Paul@thefort 09-Oct-17
Jaquomo 09-Oct-17
Truckie 10-Oct-17
oldgoat 10-Oct-17
Matte 10-Oct-17
Jaquomo 10-Oct-17
Jaquomo 10-Oct-17
04-Oct-17
Does anyone know what the recent storm did for the snow in the high country in Northen Colorado, specifically above 10,000. I have a first season tag but won't be able to make it up there before hand to check it out and I'm trying to decide if I should look for a lower elevation spot. Tag is unit 19

04-Oct-17
Would like to know the same for the north of unit 14 if anyone has info. Local camera shows snow on the ground around 8,000 feet but hard to tell how much.

04-Oct-17
Walden got 10 inches and Steamboat got about a foot.

Looks like more snow coming next week

04-Oct-17
Many years ago we were bowhunting the Medicine Bows, north of Shipman Park. Around the second week, we got hit by a "surprise" 4' of snow. We were well prepared to sit it out, but couldn't get the truck 400 yards out of camp on the first day - too much snow to hunt, so why not try? 3 days later the snow was all but gone. Hunting is great after a good snow. Fall storms seldom last more than a day or two, but you might be stuck "up high" for a week or more. Be prepared!

04-Oct-17

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
There was snow down to 6-7k the other night, fair amount too, this in the front range West of Denver that I could physicality see, looking at radar, it was where you were asking too! Took this pic Saturday I think it was of Mount Evans so the 13ish to 14+K are completely snow capped already and like was said, supposed to be more coming!

04-Oct-17
Thanks for the replies, not was I was hoping to hear but oh well. I've always hunted up high but never this late in the season. Just curious what your thoughts are on how much snow it takes to make the elk move down. Should I be looking for a spot at a lower elevation? I backpack hunt and I don't mind trekking in the snow, but I hate to do the 8 mile hike if the elk have already headed down. Any thoughts would be appreciated

04-Oct-17
We got almost 20 inches in the high ground of Units 12 and 13. Many animals have already left for lower ground. I was surprised as usually it takes several storms and or hunting pressure, but this storm was huge and it ended just in time for the full moon Many animals have been using the last two bright nights and traveling, I have seen this first hand. Will be curious to see if any turn around now that it around 60 degrees and the snow is melting fast.

04-Oct-17
Have a plan b and make the judgement on the conditions at hand when you get here, could be a lot more snow in a week, could be a lot less.

05-Oct-17
I went up to set up some things in 14 yesterday and I wasn't able to get in due to drifted snow (18-20" in North facing curves of the forest road) and downed trees. With two guys it would have been possible (albeit difficult) to cut and plow our way in, but alone I wasn't going to chance it.

The good news is that it's melting fast (there's no snow left in town or for quite a ways up the valley into 14), the bad news is that it may be a mudpit for a bit.

05-Oct-17
Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping it will melt this week. Guess we will see.

05-Oct-17
More snow coming Monday...

06-Oct-17
How's Glenwood Springs area looking?

06-Oct-17
Really appreciate the snow updates, helps us nonresidents prepare for our elk adventure. Thanks! Sounds like first rifle this year might have different weather than the heat last year!!

06-Oct-17
I hunted an extra cow during first rifle season last year, and in NoCo it was cold and snowy the whole five days. You must've been in southern CO?

06-Oct-17
Hear around Meeker it was hot, dry and miserable until the last day of 4th season. As hot as 82 degrees in third rifle- needless to say the deer hunting was phenomenal but elk was terrible. The lack of bull harvest last year leads me to believe our hunters this year will kill a lot of better than average Bulls- hoping for lots of wet snow soon!

07-Oct-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
here is a bull that made it through last year's hunting season

09-Oct-17
Jaquomo : "I hunted an extra cow during first rifle season last year, and in NoCo it was cold and snowy the whole five days. You must've been in southern CO? "

Last year I hunted the muzzy season. Just heard it was more like mathewsman's report.....assumed it was like that in all of No. Colorado.... This will be my first time hunting rifle first season, so trying to adjust plans for weather and animal activity, it will be a new adventure!

09-Oct-17
The two days before 1st rifle season in the south end of North Park it was gorgeous. Woke up to about 8" of snow, and it was on-off snow for the next five days. It got above freezing during the day and the roads turned to grease. My boots were glommed up in the afternoons, then in the morning it was crusty and noisy.

09-Oct-17

Last nights snow in Ft Collins, should be all gone by Wed when in the 60s.

09-Oct-17
Snowed just over a foot at our place at 8500'. That will be gone by the end of the week.

10-Oct-17
Jaq you got a foot of snow? Dang I didn't realize it hit that hard.

10-Oct-17
Jaquomo's wife only measured it at 6" though!

10-Oct-17
?Thats funny right there^^^^

10-Oct-17
Oldgoat, she uses my fishing ruler.... Don't tell her...

Actually got 14". I'll try to post a photo.

10-Oct-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This is my place yesterday morning, before the "big wave" hit. Already melting in the sunshine now.

• Sitka Gear