wind, just so rare. I headed to a spot near Argonia, most of you have been there with me on the live hunts but as I got closer to the property I thought what if...

What if he was still using this trail and still running with his bachelor group? The wind was blowing into the bedding area, I hate to even be in that situation, but if they were still out feeding it could work.

I drove past Argonia and headed towards Caldwell...going to take a chance and hope I don't blow him out early if he was even still around. Got into the stand with only 10min to go before shooting time, I'd like to say that's rare for me but I'd be lying. Most of my spots are 1-1.5hrs from the house and I suck at time management! Wind was as predicted, more E than SE but either fit into my plan for the time being.

It was quiet for the first 30min, except for the new oil well being drilled nearby. I was trying to cover as much of the area as possible with binocs and my "super deer vision"...but the tree's down there haven't dropped a leaf, and I couldn't see more than 100yds in any direction.

I'm almost always standing while I'm "on stand"...just don't like sitting...but I had just taken a seat/rest for the first time and over my left shoulder I caught movement in the Alfalfa. A deer at around 80yds, but so thick I couldn't see what it was...

Grabbed the binoc's and I immediately started shaking...it was him...looked like he was by himself and feeding my way? I stood slowly, turned the camera on and set it on the lane directly to my left, and the only really open area I had to shoot into. He was in no hurry going wherever he was going and that was not good for me. I'm not ashamed to say that I get adrenaline like no other and I was fully in it's grips. I tried to focus on the creek bed next to me, a happy little tree out front...hell I even told myself "it's just a doe man"...but I was shaking that whole damn tree!

He finally lifted his head and started starring at something across the field from me, I see it...it's a small buck, probably part of his bachelor group but he started right towards him. As he approached the other buck there was a fence between them, and a big dead branch hanging over the Alfalfa...he got to the branch and tore into it like it was November 16th!

At this point he is 40yds away, but I have no shot and wanted him closer anyway. He finished his arborist duties and turned back towards my stand...this is going to happen...and he's almost into the camera frame...

(this pic is from the morning I shot him, he was headed out to feed for the night. My stand is 150yds to the left of this camera, not actually on the trail)

02-Oct-17
Feeding...stopping and looking around...I'm still shaking like a little girl...

Then another buck comes in from the left, neither are in my lane yet, the older buck starts towards him and that's going to take him East back to the trail...and away from me.

I had one other small lane that he was going to pass through at 30yds, I'd have to sit back down and twist myself around a branch but it was my chance. All of a sudden, and right when my but hit the seat...I was calm, I knew this was going to happen and instinct was taking over.

He was moving slowly, and I drew...he stopped but he was quartering too, just slightly, and his left front was blocking the "zone". Waiting at full draw is a challenge, I know you know this, but it didn't take long and he moved that leg forward and offered a shot. I was leaning out and at an angle but I felt comfortable...watched the arrow go through but it was further back than I had aimed and I immediately knew it wasn't perfect.

He jolted about 10yds and then just stood there...all I could see were his legs through the foliage. He stood there for 3-4min and then started to wobble and I thought "it's done"! Well it wasn't done, he started walking and yea he was hunched up...we all know what that means.

I was sick and he was sick but neither of us was dead yet...

02-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I watched parts of him as he walked slowly to the edge I was on, but 100yds to the East, right towards the trail. Soon after he entered the timber I heard a crash...but not a "leg-kicking" throw's of death crash.

I waited an hour and then got down and very slowly/quietly retrieved the arrow. It looked good...but it smelled bad...this might be a long day.

What to do? Lot's of armchair coaches I'm sure but I thought the shot had hit liver and that he was most likely dead or hurt very badly and my "gut" said to find out. I snuck into the area I had heard the crash...there he is and his head is down...wait, now it's lifting and this is going to be a long day again...

