Dpat 21-Oct-17
Zim1 21-Oct-17
Dpat 21-Oct-17
Zim1 23-Oct-17
Bigbear2 30-Oct-17
Franzen 30-Oct-17
Bigbear2 31-Oct-17
15-Oct-17
It will take someone who been on this topic on bowsite several years ago. Anyway, back before 2006 if you bought a lifetime license and you moved you could hunt in Illinois for the rest of your life at the cost of a resident. Then they changed the rule after 2006 but had to grandfather in those who bought lifetime before 2006. I know this is true because I lived in Iowa for a spell in 2007,08 and hunted and killed deer in Illinois. Game warden came to my house trying to bust me and I was able to prove him wrong after he went and researched the pre 2006 law. Anyway, I live out west and want to come hunt whitetail and I wonder what they gonna do when I slap my lifetime license in front of them when I buy tag.

15-Oct-17
Call the DNR.

16-Oct-17
Yep....grandfathered in... thanks Steve

17-Oct-17
Ya I got divorced in Indiana that year only good thing my ex did was file just in time for me to move out and west 5 miles over the state line. My application was one of the last processed back then, just a day or two before the change. I got the same visit from a DNR auditor and cleared. When I asked he said 85% of the applications were fraudulent! Anyway I have lived and worked the last ten years in Illinois, but the latest 1.2% income tax hike was the last straw. I'm done funding unsustainable obscene $1.6 mil state employee pensions. Shopping for a home now back over the Indiana state line. So just last week I sent the DNR an email making sure I was grandfathered, and they confirmed.

Only downside is now the three stooge politicians line their pockets with special interest group money, proclaim themselves wildlife biologists and bring crossguns to our previously protected archery deer seasons. This is going to devastate whatever quality was left on our public lands. Illinois politicians succeeded in earning junk bond status for the state's credit rating. They are hell bent on exploiting and doing the same thing to our deer herd. Watch the nonresident quota get raised next year as all the crapily managed southeast state gun hunters pour through the floodgates.

Illinois politicians for sale.

18-Oct-17
Zim, why do all of your posts revert to how horrible the state of Illinois is. If you'd just stick to hunting your opinions would be valued more than just ranting about the state all of the time. Your first four sentences would have been the perfect answer to what Bigbear asked.

20-Oct-17
I'm one if those collecting a pension from retiring as a teacher. I paid into it for 32 years (TRS) and teachers don't pay into social security in Illinois. When Thompson was Governor the pension was in the black. The crooks like blowavich who took money from it for projects screwed it up....typical liberal mentality..

20-Oct-17
awh302, Because all of my comments were directly related to the OP's topic. The value of the LL's that Illinois sold us has dropped every year due to politicians managing wildlife for money, not quality. The worst being unlimited nonresident tags and crossguns through the entire rut. Facts not opinions all LL owners should be aware of.

Bigbear2, How much did you contribute into the teacher's pension system each year? I read the state mandates teachers to pay 9.4%, but that never happens. Taxpayers pay for 96%, and employees only 4%, and in most cases the school districts pick up most if not all of that so on average a teacher contributes only 0-2%. I pay 97% into my 401k. I'm interested in this because I'm trying to educate my step-daughter in these matters. She recently moved here from overseas to have a teaching career in the US.

20-Oct-17
Zim1, The state is not obligated to provide any LL holder with high quality public land hunting(big buck hunting) you can kill deer on the public land (you just want big bucks). My wife is in her 20th year of teaching I can assure you it is not a high paying career. She is at 48,400 a year plus her benefits. She is 4 classes short of a Master's. No she does not pay her full retirement percentage its part of her benefits. This is at a smaller central Illinois school district she could make more in a larger district. If your wife was a public school teacher you would see how much work is done off the clock its not an 8 to 3 job some believe. Or what they buy to fully supply the classroom. So you believe that teacher's and other state workers are over paid because you know very little about it, just your miss guided thoughts. You can get on the internet and see what all state workers make if it bothers you so much. I'm thinking you voted for Bernie because you want what everyone else has and works for.

