XbowfromNY 19-Oct-17
AZ~Rich 30-Oct-17
StickFlicker 01-Nov-17
XbowfromNY 21-Nov-17
Dorobuta 13-Dec-17
BOWUNTR 13-Dec-17
BOWUNTR 20-Dec-17
13-Oct-17
I've been to AZ twice, killed a nice lion and some grey fox. Anyway, I'm thinking of coming in January and buying an OTC Archery Coues deer tag. Any tips on where/when I could see some Coues deer? I don't need to kill a monster, just looking to kill a buck and moreso see deer. Would probably fly into PHX and rent a car and book a motel/hotel. Thanks in advance.

14-Oct-17
Can you buy an OTC deer tag in AZ after the season opens ? I applied for a Javalina tag for January and would like to buy a deer tag upon arriving.

14-Oct-17
Archery deer tags are over the counter but some units are not open to deer during the Javelina hunts. Check the regs and look before you leap.

14-Oct-17
Also consider flying into Tucson, since much of the Coues hunting in Arizona is in the southern part of the state. You can buy an OTC tag any day of the year, even on the last day of a season. There is no limit on them, unless the store you go to has run out of the blank tags used to create them. Most stores with a sporting goods department sell them, including the full-sized Wal-Mart stores.

16-Oct-17
They've been steadily expanding their range in AZ. I know people with tags that are hunting them near Williams. I've seen them below Flagstaff (6A) area, and I'm doing a rifle hunt in December in unit 36B along the Mexico border.

The point being they're are in quite a few units now.

16-Oct-17
Had one show up yesterday and stare at the wife thru the kitchen window. Did not seem the least afraid, and I took a couple of pictures that I will post as soon as I charge my camera.

Terry 23 North

17-Oct-17

Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Note elk ivory on window sill
Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Note elk ivory on window sill
Tried add the pictures to the previous post, didn't work, so here they are.

18-Oct-17
So back to my original question. Any tips on what public land I could see some Coues deer? I don't need to kill a monster, just looking to kill a buck and moreso see deer.

19-Oct-17
Any of the 34,35, 36 units. Saw a lot of coues when hunting javelina on the santa rita experimental range.

19-Oct-17
Any of the 34,35, 36 units. Saw a lot of coues when hunting javelina on the santa rita experimental range.

19-Oct-17
https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Units/

Scroll down and click on units in the Tucson area. Good starting points there

19-Oct-17
Thanks all. I am a little familiar with unit 33 from my lion hunt in 2012.

30-Oct-17
In many areas of Unit 33 there are now plenty of hikers, mountain bikers, dogs with hikers, horseback riders, ATV riders, motocross riders, and 4 wheelers to contend with.... Especially in winter when more Snowbirds and other assorted tourists have arrived. As a unit 34A probably has the highest Coues population of those mentioned, but also some of the same human activity as 33, (but a bit less than 33).

01-Nov-17
Something to mention, although I'm sure you are probably aware since you have been here hunting previously. Unless you're permanently disabled with a special permit, Arizona does not allow the use of crossbows (your handle) in archery seasons.

21-Nov-17
I would be using compound.

13-Dec-17
I pulled a nice 4 x4 out of 36B in the DEC 1st rifle hunt. There's a bunch down there, but you are hunting close to the border. If you're willing to get get in away from the roads, you'll find plenty of deer.

13-Dec-17

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
It starts in 2 days... this is my #1. Ed F

20-Dec-17

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
Done.... not the big one, but good enough. Ed F

• Sitka Gear