Trebarker's embedded Photo
Property #1
Property #1
Up and coming buck. Notice his tine tips are broke off
Up and coming buck. Notice his tine tips are broke off
Had thought about sitting out this year, not doing a hunt thread, but decided to give it another go after sito tagged out early on his buck and won't be keeping the website's hit count up this season :)

I am hunting family land only in 2017 unless the opportunity comes up to go out West with a friend. Both properties I will be hunting are very small acreages. Both properties are merely travel lanes between bedding areas and feed fields. The #1 property I will be hunting is 40 acres, 2 acres of it brome, 35 acres of creek bottom farm land, and 3 acres of hard wood timber along a small creek.

The #2 property is 40 acres, 30 of it is upland farm ground, 10 of it is prairie hay with a wooded slough running thru it. I have had trail cameras up for over a year now on property #1 and have scouted it regularly all summer. My scouting efforts have shown me little to get excited about this season. I have not scouted the #2 property at all this year.

It has again been a dry summer this year like the previous 4-5 years. Both properties had soybeans planted this year, both fields have been harvested. I have only had two mature bucks show up on my trail cameras since last fall. I have had easily 1/5th of the pictures that I normally get on them since last season. I have had a bunch of coyote pictures this year.

30-Oct-17
Thursday the 26th was my first day to hunt this season. I wasn't going to hunt at all until my vacation starts. ( a week from this coming Friday at 3pm when I get off work ).

I decided to go at the last minute Thursday evening. I rushed to gather my gear, and didn't arrive at site until just about 5pm. You know what happens when you have to rush, things don't go well, they didn't. I saw deer as soon as I pulled in the drive. I went a different route to my desired stand, thru a part of the timber I rarely step foot in, hoping not to spook the deer away from my stand. Less than 1/8th of a mile from my truck, and 30 feet from stand #4, I walked up on $15k worth of stolen property that had been there since last June. The thief had dumped the Polaris Ranger 700 on our property then ran on foot to get away from the Police that were after him. Needless to say, once my truck, two Sheriff's patrol vehicles, a large landoll flatbed wrecker as well as the landowner's car had driven in and out of the there, my chances of seeing anything was slim to none so I went back home after the side by side was hauled off to the LEO impoundment lot.

31-Oct-17

NNE View from Stand #4
NNE View from Stand #4
Looking NNW from Stand #4
Looking NNW from Stand #4
Hoot Owls and Turkeys busy at 4:31
Hoot Owls and Turkeys busy at 4:31
10-30-2017- 48f at 4pm with NNW winds gusting up to 25-30mph. Hunted on #1 Property.

Took a few pictures once arriving at and settling into what my daughter and I call stand #4. This stand site has a ladder stand, it is located towards the SW corner of the property. The wind made me decide to go to this site, was the only stand where the wind would be in my face.

At 4:30 the hoot owls started their wake up calls, I saw one owl fly down out of his roost tree not far from my stand. Minutes later I saw a flock of turkeys enter the main field North of me, they came out thru a crossing from a small piece of ground that is enclosed by trees. I have three stands set up around that enclosed field. The turkeys made their way my direction along the timber edge. Twenty minutes later, another flock entered the field on the Northside from a neighboring property. When they spotted each other they met halfway clucking and purring, a few sparred each other. I took a little video but it didn't turn out well, wind noise in the mic. The first flock of turkeys stayed out in the field browsing beans right up to dark, then flew up to their roost tree directly from where they were eating.

At 6pm I spotted six does coming out of the timber up by what we call stand #3. There are two bedding areas in that timber, one straight North of me, and one NNW of stand #3. The does browsed their way East along the hedgerow and crossed over onto a neighboring property towards the pond located there.

At 6:20pm I saw a deer working a licking branch 30-40 yards past where the does had crossed. I tried to get a picture of him but it didn't take as it getting darker out. All of the deer followed the hedgerow to the East. The turkeys flew up to their roost at 6:45. I was back at my truck at 7p, it was a very chilly 44f with strong West winds that made it feel much colder.

31-Oct-17

Turkeys coming out on North end by Stand #3
Turkeys coming out on North end by Stand #3
They kept coming, there were 50-70 turkeys in field at one time towards the end of the evening
They kept coming, there were 50-70 turkeys in field at one time towards the end of the evening
Turkeys by the area where Stand #2 is located
Turkeys by the area where Stand #2 is located

31-Oct-17

Does and fawns entering the main field at around 6pm
Does and fawns entering the main field at around 6pm
Deer browsing their way East towards the neighboring property to have a drink at the pond
Deer browsing their way East towards the neighboring property to have a drink at the pond
You can see the green grass on the pond dam in this picture
You can see the green grass on the pond dam in this picture

31-Oct-17

Turkeys still browsing as sun sets
Turkeys still browsing as sun sets
Does coming back out into main field after getting a drink at the pond
Does coming back out into main field after getting a drink at the pond
The last picture I was able to get before the darkness took over. These deer are easily 1/4 mile away from my stand, pushing the limits of my little point and shoot camera
The last picture I was able to get before the darkness took over. These deer are easily 1/4 mile away from my stand, pushing the limits of my little point and shoot camera

31-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing again this year!

31-Oct-17
Randy: if you find any more used Rangers I might be in the market:) A quarter mile across 40 acres?

31-Oct-17
Dave- yep, 1320'=1/4 mile, is the depth of my 20 acre home place.

I told the deputies that came for it, to tell the owner I would buy it from their insurance company. I wanted the windshield, tires and wheels, and the bed hoist.

31-Oct-17
Randy why have you not named any of these deer? If you want to be relevant you better start naming them. Just sayin.

31-Oct-17
Good luck.

31-Oct-17

Arriving late
Arriving late
Little tree damage by the road
Little tree damage by the road
Looking SE from stand #3
Looking SE from stand #3
Looking West at the enclosed field from Stand#3
Looking West at the enclosed field from Stand#3
10-31-2017- 37f with snow flurries at 4pm, hunted Property #1 from Stand#3.

