PublicLandHunter 01-May-18
Tekoa 02-May-18
Tekoa 02-May-18
bowandspear 03-May-18
PublicLandHunter 10-May-18
bowandspear 10-May-18
02-Oct-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
Venison Pastrami - 100% pure organic, acorn fed, zone 11 rock n roll alchemy !
Venison Pastrami - 100% pure organic, acorn fed, zone 11 rock n roll alchemy !
Seeing as I am going crazy with anticipation waiting for the MA Opener....

Last week I began curing 6 Venison Roasts for Pastrami (I have been hoarding since the end of last season like my grandmother stashed silver dollars under her mattress). Made it twice in 2016 and everyone went crazy over it so thought I would share the recipe here as I just made another batch, and everyone should try this. *Be warned, you will now begin judging if a deer should walk or hang based on the size of his/her pastrami roasts. I like big butts, I cannot lie.

1 venison roast (rear round)

Cure:

1/4 cup Morton's tender quick

2 tbs brown sugar

1 tbs black pepper

1 tbs onion powder

1 tbs garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

1,tsp allspice

Rub: (tweak it to your delight, make sure roast is heavily covered with the rub)

3 tbs black pepper

1tsp ground coriander

1 tsp garlic powder

3 tbs caroway seed

Apply your curing mix thoroughly working it into every nook and cranny. Then place in a Ziploc bag in fridge to cure for the next 5 days. Each day turn it over once. At the end of 5 days wash the curing mix off under running water thoroughly, then let it sit in a covered container of cold water for around 4 hrs.

Then drain water and apply the rub to outside, heavily. The rub mix can he altered to anything you want, I added caroway or other aromatics to the recipe I originally found.

I then put roast in a preheated smoker at 200 degrees. Different woods give different flavors or intensity. I like mesquite, pecan, or try what you want. Put a meat thermometer inside meat. You want to smoke this with heavy smoke until you have an internal temp of 160 degrees. Maybe take 2-3 hours. Then open smoker and let it cool off totally before you decide to put a knife to it. Then slice it thin!

Absolutely incredible with a nice beverage (hey, we don't judge) and cheese, crackers, some marinated wild mushrooms, whatever. All I know is only take it out if you plan on it dissapearing! We ate roast #1 , 2 hrs after it cooled. Then I cut each pastrami roasts into thirds (about the size you want to thaw out for a treat with GOOD friends and family who would appreciate it) , vacuum seal and freeze the rest. Do not even tell your closest friends what freezer you hide it in, trust me. And I have had many many people who say "they do not like Venison" go ape$hit over it wanting more.

Enjoy. And now send me all of your eye rounds lol. .

02-Oct-17

02-Oct-17
Thanks alot ,.. LOL

After reading that I have to go get lunch! :(

02-Oct-17
Oh man, after you said "everyone should try this" I thought you were gonna post your address and tell us what time dinner was...

02-Oct-17
Looks great, and sounds great!

02-Oct-17
At some point some of us are bound to get together, help track, help drag, bail $ etc... I will set aside some for that :)

02-Oct-17
Lol awesome hope to get one to try this this year

02-Oct-17
I am calling you to help drag out a deer just so I can taste some of that!!! I have one roast left from last year I am going to try and get the time to make that this weekend

02-Oct-17
Bowandspear, What's the address? I 'll be right over to take that butt of your hands. No one should eat alone.

Mongolian Venison

For this dish I use a whole bottom round.

season and grill rare just like you would for a big ass steak. let rest and slice thin.

Ingredients: • Cooked or steamed rice (your choice but we like Basamati) • 1-1/2-2 lb of seasoned (Garlic, Turmeric, bk. pepper, salt, olive oil) venison. I usually use a gallon zip lock bag. • ½ cup soy sauce • 1/3 cup water • 1/2 cup brown sugar • 2 tablespoon of minced ginger • 4 cloves of garlic, minced • 4 green onions/scallions, diced • 2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil • 1 tablespoons of sesame oil

Season meat in a large zip lock bag for several hours. Let meat come up to room temp. in bag for 1 hour before cooking. Grill venison to rare. Let rest 5-10 min. while preparing the sauce. Heat the oil in a med. sauce pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for several minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and water. Add the brown sugar, sesame oil and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat and set asside. Now that the meat has rested slice venison thin. Stir in the green onions to sauce. Place venison slices on a bed of rice. Add sauce,

Optional: This is why I cook my venison rare. When you reheat it it’s just right and hot! Heat the sauce, add the venison slices, and cook for just a minute till hot and covered. Serve over rice.

