ground hunter 09-Nov-17
ground hunter 09-Nov-17
DoorKnob 12-Nov-17
Missouribreaks 12-Nov-17
CaptMike 13-Nov-17
MNBowAddict 13-Nov-17
CaptMike 14-Nov-17
30-Oct-17
Kleefisch is looking for co-sponsors of a bill to legalize the use of airbows and high powered air rifles during the gun deer season. I have my own opinion on this but I don't really care to debate it. I just thought some of you might be interested.

30-Oct-17
I see no problem with lesser weapons in gun seasons. Personally I'd like to try a spear :)

30-Oct-17
I'd like to see atlatl season for a couple weeks while they're still in velvet.

30-Oct-17
Since "airbows" have the word "bow" in the name, I'd expect a couple of our novice members here to say that they should be included in the archery season.

30-Oct-17
I'm fine with this as long as it's kept in the gun seasons only. I would be more likely to use an air bow than a real gun if I had that option. I too would like to try a spear or an atl atl during the bow season.

30-Oct-17
Gun season only if there really is a demand for these weapons.

30-Oct-17
What a bunch of BS....

He's got someone lining his pockets again....

31-Oct-17
It'll start with gun season and eventually will end up in archery season. Not to worry. We wont give them full inclusion......

31-Oct-17
Retro, who is "we?" LOL!

31-Oct-17
"Airbows" will get full inclusion into the archery season. Putting Airbows in the rifle season first; comes right from the crossbow playbook. Has a "Wisconsin Airbow Federation" been created yet?

31-Oct-17
what is with this guy and always introducing weird bills. I shouldn't be surprised since when this goes through his buddy can sell them at Buck Rub or some other store can help him on the back end.

31-Oct-17
Wausau, the last half of that comment was the most ignorant comment I have seen you make.

31-Oct-17
It was introduced in the Michigan legislature last week.

31-Oct-17
CaptMike his name is attached to the crossbow season, bait ban sunset now the blow-dart-bow-gun thing? All great accomplishments to hang your hat on. And I"m sure I've said dumber things than that

31-Oct-17
Capt Mike, we need to unite and keep air bows out of our crossbow season. If we stand united, we can stop full inclusion and make them get their own season which runs concurrent with the crossbow season. Then in two years we can re-evaluate.......

31-Oct-17
Well played retro :).

31-Oct-17
Retro, as a couple novices, I'd love to get you and Happy more involved. What do you two say, ready to get to work?

31-Oct-17
Dig, my comment was directed at the "Buddy at Buckrub" statement. You clearly know nothing about that so no, I doubt you've said anything more ignorant.

31-Oct-17
Wausau, me thinks you hit a nerve.

31-Oct-17
So Captain Mike, not only do you belittle and judge people based on their weapon of choice, but now you do the same based on people's years of hunting experience. You seem to take pleasure in calling people novices. Wow. I hope you wear a safety harness on that super tall pedestal you perch from.

31-Oct-17
Maybe next will be spear chucking drones?

31-Oct-17
Happy, I am just trying to help you through the formative years. You in for something a little more constructive than an occasional baseless internet rant?

31-Oct-17
Rut, you are very perceptive. Yes, those who speak with an obvious ignorance do strike a nerve with me. If he is wanting to debate it with facts, I am all in.

31-Oct-17
For the crying out loud! Some of you guys know of BuckRub? Small world...

31-Oct-17
There is no reason to legalize airbows into any season. The only reason is to gain a foothold to move into other seasons. Captmike, I am sure you know the economics of what the crossbow season did to the owner of backrub, seems like you helped that along. Own up to it is what I am reading here.

01-Nov-17
Glunker, I see you have joined the ranks of the ignorant/uninformed. When I see how naive people can be on this little forum, it helps explain how the masses can be so ignorant on the important issues in life. Really very sad.

01-Nov-17
Quiet everyone!!!!! I think Capt Mike is about to explain the meaning of life......

01-Nov-17
Follow along Retro, I am willing to help.

01-Nov-17
Glunker, to answer your question, yes I do know. The crossbow season has crippled the sales of vertical archery products. Simple to set up, load and shoot, they require no tuning and can be purchased from big box and discount stores with the purchaser not worrying about service. Accurate as a rifle, they require no practice, thus no replacement of parts and accessories that wear due to practice. Yes, I do know. What was your point??