Didn't get out to the woods as early as I should have, the deer were really active this afternoon. Has been a year or two since we have had snow fall on Halloween. Last year I was cussing ticks, gnats and mosquitoes.

I arrived at 4pm, parked in a different location again because of the wind. The wind was out of the SSE, gusting up to 15 mph at times. I decided to hunt out of Stand #3 based off what I saw last night on my hunt. Right by where I parked, there were small trees all tore up by a small buck. On my walk along the hedgerow, I saw numerous lick branches but not a single scrape. I no more than got settled into my stand when I saw a doe coming from the East following the same route I had walked in on. She stopped about 30 yards East of me, crossed the fence to the North, going into the neighbor's woodlot.

At 4:35, I saw two doe fawns enter the enclosed field to my West. As soon as they entered the field, a small buck came out of the timber from the South grunting and trotting their way. The little buck chased one, then turned and started chasing the other one trying to corral both of them. This went on for some time. He would go work over some little trees every once in awhile, then tear out chasing after one of the little girls when they got too close to the field edge.

At 5pm, one of the little does came my direction, circled around behind me and headed NE. I last saw her in the timber lot headed East towards the neighbor's pond. The 2nd doe fawn headed NW back towards the bedding area behind another pond that is located West of where I sat tonight. The little buck was last seen in the SW side of the enclosed field.

The next hour was pretty uneventful. At 5:55 the small doe came back thru the timber from the East, circled around North of me, then stopped and looked my way. I was afraid she had winded me, if she did she never flagged nor sounded the alarm, she just stood with her ears perked up staring my way. I saw more does entering the enclosed field, and heard a very distinct deeper grunt, it was not the dink buck. As I watched the enclosed field, I heard the leaves crunching underneath me. The small doe walked right below me, then entered the main field off to my left.

At 6pm, it was rush hour. The two does from the enclosed field crossed over into the main field. At 6:05 I got to see the buck I had heard grunting, a young up and coming 8pt. he was grunting and snorting at the three does. The little doe wanted no part of him, she turned around and followed the field edge right under me, crossed back into the enclosed field, and walked out of my sight to the West. I saw another deer crossing the main field from the SE, it went to the middle of the field and began browsing. The smaller buck eventually crossed over into the main field and headed East. I again heard grunting to my right, I saw the larger older 8pt(first picture at top of thread) that had a large doe corralled over under the stand my daughter likes to hunt out of. Something was chasing deer around behind me to the NW, could hear them crashing thru the brush. I never did see them but am betting it was the small doe being harassed.

I had to stay in the stand longer than I normally would have due to the deer being around me. Very fun afternoon, the rut is about to cut loose. I find it odd I have not found a scrape yet though.

31-Oct-17

Little doe that followed my trail in
Little doe that followed my trail in
Dink buck that chased the two doe fawns
Dink buck that chased the two doe fawns
Dink and two does
Dink and two does
Little doe circling around behind me
Little doe circling around behind me

31-Oct-17

Little doe coming out of the timber lot below me
Little doe coming out of the timber lot below me
Little doe entering the main field
Little doe entering the main field
Does in the enclosed field
Does in the enclosed field
Does entering main field
Does entering main field

31-Oct-17

Healthy does, young
Healthy does, young
Young 8pt
Young 8pt
Dink
Dink
Dink, headed out to Main field, behind him is the 8pt tending an Alpha doe.
Dink, headed out to Main field, behind him is the 8pt tending an Alpha doe.

31-Oct-17

Better view of dink
Better view of dink

02-Nov-17
Decided to stay out of the woods yesterday evening and this morning, have to go back to work the next five days. I do not want to spend too much time out there before I hit it hard starting next weekend. I will go out next Tuesday afternoon weather permitting, maybe once Thursday, then from 3pm Friday to Nov 29th I will be on deercation and will be out there as much as I can. Good luck to all that are hunting.

Remember not to swerve if they run out in front of you on the roads- More people are hurt or killed swerving to miss animals in the road when they lose control of their vehicles.

02-Nov-17
No chance to swerve last night. Robin and I were returning from dinner and it was dark and foggy when a large doe running full speed slams into the driver's side of my RAV4. I had less than a second of warning. Pushed the vehicle over a few feet, no one was injured thankfully.

02-Nov-17
Glad no one was injured. You’re safer not swerving and hitting a deer head on. I realize you weren’t going to hit this one head on anyway.

07-Nov-17
Finally back in the stand after a long five day stretch of nightshift. I am in stand #3 its 46f with fairly strong NNE wind. Saw a new big scrape under stand #4 on my way in, thought about climbing up and hunting there but the wind was wrong for it. Already had a forky cruise thru the enclosed field West of me, hope his grandpa is on the move too.

07-Nov-17
Watching from AR...stick somethin!

07-Nov-17
Good luck Randy

07-Nov-17
Fun hunt, had deer under and in front of me all afternoon, didn't have the opportunity to post updates because I was being looked for by the does. The wind changed between 4 and 5, they smelled me when out in the main field South of me. One doe and one doe fawn came my direction looking for me, hoping they didnt spot me. The older doe blew and stomped but she continued to raise her nose and search the air currents trying to find me. Her actions told me she didnt know where I was. All together, I had 13 does and 3 bucks to watch this evening. The bucks chased the does out in the middle of the main field right up to dark. Again they went North and East when they headed out. I put out a new trail camera before returning to the truck, aimed at the crossing from the enclosed field out into the main field. Every hunt this year, they have crossed there when leaving for the night. It should be a good spot.

07-Nov-17
Exciting hunt. I can’t wait to get back in the stand.