03-Oct-17
B&S, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE! I was going to pm you about it when you posted it up before...

03-Oct-17
TechFixer that sounds incredible, and the type of recipe I like to play with. Thank you !

03-Oct-17
B and S... I dont have a smoker. Thank you for causing me to want to spend several hundred bucks and add things to the backyard :) ha ha ha! Looks amazing man!!!

03-Oct-17
Will, besides the smoker in pic (my buddies, he wanted to learn how to make this with me) I also have a $39 electric Home Depot Masterbuilt smoker (kettle type) that I have made this in with same results.

04-Oct-17
Will, weber kettle charcoal grills make fine smokers. Just keep the temps steady and you will be ok. If you don't have one already people sell them on craigslist all the time.

04-Oct-17
Cool - interesting to know guys!

31-Oct-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
This really seems like not much, but is one of my favorite way to chew on Bambi. Any bread, the gooder the better, some sliced left over venison, some cheese. My wife took some nice Italian bread spread with butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. I sliced up some left over backstrap steaks and added some brie cheese - damn thats good!

I just had to share it with you guys. The picture doesn't do it justice.

01-Nov-17

Mmmm MRW!

Last Saturday it was just me and my boys while the wife was out so we made Venison Barley Soup in the cast iron dutch oven while sitting around the campfire. So good and hearty with some cold weather. My last bag of stew meat went to great use so now I have to get my butt in gear and replace it.

maybe 8 cups beef broth 1 large beef bone celery, carrots, boiler onions, barley, salt, black pepper.

Brown the cubed venison first, then add everything but barley and let it simmer a good long while to make that stew meat ohhhh so tender. Then add barley and palmful of fresh or dried parsley.

01-Nov-17

01-Nov-17

Treestalker's embedded Photo
Treestalker's embedded Photo
I can up with a new roast respie the other day

1 rear round Potatoes Celery 1 half onion whole Salt Pepper Lil woshtshire Thyme 1 apple halfed Blueberries 1 cinnamon stick And instead of water I use cranberry juice Sear roast in hot skillet toss everything in a crockpot for the day on low n cook it came out so good I weren't aloud any for lunch the next day Make gravy with drippings ad a lil more juice and some brown sugar. So good

01-Nov-17
Oh yes TreeStalker looks and sounds awesome

01-Nov-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Last weeks stew: 2+ pounds cubed venison, 5 beets, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 large onions, bunch of garlic cloves chopped, 2 green peppers, 3 jalapenos, 4 big carrots, 6 stalks celery, some new potatoes, brown button mushrooms.

Some oil in the bottom of the pot, I used coconut, cook the onions and jalapeno's until the onions are translucent, throw in the peppers for a few minutes, then add the garlic cook for a couple more minutes. Scoop that into a bowl, heat a little more oil. While that's heating in a big bowl put the meat in, add salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne and chili powder - and mix it all up. Put the meat in the pot to brown it. Keep stirring it around until it's all cooked. Pour in half a bottle of beer, I used Harpoon Leviathan's, and scrape the goodness up that's stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add the onion/garlic/jalapeno's back in, add the root veggies and celery. Take a nice long pull then pour in the rest of the beer. Crack open another one and repeat. Crack open a 3rd beer and reserve for the cook. I added a cup or so of venison bone stock and brought it to a boil. After that let it simmer for a few hours.

This is basically my chili recipe without the beans and tomatoes. This lasted all week for dinner a couple of times and a few lunches.

01-Nov-17
Mrw that sounds great defy gonna try that But basically you use a whole 6 pack to get a few drops in the pot. I cook much like that

01-Nov-17
Youse guys are making me hungry!!! I am stealing the recipes here and will try them at home

01-Nov-17
Damn MRW, i want some ! Thats on my list too now

02-Nov-17
Will I use a Weber charcoal for smoking its a big grill but I keep the heat right at 275 but trick is when heat starts to drop immediately start another chimney 1/2 full of coals and my rack folds up on each side so I spread the coals evenly on the sides for indirect heat with the vent for the lid in between the coals so it vents evenly.