01-Nov-17
I see the captain is in full attack mode and has taken over this thread complete with his childish and standard name calling. Nothing new here.

01-Nov-17
Happy, saying a person is ignorant or uninformed is hardly "attacking." It is descriptive of the level of knowledge a person has on a certain subject. I think my response to Glunker bears that out.

If you are referring to my response to you and Retro, just the littlest bit of reading will demonstrate who initiated the dialogue. Now please do not take this as "attacking" but it appears your feelings are easily hurt, or, you simply inject a snide comment, most likely due to me presenting you with facts you cannot refute. I realize you are simply trying to save face. Time to grow up.

01-Nov-17
So.....did Kaz....as a member of the NRB (if that's correct) support x bow legislation? References for responses?

01-Nov-17
Tweed, you are correct that he is a member of the NRB. Rest assured he did not and does not in any way support crossbows in an archery season. I too will eagerly await any supporting facts to show otherwise.

01-Nov-17
"Time to grow up. "

Yes it is time for you to follow your own advice. Well stated. Now try to listen to yourself. It might echo from that very tall pedestal you use to look down at all others here. Careful buddy.

Snide remark? I told retro "Well played" on one of his comments which was intended to be humorous. Why would you take that personally and get your undies in a bundle over it? It was well played and it made me laugh. No need to lash out at retro or me. Remember, others are entitled to their own opinions on bowsite. People should not have to pm you to get permission on what to post. Expecting people to do that would be, well, ignorant ;).

01-Nov-17
Happy, you keep digging but you are no closer to getting out. Oops, hope this does not come across as "lashing out." The nice thing about looking from a pedestal is the clear view you get.

01-Nov-17
Bowhunting is in a very steep decline, why stop now? There are those who are "happy" to endorse anything that is easy.

01-Nov-17
Captain Mike, seeing I'm a novice, I'm hoping you can educate me on something. Bill AB 194 was the bill eliminating the age restriction on crossbows allowing them to be used the exact same days as the vertical bow season. In fact, the amendment to AB 194 required that the "crossbow season" run concurrent to the archery season in 2014 and 2015.

Isn't it true that you, representing SCI and Southeast Wisconsin Bowhunters, registered in favor of AB 194?

I found this online and it interested me.

"According to the Senate committee clerk’s report, nobody registered in opposition to AB 194. Those who testified in support of AB 194 were Czaja, Danou, Schimelpfenig, Moulton, Lobner, Dymale, Fritsch, Brent Gardner of the National Rifle Association, Sen. Paul Farrow, R-33rd Senate District, Mike Pjevach of SCI and Southeast Wisconsin Bowhunters, Chris Caliendo of SCI, Steven Cripps of SCI Badgerland, Kathy Pantzlaff of United Sportsmen of Wisconsin, Jeff Nass of Wisconsin FORCE, and Jeff Perlewitz of Southeast Wisconsin Bowhunters.

Those who registered in favor of the bill but did not testify were Scott Meyer of United Sportsmen of Wisconsin, Natural Resources Board member Greg Kazmierski, Tom Corcoran, and Craig Enders. "

Why would you and all these others vote in favor of this bill versus making a statement and voting against it? I am truly ignorant to why someone would not have voted against this. Thanks in advance for the edification.

01-Nov-17
Good job Happy! Now go back and watch the taped testimony. Because I really do not care for you, I'll bait you along, a little bit at a time.

01-Nov-17
Where can we find the taped testimony? All I can find is the final hearing meeting saying you were for use of crossbows by all.

01-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Happy....Reggie...

This is what I'm finding...

01-Nov-17
I can already see it . People selling their crossbow's for an air gun . In year's to come I see a lot shorter season . Choice of weapon . Wonder about speargun's ?

01-Nov-17

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
I think this is the final hearing. Not sure if this means some people changed their minds. All so confusing...

02-Nov-17
Capt Mike helped save us. Can you imagine if crossbows would of got full inclusion? They would of had the same season length, and bag limits as bow hunters. And we wouldnt be able to review in 2 years... Thank god for intellectual people.....