I was at 30yds, he had no idea I was there, but there's a cedar between us and I cannot slip another arrow in. I'm going to stand here and think...30min later I'm still thinking and he's not dead yet. He was in bad trouble, and I hated watching it, but my fear was that I would bump him if I moved to get another shot and that timber is THICK this time of year. I had a good opening about 10yds to my left and I was thinking I might be able to sneak but he was pretty alert even considering his condition.

At 33min he stands up and I'm thinking no...this is going to be a really long day. He takes a few steps and then stops and stands for 2-3min...he's breathing heavily and he's still hunched up. Five more steps and he stops again...this time he stands there even longer but the good thing is that he's headed towards the opening and I've got another arrow knocked.

It seemed like an hour...but he started again and this time he wasn't going to stop until he got down into the thick stuff...it was now or possibly never. The second arrow was good, I knew it, and he didn't run he just trotted...I heard another crash, but I was doubting myself completely now.

I backed out...

02-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Got on the phone with my buddy Justin, luckily he was available to help but it would be an hour and a half before he would be there. Talked with my dad too...he was coming though I told him we'd be fine...he wanted to be there and was going to bring his best friend who's also my taxidermist.

Justin and his son Easton arrived first, Easton was all "camo'd" up and to say he was excited would be obvious, Captain. Justin and I hung a stand for the two of them on one of my spots last year, and though Easton hasn't actually hunted yet he is already hooked.

The five of us headed into the area I had last seen him...I immediately started looking for arrow #2 as I hadn't after the shot not wanting to move him again. I'm standing right where I hit him and staring into the grass when Ben(taxi) yells "Kyle...right here"...

The buck hadn't made it 40yds...it was the crash I'd heard, but I am not doubting or sorry for the wait. I'm also not doubting the first approach as he may have made it deep into that timber after he got up...who knows?

Happy he was done suffering, and happy that I'd had a chance to take such a striking specimen...just happy.

02-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
We got him zipped out and loaded pretty quickly, glad to have the help!

Then comes the work...I'm mostly done except for grinding and making some summer sausage, gonna wait for a doe now, hopefully make a better shot, and mix a big batch down the road.

The day was indeed long, but worth every minute!

02-Oct-17
Geeze Kyle, you could have aged the meat at least 30 minutes or so. :)... Thanks for the time line on the hunt. Ain't Adrenalin great.

02-Oct-17
Awesome story! I am looking forward to eating some of that jerky at the convention!

02-Oct-17
Good job, great patience. Glad it all worked out. You deserved it!

02-Oct-17
I was thinking the sane thing Chris but i doubt it makes it until then:)

Congrats again buddy! Great story!

02-Oct-17
Congrats Sito. That’s a great deer!

03-Oct-17
Great deer, great story

03-Oct-17
Checking in from PA. Every Fall I look forward to the Sito season-long hunt journal. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a fix. Congratulations on a great buck.

03-Oct-17
Great buck Sito!!! Maybe you can do a live doe hunt or something?? :)

03-Oct-17
Congrats! I'm also going to miss tagging along this season but just think of all the time this will free up for other game.

03-Oct-17
That's a great story Kyle! The description put each of us on stand with you. That's what keeps everyone fired up. Very well said and glad it all worked out. Great buck and it looks like he is being put to good use.

03-Oct-17
Great story Otis. I don't recall seeing one pic of a wrecked train either!!!

03-Oct-17

Garrett's embedded Photo
Garrett's embedded Photo
Good work

03-Oct-17
Thats fricken funny i dont care who you are

03-Oct-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks BJ!

03-Oct-17
Hey sito how far were you huntin from sedan?

03-Oct-17
I was actually in the city limits of Sedan Franky...atop the Dollar General

03-Oct-17
i looked up the county you posted looked straight west. looked like a lot of ag. out there

03-Oct-17
Yes, lots less trees where I was for certain

03-Oct-17
Nice job !

03-Oct-17
I don't care who you are, those last two pix are funny.

03-Oct-17
Well played, and thanks for the honesty as per the first arrow. It happens. The best we can do is the best we can do when it does.

