Franklin 03-Nov-17
rut freak 04-Nov-17
rut freak 04-Nov-17
ScottG 10-Nov-17
deerslayer 10-Nov-17
BB81 10-Nov-17
RutnStrut 10-Nov-17
16-Oct-17
I know several of us have 'blogs' posted on their adventures. I thought we might hear from more of us if there is a general place to post what we have seen in the woods. I had an awesome evening yesterday so I will start.

It was my first time on deer stand this year. Got on stand 2.5 hours before quitting time. Heard a lot of turkey gobbling, clucking, purring, and flying up later on. First deer seen was a decent 10 pointer at about 35 yards behind a lot of brush, could use a bit more mass, tine length, and spread to be a great trophy. I was actually glad he did not come in range where I could have a clear shot because it would have been hard to let him walk. He walked slowly away, then stood at about 100 yards for a long time. A doe and fawn ventured close to him and he paid them no attention. Eventually he disappeared in the direction of picked corn. The doe and fawn went another direction.

Next deer was a 6 pointer in the general area where that buck hung around.

Next was a 9 pointer, basically an average 8 with split G2 on his right side. He stood 20 yards broadside drinking water from a cattle pond for a long time. Eventually he walked around the pond and disappeared, again, in the direction of the picked corn.

Awesome evening, I believe I got out of the woods at quitting time without alarming any deer.

16-Oct-17
Can I sit with you ? LOL

16-Oct-17
I used to like the weekly reports we had. My last sit was Friday morning, which was a bust. Out in the woods again tonight. This spot was chosen due to limited time, easy access, and wind direction. Saw 1 unknown deer slip through some brush around 5. Heard 3 different deer blow at different times. Not sure what the deal was. Only 1 could've been down wind. The other 2 were west and north west. Wind was s-sw the entire time. Reminded me again why I don't care for this spot.

16-Oct-17
Friday was a good evening hunt for me, except for the fact I missed. Saw 11 deer. 2 bucks. Hunted the same stand Sunday and saw the same buck. No shot though. Just got to my only stand for this southwest wind. Right now calling it 10 gust to 15. Bright sun and 63f.

16-Oct-17
I have been busy but skipped the Packer game yesterday to get a hunt in on our land in Pierce county. Sat a ground blind as it's in a good spot for a west wind. On the walk in there was a ton of fresh buck sign, scrapes and rubs. New rubs on very big trees within 50 yards of my blind had me excited. I had one young 8 at about 3 yards at 5:15. Had a doe and 2 fawns at 15 yards at 5:45. I really wanted a doe, but could hear another deer coming. It was another young buck, 6 pointer. He harassed the doe a bit and her and the fawns moved off. Also seen 9 turkeys and 6 racoons. Of course all the scrapes I walked past on the way in were reworked. I have a camera over one and got pics of a neat young buck with a lot of palmation. Hopefully he lives a few more years.

16-Oct-17
Swampy, sure but I will have to blindfold you until we get on stand. Also, no GPS hidden in your pocket either.

16-Oct-17

16-Oct-17
Made if out for the first time in a while last night (Sunday). Saw a couple scrapes on the way out to the stand. The stand is looking over an agricultural field that had winter wheat taken off this summer and is now planted with radishes. Saw a doe with her fawn out in the radishes for some time which has been common. No bucks. I did have an owl land in the field about 20 yards from me which was something new.

16-Oct-17
I got out for the 2nd time Sunday afternoon. Saw a group of does and fawns and 3 bucks. 2 were about 80 yds up the hill from me but could tell one was pretty decent. I grunted, but they weren't having it. Bugs are still alive and well, I forgot my head net, the back and sides of my neck look like a gourd.

16-Oct-17
Sat morning I had a 4 ptr come through, 5 minutes later he came back chasing a doe. 2 minutes after that a average 8 came down the trail grunting.

16-Oct-17
I saw a couple deer I've seen in the past. I recently moved in on a spot I've left alone for a sanctuary, but because I took the time to blaze a trail offering me a pretty noninvasive approach, and set up the finest ladder stand in a great tree, in a even better spot lol.