02-Nov-17
Correction Retro, with full inclusion, there would be no seperate record keeping as it relates to kill numbers by choice of weapon. The crossbow would have simply been considered archery equipment and would have been forever combined with vertical bows. Had that happened, your buddy Happy would not have been able to look up past season totals by weapon. In this manner, each weapon can stand, fall or be adjusted based on its own merit.

Not that you know anything about merit, as you have yet to add anything of merit or fact to this conversation. Guess that makes you ignorant on the subject?? ;)

02-Nov-17
I too am confused but I'm a novice and ignorant and that is why I asked for the edification. I just really wonder why people who vehemently are against something, would vote in favor of it. We all know Walker's coffers were lined. Were all these others (people and/or groups) coffers lined too? There has to be a valid reason all these people voted in favor of full inclusion for what is now 4 years (and running).

"Because I really do not care for you" I'm sorry you don't care for me Captain because I really think you are wealth of knowledge always willing to assist those who know less than you.

02-Nov-17
Tweed, my guess is Happy only "finds" the parts that suit his agenda. I have schooled him and he is attempting to save face. I am OK with that. On the other hand, Retro knows nothing. He is the little kid sticking his tongue out at me from behind his mommies dress.

Yet, this conversation is good as it brings awareness and interest to others. Something that was sorely lacking in 2013.

02-Nov-17
So you are against hunting with a crossbow, but voted for it so we could accurately track kill numbers?

02-Nov-17
"Tweed, my guess is Happy only "finds" the parts that suit his agenda. I have schooled him and he is attempting to save face. I am OK with that."

Captain Mike - you stated the following above -->

"Tweed, you are correct that he is a member of the NRB. Rest assured he did not and does not in any way support crossbows in an archery season. I too will eagerly await any supporting facts to show otherwise. "

So, seeing that I am a fan of Google, I tried to find the information for Tweed. That is when I discovered this interesting information. It was straight forward and it looks like factual information that you indeed were not against full inclusion of xbows and voted in favor of it. I hope you invested that money wisely. Please school me some more. I told you I need the edification. Oh, and yes, Kaz did approve full inclusion of xbows too according to what I read. That makes this statement by you 100% wrong --> "Rest assured he did not and does not in any way support crossbows in an archery season". I guess you don't need to wait any longer for supporting facts to prove otherwise. You are welcome!

02-Nov-17
"Retro knows nothing. He is the little kid sticking his tongue out at me from behind his mommies dress. "

No Captain - you don't ever get into belittling and name calling. That one is even a new low for you. Mommies (sic) dress? Thanks for continuing to prove my point about you and how you interact when people opine differently than you like. You should not type when you are angry.

02-Nov-17
Come on, now. We all know *mommy's* dress is fact based, and definitely has merit here...

02-Nov-17
This was another nice tidbit from the article:

"The three major co-authors of AB 194, Rep. Chris Danou, D-Trempealeau, Sen. Paul Farrow R-Pewaukee, and Rep. Mary Czaja, R-Irma, led off the hearing with their comments for why they drafted the bill.

Danou said this was good for the hunting tradition and for businesses, and that it will not violate the public trust or issues of fair chase.

Czaja noted that it would provide growth for businesses, such as Mathews Bow in Sparta."

We know it helped Kaz's Buck Rub business. When you go to his website https://www.buckrubarchery.com/ It states "The Midwests Bowhunting and Crossbow Authority".

02-Nov-17
Capt- so what conversations, information or bargaining took place between the info that I found (dated 05/22/13) and the info that Reggie found (dated 08/21/13) to make so many people and groups change their side on the issue?

Seems like a huge swing in just three months.

Even Donald cant' get that kind of turn around 8^)

02-Nov-17
Guys, the crossbow revolution is only because many hunters no longer choose to bowhunt, they prefer the more deadly and easy to use crossbow. Many of the posters here use crossbows, plan to use crossbows, or encourage others to use crossbows.

Bowhunting is dying and will continue to die. It is not about the law. Bowhunters have a choice and most have chosen to drop out of bowhunting and move on to crossbow hunting. It is as simple as that, bowhunters quitting bowhunting to crossbow hunt. A choice hunters are making.