07-Nov-17

New scrape under stand #4
New scrape under stand #4
This scrape is just to the right of where I have had a trail camera set up for over a year now. I turned the camera towards the scrape when I checked it tonight.
This scrape is just to the right of where I have had a trail camera set up for over a year now. I turned the camera towards the scrape when I checked it tonight.
First deer of the night, a fork horn at 3:50pm
First deer of the night, a fork horn at 3:50pm
Cruising thru the enclosed field
Cruising thru the enclosed field

07-Nov-17

First of 13 different does entering the field, she came out 4:15, was joined by six more by 4:30. At 4:45 and small buck and doe fawn joined them. They all went out into the main field before 5pm
First of 13 different does entering the field, she came out 4:15, was joined by six more by 4:30. At 4:45 and small buck and doe fawn joined them. They all went out into the main field before 5pm
5pm, this buck came from the East to join the herd out in front of me. Looks like he has been doing some fighting.
5pm, this buck came from the East to join the herd out in front of me. Looks like he has been doing some fighting.
Good looking youngster, his confidence tells me that nothing bigger calls this area home right now. I hope that changes soon.
Good looking youngster, his confidence tells me that nothing bigger calls this area home right now. I hope that changes soon.
Doe when she smelled my scent when she got South of me
Doe when she smelled my scent when she got South of me

07-Nov-17

Doe looking for me and sniffing the wind
Doe looking for me and sniffing the wind
Young 8pt coming over to save me, he chased the does back out into the field from under my tree, the girls were about to bust me.
Young 8pt coming over to save me, he chased the does back out into the field from under my tree, the girls were about to bust me.
Chasing the ladies back out into the middle of the field
Chasing the ladies back out into the middle of the field
Doe catching my drifting scent again!
Doe catching my drifting scent again!

07-Nov-17

8pt under me again. I could have shot him 3-4 times tonight
8pt under me again. I could have shot him 3-4 times tonight
Herd size growing, deer were coming out from the cedar grove SE of me, from the neighboring property NE of me, and out of the NW bedding area behind Stand #2.
Herd size growing, deer were coming out from the cedar grove SE of me, from the neighboring property NE of me, and out of the NW bedding area behind Stand #2.
Buck kept looking NE, so I did too hoping to see what he had been fighting with perhaps.
Buck kept looking NE, so I did too hoping to see what he had been fighting with perhaps.
The rest of my hunt was sitting and watching the 8, forkie, and one other small buck chasing the does around the middle of the main field. This weekend and next week should be fun, the chase phase
The rest of my hunt was sitting and watching the 8, forkie, and one other small buck chasing the does around the middle of the main field. This weekend and next week should be fun, the chase phase

07-Nov-17

Using a grinding wheel to polish them????
Using a grinding wheel to polish them????
Potential makers of the scrape found tonight

07-Nov-17

Please come back!
Please come back!
Sparring action in enclosed field
Sparring action in enclosed field

08-Nov-17

Same fight
Same fight
Lip curling
Lip curling
Turkeys at South end of enclosed field
Turkeys at South end of enclosed field
Turkeys by stand #4
Turkeys by stand #4

08-Nov-17
Super cool pictures. Been archery hunting for 6 years now and still have not shot a buck. I know its shameful, but I cannot say I would have been able to pass on that 4x4 you got such good pictures of.

08-Nov-17
Thanks Shawn. No shame in shooting what you like, don't let anyone dictate which deer you should harvest, that's totally up to you.

I have shot deer like the 8pt in the past. I have shot much smaller bucks, I have shot much bigger ones too. I am at the point of my hunting career that I really don't have to fill a tag to have a successful hunt. I enjoy being out there taking photographs and watching them while getting away from everyday things and routine. Putting meat in the freezer is a bonus. Avoid making it a job, you'll enjoy the hunt much more.

A buddy of mine shot two deer this morning, a doe and a buck in the same sit. Sounds like they were moving good today. I couldn't go today due to family duties, I will be back at it tomorrow.

08-Nov-17
I heard from that "buddy" too, sounds like an awesome day afield!

08-Nov-17
Indeed Kyle, it's time to be out there for sure.

08-Nov-17
Thank you for the confidence boost. After 6 years and no dice, I said, "If I don't get a buck this year, I am calling it quits for bowhunting". I know that sounds bad, but I figure I could nature hiking and get the same results at a fraction of the cost. It is time for some results.

08-Nov-17
Dont give up on it, you will get it done. It took me three years before I shot my first. The next 9 years after I got it figured it out I had deer to cut up.

08-Nov-17
Looks like lots of action going on around you Randy. Just have to be in stand when Mr. Big decides to pay a visit. Pulling for you and enjoy following along on your hunts.

08-Nov-17
I have hunted the last 6 days evenings and mornings, usually for 3 to 4 hours per sit, today is the first day that I have seen mature bucks chasing does, I only saw it until 8 am, but they were moving. Been in tonight's sit since 2 nothing yet.

08-Nov-17

labxtreme1's embedded Photo
labxtreme1's embedded Photo
Haven't seen heavy chasing the past few days but some nice ones on their feet cruising. Caught up with this old warrior and a doe this morning. Good luck gentlemen

08-Nov-17
Following along. Love everyone’s pics.

Shawn, don’t give up. I only have 1 buck with a bow and it’s SMALL. It’s the whole experience that makes it fun.

I have Friday off, then taking leave all of next week. Can’t wait to get back out there.

08-Nov-17
Great advice from Randy. It’s your permit. Shoot what you want. I’d have shot that buck of Shane’s the first minute into the season -ancient, past its prime, kinda underwhelming to look at, underendowed, probably grouchy most of the time. Crap, Shane, you shot Kyle! :-) Congrats on a stellar day. Shawn, if you’re having fun, stick with it. It’ll happen when you quit worrying about it.

08-Nov-17
I concur Shawn, you only need to worry about you...enjoy the ride brother

08-Nov-17
Sent you a message Shawn.

09-Nov-17
Set up in stand #3 for my first morning hunt of the season. Am not a big fan of leaving a warm bed and going out in 26f air in the dark but its time to be out here. No wind now but they say it will be here later.