I let the stand sit until the perfect wind, which is a South wind, which I only have one other stand for. The first night I hunt it, I have a three pack bachelor group come in and feed on acorns at about 50 yards. One was a yearling 7, the other a 4 year old 8 pointer, and a 5 year old ten that I messed up on 2 years ago. Both shooters for sure, but light faded, and as I was packing up, they walked by at about 30 yards and caught my wind. They boogied on out, but they didn't blow. My 21 day vacation starts the 30th.

I hunted that stand tonight, and saw nothing. Deer grazing in the alfalfa every night when I walk out, so I'm going to do some surveillance tomorrow night and see what's really out there? I'd probably take a lone doe if I saw one, and tonight in the dark, there was one in the field at about 60 yards upwind of me, so I know there's one out there.

New scrapes showing up.

17-Oct-17
Two sits with a total of 9 bucks. The crummy part is the 10 I was after came right into my shooting lane with me at full draw. Release only to shoot over his back. Jerked my hand when I released. I will admit my heart was pounding out of my chest because it is the largest buck I have ever had a chance at like that. Guess that’s bow hunting.

17-Oct-17
Maya, also be sure you bend at the waist instead of just dropping your arm when shooting downward. Good luck, hang in there. You learn the most from your worst mistakes.

17-Oct-17
Sat last night (Monday) for the first time. I walk down a gravel driveway to get to my spot. As soon as I stepped off the driveway to make my way to my stand a doe blew at me. Don't know if she smelt me or saw me. That wasn't the way I wanted to start the season but I sat anyways.

Had a yearling come by for a bit then disappeared in the corn. Right at sunset way off in the distance I was a couple of does and yearlings. Felt great to be in the stand again.

17-Oct-17
Went out on Sunday afternoon. The forecast was wind from the NW so I picked my stand accordingly. It seems where I hunt the wind is always circling. I had a doe and a button buck come within shooting range around 4PM. It was cool to watch the button buck head butt the doe every time she put her head down to grab an acorn. After they meandered away a small basket 8 point came in and freshened up a scrape. Nice night to be in the woods. I plan on going out again Wednesday morning for a few hours.

17-Oct-17
Tried to get aggressive and sneak into a bedding area on Sunday morning. Dina ally had the right wind and quiet conditions due to the Saturday rain. No sightings other than some empty beds.

17-Oct-17
I had a great sit. I saw the squirrels foraging for food and chasing each other around. Mice doing the same. The wind picked up and blew hard enough it looked like it was snowing leaves thru the forest. Geese honking flying over head with woodpeckers and chickadees in their fall preperations. Peace and quiet as I was just a visitor in the forest world.

Awesome sit and never saw a deer.

17-Oct-17
I Sat for a couple hours this am. What a great morning to be out,the sights and sounds of fall in the hardwoods is absoluetly amasing. No deer movement but the woods awakening this morning was way worth it.

17-Oct-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Seeing that I was In New Orleans the past 10 days, this is the only thing I saw from stand.

17-Oct-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Seeing that I was In New Orleans the past 10 days, this is the only thing I saw from stand.

17-Oct-17
Choot em Elizabeth!!!!, Choot em!!

I sat Saturday AM. Checked the weather for Phillips and it said a S, SW wind for the morning. I chose a stand that I wanted to sit that would be perfect for that wind. Of coarse, I get up in the stand and it's a E, SE, and NE wind. Totally opposite of the Weather. I'm going to start doing the opposite of what the weather says.

17-Oct-17
L2H

Scoutlook has a free app that you can download and then mark all your stand sights. You can then pick stands you might want to hunt and hit the scent cone link and it will show you the wind direction for each stand you choose. (One at a time) Its been fairly accurate for my spots so far since using it.

17-Oct-17
About to leave the house for this evenings hunt. Not expecting much action with 70 degrees and sunshine but it beats working.

17-Oct-17
well I just missed, I passed last year and am out of meat so this year I decided if a mature buck came in I would take it. Well thinking and doing are two different things I guess. A mature big bodied small rack 6 came in tonight about 5:15, clean miss right over top of him. He did not know what was going on took a couple steps behind some brush then after 2 or 3 min he spotted me trying to knock another arrow and trotted off. Funny thing is I moved my climber sunday and shot 10 arrows from it in the exact spot I was tonight and put all 10 in a 21/2" group. Still trying to figure out what I did wrong.