02-Nov-17
Happy continues to marginalize himself. At least I now have him admitting that he is ignorant. Yes Missouri, it is a fact that cross bows were pushed by and for lazy people and their enabler's. Some horses will not drink but I will continue trying to bring them to the water.

02-Nov-17
Fortunately bowhunting will not die totally. There will always be a few dedicated bowhunters who respect the animals they hunt and do not seek more tech advantages over them. The remainder of the hunters will look for the easy and lazy kill and get back to their keyboards and drink.

02-Nov-17
Tweed, it looks like the captain is not willing to answer your questions or anyone else's for that matter. I have a guess though and it is pure speculation and I have no proof and what they did would be legal. I think the NRA served them all a nice steak and lobster dinner. The Crossbow Federation supplied the champagne. All the constituents were handed a nice little envelope as appreciation for their full inclusion vote as they walked out the door.

02-Nov-17
"Yes Missouri, it is a fact that cross bows were pushed by and for lazy people and their enabler's"

So what does that say about all those people who voted in favor of full inclusion like you did Captain?

02-Nov-17
Say it how ever it makes you feel good. BUT we don't have full inclusion. We have a crossbow season and can be regulated as such. Just as many small game seasons it runs concurrent with the archery season. The reason the groups accepted this and voted for was because there was no stopping the push for crossbows and the only positive outcome was for them to have a separate season. Can't believe in the middle of the rut you guys are arguing over spilt milk from 2 years ago.

02-Nov-17
DT, I sure can see your take, but to me, until the dates of the vertical bow season are not exactly the same as that of the crossbow season, it is basically full inclusion. If you look at Kentucky, which Captain Mike pointed out in the current xbow thread, xbows are not allowed during the rut = not full inclusion. In MI, xbows are not allowed in the UP in late season = not full inclusion. What we have with separate licensing does help track kills and is great. MI did that too (they were 1st) requiring an xbow stamp.

02-Nov-17
Regardless of tag used you still need to report weapon type in WI.

02-Nov-17
Nobodys arguing. A couple guys are asking honest questions from the self proclaimed expert on the whole subject and hes talking in circles making everybody dizzy......

02-Nov-17
We all know that the information given over the phone on weapon used is accurate. Happy I wasn't aware of those states having true separate times for the use of crossbow. I would like that for Wisconsin but it has as much chance as a total traditional season too.

03-Nov-17
"Happy I wasn't aware of those states having true separate times for the use of crossbow. I would like that for Wisconsin but it has as much chance as a total traditional season too. "

This was to be addressed after year 2. It is now year 4 with no changes. If money won the first time, and it looks like the money may have flowed (legally but ethically right is the question) down many levels with EVERYONE changing their votes out of nowhere, how could one not expect the same result going forward? Maybe airbows are next? Kaz would profit from them too. He's a leader in Crossbows in the Midwest.

What disturbs me with this unexpected discovery is wondering if the members in the groups Mike and others were representing knew their "leaders" were either A) crossbow advocates all along or B) chose to follow the money going against the member's wishes with the vote. This is worse IMO than the legislature voting 96-0 to move forward after the hunters voted it down multiple times. These people were representing others. Then you have the Governor signing it in going against the Sportsmen for Walker. We all knew that was money related but we did not know how deep it flowed.

It is a total shame how corrupt politics and money can always win out in every situation. I can't believe that not one single person in that group would have had the gumption to stick up for what he/she felt was right and voted no. Money talks.

03-Nov-17
Retro, it is apparent that you live in a state of "dizziness." Yes Pasq, I told Happy about Kentucky when he was saying that no other states have limited crossbow use, after they were allowed into an archery season.

03-Nov-17
"Yes Pasq, I told Happy about Kentucky when he was saying that no other states have limited crossbow use, "

Please be accurate Captain. I never said no other states have limited crossbow use. I said no states have shortened their archery seasons due to crossbows. Please try to be factual for once. I hunt in MI and knew they did not have full inclusion. I love what Kentucky did. Thanks for providing that information.

