DozRdeer2 09-Oct-17
loose arrow 30-Oct-17
Franzen 30-Oct-17
Tenderfoot 03-Nov-17
Tenderfoot 03-Nov-17
petedrummond 03-Nov-17
Don K 04-Nov-17
09-Oct-17
When hunting public land I've always worn the necessary amount of blaze orange during the time frame of any firearms season, even if there is no open firearms (deer) season on the property. Honestly, I can't remember if A) I found something directly related to this in the regs., or B) I didn't find anything that was cut-and-dry, and I just do it to be sure all my bases are covered. Although I've never hunted anywhere near there, I believe you don't have to wear it in counties that do not have firearms seasons, but if I recall correctly the word used is "counties".

Anyway, I've seen guys not wearing orange, so I started to ponder this situation again. For various reasons, I really don't care for wearing orange. Does anyone have any input on this? Tom M.?

09-Oct-17
I'm curious as to if your on private property do you still need to wear it. I've seen countless videos with guys not wearing any. Should I always wear it just to be safe.

09-Oct-17
Blaze orange is required of archers while hunting in counties open to youth deer (this past weekend and today), muzzle loader, late-winter, and CWD seasons on public and private land. Basically, anytime there is an open firearm deer season (of any kind) hunters are required to wear blaze orange. Tom

09-Oct-17
I guess some may try to claim that there is no open firearm season in the portion of the county they are hunting in, which would be true. I'm not sure if this would be a winning or losing argument in a court of law. Perhaps the other possibility is that they are simply ignorant. I plan on continuing to wear it myself, although I wish the regulation would be clarified such that it is not needed for the scenario I described. Thanks.

09-Oct-17
Page 14 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest has a box explaining blaze orange requirements - it can be found on the DNR website at this location: https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

30-Oct-17
You have to wear blaze orange during any deer firearm season, even if you are on public land that is designated "Archery Only."

30-Oct-17
To make that statement entirely true you would have to add "...during any firearm season open in the county you are hunting in". No blaze orange is required during late antlerless seasons if your county isn't open. Having said that, I'd like to know how Kane County is dealt with because part of the county has firearms seasons and part doesn't.

03-Nov-17
Does this mean one can bowhunt during firearms season?

03-Nov-17
Does this mean one can bowhunt during firearms season?

03-Nov-17
Yes on private property

04-Nov-17
Only with a unfilled gun tag you can use a bow as the weapon on private property. You cant bow hunt private land during gun season with a archery tag.

• Sitka Gear