17-Oct-17
So we ended up leasing 40 acres with about 25 acres of corn. Sat it a few times and haven't seen a deer yet.. 3 hunters in 3 different locations and 0 deer. So I need some feed back and thoughts... there is a lot of corn all around us with 80 acres of woods to the west a tree line separating our corn field to the south, an alfalfa find to the north. There's tons of deer sign along all edges of the corn. There's also a marsh and some woods and more corn to the north east. Correct me if I'm thinking wrong, please!!! I'm thinking once some of the corn is gone the deer will be moving well. I've never hunted a plot like this and I'm hoping once the run starts up it'll be hot and loaded with deer. Providing the corn disappears... I'm in a perfect spot, I think... nestled in the corner of the corn, the marsh, and the east wood lot, a killer set up I would think... anyone ever hunt like this? Getting the deer blues...

17-Oct-17

Ram Man's embedded Photo
Here's the lay out
Ram Man's embedded Photo
Here's the lay out

17-Oct-17
Top is north. I'm in the very north east corner on the left side of the finger of woods sticking out.

17-Oct-17
Everything brown is corn...

17-Oct-17
Ram, considerably hard to fully understand your situation without knowing deer density, or how the neighbors hunt, or the rest of what's there around you?

Deer this time of year are eating lush vegetation or acorns. If there's a large wooded plot alongside some alfalfa for example, the deer will be there.

17-Oct-17
First off, I'd like to say this. I have a damn good place to hunt.

I conducted doe surveillance tonight, and hunted the edge of a 40 acre alfalfa field. It is connected to about 120 acres of woods, plus it has a 5 acre island and a 10 acre wooded peninsula. It's a sweet spot. I wanted to see just how many doe are feeding and utilizing the "greens".

Pretty cool night. Saw 6 adult does and 8 fawns. One offered me a shot, but she was small, and was with a fawn. I'm not opposed to taking does, just not yet. Where there's does, there's bucks, and when you have 21 days straight starting the 30th to hunt the rut, you wait.

I really didn't expect to see much more than does and fawns, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a four-pack bachelor group of bucks. A couple yearlings, and a 2.5 and 3.5 year old. The two older bucks sparred for a few seconds. If I never see the 3 year old again, I won't be upset. He's a decent 10 pointer with a broken G4 on his left side, and I would be very tempted to shoot him, but I prefer he lives another year. I've got two other deer that trump him considerably, and would love to put an arrow through one of them instead.

The bucks trotted over to a doe, her yearling fawn from last year, and her two fawns. They werent ready and simply avoided the boys. The boys are ready, and these girls are not.

I was offered a perfect 22 yard shot tonight on a 2.5 year old 7. He looked delicious and had a pretty great big body.

13 more days, and the fun begins! Good luck all!

17-Oct-17
Ram- Agree that it hard when we can't see surrounding land. I would put my stands on both sides of the finger of woods by NE corner too, especially if there isn't much water around. Or by NE corner of woods on west side of pic. My spot kind of reminds me of yours with a bit more woods through it. The property I hunt doesn't really hold many deer so I have to hope they pass through. If there tons of tracks, they are moving through, but may be at night or through corn. I would put up a camera to see when they are coming through, which may help you decide when to hunt. Where I hunt I have to wait for them to pass through, so if its warmer or windier than average, they don't move till later and don't get to my spots till after dark. Hope the corn goes soon and if does come through, the bucks will too. Good luck

17-Oct-17
Went to the same area as my post above, just on the other side of the pond about 80 yards from the other stand. Wind was better there. Story goes bad when a chain saw fired up maybe 200 yards from me on the same property. At exactly the direction deer would usually come from. A neighbor has permission to cut firewood there, he is in there every year about this time. But this time he has a skid steer to load and is dropping what sounded like huge chunks into a tin bottom truck or trailer. He did quit an hour before quitting time.

I did have a deer sneak behind me just as I was packing up at quitting time. I think the firewood activity influenced his route as I have never seen a deer come from that way before. It busted me as I lowered my bow.

18-Oct-17
I stood a chunk of public land that had some decent rutting activity last year that I found during some post hunt scouting. I climbed up a tree to do some viewing of hopefully deer movement. As I'm sitting up in the tree, Something caught my eye about 60 yards away. Here it is a lock on tree stand. The bad part is that the thing is 6 feet up in a tree with no cover around it. When I got down, I went over to take a look and here there are two stands in the tree, one at 6 ft and another at 8 ft. They looked to be there for awhile so I'm hoping they were from the gun season last year. If they are bow hunting, they will spook everything that comes up. Oh, no deer seen, to warm I think.