03-Nov-17
Happy, Kentucky had the good sense to shorten the crossbow season due to their high success rate. You continuously tell us that crossbowshave no impact on deer seasons. You are incorrect, as Kentucky has demonstrated. By the way, you ready to put money where your mouth is? You continue to claim that WI has full inclusion and I disagree. I'm betting the testes are a bit small for you to take that bet?

03-Nov-17
Keep digging and spinning Mike. You aren't getting out of that hole and back on your pedestal without a crane this time.

We will disagree on full inclusion. Many are in disagreement on this and although you don't allow it, people are all entitled to their opinions. There are people on both sides as you've seen and it is simply conjecture on both sides. When the dates or kill rules change, then I'll change my position. Kentucky and MI are examples of non full-inclusion. Kudos to them.

I am open minded on my opinion on the impacts of xbows. I know that is a rare viewpoint. I voted against them but know they are here to stay and will live with them. As you know, I even have friends who use them. I won't judge or belittle my friends. Having lived through the advent of compounds, there is some history with what has formed my opinion. After all, bowhunting survived the influx of hunters and kills when the wheels came. You have never once posted any statistical information to make me believe that bowhunting is ruined as we knew it. When I see that information, I will definitely change my opinion. I am very willing to change my opinions on things as I learn more. I love learning from you since you seem to know it all. Until then, I will just hunt, enjoying my time and solace in the woods and not live my life as if the sky is falling. I still feel bowhunting is alive and well in WI. I guess I like to look on the positive side.

But, since crossbows do have a negative impact on all seasons as you say, why did you vote for their full inclusion? That seems strange to me yet it is right there in black and white that you did approve them for the exact same dates as the existing archery season. Did you cave for personal gain or have you been a crossbow advocate all along? Was it worth stabbing all those hunters you represented in the back?

03-Nov-17
Happy, you are way too smart for me. You got me! It was the free steaks. You just keep accepting what other people do and I'll continue taking advantage of you.

03-Nov-17
That was the only thing I asked. There must be a reason why people change their minds and vote for something they don't support. Capt, do the people in the SCI that use crossbows know you think they are lazy and are enablers?

03-Nov-17
Reggie, yes they do. We are an archery chapter. It is common knowledge thattwo types of people use crossbows. The first is the legitimate ones who physically cannot draw a vertical bow. The second group is the lazy, aided by enables such as Happy.

03-Nov-17
But the SCI lobbied to change the law to let anyone use a crossbow. So you guys, as an archery chapter, fully recognizing that you are indeed enabling people to become lazy with the crossbow, changed your minds and were for the change? That's what doesn't make any sense.

03-Nov-17
Reggie, who said we lobbied for crossbows? Don't fall into the trap of believing ignorant-go-lucky's propaganda.

03-Nov-17
I'm going off of the official hearing record posted above stating you as well as 2 others individuals from SCI appeared for the law change. Is that official record incorrect?

04-Nov-17
Captain mike, better order a larger crane. I hope the sci chapter would lobby now for a cut back of wi crossbow seasons unless the hunter is disabled or over 65. Can we count on you to help dig us out of our hole?

04-Nov-17
Glunker, we are currently working on it. As you know, it takes either a lot of money or a lot of noise from the constituency to get lawmakers to move on anything. What was sorely lacking during the initial crossbow issue was support from the archery hunters community. Can we count on you and countless others to support this with your voices letters and calls?

04-Nov-17
Capt, where should we direct our calls and letters to?

Got any numbers or email addresses?

04-Nov-17

skookumjt's Link
I would hope everyone on this site already knows the contact information for their Legislators but here is the link to look them up.

Legislators have made it very clear that they pay little attention to groups so it is imperative that individuals reach out rather than rely on the groups they belong to.

04-Nov-17
" ignorant-go-lucky's "

More name calling Mike. SOP for you. The best thing to do now after being this exposed is to just be a man about it. You can't hide from the truth anymore or try to fabricate it as you have done often in this thread.

Reggiezpop, the Captain is not willing to answer any questions asked of him and I believe everyone knows why. I really can't believe he and his constituents were all allowed to be bought out. The last thing the Captain ever wanted was for someone to find out that he actually endorsed xbows to be used during the exact dates as the archery season. His self pats on his back for his work on this - when he actually went against his club members and all those hunters who voted against xbows, for his own personal gain - is just head shaking. What will anyone be able to believe that he writes anymore?