09-Nov-17
Lots of action this morning, seeing a lot of deer, just picked the wrong stand to sit in as it has all taken place by #1-4 stands. All of the deer have come thru from the South and SE and have went by #4 stand and the scrape. The 8pt from Tues evening came by #1 and worked the licking branch to my West before heading back into the bedding area to my North. I have seen about 15 does so far and 3 bucks. The sun is up making me remember how hard it is to see to the East in the morning from #3. Not seeing rut like actions from the does, the bucks are seeking but not aggressively

09-Nov-17
Just watched a stud buck, mature 8 pt, cross the enclosed field headed South. I grunted at him but he ignored it continuing South under stand#1. Lots of geese flying over this morning. Finally saw my first squirrel too, was beginning to think they had died off as I hadn't seen one yet.

09-Nov-17
Keep at it!

09-Nov-17
A member of my work crew that is hunting in the South end of the county just texted me telling he had passed up on a decent buck, then watched a heck of a buck fight within his view. He justed texted me again telling me 3 bucks are chasing a doe around his stand, sounds like it's on down there.

09-Nov-17
What part of the state are you hunting

09-Nov-17
Eastern Central 1/3rd of State Frank.

Deer have bedded down here it seems. Going to get down at 10, check cameras and #1 stand, then come back out this afternoon and hunt from it. Haven't been in it since spring, need to make sure nothing has changed with it over the summer.

09-Nov-17
we used to bird hunt around beverly and tescot up in that area

09-Nov-17

Watching a Kansas sunrise is always a pleasure
Watching a Kansas sunrise is always a pleasure
There is a doe out in the main field in front of me, avoided trying to photograph her as my camera has laser aiming that would have spot lighted me.
There is a doe out in the main field in front of me, avoided trying to photograph her as my camera has laser aiming that would have spot lighted me.
Getting brighter out, doe out in the middle of the field
Getting brighter out, doe out in the middle of the field

09-Nov-17

1st buck that I thought was the young 8pt
1st buck that I thought was the young 8pt
Little older than he looked from 30 yards away, picture is grainy due to light
Little older than he looked from 30 yards away, picture is grainy due to light
Finished working over licking branch and headed NE towards me. He turned and went North towards the bedding area
Finished working over licking branch and headed NE towards me. He turned and went North towards the bedding area
First doe still out feeding on beans in the middle of the main field at 6:45am
First doe still out feeding on beans in the middle of the main field at 6:45am
What I thought was the young 8pt at 6:45am turned out to be a much better buck when I reviewed my pictures I took of him.

09-Nov-17

Does and a small buck
Does and a small buck
Deer heading West towards Stand #4
Deer heading West towards Stand #4
This buck came out of the cedar grove at 7:25am, limping along behind the direction the does had went. He was favoring a front leg.
This buck came out of the cedar grove at 7:25am, limping along behind the direction the does had went. He was favoring a front leg.
At 6:50 am, I saw does enter the field over behind the cedar grove, earlier I had a doe and doe fawn cross the field in front of me on the run from the South. The pair ran about 35 yards East of me and headed into the timber in the direction of the NE bedding area behind the neighbor's pond. At 6:55am, the turkeys started waking up deep in the timber to my West. Didn't really notice many birds at sunrise, pretty still and quiet morning.

09-Nov-17

Limping buck headed West towards #4 stand. You can see where I parked my truck in this picture too
Limping buck headed West towards #4 stand. You can see where I parked my truck in this picture too
Buck #3 of the morning. He too came from the East just before 8am. He was in a hurry to get to cover.
Buck #3 of the morning. He too came from the East just before 8am. He was in a hurry to get to cover.
Nice young buck 3-4 yr old I'd guess
Nice young buck 3-4 yr old I'd guess
The herd of does had went towards Stand#4 and disappeared in the timber headed South. At 7:30am, I saw four of them return to the field out in front of that stand. Initially I had planned to hunt out #4 after checking the weather forecast last night before I went to bed. It had predicted there would be a West, NW breeze at 6am this morning. When I got to the field, and didn't feel any breeze at all, I changed my mind and went to #3, after all the deer had been going by it to the East and North on my previous sits right? Logic failed again, the deer returned home from the SSE, not NNE.

09-Nov-17

Last buck seen this morning, mature deer on the prowl at 8:20am
Last buck seen this morning, mature deer on the prowl at 8:20am
Licking branch found half way between #3-#4 stands
Licking branch found half way between #3-#4 stands
Trail camera had been pushed around since I pointed it at the scrape on Tuesday.
Trail camera had been pushed around since I pointed it at the scrape on Tuesday.
Scrape had been freshened up since Tuesday
Scrape had been freshened up since Tuesday
Buck #4 came out of the timber West of me, he had been to the NW bedding area I would guess. He was a big bodied tall 8pt, possibly a 9pt.

09-Nov-17

Camera repositioned, showing the branches broken above the scrape. You are looking SW towards the direction all the deer had went to bedding earlier.
Camera repositioned, showing the branches broken above the scrape. You are looking SW towards the direction all the deer had went to bedding earlier.
New scrape being made along access road on way in.
New scrape being made along access road on way in.
New camera had 75 pictures since Tuesday. Chasing or being chased?
New camera had 75 pictures since Tuesday. Chasing or being chased?
Time stamp leads me to believe deer was running from Wile E.
Time stamp leads me to believe deer was running from Wile E.

09-Nov-17

Forky buck that I see often
Forky buck that I see often
Turkey or venison buffet
Turkey or venison buffet
Doe and fawn pair that ran across the field early this am and went right to bedding area
Doe and fawn pair that ran across the field early this am and went right to bedding area
Doe checking out scents at scrape
Doe checking out scents at scrape

09-Nov-17

Scrape checker
Scrape checker
Scrape inspector
Scrape inspector
Taking in the aroma and making his mark
Taking in the aroma and making his mark
Roamer
Roamer

09-Nov-17

On the run
On the run
From Wile E. again I think
From Wile E. again I think
This am, camera tilted slightly, after this picture, the rest were tilted at 45 degree angle showing sky. It did not capture the 2 bucks seen this am.
This am, camera tilted slightly, after this picture, the rest were tilted at 45 degree angle showing sky. It did not capture the 2 bucks seen this am.