19-Oct-17
Went to the place with the pond, sat in the stand I was in for the first post in this thread. I was thrilled the firewood cutter was not cutting. Then with 1 hour 5 minutes left in shooting time his saw fires up and dead trees are being pushed over with his skid steer. He quit with 10 minutes left to hunt. grrrrrr... So I stop over at his house on my way home to see what his plans are. Pretty much if it is not raining he will be there otherwise he won't be there, and after daylight savings time ends on Nov 5 he won't have time after work and Nov 4 gun season starts here. Double grrrrrr....

So, what did I see, 17 turkeys on the way in, hundreds of geese flying over, one large flock buzzed directly over me like 10 yards above me on my way out as they were flying off the picked corn field. There were a ton of robins landing at the edge of the pond for a drink.

In that last 10 minutes I did have a deer behind me, too much brush to see what it was. Pretty sure there must be a scrape there. Usually is one. When I started packing up it was scolding me with some long pushes of air, not like a snort tho.

20-Oct-17
Maybe he though you were a competitor? He may have already been in fight mode if he was indeed over a scrape.

20-Oct-17
You might be right about it being a buck, he may have been there for a while too. But I don't think he was one I would have been interested in shooting because I think I would have been able to see some head gear if there were anything significant. I might just take a stool in and see if I can find a tree to sit against that allows me to cover that spot. There is a grass access road going past there and the deer use it but mostly just in that last half hour or so. (and later) I need to get a camera there too.

20-Oct-17
The season is too short man, millions of things we wish we could get to. Before you know it, post rut hits.

20-Oct-17
Went to a different spot where the firewood guy would not likely affect me. Sure enough I saw him drive in with a little over an hour of shooting time left. Drove out with about 5 minutes left. He was far enough away that it had no effect on me. I did have a deer snorting at me when I stood up (ground blind) to pack my bag and leave.

20-Oct-17
Sat in my climber a little way from a food plot, instead of right on the plot (where there's a hang on.) Of course right before dark 2 deer go to the plot from the opposite direction I thought they would. At dark also heard other deer walking near me.

22-Oct-17
Sat an old honey hole in Jefferson last night, public land , with my 3 boys one of which was my 6yr old grandson. We didn't see a deer, it was pretty windy. I forgot how much fun it was to hunt with a little one since my son is now 25. He had a blast, playing with a frog that jumped on him from our man made ground blind. Then catching bugs and trying to feed the frog. Lol. The leaves falling like rain, kept hitting him in the head and he insisted I was doing it to goof around with him. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. I'm so glad I got to share it with him. Maybe we didn't see anything because of my laughing, which I tried to keep quiet... when prime time approached he got serious and eagle eyed for deer. Best hunting trip in a long time. Maybe next weekend we'll harvest a deer together for the first time. It's not always about getting a big buck, it's about the memories and bonding.

22-Oct-17
Very cool, that will hook a youngster on hunting and the outdoors.

22-Oct-17

Oforalot's embedded Photo
Oforalot's embedded Photo
Had one blow on the way into the stand in the dark. Saw one other doe while scouting on the way back out. Found a number of scrapes near where I was sitting and a nice rub. Colors and falling leaves sure were beautiful.

22-Oct-17

ScottG 's embedded Photo
ScottG 's embedded Photo
Had this one 100yards from with 2 doe and a small buck Saturday at noon

22-Oct-17

ScottG 's embedded Photo
ScottG 's embedded Photo
My son had this one 50 yards Saturday evening

22-Oct-17
Slow but did see some deer but late. This morning saw 3. One little buck at 17 yards. Looking forward to next weekend and the after the 4th. Cooler temps coming and I think that will help.

22-Oct-17

Rookie's embedded Photo
Rookie's embedded Photo
Only been sitting for 20 minutes, was going to read but looked up and there's a doe in the food plot. Should be a good night no matter what!!!

22-Oct-17
10/21 am saw what appeared to be a decent buck at 150 yds. Just walking on an old logging road. That distracted me from realizing there was a doe behind me. Only 2 does in the walk in Sat pm. Deer crashing around during walk out. This morning had a doe semi circle around me browsing. I was set up in my climber overlooking the road (that the buck walked on yesterday. ) I'll spare the details, but after multiple games of stare downs, she worked her way within 20 yds. Luckily, I was able to get meat for the freezer. Piled up within 25 yds.