05-Nov-17
What to me is the best strategy is for sci, bowhunters, traditional bowhunters and bear hunters to decide to do this in unison. Get the bowhunters and any other that are not wwf members to join and get their support also. Forgot the muzzle loaders. Not sure why some organizations are not more proactive. It has worked in the past.

05-Nov-17
Forget all the political crap and divisions within organizations and governing boards. Get back to the basics and preserve real bowhunting. Have fun again, throw the advanced technology away. Join Compton's and it's real bowhunting culture, make bowhunting great again.

05-Nov-17
Happy, are you trying to attain new heights of idiocy? I cannot believe that even you are this stupid. Because I consider you to be an idiot, I will not waste any time explaining to you what happened. Those who have asked questions have gotten answers. Now, if you spent one tenth of the time trying to be productive as you have in flaunting your stupidity, had you got off your rear and gotten involved, involved, you would be aware of what happened. As it stands, you know nothing but continue to marginalize yourself. I'm just enjoying it. Carry on, fool.

05-Nov-17
Glunker, don't forget that the bear hunters led the charge with the crossbow issue.

05-Nov-17
Once again, the one and only issue is former bowhunters giving up bowhunting for an easier route called crossbow hunting. No organization, including the WBH and NRA are making hunters do that. Former bowhunters are making the choice on their own. Hunters are to blame, not crossbow companies, big money (whatever that means), the WBH, or anything else. Bowhunters had a choice, they chose to quit bowhunting and become users, teachers and mentors of the crossbow. As bowhunters choose to quit,....... bowhunting and it's culture is in serious decline.

05-Nov-17
MO, you are absolutely correct. Even we, on this board, are partially to blame as we accept closet crossbow users and enablers. That does not make most of us Happy.

05-Nov-17
In the mid 60s Bear Archery invited the gun hunters in . The pitch was to become a 2 season hunter . It was a great idea , Fred had no idea what was coming . In the 60s there was no question what a bow was. It's limitations were excepted because people had no choice. If they wanted to hunt longer or hunt 2 seasons a bow that was pulled by putting your fingers on the string was your only option . In 2017 the technology party is full on . Hunters can not help themselves . They are dancing wildly around the camp fire celebrating "Their Hunt" . I think we are seeing just the tip of what a hunt and its weapons will be . So far the industry is stuck on triggers and being cocked ready to fire at all times . It's funny all of this to shoot at a deer , no claws , no fangs just a deer LOL

06-Nov-17
Bear hunters can continue to support crossbows on a any weapon season but it would be fabulous to have them join with other groups to limit the effect crossbows are having on local archery clubs and taking bucks away from gun hunters.

06-Nov-17
Wait!!! If you read posts from months and years ago, crossbows were not going to have an effect on anything ( just compounders killing the same number of deer another way) and new recruits to hunting galore. Clubs were alive and well, bowhunting was growing and always going to be safe. Shoot what you want, be happy. What happened to all those really stupid words of wisdom?

06-Nov-17
What bucks are they taking away from from gun hunters? Look at the numbers, gun harvest of bucks has increased every year since crossbows were given basically full inclusion.

I posted this in a previous thread: Kill numbers, the gun/buck kill has been up every year since crossbows were allowed. Just last year the buck gun kill increased 5,429 with 13,303 less gun hunters than 2015. So to say that crossbows have had an impact on gun hunters, the numbers after two and three years don't prove what you are saying.

If the numbers had shown a decline, WBH would have been all over the state, using those numbers as propaganda to shorten the season. Many of those crossbow hunters are also gun hunters. Those guys like getting a chance at hunting the rut. Why is it that you people that claim crossbows damage the buck population aren't claiming the same for the youth hunt. In two days, the youth hunt claimed almost 3200 antlered deer. It took over a month for crossbows to claim that many. Now add in the no age requirement to hunt deer and that number will increase with all the new kids behind the gun. Where is the complaining over this? Maybe the youth hunter should be allowed to participate in the program for two years only. Think of the bucks saved.