I do want to try a water smoker soon though.

03-Nov-17
Tajue17. Check out adrenaline barbecue company ( https://abcbarbecue.com/ ) . They have a device called the "slow n sear" which literally turns your weber into a water smoker if you want. Watch some of the videos, I wont buy another smoker again after getting that thing for my weber. There's a trough on the side that holds water for when your smoking meats to better control the humidity inside the weber. It really is a game changer for indirect cooking/smoking. Also the temps holds a lot more consistently. I've smoked a 9lb pork shoulder at 225-250 with one full basket of charcoal started with a full chimney at one end and it held temps for over 8 hours.

09-Nov-17
Just had to go back to this to get that pastrami recipe now that I have some meat in the freezer can’t wait to try this!!!

09-Nov-17

Go for it Ebow! We wee butchering my buddies doe last Sunday night and got 6 pastrami roasts set aside curing fir thus weekend. Time to go get my own pastramis

09-Nov-17
I am in the need for some good sausage recipes guys, anyone got any? I have made a few before. Some fresh (not cured) sausage would be ideal.

19-Nov-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Guys, if you haven't tried the heart yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. We cut the fat and fibrous tissue off, slice it about 3/4" thick, salt/pepper/garlic powder, fry in butter until golden brown med rare inside. My 9 year old demands it, the rest of us really enjoy it.

19-Nov-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Doesn't last too long either. She left her mother a couple bites.

19-Nov-17
MRW, thats awesome! This was my first year trying heart, and its delicious!! Cooked it the same way you posted above, but sautéed peppers, onions, and hen of the woods shrooms to go with it. So good!

19-Nov-17
I love it sauteed like that and Moons I bet the hens are awesome with it. Mark I have a feeling she is going to get a beast if a hunter soon. I'm looking forward to trying a stuffed deer heart slow cooked wrapped with caul fat, I have a recipe from the 1700's. Evidently it was a favorite of Benjamin Franklin's served in a Philadelphia Tavern. If any of you ever watch a great cooking show called "A taste of history", chef Walter Staub - he covers alot of wild game dishes that were popular 1700 -1800's.

19-Nov-17
Anybody watch "meat eater" on Netflix? I never had an account until one of my buddies showed me that Series. The guy is great highly recommended it.

19-Nov-17

Deerdawg's embedded Photo
Hot Teriyaki Jerky
Hot Teriyaki Jerky

19-Nov-17
Long before I ever hunted my mother couldn't wait to cook the heart, it was the first meal of the harvest always. Sliced 1/4 -3/8 thick dipped in egg, then flour salt& pepper. Fried on low to med heat in butter. Snooze u loose!

19-Nov-17

Venison bacon meatballs
Venison bacon meatballs

19-Nov-17
Grind all my venison with bacon. Try a venison bacon burger with a touch of BBQ (before cooking) with chopped onions piece of cheese and a toasted bun. Delicious.

19-Nov-17
COOK BACON BEFORE GRIND. that way you can cook the burger medium rare.

19-Nov-17
Made 40 lbs of burger and sausage . I add pork butt ,the cooked Bacon & spices to burger. Colby Jack cheese, pork shoulder, bacon & spices to make sausage pattys. Ether makes a great add to chop suey in the crock pot. Makes for good seat tunes ! Go gettim Moons

19-Nov-17
Made 40 lbs of burger and sausage . I add pork butt ,the cooked Bacon & spices to burger. Colby Jack cheese, pork shoulder, bacon & spices to make sausage pattys. Ether makes a great add to chop suey in the crock pot. Makes for good seat tunes ! Go gettim Moons

30-Nov-17
I'm definitely trying the pastrami recipe once I get my hands on some tender quick.

I made some summer sausage using Cabela's brand Hunter's summer sausage kit. I like a sweeter sausage, so I added a bottle of maple syrup and about three cups packed dark brown sugar to the 25lbs of meat. (5 pork, 20 deer) smoked them with Jack Daniels barrel chips. Turned out pretty damn good.

30-Nov-17
PLH that sounds tasty! Ask MRW about the pastrami lol. I brought some to a little local hunter gathering last weekend and it was devoured.

30-Nov-17
It was more work than I realized because I hand ground, hand mixed, re-ground, and hand stuffed. I need to buy an electric grinder and sausage stuffer next time, but it was worth it.