22-Oct-17
Good work novice.

I bumped what I think were two doe and two fawns that were bedded maybe 20 yards from one of my stands tonight. The firewood cutting guy must have took the evening off as I did not hear him.

Today was last day of the Iowa muzzleloader season, two of my friends were muzzleloader hunting the same woods that I will be bow hunting so I stayed out of that woods till now. They each shot a doe earlier and one of them got a 10 pointer this evening. Small enough that I would have passed it up but a nice buck for him. I will probably hunt an evening and next morning there sometime this week, mostly to get me in the woods to check cameras.

22-Oct-17
Not hunting but drove 1.5 hour one way to our land yesterday to hang a stand in the rain. Walking in seen horse shit all over. Checked a camera with horse shit in front of it. Three horses and riders at 7 Friday eve. Pisses me off, I HATE trespassers. If they can afford the kind of horses and tack they had. they can afford their own damn land. Common courtesy is dead.

22-Oct-17
Sat both Saturday and Sunday evenings. Saw 2 bucks Saturday night and three bucks on Sunday but only one doe. None that I wanted to shoot but cannot help but wonder where in the heck the does are.

22-Oct-17
Rut, did you recognize them or the horses? They probably have their own land, just tired of the same trails every time. Take the pics to a place that sells tack or feed, or a vet, they might know the trespassers. If you get a name then give the sheriff their name and pictures.

22-Oct-17
Jeff I did not recognize them. I really wouldn't mind if they ride at other times of the year and ask permission. I usually give people a warning first before involving the sheriff. I did post the pic all over FB asking my area friends and family for ID help. So hopefully the message gets back to the people on the horses.

23-Oct-17
I have not yet been on a stand but I have been checking cameras. I was not seeing any large bucks until last week. I finally got a photo of on that I was hunting last year. I will likely go out hunting later this week but hit it hard in November.

I posted the photo on the Tralcam section here. There is a photo of this same buck in the same pose from last year there so you can see growth in the body. The photos do not show the antlers as much growth but photos are deceptive. I will get more photos of him soon. I hope.

23-Oct-17
Dunn county over the weekend was slow, probably weather related and the fact that corn is still standing EVERYWHERE and won't be coming off for a while. Does were still with fawns and all alone. Cold snap by end of week should hopefully make next weekend magical....now hopefully boss approves a day off for me on Friday! (fingers crossed)

23-Oct-17

WausauDug's embedded Photo
Friday night doe came in bleating like crazy going real slow. I thought it was a lost fawn looking for mom or vice versa. As she got closer I realized it was an adult deer. Right at last light 8pt buck came in. Had trouble seeing thru peep and rushed it a little, heard a huge thrwack and both deer ran off. I was aiming at the kill zone but had never saw the arrow. No blood and just some hair. Next day found the arrow 100yds away. Must have hit him in some heavy shoulder bone. This is a Slick Trick Razor - unbelievably bent up and dulled but still intact. If I"d have been using mechanicals it would be just another failure statistic and I'd feel even worse. A reminder that even a modern fast bow w/ med-heavy arrow and a great fixed broadhead u can't hit'em in the heavy bone

23-Oct-17
Saw 2 adult does, 1 fawn and a 4 point on Saturday morning, nothing Saturday evening. Got rained out on Sunday.

23-Oct-17
Smokey-That's a really nice northwoods buck. BIG body and and a nice clean 10. Good luck!

23-Oct-17
Bummer WD. I've been using Slick Tricks for many years now. Loved them at first, but having some mixed thoughts now. Haven't really had good blood trails. They fly like field points and have good penetration though. Tried a Grim Reaper fixed yesterday, which I'm liking so far. I definitely like a fixed vs mechanical when hitting bone.

23-Oct-17
Walked some of my stand areas in the forest ares yesterday looking for rutting sign, very dismal. No fresh scrapes, rubs, nothing. I hope something shows somewhere I hunt for next week.

23-Oct-17
I hunted AM and PM on Saturday. Saw no deer but I was not hunting my best spots just yet. I put up a ground blind in a food plot I expanded in the spring (they love this chicory). Trail cams show a lot of activity there so by rut time, when they are accustom to the blind I will be sitting there with my decoy. It rained a lot Saturday night and I was glad because it would have washed my scent away from setting up the blind.