Since when is the State of WI responsible for archery clubs membership? Archery Clubs have been on the decline before Crossbows were given inclusion. If a club fails, it is the club (both members and the board) that owns the reason for failure. Talking of Archery Clubs around the state, I see Blackhawk Bowhunters in Verona raffled off a crossbow, they even posted a picture of it on their FB page. Does that make sense?

06-Nov-17

sharpspur@home's Link
Check this out at Blackhawk Bowhunters

06-Nov-17
In today's world, an archery club is much different than a bowhunting club for bowhunters. Archery includes crossbows and crossbow hunters as well as bows and bowhunters. A bowhunting club only includes bowhunters who hunt with bows. Join Compton Bowhunters today.

And yes, many bowhunting clubs were in decline before the crossbow revolution, they just would not admit it.

06-Nov-17
Well, if it's mostly gun hunters using them to get a crack at the rut, the tag should be the gun tag, not an archery tag. They can take it with the x-gun or rifle plus shortening the season.

08-Nov-17
This will likely be the year that xbow harvest outpaces vbow harvest. As of today the xbow leads by about 350 overall and over 1000 in the buck category. Many thought it would take longer for this inversion to happen.

08-Nov-17
The crossbow revolution is here and is unstoppable. Bowhunting will continue to decline until only a few thousand bowhunters are left.

08-Nov-17
well Missouri I have to agree with you on that statement. Wisconsin said they would have a 3 year study, and than make adjustments, if needed. I never believed that, it was a smoke screen, our NRB does not have the go nads to do anything like that......

That genie is out of the bottle, and its too bad,,,, no healthy hunter from 14 to 64 should be allowed one, if we are to have a archery season,,,, They are that effective, and wish Wisconsin leaders would wake up.......

At one time, they had it right, it was called the lesser weapon rule, where they could be allowed any time a firearm was legal,,,,,than all the whiners got involved,,,,,,,,

Wisconsin is going to see some more hard numbers this year,,,, time to give the unrestricted crossbow users, their own season, ,,,,,, Hopefully it will happen.....

You can say all you want about the compound, but not everyone is Levi Morgan, and it takes practice to be good with it, and because you have to pull it back, regardless of let off, it still is a weapon you need to make a commitment too..... Too those who say, well I do not need to practice, pick up the weapon, 2 weeks out and go, are usually poor hunters, or those who wounding rate is high, or just do not care,,,,,

08-Nov-17
I wonder how long the western states will resist the revolution?

08-Nov-17
Not many, if any, will resist the crossbow revolution in the end. Not legal in Montana yet. Crossbows will be real elk and mule deer slayers when they are legal, especially in farm country where stand and drive by shooting is the norm.

08-Nov-17
Wyoming has no issues with them, but Wyoming does not have the hunter numbers that Wisconsin has,,,,,, In looking at other states, Kentucky had done it right......

08-Nov-17
Kentucky recently changed their crossbow law in response to the excessive crossbow harvest.

09-Nov-17

09-Nov-17

09-Nov-17

09-Nov-17
All I will add is this was only made possible by keeping crossbows from being fully included in the archery season. ;)

09-Nov-17
how about paragraph

09-Nov-17
Well Ron, forget the WCC, just get Kleefish on your side, and he will have it done quickly......

As far as old guys on the WCC,,,, what do they care, if they are over 65 they can use them....

I remember the baloney, with all the therefores and other acronyms I had to use, to write a resolution, to be able to cut up a deer..... Well you thought those WCC board guys were gut shot,,,,,, Took way too long, to get if finally passed..... I went to the WCC meeting at the time, and respectfully addressed the committee, and told them they were out of touch with hard core hunters.......

I also think our NRB, is a lot better now, than what use to be on it,,,,,, the WCC well that process is too slow

09-Nov-17
One other thing,,,, I hope I am wrong, but I do not see a change coming..... too much whining will start, and the politicians will make the decisions..... I believe that deer mgt should always be, what is good for the herd, not political science, on what is good for Mr. Smith.......

Last night I watched Deer Hunting 2017, by Dan Small..... Tom Hauge, who retired, but my gut said, he was shown the door, you could hear the frustration in his voice, on present day deer mgt, disconcern for cwd, etc,,,,,,,

Now I do not know him, but have followed him as he was involved with the DNR, the guy was no dummy, but in the end, a politician knew more.......

