jjs 08-Feb-18
skookumjt 08-Feb-18
ground hunter 08-Feb-18
jjs 09-Feb-18
skookumjt 10-Feb-18
skookumjt 10-Feb-18
Helgermite 12-Feb-18
13-Oct-17
Just a quick note: After a pair of boots didn't work well in South Dakota I decided that a new pair of boots were in order. Went to Red Wing and walked into the store at 315 Main Street. They took quite a bit of time for the fitting process and I walked out with my first pair of Setters. This turned out to be the week of the clearance at the main plant and at the store I went to, I got 10% off as well. If you're close enough to trundle to Red Wing, you might want to check it out.

13-Oct-17
I'm jealous and wish I lived closer, Setters are my favorites. I have a 17yr old, 15yr old and a 4 yr old. Age of my hunting boots that is...

13-Oct-17
Are all the Irish Setters so tight? I'm on the edge of needing a wide boot/shoe. Hunting boots I will usually get a wide so I can wear them with a thicker sock but I buy normal width duty boots without a problem. I just ordered Elk Trackers in wide and couldn't even walk in them they were so tight. I had my wife try them on and she thought they were tight even being 6 sizes too big. The build look great and the had a comfortable foot bed, but just so tight. Even the upper was tight. Seem like a great boot if they would have fit.

13-Oct-17
They will fit you at the store if you give them a chance....

13-Oct-17
Cabelas had 25% off and I had 50 in gift cards. They werent going to cost me much buying them online. Just part of the online game.

13-Oct-17
I was told by a "boot man" when I bought my Elk Trackers the width EE for example is the same leather size no matter what the insulation amount is. So the 1200gr will be narrower than the 400gr for example. I don't know if this is just Irish Setter or all boots? I'd return them and get a wider pair or less insulation

14-Oct-17
I'm a huge fan of Keen's so much so that I even have their work boot and when I'm at work I put 8-10 miles a night and my feet are never sore. I have a 6" boot/hiker that I bought for spot and stalk hunt in S. Dakota. Couples them with water proof leggings and I was dry in the heavy due in the mornings. They offer boots that are USA made and those that are made overseas. So you need to pay attention to that when looking at them.

14-Oct-17
Lame is absolutly right, they will fit you at the store if given a chance. I have worn red wings for 45 yrs now and will not buy anything else. Whether for work or play,warm or cold, I dont think there is a better quality boot available,especially with the selection of fit. When I was in my late teens I used to buy what I thought fit, then I was at a redwing store and accually got fitted correctly,what a difference.

07-Feb-18
Bringing this back to the top. I’m heading to Wyoming in the fall for a cow elk hunt. My friend that lives out there told me to get good hiking boots, and to make sure they are broken in. Should I be looking now and hike in them all year? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, both positive and especially negative. Do you guys also have go to socks? I would think they are almost as important as the boot.

07-Feb-18
100% in agreement with Drop Tine. I switched to Keen boots 2 years ago and will never buy another brand work boot! My knees hurt with other boots and when I got fed up with boots wearing out and making my knees and feet sore, I wanted to get something better. I read many reviews and found that almost all reviews on Keen boots were very positive! I ordered a pair of Keen composite safety toe boots and couldn't believe how comfortable they were, compared to others I have worn in the 25 years of working on my feet. About 11 months after I bought the Keens, one of the glued seams started to separate a little bit. I contacted them and they gave me a 100% refund on the purchase price of the boot. They have a 1 year warranty on all boots! All I had to do was upload some pictures of the failure to them and the next day I received a electronic voucher. I still continued to wear the boots and purchased another pair of insulated boots and use them for hunting. If your thinking of switching to a higher end boot brand, check the Keen brand out!

07-Feb-18
I live 20 min from red wing ill check it out! Thanks

07-Feb-18
Reggiezpop - Yes, you should be looking now, buy a pair, and start breaking them in. Go with some kind of merino wool socks.

08-Feb-18
If you have to break in a pair of hiking boots, you bought the wrong ones. Good boots should feel good the moment you put them on and only get better.

The only exception to this are heavy duty mountain boots with a stiff shank and even then they should take minimal break in.

08-Feb-18
Spend the money on good boots - your feet will thank you. Last thing you want is for your feet to hinder a trip. I'm still a fan of Danner boots - have been using them for upland hunting for years and they performed well on a stalk and shoot mule deer trip a few years back. Good socks are key with all boots and I agree with merino wool. Try on with the socks you plan to wear.

08-Feb-18
Agree with the need for proper fitting well constructed boots and proper socks (preferably merino wool or blend). Like Sam, I also wear Danner. Work all day on my feet for last 27 yrs and these boots last and keep feet dry. Also they come in wide sizes for those who need that. Have uninsulated all the way up to 1200gr. thinsulate. The 400&800 are the ones I wear most of the yr. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

08-Feb-18
lots of choices out there, that is for sure,,,, my problem is find a boot that is wide.... I won a set of Trackers by Irish Setter, good boot, wore em out in about 5 years,,,, I do a lot of walking, and cut a lot of country,,,,, also I found that 600 grams of thinsulate was too warm for my feet.......

I bought a pair of Cabelas Uplands two years ago, once they went on sale, love them,,,,,

Regardless, Reggie you bet, get some boots this spring, you have a good 6 months to break them in..... I always spray my foot down with deodorant, for sweat, use a good non scented foot lotion,, and add powder, inside of my sock, and the first sock is a light polypro from fleet farm,,,,, than one merino sock, and I am all set......