For me Sunday was a wash out.

Looking forward to next weekend's cooler temps. Hope the 29-30 degree night temps kills those pesty gnats. ha.

I have vacation from 11/4 to 11/12, hopefully my patience in staying away from my best spots pays off. Most all buck pictures were night but now a few are moving through in shooting light.

Bill

23-Oct-17
Had 5 tom turkeys walk by at 25 yards this morning. Two of them stopped and posed perfect for me to take one out. Did not get a license because I did not think I would get a chance for a shot plus figured not worth possibly wasting a $10 arrow or $5 broadhead on a turkey anyway. Zero deer seen, trying a different spot this afternoon.

23-Oct-17
I just posted another on the cam section. I am now at three shooters so I am getting pumped. I hope the weather is good later this week when I go out.

23-Oct-17
Found three scrapes without looking very hard in central Marathon County. But little sign of buck movement during day on cameras. Still early around here with very skitterish deer.

23-Oct-17

BB81's embedded Photo
BB81's embedded Photo
I will definitely regret passing this big 10 up tonight...however it was my first night on the stand and I didn't want the season to be over in the first two hours...good decision?

23-Oct-17
BB81, just keep reminding yourself why you passed him up. You can add to your list that he looks a little skinny.

I saw 22 turkeys on my evening sit today. Closest 40 yards.

23-Oct-17
Thanks Jeff, good advice. Hope you start seeing more than turkey's soon

23-Oct-17
BB81 - Only you will know if it was the right decision and it rests easy in your memory bank. I suspect though that if you even thought of this, of not ending your season in the first two hours, it definitely was the right decision. To my way of thinking it reveals you value the experience of bowhunting along with, and at that moment in time, above the result of bowhunting. I see nothing wrong with that attitude and believe it is the mark of a true bowhunter. You do not have to kill something to be successful.

24-Oct-17
Casekiska, excellent response. You said it all.

24-Oct-17
I would have shot him and been happier than a pig in a puddle. My season would not have ended with him, it ends at the end of January. Nice buck!

24-Oct-17
BB81, that's a tough one. I did the same last year with a nice mid 140's 9 point because it was only my second sit of the season. I don't regret it one bit.

24-Oct-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Knowing you fooled him and could have tagged out gives me all the satisfaction I need. It drives my son who is not at that point in his life nuts that I pass so many deer. Well done BB81. A buck like that might have gotten me to punch the release.

Had this doe at 15 yards tonight. Only deer seen.

25-Oct-17
Burnett County, 8:35am 10/25, 2.5 yr old 7 pt. was sternly walking behind / chasing two fawns. First time I've seen fawns without mom this year.

25-Oct-17
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support and it's great to hear that some of you have done the same. I took this picture from a video that I shot of him while making a scape and rub about 20 yards from me. Pretty awesome to be in the woods during the rut. The stand is a place for me to get away from it all and like Casekiska said, the experience of bow hunting is just as great as harvesting a buck. Maybe I'll get a crack at one of the bigger boys walking around, or maybe this will be closest I come all season, either way I won't regret it!

26-Oct-17
Many people on here are in that last of the stages of deer hunting. When you are out there just for the joy of being out there and seeing deer, having opportunities to shoot them but letting (most of them) them walk is more satisfying than ending your season.

26-Oct-17
So true Jeff.

26-Oct-17
I saw a vehicle parked where I wanted to go. Ended up in a spot close by and saw nothing.

26-Oct-17

xtroutx's embedded Photo
xtroutx's embedded Photo
I havent been out in the past 7 day, but got this boy on camera on the 20th,camera stopped working after these pics. I think he turned it off. :)

26-Oct-17
Them wise old bucks are tricky like that.

26-Oct-17
Yup, I know I have some big bucks around that are camera shy, they must be because they seldom walk in front of my cameras. ;-)

28-Oct-17

Rookie's embedded Photo
Rookie's embedded Photo
Just testing the "take your photos sideways" idea.

29-Oct-17
My son and I sat Dodge county last nigh, near Allenton, sat 2-close and saw and heard nothing still. ??

29-Oct-17
Sorry to hear Ram Man -

First sit of the season for me, hawk trapping took most of my time. But Im done with that and a new FAT female red tsail to show for that! WExcited!