09-Nov-17
Back in the woods in #1 Stand a little after 2pm. It was 51f when I left the truck, but with the 10-15mph NE wind in my face it feels much cooler. This stand is above the intersection of multiple trails and above a bowl within the timber that makes you feel like you are 30 ft off the ground. I no more than pulled my bow up and heard crashing to the West. Two does came running along the opposite creek bank I am close to. One went over the bank, the other stopped and looked back SW. We all watched that direction but nothing followed. The does went North and bedded down about 50 yards NW of me.

09-Nov-17
Great pictures again this year, wonder if Pepe Le Pew will show up?

09-Nov-17
Have trail camera pictures of him at two cameras Kirk.

At 3:15 I saw a deer cross the creekbed Northwest of me. I couldn't see what it was but suspect it was the does from earlier. The timber is full of migrating Robins, must be rut time as that happens here every year.

09-Nov-17
I was entertained again tonight, dink bucks chasing young does around. The limping buck from this morning came thru the timber down a trail that would have taken him right below me, but when he got 10 yards from the tree he slammed the brakes on and stared right up at me. He didnt blow nor stomp, he just turned West and went over to the top of the creek bank and looked my way. He was a small busted up 8, very narrow and tines short. Eventually he went over the bank and that was the last I saw of him. Had several does and 2 other dinks out in front of me in the enclosed field. When I walked out, they were all up by the cedar grove towards my truck. They ran off to the North when they spotted me.

Eight hr shift at work in the morning, depending on how that goes, might hunt out here on the way home.

09-Nov-17

Stand #1 looking NE into enclosed field
Stand #1 looking NE into enclosed field
Trail dink buck came down and spotted me in stand
Trail dink buck came down and spotted me in stand
Doe across the creek that ran in when I first got there
Doe across the creek that ran in when I first got there
Buck that saw me is back in there
Buck that saw me is back in there

09-Nov-17

First of two does out first
First of two does out first
2nd of two does out at 4:40pm
2nd of two does out at 4:40pm
Forky that chased all the does around that came out before dark. His grunt sounded like a kid's bathtub rubber duck.
Forky that chased all the does around that came out before dark. His grunt sounded like a kid's bathtub rubber duck.
Being chased
Being chased

09-Nov-17

Had pairs of does on 3 sides of me, these two South of me
Had pairs of does on 3 sides of me, these two South of me
At 5:10, the doe and fawn from this morning came out into the enclosed field browsing beans. Forky left heading NW with his ears laid back.
At 5:10, the doe and fawn from this morning came out into the enclosed field browsing beans. Forky left heading NW with his ears laid back.
Sunset of another day, saw it rise and fall today. Good luck to everyone. Once I get thru 8hrs of work tomorrow, I will have 19 days to hunt full time.
Sunset of another day, saw it rise and fall today. Good luck to everyone. Once I get thru 8hrs of work tomorrow, I will have 19 days to hunt full time.

10-Nov-17
Off work and in the tree by 3pm. It's 46f with a 10-15mph wind out of the SE. I am in stand #3 because of the wind. There are two new scrapes along the field edge East of me seen on the walk in.

My job doesn't exist until the 30th, time to recharge my batteries.

10-Nov-17
I could do without the wind, wears on a guy after awhile. It was blowing hard enough, a dead branch fell out of tree East of me. It about made me launch out of my stand because I was looking the other way concentrating on what was moving in the woods over by #2 stand. The noise startled me.

Slow night. It was 5pm before a doe fawn stepped out of the timber into view. At 5:10 another doe fawn stepped out of the timber lot to my East. At 5:20, I saw two deer running thru the timber lot NE of me, they never did come out into the bean field.

That was the extent of my afternoon, I won't bother with pictures tonight as you have already seen the little girls if you are following this thread.

11-Nov-17
Set up in stand #4, it's 46f with a 10mph SSE wind. I got within 10yds of a buck on my walk in before he snorted and bound off to the West crossing the creek. Neither of us saw each other until we were close. Looked big bodied, could see his horns were polished but still dark enough I couldn't tell details about him. Not a good start but man what a rush with the dose of adrenaline when not fully awake yet.

11-Nov-17
At 7:03, a single deer came from the East thru the middle of the main field heading towards the cedar grove that is straight to my East.

11-Nov-17
At 7:15 another single deer came from the East, it also came thru the middle of the field but walked along the West side of the cedar grove, straight towards my truck! He had an obvious limp, was favoring a front leg.

11-Nov-17
At 8:05, light rain began falling. At 8:10, six does and the limping buck appeared East of me along the cedar grove. The does browsed along the edge of the cedars while the buck stood watch 20 yards closer to me. They ate/walked their way to the NW corner of the cedars. One by one 3 does ran across the middle of the field stopping half way across to look around. Each one of them headed across the crossing into the enclosed field and the NW bedding area. Two does and the limper buck went North into the timber lot towards the NE bedding area at 8:40. At 8:45 the final doe went across the field following the first 3 does' path.

11-Nov-17
At 9:15 I saw a deer headed South on the opposite side of the creek I am near. The rain came down pretty good about 9:30. Going to get down here in a bit and change the cards in the cameras. Will need to wash and dry my camo before coming out this afternoon, they are damp and cold.