21-Oct-17
The state is obligated to manage our public land responsibly, which should most definitely not include politicians selling a public resource for their own personal financial gain. I think any idiot would agree with that. My wife is in her 30th year of teaching. Private industry got rid of pensions decades ago since they are unsustainable and now they've Bankrupted the state. State employees contribute 0-5%. Now the politicians are bringing their poison to lifetime hunting license holders. This is a fact not an opinion.

21-Oct-17
zim1 If you believe politicians are selling public resource for personal financial gain (in this case deer) you need to get a bigger tinfoil hat. Everybody is against poor little zim.

If you believe that pensions is what is bankrupting the state you may be overlooking the decades of complete mismanagement by politicians that caused the problem.

The lust for big bucks in my opinion is ruining deer hunting. It's deer hunting but people think they should kill a big buck not just a deer.

21-Oct-17
Dpat, So you live in Illinois and seriously think that politicians crammed unlimited nonresident deer tags and unlimited crossgun usage down our throats without any special interest group money??? Seriously??? If so you live in a naive fantasyland smoking a hash pipe all day. This is how things work in Illinois. Everyone who doesn’t live under a rock knows this.

Politicians have absolutely NO BUSINESS managing our wildlife. That is what wildlife managers and biologists are paid for! Period! There is no grey area.

1.6 million dollar pensions are the #1 liability Illinois has to correct their budget crisis. This is not a mystery by any means. All state employees need to be on 401k’s like the rest of us.

21-Oct-17
Zim1, I'm a realist, I don't believe 90 plus percent of the state politicians don't give a crap about hunting in this state in anyway, shape, form or fashion.

I don't believe other people (Tax payers, other land owners) should have to supply me with a great hunting spot. I prioritized what I wanted in life and take care of it myself. I bought a place to do what I want on.

I will never be for the state to supply big buck hunting on public land for you or anyone else. You can hunt deer but that's not what you want you want big bucks. Plenty of public land in Illinois to DEER hunt on. I don't care if they have big bucks.

23-Oct-17
Dpat, Sounds like you think it’s a great idea for politicians to play wildlife managers. Why not just get rid of the wildlife managers & biologists and their pensions since Wheaton politicians are managing now? Dent the deficit. As a taxpayer I have every right in the world to have input in how public resources are managed. You can do nothing if you choose. But you’re not going to stop me.

BTW - The Iowa DNR disagrees with your “management philosophy”. So did the Illinois DNR when they were allowed to manage, before politicians sold us out. And so do the thousands of nonresidents who flock here yearly to escape their own state’s crap-on-a-stick deer management. All of the above know that protecting the rut from exploitation leads to a healthy and balanced age deer herd. They don't think managing for coin is the answer.

30-Oct-17
Zim...even though I didn't literally pay into retirement it was part of my contract that the district paid but salary was based on the trs contribution. Meaning that if the district did not pay it, my salary would have been higher. Yep, it's a great retirement pension. They tried pension reform. Quinn actually passed the reform into law. That's why I retired at 55 because I thought the Bill would greatly reduce my plan. I was told by TRS that if I didn't retire my pension would be greatly reduced. It would have but got overturned by Illinois Supreme Court. Cannot reduce promised pension. However, they did add a few different "tiers" basically for new teachers. I'm proud to say I have a great pension and I now do not live in Illinois and live in a state that has no state income tax and I am teaching again. I lose no sleep that I don't live in Illinois anymore and I don't lose sleep for collecting a fantastic pension. And I don't lose sleep for double dipping. It's America ... cheers!!

30-Oct-17
The crooks like blowavich who took money from it for projects screwed it up....typical liberal mentality..

Looks like you have it down pat.

31-Oct-17
Yep....proud of it!

• Sitka Gear