Jaquomo 13-Oct-17
Jaquomo 13-Oct-17
huntabsarokee 13-Oct-17
huntabsarokee 25-Oct-17
huntabsarokee 07-Dec-17
thomas 07-Dec-17
huntabsarokee 07-Dec-17
13-Oct-17
Going to cash out next year and hunt 66. Have 7 NR points so should be no problem getting the tag. Will be 2 guys hunting on foot prefer from a road side camp so we can move around a bit. Did a rifle hunt there in 2010 but that was a drop camp and don't want to go that route this time. 2010 gives me a little familiarity with the unit. I have 2 spots picked out both within 3 miles from a dirt or county road but looking for suggestions. I have not checked out any spots west of 149. Any recommendations or places to stay away from? Good place to get a mid week bite to eat in Lake City? My dad will probably tag along but won't have a tag so any good spots you would recommend to fish? Thanks for any help and PM will be good. Jason

13-Oct-17

13-Oct-17
Don't know about the hunting but Blue Mesa reservoir has great fishing. He should book a guided day trip for giant lake trout and he might catch the trout of his life.

Edit - he can also rent a small boat at Elk Creek marina and troll for kokanee salmon and trout on his own, too.

13-Oct-17
Great thanks for the information. That should keep him busy.

25-Oct-17
Anybody on here draw this tag this year have anything to add? Thought this would be a good time to ask while it is fresh on our minds. Thanks for any input.

07-Dec-17
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like I am still up in the air on this unit. Kind of leaning towards another low point draw unit now although I will be burning a lot of points (since I have 7). My take on this other unit from what I have read is good elk quantity, quality is so so since it is OTC rifle, and hunting pressure in archery should be good since it is a draw. Anything to add? Thanks again.

07-Dec-17
I'm amazed it takes more archery points than 1st rifle for this hunt? u can draw the rifle hunt with 1-2 points as a NR. Its just the opposite for say unit 49. more points for rifle but less for archery. Any thoughts? I haven't hunted this unit or its border unit 67, but I like it on paper. Good populations, lots of wilderness to get away and limited tags.

07-Dec-17
Your point is what many residents bring up about 66 being why would you archery hunt it when you can rifle hunt it for much less. I did rifle hunt it in 2010 with 1 point and liked it enough I wanted to go back with a bow. Problem is a lot can change in 8 years. So why does it take 6 to 7 points? I think because it kind of gets a good review on the web and what happens is many people, like me, find themselves in elk point no mans land. They think of points like $$ and they don't want to spend more on something less. If you take out 66 there are not many archery units that require more than 2 but less than 10 points.

• Sitka Gear