Paul@thefort 19-Oct-17
Ermine 19-Oct-17
Sandbrew 19-Oct-17
Jaquomo 20-Oct-17
JBarch 21-Oct-17
Truckie 21-Oct-17
HiMtnHnter 22-Oct-17
15-Oct-17
Did any moose hunters shoot a moose in unit 19 and not recover it? If so shoot me a pm. Let me know the area you were hunting. (I have checked with the outfitter in the area and it is not any of his clients.) I didn’t see any arrow or bullet holes on the side I could see but the timing is right for an archery or muzzleloader kill.

16-Oct-17
Dwight, did you contact the CPW warden in the area? thanks, Paul

16-Oct-17
I did not shoot him but sure would walk in a retrieve it

16-Oct-17
We found a dead one a couple years ago in 8 and the necropsy found a broken off tine in his lungs.

You need to alert Chad, the WCO. If you don't have his number PM me and I'll send it to you.

16-Oct-17
I will contact them/him today.

16-Oct-17
Mathews I plan on doing the same once I confirm it’s legal

16-Oct-17
Apperanly Chad is no longer in the area. CPW was less then helpfull

16-Oct-17
Apperanly Chad is no longer in the area. CPW was less then helpfull

16-Oct-17
What does," less than helpful" mean?

16-Oct-17
Paul my apologies, I was a little fed up with them when I wrote that. It took me waiting on hold for over a half hour trying to get the number for a CPW officer. The lady that answered refused to give me the officers contact information and proceed to treat me like I killed this moose when I was trying to be helpful. Put a bad taste in my mouth but I shouldn't have wrote that

16-Oct-17
Did she offer to relay your info to the officer, as she should have, so the officer could contact you? I agree it is very frustrating to wait and wait to talk to a real person concerning an issue. I do know at this time of year, they are getting tons of calls concerning license info and the phone wait can be HOURS it seems. Their protocol is to take a message and not give out officer's phone numbers. Hope to find out more concerning the moose. Paul

16-Oct-17
I believe the moose died of natural causes, looked to be a bigger bull from what I saw but I could be wrong that's why I posted it here. He was miles from the road so I doubt any poacher would shoot him that far out and not harvest anything from him. He was intact minus what a bear had eaten.

16-Oct-17
I just found a 5 point bull elk that was killed by a 6 point bull elk i was able to save some of the meat.

16-Oct-17
"I just found a 5 point bull elk that was killed by a 6 point bull elk i was able to save some of the meat." Out of curiosity, how on Earth would you know that a 6 point elk killed a 5 point elk that you found without witnessing the kill? Or was this a joke?

17-Oct-17
All i know that there was a 6 point in the field 20 yards from him i have been watching them for 3 weeks ??

17-Oct-17
I'll contact a couple WCO friends in other adjacent units and see if I can get the 19 WCO info for you. Hadn't heard Chad moved on but I hunted elsewhere this year. As far as I know you need permission to keep the antlers, just as if you'd found a 6x6 bull or a muley that fit the "Sampson Law" criteria.

17-Oct-17
PM your phone number to me and I'll give it to the new WCO. He'd rather not have his cell number given out to the general public but I have it now.

EDIT: Never mind - I see your number in the PM.

17-Oct-17
I have a former hunting partner that didn't/doesn't understand the Sampson Law. A few years ago he showed up in my camp to show off a nice 6x6 rack that was all he got from 2 ill placed/chosen shot/kills ( both 6x6's) in 3-4 days. 'Not the first time he had taken an ill advised shot and wasted an animal. Just part of the reason he's no longer my partner.

17-Oct-17
Dwight, what did you find out from your site visit today with the WCO?

18-Oct-17
I spoke with the officer in person yesterday. Gave him gps coordinates and pictures. He said he was going to go check it out and try to determine cause of death. He told me he would do this today.

18-Oct-17
Do you have pics ? I have pics from a lot of bulls in the area if it would help to match up at all ?

18-Oct-17
Please let us know how this turns out, can you keep the antlers, etc.. Any of us could encounter the same situation and would be good to know. Thanks!

18-Oct-17
I'll post pics tonight, on my way home. CPW confirmed natural causes. He said the front leg was badly broken and he couldn't find any evidence of bullet or arrow with his metal detector.

Really glad to hear this is not a poacher....

He is allowing us to keep the antlers, the outfitter in the area packed them out. Going to arrange to pick them up with him.

18-Oct-17
Great news all around... Except for the moose, I suppose. Thanks for this thread and for the follow up. You did the right thing and it worked out.

19-Oct-17

Truckie's embedded Photo
Photo of the moose
Truckie's embedded Photo
Photo of the moose

19-Oct-17
You may notice blood on the tines. I was under the assumption this moose died right after shedding velvet but the officer told me that was not correct. He believes it was from another moose.

19-Oct-17
Yeah, moose fight violently. It's nor super uncommon for one to kill another. Btw, in CO you can keep "deadheads" you find.