No I do not see a limited crossbow season coming, wish it would, hope I am wrong, but I do not see it..........................

12-Nov-17
Previous poster: "...and do not seek more tech advantages ..." & "throw the advanced technology away"

But who is to say precisely where such a line is to be drawn or whether it is even appropriate to draw? and why?

Should we go back to the native american ways? Self bows from local materials you gather and process yourself without tools? On foot.

Guess you can't drive to that hunting land, nor use that climbing stand. Hope you don't have corrected vision nor any modern medical advantages! Does this somehow magically apply to the weapon system only?

Don't pull out that cell phone to call your bud to help recover. And don't home base from that comfy home. This list could go on forever.

Seems what gets lost in the fog is 'legal or not'. Wisconsin deciders currently ( and far as I can tell always ) manage around population. Nothing about age/sex structure, trophy, or weapon systems. Go figger. Right now peeps in charge are influenced by $/special (non hunter) interests mostly aimed at herd reduction. Regardless of weapon system method used to fill your tag, the smart money is on deer management 101 as regards your own personal local future.

The only time any weapon is a threat is when the herd population is too low. Well, that doesn't happen much in WI (according to those managing herd size) and can be countered by tag limitations. Besides, if anyone thinks any particular weapon is disenfranchising their hunt they have to come to the realization that they themselves have that same opportunity. Everyone makes their own choice but not for someone else.

When would a special Xbow season be? The rut? After muzzle-loader? If weapon systems have relevance to management shouldn't they occur in the order of effectiveness? But we could never forgo the traditional firearm season timing - so that will never happen.

Effectiveness order order would have to be Stick bow, Vbow, Xbow, Muzz, then all Firearms. Keeping the trad 9 day week that puts Xbow and Muzz right in the rut. If this were the new schedule Xbow would probably last out till the January end and maybe even Muzzleloader could as well. We already have the antler-less only hunts and holiday hunt stuff - what difference would it make what weapons are used? Herd management is accomplished by tag issuance. Weapon type is almost irrelevant.

We already allow sophisticated Muzzleloaders, perhaps there should be a traditional flash pan hunt as well? Concurrent with Xbow or after?

DNR wants to get the job done. Legislators(majority R's)/Walker want to have more fun and reduce restrictions. Adding weapon choices and making hunting more convenient and successful for the hunter is what is currently going on. Reducing any season or weapon system is not in line with anyone making decisions. If somehow DNR limited Xbows new law would reverse that in days, assuming the gerrymandering and voter suppression remain.

12-Nov-17
It is very simple, have one deer season and use any weapon you choose to reduce the herd to management objectives. We tried the famous "two season" plan endorsed by Fred Bear and obviously hunters were too greedy and stupid to embrace the concept long term. They peed it away same as the concept of a real muzzleloader season. Now hunters bring on the diaper brigade to attempt to solve what adults could not.

13-Nov-17
"Guess you can't drive to that hunting land, nor use that climbing stand. Hope you don't have corrected vision nor any modern medical advantages! Does this somehow magically apply to the weapon system only?"

Short answer: yes!

13-Nov-17
2021 - Wisconsin passes bill to allow "indirect fire" deer season

The new bill will allow the hunters that have difficulty visually confirming deer presence to actively engage deer that are behind cover or hillsides, increasing their chances for a successful harvest. The intentions of this bill are to entice new crowds into joining in the whitetail hunting sport. Last years 2020 bill allowing the use of belt-fed machine guns did not meet the expectations of 100% of the Wisconsin community.

*Regulations

-Max mortar round size: North of Interstate 94, 107mm, South of Interstate 94, 81mm

-High explosive rounds only, as incendiary rounds pose a risk for forest fires

-A sponge wring-out shall be submitted to Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources for zones that have tested positive for CWD

-Firing mortars from roadways or any moving vehicle is prohibited

-Mortarman shall use discretion in ensuring an ethical kill barrage before dropping their rounds

14-Nov-17

CaptMike's embedded Photo
CaptMike's embedded Photo
This makes me "happy!"

• Sitka Gear