Contributors to this thread:
buc i 313 12-Oct-17
Boris 15-Oct-17
buc i 313 15-Oct-17
Boris 19-Oct-17
3arrows 28-Oct-17
DozRdeer2 29-Oct-17
12-Oct-17
Do you ever think about how much time (yrs) you have left to hunt ?

It must come to mind each and every season after so many years ?

I find myself beginning to think about how many years I have left after so many of my hunting partners have passed on or just plain gave up hunting altogether .

Confession, sometimes I think about not being able to hunt due to health issues or just father time catching up with me. I for one do believe this is a normal process for we hunter's.

How do I personally cope with these thought's ?

I reflect on past hunts with those who have passed on and the good times with those who have put hunting aside. Great memories !

I then begin to think about the opportunities to be in the woods. To see the magnificence of nature. ( A blessed sight for sure ).

I think about this upcoming season. I think of my stand, my location, the trail to it. Will it be productive ? To be in camp, sharing long held friendships. The stories that will be told, some true, some not so much :^}

After all of this reflection I begin to think maybe, just maybe, the Good Lord will allow me many many more years to enjoy this sport of ours, to allow me to continue to appreciate the magnificence of his creation.

Then I take up my bow to practice some more, in the hope to be as proficient as I once was ?

Just an old hunter's pondering thoughts here .........

A thankful one

15-Oct-17
I DID TILL ARIL 29TH. ON APRIL 28TH, I DIED. YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT. I WAS IN PITTSBURGH HAVING SURGERY. THEY LOST ME ON THE TABLE. THEY HAD TO HIT ME TWICE. THE SECOND TIME I DECIDED TO COME BACK. THE NEXT MORNING, WHEN I FINELY CAME ROUND AN KNEW STRAIGHT UP. MY WIFE WAS STILL CRYING. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON. THE DOCTORS CAME IN AROUND 8ish IN THE MORNING. THEY ASKED ME HOW I FELT. GREAT, I COULD BREATH BETTER. THEN THEY HIT ME WITH THE BOMB SHELL. AS I LISTENED. MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS AT LEAST I WILL STILL BE ABLE TO GO HUNTING. MY WIFE DOES NOT TAKE ME FOR GRANTED ANYMORE. JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW, I HAVE BEEN IN HEALTH CARE FOR 25 PLUS YEARS. FOR 19 YEARS, I WORKED IN THE ICU'S. AN YES, I DEAL WITH PTSD. RIGHT NO, I DON'T CARE ABOUT MUCH OF ANYTHING. LIFE IS GOOD. WHEN I DIE, THERE WILL BE OTHERS TO HUNT FOR ME. WILL I MISS IT DAMN STRAIGHT. BUT, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO. I AM PLANNING ON RETIRING IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS. I WILL BE 62. THAT FALL, I PLAN TO HAVE A NICE CAMPFIRE IN THE MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO WITH PAUL AND LOU FROM FT. COLLINS, COLORADO. HAVE A SHOT OF APPLE ROYAL TO MAKING IT THIS FAR. LIFE IS GOOD, DON'T DWELL ON DEATH.

15-Oct-17
Thanks Boris, CONGRATULATIONS ON STILL BEING WITH US .

Boris, I wasn't planning on croaking anytime soon :^}

Just random thought's on how long, and at what age do most folks hunt before hanging up the bow for good. I have some former hunting partners who have decided to give up hunting. Some at what I would consider a young age. (early 50's) others older than me.

At 74 + years I have no plans of hanging up my bow anytime in the near future. I'm full of excitement for this season. My anticipation is high, and If I felt any better there would be two of me :^}

The thought of a campfire in the mountains of Colorado, is and should be a great motivator. I haven't met Paul, or Lou, personally, but from their input on Bowsite, you will be in good company.

My campfire will not be in Colorado, it will however be burning this year and for many many more years.

The good Lord willing.

19-Oct-17
Well, my father hunted into his 80's. He did pass in 2010. I think that with all the technology, we can hunt longer. we, our selves have to be the ones to decide how fast or how slow we go. What cracks me up, is when people say you have to hunt HARD to get anything. I would really like to know what that means. Isn't getting out there good enough?

28-Oct-17
No promise of tomorrow for anyone.

29-Oct-17
My thoughts tend toward "passing it on" ... the love of hunting, that is. Mentoring younger family members, neighbor kids and the like. Maybe the little fire kindled within them will flare up into a burning desire to be in the woods more often.

• Sitka Gear