19-Oct-17
HiMtnHunter, you can keep deadheads only if they fall outside the Samson guidelines. That's in the statutes. If they are covered by Samson law (22"muley, 6x6 bull, any bull moose) the law requires that you report it and the CPW Area Wildlife Manager will determine if you can keep it or if they want to keep it.

19-Oct-17
I've never heard of that deadhead rule here, not like I've found anything that big anyway! What about sheep? I assume it would be the same for any bighorn ram...

19-Oct-17
According to the statutes, you can't keep a deadhead bighorn sheep. That came about after some guys were caught poaching sheep in Glenwood canyon, then going back later and recovering the horns.

19-Oct-17
Can't wait to see him buddy.

Jaq, any official reports on the Glenwood poachers? How many Rams did they get? Timeframe? What did CPW do? Where at in the canyon?

19-Oct-17
Same for mtn. goat. My neighbors brother found a dead head and posted it on Facebook. The CPW immediately came over and questioned him. They determined it died of natural causes and didnt let him keep it.

19-Oct-17
Jbarch, the Glenwood thing happened 7-8 years ago (my memory is fuzzy). It was well reported in the news and were suspected of killing multiple trophy rams before they were caught. One guy caught with the horns got a $26,500 fine and 4 months in the clink.

19-Oct-17
If I remember correctly concerning the sheep it happened at the entrance of No Name Canyon and along the creek that feeds into the Colorado River. There is a rest area there. A fisherman found the ram's head rapped up in a plastic bag and sort of hidden among the rocks. The DOW was contacted and then set up a sting and waited. The guy later returned to gather up his prize but the 'surprize' he got was a big fine and cell time. The local judge threw the book at him.

19-Oct-17
Yea seems those moose do fight like crazy. One was killed near me last year by another bull.

So you can't keep a sheep skull? That must have changed. Years ago I found a ram skull. Guessed it was lion kill. I took it to the DOW and they checked it out and let me keep it

19-Oct-17
It was 13+ years ago- By: Colorado Division of Wildlife Posted on: 07/27/04 A Glenwood Springs man was sentenced Thursday for the illegal killing of a trophy-size bighorn sheep in Glenwood Canyon. Joshua Eli Lloyd, 25, had been charged with the March shooting of the 3/4 curl bighorn ram.

"The loss of such an animal is not only unfortunate for the people of Colorado," said District Wildlife Manager (DWM) Sonia Marzec, "but it's a loss for the millions of tourists who annually travel through the Glenwood Canyon and observe the majestic bighorns that make the canyon their home."

Lloyd was arrested by Marzec and DWM Darren Chacon, who followed up a tip from a fisherman who found the sheep's head in a plastic bag in a culvert near Interstate 70. The officers set up a surveillance operation and apprehended Lloyd at about 10 p.m. March 7, when he went to the culvert to collect the head.

District Court Judge James Berkley Boyd sentenced Lloyd to 120 days in jail and ordered Lloyd to pay $2,500. The sentence also included 45 hours community service and the requirement that Lloyd forfeit the five firearms seized by the Colorado Division of Wildlife during the investigation. Lloyd was sentenced for willful destruction of wildlife and illegal possession of wildlife. In addition, Lloyd paid a $25,000 surcharge for violating the state's Samson Law, which seeks to protect Colorado's trophy-size wildlife.

Lloyd could still lose hunting privileges in Colorado and 18 other states under the terms of a multi-state compact among wildlife agencies. A decision on whether or not to ban Lloyd from hunting for a period of one year to life can be made by the Colorado Wildlife Commission.

Area Wildlife Manager Pat Tucker gives credit for the successful conclusion of the case to the hard work of Chacon and Marzec, and to the concerned angler who made the original discovery of the head.

“Some of our best cases come from people who see something they believe is wrong and take the time to let us know,” Tucker said. Anyone who wishes to report illegal or suspicious activities involving wildlife can contact their local Division of Wildlife office.

20-Oct-17
The other sheep poaching case there that I remembered was in 2009 and I don't think it was ever solved. Anyway, there have been a number of cases of people poaching stuff like deer on winter range, etc.. then coming back later to get the heads. That has led the CPW to be more suspicious of "found" heads.

Truckle, you did the right thing. Good on you.

21-Oct-17

JBarch's embedded Photo
JBarch's embedded Photo
Sorry to derail Truckie. Lots of highly visible sheep in the canyon and it's easy for the wrong guy to get away with stuff even with all the tourists. Still one of my favorite photos right off the No Name exit. Disappointing to hear about that stuff. The ewe sheep deadheads I've found haven't been a problem with CPW, they just won't plug them is what they've told me.

Truckie post pictures when and if you get your hands on that bull. I still think it'd be a hell of a story to tell your grandchildren about the crazy Monster moose that could kill another bull like that. If I was a kid it'd freak me out.

21-Oct-17
Will do just waiting on the outfitter to get home then I should be picking him up,

Great photo

22-Oct-17
Good to know on the new statute. My bro found a sheep years ago and they didn't even want to look at it. Said he could keep it.

• Sitka Gear