Jon Stewart 21-Dec-17
Burly 21-Dec-17
stikbow208 22-Dec-17
stikbow208 22-Dec-17
Jon Stewart 22-Dec-17
18-Oct-17

Copperman's embedded Photo
Copperman's embedded Photo
ok I'll start it again, been a great season so far, lots of deer movement I shot a doe on the second and this guy last night. How's everyone else doing, let's see them!

18-Oct-17

PinePoint's embedded Photo
PinePoint's embedded Photo
I shot this doe in the morning of the 15th. Hope to be back in the woods again soon.

19-Oct-17
Got a bear on Sept 10th , the opener. Recurve at 6 yards.

20-Oct-17
I killed a squirrel with a stick. Lol

13-Nov-17

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
Back from the north west lower, Thursday till Sunday lots of does and small bucks. I shot this one Friday. Liver hit and a long recovery.

13-Nov-17
Nice !!! Way to go !!!

13-Nov-17
Nice photo, that's a good one

13-Nov-17
nice buck!

22-Nov-17
No pic so you get the story as posted on the Leatherwall. Oct 8 my first day out this year. Bear T/D with Rose Oak limbs.

About four years ago I started trying a ground blind for the first time since about 1975 when we were allowed to take to the trees. I had a few places I thought would work on the farm I hunt. I've sat them maybe 10-15% of my time out. I've had a few 20 yard encounters, but never any shots. That changed yesterday. I sat a blind near an historically great tree stand area (until it flooded) It's in a fence row facing a small plot of corn. According to my phone I was settled in at five to seven. It was really warm for October. Almost 70* already. This in turn made it foggy. I LOVE hunting in the fog. There seems to be a calming effect on deer and they also seems to get caught further out than normal when it burns off.

I'm sitting there soaking it in when out of the blue I hear sniffing sounds, RIGHT THERE! By right there I mean just the other side of the fence I am behind. I look and there it is a deer only 6-8 feet from me.

I grab my bow, point it, and start to align myself for a shot. I am just a tad out of alignment so I turn. As I do my lower limb brushes my leafy suit. I hear it, and so does the deer. It locks on to me. I freeze at about 2" draw. Don't make eye contact! I'm looking right into the tree I'm behind keeping track of the deer in my peripheral vision and praying I don't get the shakes holding my bow.

After a minute or so the deer decides I'm nothing. It drops its head and keeps feeding. It goes behind the tree and I let down and arrange for it popping out the other side.

The deer comes into view again. It can't be more than 12 feet from me. I start to draw and get flummoxed as I can't really see anything of my riser or arrow to aim due to the fog and barely past dawn. It's so close I must have let instinct take over. I drew but don't remember anchoring (if I did) and let it fly.

I hear that old familiar thwack! and the hollow pumpkin sound we all love. It takes off into the corn and a couple seconds later I hear the unmistakable crash. It is 7:20.

I call my brother on the radio and he says "I heard it crash." Yeah so did I. I wait about fifteen minutes and check the hit site. Can't find hair or blood. Admiral Doubt started setting in. I go back to the blind and wait.

At the half hour mark I go out again. Still no hair or blood, I am getting concerned. I back up for a wider view and almost step on my arrow. Red from stem to stern. ;-) I start off into the corn hoping blood will show. Still no sign. I head off towards where the crash was. I know. I'm violating all of the good tracking rules. I start looking down the corn rows. There are a couple large areas that the corn didn't take. I stop and scan the edges. THERE IT IS!

I go up and check out my kill. Probably one of the most perfect kill shots I ever made. I am slightly bummed out to see what I thought was a doe was a small spike. 2" x 4" Still and all a great morning from a ground blind.

Post season addition. Because I burned my unrestricted tag I had buttons to 6 pointers under me ALL season. Does and bigger bucks stayed the required 40 yards out.

22-Nov-17
great story, congrats on the buck.

27-Nov-17
I got an 8 pt with a broken brow on Nov 21st. Had a couple places lined up to hunt. One setup for bow and one setup for rifle. The bow spot fell through so I hit the farm with my rifle. First hunt I had several does come out with the buck behind them. Farmer said to shoot the first thing that walked out. Afterwards, he asked why I didn't shoot a doe too, but I was perfectly content with one deer.

27-Nov-17
Way to go !!! Congrats !!!

28-Nov-17
Good for you. I hope you enjoyed your stay.

28-Nov-17

happygolucky's embedded Photo
My son and I did not get it done with our bows. We did not see any decent bucks and my son was busted by multiple does (too many eyes and noses at one time). My son did kill a big doe and a 6pt with his gun. We must have had a dozen young bucks on our crappy land this year but only one decent one we never saw when hunting.

We are ready for some serious cold now so we can hit the hard water. Camp has been shutdown for the year.

28-Nov-17

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
I'm at my cabin in Newberry in the same situation Happy.... I gun hunt during gun season and make no apologies.... I just got here this afternoon and had a few does in close. Venison that the DNR won't let me shoot...

28-Nov-17
Good for your son !!!

29-Nov-17

Great looking doe there BB. I hope they loosen things up soon in your area. We have lots of them in our area too.

Pic is my son's doe on the meat pole.

I make no apologies either for enjoying time in the woods with a rifle. My son likes gun hunting too. To us, it is all about being in the woods and making memories.

29-Nov-17
That's a dandy big doe !!!

20-Dec-17

stikbow208's embedded Photo
My spring turkey

20-Dec-17

My U P bear

21-Dec-17
Nice !!!!!!

21-Dec-17
Nice Bear Roger. I shot one on Sept 10 but it is a bit smaller than yours. Maybe a 2 or 3 year kick off from what the DNR told me. It was my first and probably last. Shot it out of dads old bear stand.

21-Dec-17

Burly's embedded Photo
Burly's embedded Photo
My oldest son got this snow doe .

21-Dec-17

Burly's embedded Photo
Burly's embedded Photo
I managed to get this late season buck.

21-Dec-17
OUTSTANDING job Burly and son. wished I could stand the cold to hunt December.

21-Dec-17
OUTSTANDING job Burly and son. wished I could stand the cold to hunt December.

21-Dec-17
Thanks, it's been a trying season.

22-Dec-17
Thank you, Jon. I have great memories of your dad, you and your brothers. I hope we get a chance to sit down and talk one day soon.

22-Dec-17
Congrats on your bear, Jon. Shooting it out of your dad's stand must have been special.

22-Dec-17
Wife and I get to a few shoots every year, Elm Hall and the MTB Grayling to name a couple. Maybe we could share camp fire at one and talk about the "olde days" as they say. Dads been gone over 6 years now and I sure miss him.

• Sitka Gear