30-Nov-17
That pastrami was incredible, and didn't last long!

03-Dec-17

1SG Ret's embedded Photo
The before picture
1SG Ret's embedded Photo
The before picture
4-5lb Axis roast, carrots,celery, onions, potatoes. Rosemary, garlic cloves, onion powder, salt, pepper, olive oil drizzle 2-3 cups of water (1/2”) bottom of roasting pan cook at 325 for 2-3 hours until internal temp is 160 pics when we reach that point.

19-Dec-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
2 front shanks, braided in olive oil with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then into the crick pot on low all day with onions, new potatoes, carrots and some garlic. A nice IPA for liquid, and a half can of water. Got home tonight to the most fabulous smell. Bones slid out of the meat. The broth was rich and delicious. The meat was like heaven. Wife and 2 girls attacked it hard. Save those shanks all you lazy grinders!

19-Dec-17
Sorry, picture was after the girls assaulted it!

20-Dec-17
Mmmmm MRW!

20-Dec-17

6 Venison Roasts that have been curing 5 days. On there way to becoming pastrami. I have to turn these over twice a day which is 2 of the happy moments in my day lol. These 6 came from the two rear quarters of a doe he took early in season but he has some health issues to deal with so I am the Alchemist for him. One more day curing, then a rinse and soak for a couple of hours then it's time to apply the final rub and punish them in the smoker... which is a Holiday in itself.

24-Dec-17

Sosso's embedded Photo
Sosso's embedded Photo
Rendered duck fat with Moroccan spices, 40 hour sousvied.

Sliced thin, with mint and pomegranate...sliders.

24-Dec-17

Sosso's embedded Photo
Sosso's embedded Photo
Sosso's embedded Photo
Sosso's embedded Photo
Rendered duck fat with Moroccan spices, 40 hour sousvied.

Sliced thin, with mint and pomegranate...sliders.

24-Dec-17
Sosso can you elaborate a bit?? Looks good!

24-Dec-17

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Ha Ha, just finished the holiday grind !

25-Dec-17
Sosso sousvied is next level stuff. Well done, it looks awesome

25-Dec-17
Ensure silver skin is removed.

Blanch the roast in boiling water for 10 seconds to kill surface bacteria (very important when using souvied). Set aside roast.

In a pan place 4oz. Duck fat, chopped onions, garlic, carrots, Moroccan spices, and slowly carmalize everything. Once the veggies have given up all their liquid (about 6 -8 minutes) remove veggies from pan.

Place venison and remaining contents of pan into vacuum bag. Vacuum seal bag.

Set souvied to 138 deg. F. Once temperatures is stable (here’s where you have to work backward) place bag in souvied for 40 hours.

Remove venison from bag, careful not to lose juices. Put venison aside. Pour juices into bowl.

Set pan to high heat, add butter, and put roast in about 40 seconds, turn over and repeat. You just want to sear it. Remove venison and put aside.

Put contents of bowl into sear pan. Scrape the pan and add 1.5-2 cups of pomegranate juice and reduce until thick.

Thinly slice venison roast about 1/8 to 3/16s. Pick at it because it’s amazing. Share some with people around you to assert your hunting and culinary prowess.

Mix meat and reduced sauce in bowl. Serve on toasted butter rolls with a couple of pomegranate seeds and 2-3 leaves of mint.

Relax because you’re the f-ing man!!

29-Dec-17

PublicLandHunter's embedded Photo
Venison ham cured by a smoke shop in NY. (It's good to have friends). Bacon and brown sugar on top, carrots, onion, apples, fresh cranberries, and green beans in the bottom, apple cider in the pan to keep it moist. Didn't eat yet, but I doubt there will be leftovers.

01-Jan-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Bringing in the new year right. Will be ready for the smoker tomorrow. 2 summer sausages with a little extra jalapeño added and the others are snack sticks ( slim jims ). Kids can't get enough of the snack sticks usually last 3-4 days

01-Jan-18
Looks good guys!

02-Jan-18
Thanks Sosso!!! Public that looks amazing, never had one before . DFA those look great!!!