11-Nov-17

Not so concerned now knowing the buck I walked into this morning was a dink
Not so concerned now knowing the buck I walked into this morning was a dink
The limping buck coming in from the East.
The limping buck coming in from the East.
As he was crossing from the main field going across the ditch crossing that I walk in on. He is 30 yards from my truck in this picture headed right towards it
As he was crossing from the main field going across the ditch crossing that I walk in on. He is 30 yards from my truck in this picture headed right towards it
Five of the six does
Five of the six does

11-Nov-17

Buck standing guard over the ladies. He was favoring his right front leg
Buck standing guard over the ladies. He was favoring his right front leg
Does feeding out to the NW corner of the cedar grove
Does feeding out to the NW corner of the cedar grove
1st doe to run across the main field headed to the bedding area.
1st doe to run across the main field headed to the bedding area.
Each of them stopped mid field to look back the way they came from
Each of them stopped mid field to look back the way they came from

11-Nov-17

Buck herding does North
Buck herding does North
Final doe making her cross field scramble heading to the NW bedding area.
Final doe making her cross field scramble heading to the NW bedding area.
Nice visitor to the scrape I sat over this morning
Nice visitor to the scrape I sat over this morning
Wile E and his two comrades were prowling around it around midnight last night
Wile E and his two comrades were prowling around it around midnight last night

11-Nov-17

Nice deer up under stand #1 at 11:18pm last night
Nice deer up under stand #1 at 11:18pm last night
Nice 10+ pt with a lady at 3:44am this morning
Nice 10+ pt with a lady at 3:44am this morning
This buck was walking NW across the crossing into the enclosed field right after I walked out Thursday evening
This buck was walking NW across the crossing into the enclosed field right after I walked out Thursday evening
Wishing the camera had been a tad quicker to snap this picture, looks pretty tall
Wishing the camera had been a tad quicker to snap this picture, looks pretty tall

11-Nov-17

Pepe for you Titan
Pepe for you Titan
Only caught one of the three does his morning
Only caught one of the three does his morning

11-Nov-17

Trebarker's Link
Video of the limping buck cutting two of the does off and herding them North.

11-Nov-17

Single doe at 4:30pm
Single doe at 4:30pm
Was back at the property in dry, clean, warm clothes by 2:30. By 2:40 pm, I was wet and muddy from my walk in, had to dig a 2-3" layer of mud and leaves off my boots before even thinking about climbing up into Stand#3. It hadn't rained much, but as dry as it has been there wasn't a lack of dust on the field to quickly become slime. A steady mist was falling on the walk in, by the time I got to the tree it was raining. There are two conditions I don't much care for while in the stand, cold and rain. It was a long afternoon.

I had always heard "Oh the deer will really be moving with the weather change" or "a little rain or light mist, the deer will move earlier and all day!" BS! Either the deer here hadn't been taught those characteristics, or someone is full of it!

I didn't see a deer until 4:30pm this afternoon. She came out of the cedar grove along the Northside of it. She grazed around the main field just 5-10ft out of the cedars. She headed East about 4:50. At 5:10, the doe and her fawn showed up West of me in the enclosed field. I looked to my left and saw a doe coming into the field out of the timber lot at the same time. A short time later 4 more does came out of the timber to my left, the 6 does from this am. They all grazed on beans out in front of me. I heard the neighboring landowner's dog raising a ruckus SE of me at 5:25, the Saint Bernard male was barking very aggressively. At 5:30 I saw a large bodied deer running towards the does from the South, the dog shut about the same time. It was a nice buck, who started chasing Mama doe around. When they started East, I grunted at him. The buck turned and headed for the closest scrape that I reported seeing yesterday just East of me in Stand#3. He went into the timber lot, I'm guessing trying to see or wind me. I never saw him again, but I heard him blow loud and clear when I got down and started out to the field edge.

I only took one picture tonight, of the first doe, didn't want the camera getting wetter outside of the wet pants pocket it was kept in. After getting busted twice today, I'm going to stay home in the morning and wait to go out tomorrow afternoon

12-Nov-17
Set up in Stand#3 at 2pm, was 46f with little to no wind when I walked in. A covey of quail flushed up halfway down the hedgerow. The neighbor who owns the pond East and North of this stand contacted me at 11:50 this morning to tell me he had a large buck chasing a doe around his yard just then, that they had ran down the hedgerow between our properties towards our timber. He said they were running really fast.

The farmer is working his field up West across the creek, I did not have any mud on my boots walking in, amazing how quick yesterday's rain soaked in.

Have not seen nor heard any deer activity yet. There are a bunch of robins, woodpeckers and owls carrying on though.

12-Nov-17
Halfway thru this hunt, have not seen nor heard anything remotely resembling the chase phase. Is very quiet and still around me the last hour after the farmer finished working the field West of me. Anyone who has been in the woods during the chase phase has heard the commotion from does running around at Mach 1 with bucks grunting in tow. The only thing I've heard has been neighbors talking, and a couple of cars honking at something on nearby roads. Hope that changes in the next 1.5hrs.

12-Nov-17

Hundreds of migrating robins make for a noisy sit
Hundreds of migrating robins make for a noisy sit
At 4:35pm, two doe fawns walked under my tree coming from the direction of the NE bedding area. I did not hear them until they were right underneath me, still baffles me considering how quiet it had become. The first fawn went straight out into the enclosed field, she was limping on her right rear leg. I have some video of it that shows her right rear knee joint was boogered up pretty bad. I could not see that from the tree. The second fawn browsed the brush before entering the field, she walked right into my scent drift and started stomping and looking for me. She never blew nor flagged, just stomped and sniffed the air trying to find me. She finally gave up and went South and West out of sight. I turned and looked to my left and there was a doe out in the main field East of me.

At 5:05, and at 5:10, two more does entered the main field, eating their way out into the middle of the field where they stayed until dark. They were very nervous, kept looking to the SW and towards the neighbor's pond to the North. Everytime they looked, I looked the same way hoping to see a buck coming out to meet them.

At 5:12, I heard grunting to my right, I turned to see a dink buck come out to chase the fawn with the good nose back to the NW, they disappeared into the timber.

At 5:25 a third doe exited the timber lot to my left, she too headed out into the middle of the field with the other does. She was very worried about what she was seeing down by Stand #4. I never did see any movement down that way.