You will get a million opinions, and they will all be good,,,,,,, some guys like the alpaca socks, but I think they are over priced, I got some as a gift,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If I found a deal on Irish Setters, I would not hesitate to buy that boot,,,, Danner is also a good boot...... Reggie you can go to Midwest Guns in Lomira, they have a nice selection of boots, and carry Danners,,,,, There is a Irish Setter store in Sheboygan Falls call them......

Remember that boot is going to get wet, and muddy, and cold and hot, and beat up on rock etc, do not buy junk................

08-Feb-18
Reggiezpop,

Boots are very subjective and a lot depends on the kind of hunt you will do. Will you be hunting in September or later? Will you be backpacking at all or just hiking and hunting? Will you be packing any meat on your back.

Boots are probably your most important piece of gear when you're in the mountains elk hunting. Bad boots can ruin a trip faster than almost anything.

I agree with getting good non-insulated hiking boots for September elk hunting. I recommend you look at the top brands like Lowa, Hanwag, Crispi, etc. It's true that good hiking boots shouldn't need much break-in but you also don't want any surprises so it's good to put some miles on them before you head west.

For heavy duty backpacking I recommend the Hanwag Alaska or the Lowa Tibet.

For a little bit lighter duty but still very supportive I recommend the Lowa Camino. I bought a pair of these last year and they are now my go-to boot for elk hunting.

For light duty without a heavy pack the Lowa Renegades are good.

My buddy Les Welch wore Crispi's last fall and he really likes them but I don't have any personal experience with them.

For socks, definitely go with merino wool. The Gore brand they have been selling on Camofire lately are great and you can't go wrong with Smartwool either. I have over 20 pairs of merino wool socks. Absolutely stay away from cotton socks, they are a recipe for blisters.

08-Feb-18
I agree with Mike on boots being the make or break of a mountain hunt. If your feet blister, it can wreak havoc on your hunt, been there done that. First trip I did I wore un-insulated boots figuring mid Sept. would be warm. Wrong though there, bad blistering, bad boots. The next trips I wore boots with 500 grams of thinsulate. At first I thought they may be hot, but they ended up being the most comfortable boots to were in the mountains. Not one blister in 6 years of 12 day hunts. Just my food for thought.

08-Feb-18
I've been wearing Danner's for the past ten years now. I have insulated ones and just regular work boots for summer work. I use to have Irish Setter's but then the quality slowly left in my opinion. The Shoe Box in Black earth have the best prices I've found.

08-Feb-18
Thanks for all the replies. Cheesehead, The hunt will be at the beginning of October. From what I understand, anything could happen with the weather at that point, but be prepared for snow. We won’t be backpacking, just hiking and hunting. And hopefully carrying meat out on our backs. I’ll check out everyone’s suggestions for sure!

08-Feb-18
Skip anywhere that sells hunting gear and go to a store like REI. They sell footwear designed for hiking in the mountains. Danners, Irish Setters, Red Wings, etc. work fine here but are nowhere near the boots that Scarpa, Asolo, Crispi, etc. are. The only thing close you'll find at a hunting store are Meindls at Cabela's and they range from phenomenal to barely adequate for WI hunting.

08-Feb-18
Depends where you are, and the weather,,,, first year I went out, I wore Vasque mountain boots,,,,, too heavy to hunt with, and was sorry I wore them,,,,, find out your terrain first,,,,, not discounting what skook said, but I was at a REI shop once, looking for a tent, when I told the guy I was hunting, you thought he was gut shot,,,,,

08-Feb-18
Theres no simple choice for mountain boots . When I lived out west & did 2 to 3 mountain hunts per year I had 14 pair of hunt stuff . There are spots in CO where I Wore hi top tennies . States like AZ ID UT & NZ Have some nasty shale & rock that can shred boots in a week . Hunting in an area with Rattlers must be considered .

Theres no simple answer to my Boots .

I bought some used Red Wings on line for 36 bucks . They do fit a bit tight but I stretchrd them .

08-Feb-18
that's a good point,,, my last trip out to Wyoming, I was in the lower areas, wore snake boots from Cabelas the whole time,,,,, I really like the support from that boot, and now they are perfect for SW Wisconsin

08-Feb-18
My gosh I just counted my boots . 15 pair + vietnam . Iraq, koreans , Micky mouse , Nazi trooper , & Navy Artic Circle . Geez .

Time for a garage sale .

08-Feb-18
Live here in Red Wing, very good town and people, and do not run short on their boots especially on sale or seconds, still miss out on the Lacrosse Boots sale when living east of there, still have my Ice Man that are about 30 yrs old and still durable.

08-Feb-18
Dry rot.

08-Feb-18
I saw dry rot overseas, but never in my hunting boots

09-Feb-18
Camp 2 dukes, had a pair of Rocky's the soles crumble away while walking in the snow, couldn't figure what that black stuff was until I felt the wet snow on the bottom of my feet. My brother had the same thing happen a year latter, the cobbler here in town told me it was the composition that was used in the sole that eventually start to decay over time.

10-Feb-18
Boots generally don't us polyurethane soles. That's more typically on a casual or dress shoe.

10-Feb-18
Rocky cornstalkers and a few other less expensive boots were poly.

12-Feb-18
I had some rocky boots that had soles crumbled after (1) year. They wouldn't stand behind them and make it right, so I will never buy another pair of Rockies.

• Sitka Gear