03-Jan-18
Ok guys I see all the recipes and they look wonderful. Here’s my favorite take on a hearty cold weather venison stew I have perfected over time. Try it out let me know how I did. My family loves it especially my dad. Our favorite substitutes a Guinness pint instead of red wine and we always include the cayenne pepper instead of leaving it out. We love the spice kick it gives the stew.

“Stew seasoning”:

2tbs paprika, 2tbs Salt, 2tbs garlic powder, 1tbs pepper, 1tbs onion powder, 1tbs oregano, 1tbs thyme, 1tbs cayenne pepper (optional) and 1/3 cup all purpose flour. (Note: Cayenne pepper is wicked spicy so be careful.)

Main ingredients:

-2lbs venison stew meat (trimmed and cubed) -4 cups beef broth -2 cups chopped onions -1-1/2 cups chopped celery -1-1/2 cups chopped carrots -1 cup chopped green beans -1 cup yellow sweet corn -1 cup snap peas or loose peas -1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 OZ or greater) -1tbs chopped garlic -2 bay leaves -1 pint of Guinness draught stout (nitrogenated can) or 1 cup of red wine -3tbs olive oil or vegetable oil (My family tries to cut out carbs and my women doesn't do potatoes or bread so if you include any sort of potatoes make sure to add an additional 1/2 - 1 cup of liquid - water or beef stock) Instructions: In a pot, over high heat, add the olive oil. In a mixing bowl, toss the venison with the "stew seasoning" making sure all pieces are coated on all sides. When the oil is hot, brown the meat for 2 to 3 minutes per side turning occasionally. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and sauté for a couple of minutes to release the aromas (you'll know what I'm talking about). Add the garlic, diced tomatoes, and bay leaves to the pan. Season everything with salt and pepper if you want. Now deglaze the pan with the Guinness or red wine and add the beef stock. Bring everything up to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Slow simmer the stew for 45 minutes or until the meat is very tender. Add the green beans, corn, and peas. Bring back to slow simmer for another 20 min. And last but not least grab another pint of beer, a nice big fresh chunk of baguette or crusty bread, pour a nice big bowl and enjoy! I shared this recipe on a facebook page and received great feed back so I figured I'd share it with all of you as well.

03-Jan-18

Buckshot89's embedded Photo
Stew from recipe above
Buckshot89's embedded Photo
Stew from recipe above

03-Jan-18
You guys suck! I'm sitting here at work starving!!!

When you guys are butchering, save some of your bones and make bone stock to use in place of beef or chicken broth. You guys that have your deer butchered can ask them to save you a few bones as well. Deer bones make an incredibly rich and delicious stock!

03-Jan-18
MRW. Do you roast the bones first like other stocks???

03-Jan-18
That's interesting about the stock. When we were cutting up my buck last week my daughter asked me about saving the bones for stock. I told her it probably wouldn't be any good for that. Shows how much I know...

05-Jan-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
chicken fried venison steak with gravy, mashies, and carrots. I'll have to dig up the recipe.

05-Jan-18

Mako73's embedded Photo
Mako73's embedded Photo
Mako73's embedded Photo
Mako73's embedded Photo
Stuffed backstrap with cream cheese, jalapenos and onions wrapped in bacon

05-Jan-18
DFA, I don't roast them, just throw them in a big pot with some veggies and simmer them all day. I'll have to try roasting. I'm no great cook, just have a habit of winding up with great ingredients.

05-Jan-18
Mako that looks phenomenal. How about some mako shark recipes?? A kid I hunted with in blue hills is a big shark fisherman.. I'll be going with him this summer

05-Jan-18

Mako, swordfish and thresher are all the same type of fish.

Olive oil, lemon juice, salt,pepper and a little fresh thyme. Marinate for and hour and throw on a hot grill. Cook it just like swordfish. Phenomenal taste and great texture. Good friend of mine owns a charter and he treated me well last year. The client did not want the fish to take home so I had 120-150 lbs of thresher to take and give away. Needless to say I did not realize how precious the meat was till I started asking around to some friends. I only ended up with 8 pounds!!!!

05-Jan-18
No great cook huh ?? That's what all the great one say. Over the years I have seen some pretty good looking dishes from you. Don't sell yourself short, anyone who puts as many deer in the freezer as you knows a trick or two. I will have to try and get some stock from the bones next year, thanks for the tip. Have you ever tried the marrow route with any of the larger leg bones. I am a food network junkie and see marrow bones all the time on the food network wondering if you or anyone here has tried it

08-Jan-18
DEER SCRAPPLE

This recipe is very flexible to your own personal tastes and preferences, so experiment and adjust as you see fit. I am very happy with my method and ingredients, but to each their own. Makes (2) loafs.