At 5:30, the 2nd fawn that had been chased off, suddenly appeared right below me, at the base of my tree, again without a sound. She exited the timber out into the main field, using the path that I made into my stand as her exit point. Guess I didn't stink that bad to her.

I stayed in the stand until 5:45, it was very dark by that point. I changed out the memory cards in two of my cameras hoping to see the deer that was reported to me around noon today.

12-Nov-17

First doe fawn with bad leg
First doe fawn with bad leg
Her hip may be messed up too
Her hip may be messed up too
Second doe fawn
Second doe fawn
3rd deer out East of me thru the locust thorns
3rd deer out East of me thru the locust thorns

12-Nov-17
Keep after it! I think Saturday was just a horrible day all around to be hunting. Not many deer moving at all!

12-Nov-17

Largest doe scanning from the middle of the main field
Largest doe scanning from the middle of the main field
Little buck coming out to herd the fawn away to the NW (look right in center of picture)
Little buck coming out to herd the fawn away to the NW (look right in center of picture)
I got a kick out of him looking at the camera like this. Note the time, I did not see this dink at all yesterday. He wasn't the only one I missed
I got a kick out of him looking at the camera like this. Note the time, I did not see this dink at all yesterday. He wasn't the only one I missed
Buck#1
Buck#1

12-Nov-17

Buck #2
Buck #2
Buck #3
Buck #3
Buck #4
Buck #4
Dense fog until 7am, mid 40s, and sunshine tomorrow.....We shall see.

13-Nov-17
You got some great activity there Randy, keep at it. Must be some active breeding here, we have a little button buck that has adopted our back yard and bird food . Guess momma's busy elsewhere.

13-Nov-17

8pt I passed on this am.
8pt I passed on this am.
11-13-2017- In Stand #4 at 5:55am, it was 46f with a slight SSE breeze when I left the truck. The fog did not happen here as was forecasted. The overcast skies continued.

I had planned on hunting out of #1 stand, the wind would have been ok for it, none of my stands are great for SSE winds. When I pulled up to park, I discovered that I had left my cellphone on the charger at home. The climb up into #1 is difficult, the stand itself is somewhat sketchy. I decided that without having my phone with me, I wouldn't risk taking a fall and not being able to call for help if I did. (Stand is being replaced when I finish this year!)

It was 7:25am before I saw any deer movement. A buck crossed the main field from the NE corner of the property, skirted around the cedar grove, and headed for the tree lined ditch that separates the main field from a small strip of farmland that is along the road. He started to cross the ditch halfway between me and the cedar grove. I suspect when he saw my truck parked on the access road out by the road, he detoured like he did to avoid it. I grunted at him loudly, he turned and came at a trot my direction. I stood up and gathered up the bow and got ready to draw if he actually kept coming my way. He did. As he got closer I could see that he was the young 8pt. I chose to let him walk to grow a year or two. He walked by out in front of me and continued to the NW thru the timber. I grunted a couple more times, but he didn't even look back once past me.

I got down at 9:15 am when the wind got stronger/blowing harder out of the South. I had not seen the return of the does, not one skinhead seen this am. I decided to go sit in either #3 or #2 stands and do some rattling. I changed the camera cards on my way to #3 even though I had changed two of them last evening before leaving.

At 9:25 while setting in #3 (between two bedding areas) I rattled aggressively with a set of horns I got off a young road killed 6pt back in 1997. That buck nearly took the hood and fenders off a small Ford Ranger when it hit him at highway speed. The hit was so hard I found the horns 35-40 yards beyond the point of impact in the road ditch with blood still dripping off them. I had a salvage tag for the deer, but the rest of him wasn't worth doing anything with, he was in pieces all over the truck and highway. Within a minute of rattling, I saw a buck headed my way from the NE, he was in a hurry to get there. I sat the horns down and grabbed up the bow. The buck entered the field East of me and followed the edge my way. It was the fork horn from my previous pictures. He came within 30 yards, then turned around and headed back the way he had come from.

At 9:45, I again rattled aggressively, I grunted each direction when I finished my sequence with the horns. When I looked West to grunt, there was a unicorn spike buck down below me just 10 yards from the base of my tree looking up at me. His left antler was gone. I stood still for a minute or two watching him to see how he would react. He stared straight at me, then sniffed the wind trying to figure me out. He turned North, crossed a fence, then turned back looking for me again. He started to head back towards the NW bedding area, so I grunted softly his direction. He spun around and started back my way with his ears down like he was po'd. He stopped again checking the air for scents. He turned North to leave, I shook the string to the antlers and let them "ting" against each other. He turned my way and came back about 10 yds and stopped. The last time he turned to walk away, he ignored my grunts and tickling of the antlers.

I stayed in until about 10:30 rattling and grunting occasionally. Once home, I only had 12-15 pictures from the 3 cameras, including this one taken this morning at the time I was directly above it and decided to let him walk.

13-Nov-17

Who the does were watching last evening from the middle of the field I presume
Who the does were watching last evening from the middle of the field I presume
Checking the scrape
Checking the scrape
Going to have to do some calling to get rid of these vermin
Going to have to do some calling to get rid of these vermin

14-Nov-17
Going to try a mid day hunt tomorrow. Thinking about taking a stool and doing an ambush hunt from the ground sitting amongst some cedars close to where the deer cross over to the neighboring pond. Most of the larger buck sightings and activity has been along that edge of the property. I stayed home this evening after making so much commotion changing stands and rattling there this morning.

14-Nov-17
11-14-17- Mid day hunt begins at 10:30am, it's 56f with 5-10mph South winds with mist falling. Saw a doe being chased about 3/4 mile North amongst some cattle. Hope she runs South.