One unknown came in just before light - could make out the silhouette and that was it. 8:50 a BIG doe and her fawn stopped by to visit and visited my new mock scrape while there - Neighbor started talking to his dog about 25 minutes later and I was done - out maybe this afternoon.

Saw 3 does on way home blast across the road and yesterday a NICE 8 point came walking across a town road by me at 3:15 PM. That was cool - he was in no hurry!

29-Oct-17
Didn't get into my tree until 3 yesterday. NW wind was chilling but I'm dressed warm enough, except now I know the new boots aren't warm enough without heavier socks. Facing NE across 75yds of corn then woods (& a bedding area a little further north) with a 2 track farm "road" between them. At 5 I hear a diesel truck coming up the road. Right where I'm facing I watch this jackwagon back into the woods, leaves the truck running for a few minutes while he takes a pee & unloads stuff. Then he finally shuts off the truck, proceeds to chop down a tree (yep, with a hatchet), then puts up a stand. At 1st I was hoping if there were any deer in the corn he might scare them my way. Nothing, hunt ruined. This is private land but I'm not the only person with permission to hunt. But I sure wish he'd done this a couple months ago, or mid day during the week. I'll try again, I have all of next week off.

30-Oct-17
Me and my 2 boys sat a honeyhole in Sullivan last night. I heard one grunting as his antlers hit the small thicket of saplings he jotted thru. Heart was racing again... I love this sport!! My oldest son, the first time hunter had a doe run by him at 30 yards and the big boy was right behind her. Never stopped, so no shot, but he was still shaking 20 minutes later. LOL. Yep he's hooked!!

30-Oct-17

Mac's embedded Photo
Mac's embedded Photo
Sat Saturday morning and had some excitement. I had two young deer locking horns off in the woods. Shortly after the moved off I had the deer in the picture walk through at 70 yds. Moved through the property and jumped the fence onto the property to the east. Exciting just to see him moving in the daylight. We found out later that morning shortly after jumping the fence that the property to east put him down.

30-Oct-17
Was up in Phillips, WI all week last week. Hunted the mornings and afternoons, has to work in the middle of the day. Early part of the week, the weather was crap, rained Monday night, and stopped Tuesday morning. Was windy as hell all day Tuesday, which made for tough sits. Wednesday morning it calmed down, and watched a nice 8 making a rub at about 200 yds, through my binoculars. Tried to get his attention, but he didn't care. Late week cold snap and snow helped get things moving. Saturday morning was fun, lots of activity. Had a big 10 pt about 100yds out, but he was moving kind of fast, and had no interest in my grunts.

Taking a week to let the stands calm down, then i'm headed back up Sat. for another week during what should be a fun rut hunt. I know there's some big ones out and about, just need to fool them into coming close!

30-Oct-17

saw this beauty w/ 6 cows on GG on the way to Bayfield
saw this beauty w/ 6 cows on GG on the way to Bayfield

30-Oct-17

snow hit Friday and pretty much shut down our bowhunting
snow hit Friday and pretty much shut down our bowhunting
the snow never left the trees so we just scouted for gun season the rest of the weekend. Pretty much a repeat mess of the whole gun season of 2014

30-Oct-17

FredBear76's embedded Photo
Pic from my stand.
Pic from my stand.
Hunted 27th,28th, and 29th in Richland County. Saw 10 bucks, all of whom where chasing does. I was able to watch two sets of bucks sparring over a doe. There was a lot of action through most of the days. I took one shot at a nice 10 pointer, but under shot him and away he went... Overall it was a great weekend of hunting.

30-Oct-17

30-Oct-17
Sat 1:45-close yesterday. First time out in a week due to family commitments. Saw 5-6 different bucks, the largest was a 1.5 year old 8. One interesting fork with very long tines with about a 12 inch spread -- should be a nice deer at some point.

Did see 2 adult doe with fawns in toe and also 2 adult doe with small bucks chasing.

The property next to me took a nice 10 pointer that was chasing yesterday. So I'm hopeful to get out tomorrow and see if there is another big guy around.

I estimate that we have 8-10 small bucks roaming the property, so with some restraint and work some of them should become nice deer.