(1) DEER HEART

(1) DEER LIVER

ANY OTHER SCRAPS DESIRED (TUNGUE, KIDNEY, ECT – I ONLY USE THE HEART AND LIVER)

(1) MEDIUM OR LARGE ONION, CHOPPED

(2) TBSP CHOPPED GARLIC (IF DESIRED – I DON’T USE IT)

(4) CUPS STOCK (DEER, BEEF, CHICKEN, OR VEGETABLE – I USE CHICKEN STOCK)

(1) STICK SALTED BUTTER

(1) CUP CORN MEAL

(½) CUP FLOUR (CORN, BARLEY, BUCKWHEAT, WHEAT, OR WHITE – I USE CORN FLOUR)

(1) TBSP SALT

(1) TSP BLACK PEPPER

(1) TSP POULTRY SEASONING

OTHER SEASONINGS COMMONLY USED (I JUST USE BLACK PEPPER AND POULTRY SEASONING): SAGE, CAYENNE PEPPER, SAVORY, ROSEMARY, THYME, RED PEPPER FLAKES, GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER

*This step is optional. I slice the organs in half like I’m filleting a fish, and soak them overnight in a mix of baking soda and water. I’m not a fan of liver, and this takes some of the strong flavors out.

Next, I boil the organs in water with chicken bouillon, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning until thoroughly cooked. This mellows the flavor of the liver more and seasons the meat. Fry, bake, broil, or otherwise cook your meat as desired. Drain and let cool.

Once cool, grind the meat using a grinder, cheese grater, food processer, or just finely chop with a knife. I use a simple hand grinder with a course blade.

Brown the onion, garlic (if desired), and meat in a pan with the whole stick of butter, salt, and pepper.

In a large pot, bring the stock to a boil, then add your spices and corn meal. Mix thoroughly. A few small chunks (pea size or smaller) are fine.

Add the meat, onion, and butter mix to the corn meal and stir in with a large spoon. Lastly, add the flour and stir until well mixed.

The mix should be the consistency of very thick oatmeal. The spoon should stand on its own if placed in the middle, but it should not be thick like a dough. Add water or stock as necessary during the mixing process to maintain consistency. If it is too moist (like pancake batter), just stir in some more corn meal a little at a time over medium heat until the proper thickness is reached.

Now taste the mix. Add salt, pepper, or other seasonings as desired until you are happy with the flavor.

Once it is to your liking, spoon the mix into bread pans to form a loaf. Place the pans in the fridge to chill. The loafs will stiffen. Slice the loaf in ¼ in slices and fry in butter or bacon grease until brown on both sides. Experiment with slice thickness, brownness, and type of grease used to fry it to find your favorite method of cooking. Eat on its own as a breakfast side, on egg sandwiches, or as its own sandwich with cheese. Freeze unused loafs in plastic wrap and foil for future use.

Picture coming soon... Just made it today.... it is currently chilling.

08-Jan-18
DFA I love me some fresh Mako kabobs on the grill, incredible. I'm really jealous

08-Jan-18

08-Jan-18

08-Jan-18
Well, PLH, how'd it taste?!

08-Jan-18
It was much better than my first attempt at it years ago. Definitely a keeper for those who know what scrapple is and enjoy it

08-Jan-18
I've been to PA a few times! And I'm putting that one on the to try list!

17-Jan-18

Backstrap Wellington. Green beans, sweet potato and parsnips, and hunters sauce.

17-Jan-18

I hate typing.

17-Jan-18

Sauce.

18-Jan-18
Looks very good publiclandhunter!! I was able to read the hunters sauce directions, which sounds awesome, but couldn't read the Wellington directions. It all looks delicicious, great job on the dinner

18-Jan-18
If you want it, I will type it out

18-Jan-18
Thanks I'd appreciate it, before typing it all out try one more picture though just so you don't have to print the whole thing out, because I could see the sauce recipe clear as day just not the Wellington...... either way thank you

18-Jan-18

The cookbook

18-Jan-18

18-Jan-18

18-Jan-18

18-Jan-18
Half and half seemed to work better

18-Jan-18
You guys rock! Great stuff

18-Jan-18
Kate Fiduccia, will you marry me?