14-Nov-17
Seen 3 deer so far including a doe that ran by me not 10 yards away with the fork horn hot on her tail grunting up a storm. They came from the SE, were there and gone not seen previously. I am set up in a thicket just South of the crossing into the enclosed field. I can shoot towards that crossing or to my South where there is another trail the does use frequently. Can't say the wind is in my favor, hoping the hormones over ride their other senses.

14-Nov-17
At 4:30 a buck was working the scrape East of #3, couldn't see his head gear details but he was large bodied. At 4:35 a large mature doe entered the enclosed field from the Northside. She walked SW right into my scent trail, stopped and looked my direction. She cautiously continued SW looking my way with her nose searching the air waves trying to locate me. She then walked over and looked up at Stand#1 looking for me in it. I had to laugh watching her do this, I've only hunted that stand once this year, she knows where it is. Three more does joined her, all three looked over my way. The most insulting part of being smelled..... there was a huge packrat nest between us that I could smell. All four does flagged and trotted over to the trail into the woods under Stand #2 at the NW corner of the enclosed field. I didn't see any more deer movement right up to 0darkthirty. When I stood up to walk out, I heard a commotion behind me, looked and saw a deer bounding back to the timber behind me. I made the long walk back to the truck, started removing my camo when I saw a chase going on in the neighbor's front yard under their yard light. Then when I started the truck and my headlights came on, a nice buck ran across the road 40 yards South of me, jumped the ditch and fence then stood facing the road watching me drive away. The camo is in the wash again, they are moving heavy this evening. My wife's coworker shot a buck this afternoon a few miles South of me around noon today. Don't hesitate to call or text Dustin, I would have come down to help.

14-Nov-17
Keep pushin Big Red...pullin for you!

14-Nov-17

My very first homemade tree stand, shot several deer from this back in the 80's. There used to be two other trees there, they have since fallen.
My very first homemade tree stand, shot several deer from this back in the 80's. There used to be two other trees there, they have since fallen.
First rub seen this season in this timber, right below old stand
First rub seen this season in this timber, right below old stand
Another original stand also falling apart now. Money was tight, I couldn't afford to buy new stands so I built them out of used lumber.
Another original stand also falling apart now. Money was tight, I couldn't afford to buy new stands so I built them out of used lumber.
My view of the crossing into the enclosed field. \Was sitting a little over 20 yards South of it. I had shooting lanes along both sides of the four trees in the middle.
My view of the crossing into the enclosed field. \Was sitting a little over 20 yards South of it. I had shooting lanes along both sides of the four trees in the middle.
In my indecision on where to hunt from today after not finding what I was looking for in the cedars in the hedgerow, I passed some former stand sites I had not visited lately.

14-Nov-17

Shooting lane out into the main field looking SE. I broke more branches on way out
Shooting lane out into the main field looking SE. I broke more branches on way out
Main field lane looking East
Main field lane looking East
Looking SSW towards the old stand site and trail crossing
Looking SSW towards the old stand site and trail crossing
Two does in enclosed field, showing what was between us, should have lit some incense too I guess.
Two does in enclosed field, showing what was between us, should have lit some incense too I guess.
Checked the weather forecast just now (https://www.wunderground.com/) (love the 10day forecast feature for checking temps, wind speed and direction) and it looks like the next two mornings I will be sitting in Stand#4 and the next 2 afternoons will be Stand #3.

14-Nov-17
Thanks Randy. Will do. I hadn't seen any activity the night before so I thought maybe they were moving midday. He came in with a doe and her baby and then he left them and walked by me. I've only hunted about 5 or 6 times this season, but I've seen decent young bucks everytime except for last night. The coyotes are ridiculous out there though. I wouldn't want to leave a deer overnight.

15-Nov-17
11-15-17- Back in Stand #4 at 5:55am, it was 52f with a fairly strong NNW wind that makes it feel much cooler. Could see the new moon and stars this morning and lightning off in the East. I woke to rain sometime in the night but didn't look at the clock to see what time it was going on. Looking forward to sunshine today finally. So far the only movement I've seen has been an opposum that waddled across out in front of me.

15-Nov-17
Been following the hunt for a couple weeks. Great job. I'm jealous. Can only get in the woods for a day or two at a time. This morning looks beautiful for a sit. Good luck

15-Nov-17
Thanks Justin, I save vacation back for it every year.

At 7:06 8 deer came out into the main field thru the hedgerow along the Northside. At 7:10 the forky appeared out of the timber 40 yards North of me, he was on a mission or getting away from somebody, walked without hesitation out and around my location, continued SE across the big ditch, across the outer field and road continuing South thru another hedge row onto a neighboring property. When I stopped watching him and turned back around, the deer out in the main field were gone, have no idea where they went.

15-Nov-17

Moon when I first arrived
Moon when I first arrived
Does along hedgerow
Does along hedgerow
Largest of the does out front
Largest of the does out front
Think this picture tells where they went when they left the field, other does are West of this group still browsing the left over beans
Think this picture tells where they went when they left the field, other does are West of this group still browsing the left over beans
The rest of the morning was uneventful. The wind kept increasing, the weatherman said this afternoon that it will increase more. Checked the cameras before heading out, they tell the same story. Only about 20 pictures total in 2 days from 3 cameras.

15-Nov-17

Forky coming my way
Forky coming my way
Forky passing thru shooting lane
Forky passing thru shooting lane
Does still in field
Does still in field

15-Nov-17

Forky below me before crossing drainage ditch
Forky below me before crossing drainage ditch
All deer activity was right as the Sun rose in the East
All deer activity was right as the Sun rose in the East
Does gone, but where?
Does gone, but where?

15-Nov-17

Doe leaving her perfumes on scrape yesterday morning
Doe leaving her perfumes on scrape yesterday morning
Cruiser, very probable this was the buck that crossed the road in front of my truck last night
Cruiser, very probable this was the buck that crossed the road in front of my truck last night
Forky this am
Forky this am
Early morning cruiser headed towards the NW bedding area
Early morning cruiser headed towards the NW bedding area

15-Nov-17

Doe at crossing of enclosed field