04-Oct-17
Lol.....well played men.

04-Oct-17
Had to sitO... =)

04-Oct-17
Great buck Kyle and congrats on playing it out well.

04-Oct-17
Excellent buck! I love the wide ones. I hunt near Sedan, too! On top of the Dollar General is one of the best places! They cruise right down 99 during the rut.

05-Oct-17
i myself like achermans hardware store

05-Oct-17
AWESOME!! Congrats Kyle!

05-Oct-17
Congrats Kyle on a well deserved buck! I always enjoyed following your live hunts and you made the Kansas site the most popular of any because of it.

05-Oct-17
Damn Beav, you're gonna make me cry! I see you and your kids spending all that time together and having fun chasing all things...keep it up bro, that's what this is really all about! Thank you sir

Appreciate the kind words all around, and the PM's folks...who knows I may just crank something up anyway ;?)

05-Oct-17
Checking the site for the first time in a few months...BIG congrats Kyle. Phenomenal deer. Phenomenal story.

07-Oct-17
Hey sitO way to go CONGRATS on a very nice buck even with all the train wrecks you got it done.

07-Oct-17
Kyle, So, why not! Well deserved. Paul

08-Oct-17
That’s a great deer. Last year I enjoyed reading your live hunts. I found them joyful and educational. Gonna miss those.

What are your plans for the rest of the season? I hope you’ll be hunting with your camera. I like trying to learn new tactics from your posts.

08-Oct-17
Congrats Kyle,

08-Oct-17
LMAO!!! Shawn

08-Oct-17
Congrats! Gonna miss following along this season

10-Oct-17
Congrats, Kyle. Glad you got one.

11-Oct-17
Congrats on a beautiful buck!

13-Oct-17
This just made my day. I like others have followed your threads for years. No one deserves that buck more than you. Congrats. Dam fine deer. Hunt

22-Oct-17
Wow I am late to the game. I check the Kansas forum because I enjoy following your semi live hunts Sito. Congrats on a real beauty of a buck. Well done sir!

31-Oct-17
Awesome buck! I came looking for your hunt and see you're taking others hunting this year. Well done!

20-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Gettin closer to a home on a wall

20-Dec-17
How many inches is that thing sporting Kyle?

20-Dec-17
Are you mounting it?

26-Dec-17
Well damn. I usually head over this time of year to spend an hour getting caught up and it was over before it started! Grats Kyle! Great buck and good job with the story.

28-Dec-17
I just finished reading the threads on our Iowa Forum.....Took me about 3 minutes! You guys are WAY more entertaining over here!

Congrats on a great deer, Kyle! I especially liked your attempt at aversion therapy when the adrenaline kicked in. “A happy little tree out front”. I can’t envision Bob Ross sitting in a tree stand;-)

05-Jan-18

FIP's embedded Photo
Note the attention to detail in the eyes
FIP's embedded Photo
Note the attention to detail in the eyes
FIP's embedded Photo
Clever the way he placed the corn pieces around the cob. Not many have that level of detail
FIP's embedded Photo
Clever the way he placed the corn pieces around the cob. Not many have that level of detail
FIP's embedded Photo
The bathroom buck. Outstanding neck muscles.
FIP's embedded Photo
The bathroom buck. Outstanding neck muscles.
FIP's embedded Photo
His archery Bobcat from last year. It does not get any better. This picture does not do it justice!!
FIP's embedded Photo
His archery Bobcat from last year. It does not get any better. This picture does not do it justice!!
"Are you mounting it?"

He is........Kyle is a nationally renowned taxidermist. I have seen several of his works for sale at high dollar auctions. Here are a few he has done for me.

Billy

06-Jan-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I've got your turkey ready bro...$600 cash/carry/drag ;?)

06-Jan-18
Once again you smacked it out of the park. $600 is a bullshit number....I will pay $800 for the extra detail.

Sooooooooo are you mounting the deer yourself?

06-Jan-18
I think I missed something here.

• Sitka Gear