30-Jan-18

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo
Venison meat pies, got recipe from Steve rinella meateater

30-Jan-18

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo

30-Jan-18

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo

30-Jan-18
Good stuff!! I added salt pepper and beef stock to get it some moisture

30-Jan-18
That guy is the man!!

30-Jan-18
Yes he is lol!!

31-Jan-18

PublicLandHunter's Link
Deer rib roast. Marinated in a red wine sauce, roasted over shallots and portobello mushrooms. My new favorite dish.

01-Feb-18
Wow! That looks good

01-Feb-18

Man you guys gave posted some great looking stuff. Public I love the rib roast idea! I got sick of seeing of ribs wasted so against every friends advice I had to give them a try. All day thing slow cooked in oven with apple cider then smoker. I did a couple. One I sauced and threw on grill after smoker session (pic). I should have never done that. It caused them to tighten right up and chewy. The ones just slow cooked, yummo. No where near close to a friend's Carribou ribs I had once , but we'll keep working on it :)

01-Feb-18

bowandspear's Link
Venison Bulgogi (Korean) - besides the prep to marinade this is so easy and one of my kids favorite!

01-Feb-18

Man life has had me busy and not on here much. Thankful I filled a few tags 2016 to make up for last year . That vacuum sealing works wonders to have great eats one year later. Couple weeks ago stoked the campfire and broke out the Dutch oven and had my son's make us Venison Barley Soup and worked around the fire on a brisk day while showing a friend how to butcher his first deer. Things like this you remember.

01-Feb-18
Bow, trial and error leads to perfection later. This rib roast I kept some rib, and left the back strap on the bone. It was rare to medium rare throughout. I rarely fully cook venison, and when I do, I let the juices or a sauce rehydrate it for 10-15 minutes after cooking. I bet your ribs would have fell off the bone baked at 250, wrapped in foil, and covered in sauce for a few hours.

30-Apr-18

PublicLandHunter's Link
Bowandspear, it's been way too long procrastinating, but I'm thawing two cuts for your pastrami recipe. I'm also trying a wet cure recipe at the same time. The wet recipe takes longer, so I did it tonight. I'm rubbing your recipe in tomorrow or the next day. Looking forward to both.

01-May-18
Mmmmm Public! Let me know how wet cure works . As the sun rose over the turkey blind yesterday and a pair of deer browsed their way across the clearing I remarked to myself the want to put more pastramis in the freezer in 2018 :) good luck

01-May-18

Thanks. I will definitely post once they are smoked up. Good luck with the turkeys. Don't know if I will make it out.

I adjusted your recipe only slightly. Added a tsp of coriander to the cure mix. Then I wrapped it tight with plastic wrap before putting it in the Ziploc bag. I do that with my ribs that I rub down to keep the spices close to the meat. Can't wait.

02-May-18
What an insane thread. I feel totally inadequate as a venison cook. I rarely get beyond a seasoned med rare steak in the cast iron skillet. Thanks to all for the ideas. Tekoa

02-May-18
What an insane thread. I feel totally inadequate as a venison cook. I rarely get beyond a seasoned med rare steak in the cast iron skillet. Thanks to all for the ideas. Tekoa

03-May-18
Tekoa, right! I thank you all for sharing these great recipes and ideas. You know what? We should print our own Mass Bowsite cookbook. 100 pages (50 color) come out to around $15 each book. Tack on $5 to raise $ for a charity everyone agrees on ($500), for $20 we might have something special. Maybe add some turkey and small game. I need help with wild turkey recipes in the event I ever do get one so I'll start a thread.

10-May-18

PublicLandHunter's Link
Well both recipes were a hit, but bowandspear, your recipe was dead on for traditional pastrami. The brine was good, but not pastrami-ish. I probably should have soaked it the full two weeks instead of only one. Either way, I passed your recipe to two other hunters who were amazed and beyond impressed.

I used cherry wood to smoke it, and wrapped it in foil and water for a half hour after smoking to steam it up. I did the final steps almost like the link attached. I will definitely be making this every chance I get.

10-May-18
Good to hear!

• Sitka Gear