30-Oct-17
my son came up fri night and I put him in a stand behind the house on sat. perfect wind for that stand. He seen five different bucks several does,seven turkeys, and a grouse, thoughout the day,and said he even got a nap in, He said it was one of the best days of hunting he has ever had and didnt shoot one arrow. I really enjoy seeing others enjoy like that. I loved that it was not all about the kill.

30-Oct-17

MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
The Friday snow storm really messed up a lot of weekend plans along Lake Superior. Visibility in the woods was still next to zero yesterday with the wet, heavy and sticky snow clinging to EVERY branch in the woods and bending every limb and branch and making walking next to impossible. I chose not to even try to get back into my spot. The picture is from yesterday as I drove through the Moquah Barrens. It was beautiful, but kept me out of the woods.

30-Oct-17
You never know - Last night got in the stand a little late - haven't hunted it before. I pulled the camera card on a main trail and looked at it once in the stand. Small bucks and does - crap! Soooooo....when I hit the grunt call later into the sit, I thought I heard a grunt.

I sat staring towards the ground trying to listen...there it was again.. and again!

I look up and to my left in a field the farmer just cut is one of the widest 8 pointers I have ever seen - some 22 inch inside I estimate...coming right at me.

Long story short - never a ethical shot. He walked into the thick stuff and fought his horns through the crap. Nowhere to punch an arrow through. I was at full draw twice but never let one fly. I softly grunted at him twice. He just turned his head and looked. Slowly he walked out of my life.

What an experience. I'll dream about that buck for a long time. That was about 5:30 PM.

30-Oct-17
I should have just hired someone to handle the rentals I take care of. I got called back for a water heater not working and found a few more issues due to the renter. They are all time eaters but very easy fixes for me. Problem is my mind is on bowhunting as it always is, but moreso this time of year. I can't focus on anything else for more than a half hour. Point of me posting in this thread. I saw 3 little bucks dogging a doe on my way to work this morning. I turned around to see if there was a big one in tow, but nothing.

30-Oct-17
Hunted sat evening and had 26 does and fawns go past all on the same general route. I haven’t seen anything like that since I was a kid in the 60’s in Shawano Co. Sunday never saw a thing

30-Oct-17
Haven't seen a deer yet, but then again I haven't been out much. Haven't found a scrape or rub yet, although the cameras show the bucks around my area are just now moving a little more. Plan on hitting it hard this coming week.

30-Oct-17
RutnStrut you're not alone. I consider myself also in rut this time of year. 1 thing on my mind.

30-Oct-17
2014, yes the gun season up north that should be forgotten. Almost half as bad as the Halloween Blizzard of 91 in most of Minnesota.

02-Nov-17

WoundChannel's embedded Photo
WoundChannel's embedded Photo
First time out in a while. Work and house buying in October don’t mix.

02-Nov-17

the brothers got it done this morning in Clark cnty. Short blood trails here which ya gotta love!

02-Nov-17
A couple nice deer hanging there!!

02-Nov-17

DANO's embedded Photo
DANO's embedded Photo
Waukesha county. Buck chasing doe 5pm last night shot 30yrs ran 100 hit bottom of heart

03-Nov-17
Saw mature bigger bucks shadowing does.....saw 130" type bucks just moseing along....nothing urgent or intense going on....Richland County.

04-Nov-17

rut freak's embedded Photo
rut freak's embedded Photo
have been reading this site for 2 years now, love it so decided to join. morning sit seen 3 bucks 2 small 8 and one large 8. last night went to a new stand seen 5 does and a great 8.

04-Nov-17

10-Nov-17
Been a wired rut for me this year. Halloween weekend was awesome. Seen multiple shooters that weekend including a 13 pt that I shot. Still hunting with my son, since then only a few small bucks and almost no does. The day after i shot my buck i sat in a randum stand to stay away from where my son was and I ended up seeing 20 some deer. Now the does are like gone. Anyone else having similar activity? Any idea what's going on?

10-Nov-17
I saw 13 does/ fawns today and only 2 bucks. One was a shooter, but I got no response to calling and the other was a spike that was being chased by what looked like a really big house cat. I ended up taking a doe at 11 am since this was the only deer that I had an opportunity to take all season. Portage County.

10-Nov-17
Yep, same. All does may be tied up with the big boys right now.

10-Nov-17
I am at the point where I may burn my buck tag on a young buck just for meat. We have a lot of bucks. But the does have disappeared.

• Sitka Gear