Paul 19-Dec-17
Tatonka 24-Dec-17
Rob in VT 25-Dec-17
Shortdraw 29-Dec-17
Tatonka 29-Dec-17
Shortdraw 01-Jan-18
mboudreau 22-Jan-18
09-Oct-17
Any luck out there this weekend? I didn’t see anything but the wind wasn’t good for any of my better spots so I stayed out of them. Let hear how its going.

09-Oct-17

Steve Leffler's embedded Photo
Steve Leffler's embedded Photo
Luckily my freezer is in good shape as I was very fortunate to take this buck in MT a couple weeks ago. My best buck ever. Good luck to everyone.

09-Oct-17
Nice buck Steve, congrats!

Saw a fair amount of deer this weekend. Passed up 3 doe waiting on a buck. Way too warm, skeeters were bad.

09-Oct-17
Steve nice one !! Rob you are right about the skeeters .... saw a doe and fawn and had spike walk under me all so far

09-Oct-17
Steve congrats on that nice Montana buck,VT has been real slow ,had more turkeys gobbling around me, felt more like May then Oct.

10-Oct-17
Nice buck! Only been able to get out twice so far and haven't seen anything. Acorns galore as well as apples here. Regardless which stand I hunt I hear acorns falling on my walks I'm and out. No patterns whatsoever on the cameras here. Just gotta put it the time I guess.

10-Oct-17
was out all weekend in J2, bushels of apples everywhere on the ground, in the trees, and like stated above, lots of summer heat and bugs. Deer not moving till after dark. Patience....

13-Oct-17
7 hunts so far without seeing a single deer. I'm just watching the squirrels.

17-Oct-17
Steve, saw that nice one on the PBS campfire forum.....and the 'lope. Good job out there. Schafer got a nice doe this past Saturday. Ive had some by me, but I've only taken the bow off the hook for some Toms that got close but never got a shot.

10-Dec-17
Another late season archery kill! Im starting to enjoy December hunting more than October. Second year in a row I have shot a deer on the last friday of the season. I shot a big doe at 4:20 friday evening. That was the 10th deer I had seen that hunt. I was holding out for two nice 8 pointers that were starting to show up daily at last light, but I had so much fun that at that poiint I didnt care at all about antlers. Hopefully they will be around next year.

16 yard shot, dropped in sight, she went about 50 yards

10-Dec-17

LiveOutdoors's embedded Photo
LiveOutdoors's embedded Photo

19-Dec-17
Well done

24-Dec-17
I grew up in Vermont...Moved to Montana 40 years ago. I went back year before last for deer season (for old times sake more than anything). I never saw a deer.. Everything I hunted as a kid was posted. The guys at the family deer camp never killed a deer (12 guys hunting for the first week). Most of my old friends hunt somewhere else these days. Why the F&G allows hunters to kill more than one deer is beyond my comprehension. Here in Montana we have a ton of deer, but it's one buck per hunter per year. If we kill a buck during archery season, we are done for the year (we can still kill and antlerless whitetail). Vermont could quite possibly have the worst deer hunting in North America. It's a sad state of affairs. I feel badly for Vermont hunters....most really have no idea what good hunting is like.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. :)

25-Dec-17
If you can be successful in Vermont you can be successful anywhere.

29-Dec-17
Agreed Rob. I grew up in Vermont and left when I was 23. I killed deer ever year but had to hunt all three seasons. I wouldn't ever say it was bad it was just a game you needed to play. I think cutting your teeth in a state like that makes you better overall at the game. It also makes you feel very fortunate when you have a place or live in a state that has higher game densities and is managed a little different. I wouldn't have traded growing up in Vermont and learning to bowhunt there for anything. It would have been nicer to see more deer yes....but the freezer always ended up being filled sometimes it was easier on any given year sometimes it was the last day of late bow to get the one and only shot for the season. Great place with great people!!! By the way the harvest pictures look this year I'd say the buck genetics are starting to look fantastic.

29-Dec-17
"If you can be successful in Vermont you can be successful anywhere."

I agree 100%. People who grow up and live where deer are abundant do not need to learn how to become good hunters. They are successful because finding a deer is easy...

I left Vermont when I was 26. I did manage to kill several bucks there before I left, but that was back before everything was posted and there were far more deer than there are now (at least in the part of the state where I grew up). When I left, there was not one acre of land posted....not a single acre. A hunter could hunt anywhere they wanted to. Now nearly everything is posted or there is a new house sitting where I used to hunt. It sickens me to see the development that has taken place... Vermont is still one of the most beautiful states in the USA, but deer hunting there is horrible...

01-Jan-18
Tatonka, I'm not sure what part of montana you live in but down here in southwest Montana it's growing by leaps and bounds along with the privatization of public lands and all of the outfitters you have to deal with as well. I love it here but I wouldn't say it's all that and a bag of chips either. It has its problems just like anywhere else that is desirable to live and hunt.

22-Jan-18

mboudreau's Link
agree 100% Tat, I dont live in VT, but Ive been going to my friends deer camp in Corinth for 30+ years. The harsh winters and game management are horrible. Why I keep going back? Two reasons only, social and scenery. Any good hunting land is posted. What was good feed for the deer is now overgrown meadows, abandoned dying apple orchards etc. Outdoor Life has an article out saying Vt is the WORST in the country. I will try to Link the article...

• Sitka Gear