Moons22 27-Nov-17
BC 27-Nov-17
Cp550022 28-Nov-17
Moons22 29-Nov-17
Will 29-Nov-17
Cp550022 30-Nov-17
Dthfrmabove 30-Nov-17
31-Oct-17
I`m going to the Rabbit Hill Rd orientation Thursday . Anyone else going. Did anyone get to the Boston one. Anything to share about the hunts past? Any posts will be appreciated.

31-Oct-17
I was at Westborough last Thursday. Just looking around the room I was horrified. Some of the questions asked horrified me even more. I will be wearing lots of orange.

I lucked out and met 3 guys that definitely know what they are doing. Real good people. We will be teaming up to tackle this place. We are all second week, zone 1.

They put a huge emphasis on the fact that "we need to kill lots of deer this year". They are threatening to end the hunt and bring in sharp shooters. I suggested they get rid of the random lottery and maybe interview people to be selected in the hunt.....

31-Oct-17
Kill lots of deer ?? They've killed 60+ in Fowl Meadow in the last two years !! I hunt bordering property and trust me they've put a huge dent in the deer numbers. Hopefully they're going to be paying the sharpshooters by the deer because they don't have the numbers in there they think they do anymore !! The quality of the animals has gotten much better but the numbers are WAY down .

31-Oct-17
Thanks for posting up. I have heard some horror stories too . I’m going in the archery group so I’ll post up for everyone before shotgun groups get in there.

31-Oct-17
I think your average hunter is a guy who buys a shotgun and license and goes and walks in the woods,.. That was sorta like me 25 years ago,.. I am still a hack but I am learning much! Back then no one taught me,.. ya know you would read a book or something back then. Thats all,.. good to go,.. now get in the woods,. LOL

Folks on this forum and what they learn are an extreme minority,.. and do not represent your average hunter..

Just my opinion,.. so ya, your average hunter should scare most of us! :)

31-Oct-17
My Girlfriend and I were picked to hunt zone one week one, is anyone else here hunting zone one week one? Thanks Chris

01-Nov-17
60+ deer from fowl Meadows's in 2 very limited seasons means there are too many deer.

01-Nov-17
We're too many not are !!

01-Nov-17
Only 9 taken in fowl meadow last year. Almost 400 acres

01-Nov-17
I guess we'll see ? I put in a food plot every year and it's always desimated before the season opens , not this year. Maple saplings are actually growing for the first time in years. No where near as many trail cam pics. Tells me the numbers aren't as high as the DCR wants you to think. Don't get me wrong I put in for the hunt. There are some monsters in there. Just saying if they are saying shoot a bunch of deer or we are going to bring in sharpshooters that is a stupid comment .

01-Nov-17

GED's embedded Photo
GED's embedded Photo
2016 numbers

01-Nov-17
That's great GED !!! I'm telling you what I am seeing on a bordering property !!!

06-Nov-17
Unlimited doe tags for Blue Hills. That population is going to get hurt. Saw some blood trails today.

09-Nov-17
Just climbed in and set up next to an old poaching stand from years ago. Always find these on “new” management hunts.

15-Nov-17
How goes it archery guys?

27-Nov-17
How did we do?

27-Nov-17
They must all still be busy gutting and dragging !!

27-Nov-17
Hahaha I talked to a guy yesterday that hunted fowl meadow. He got in 7 times, saw 53 deer, saw the biggest buck of his life, but couldn't get a shot at any.

27-Nov-17
Same here. Lots of deer but no shots . They wouldn`t let us remain in the reservation after dark for any reason. That would include tracking . Kinda killed the pm hunts. Too many rules . I won`t do it again.

27-Nov-17
Same here. Lots of deer but no shots . They wouldn`t let us remain in the reservation after dark for any reason. That would include tracking . Kinda killed the pm hunts. Too many rules . I won`t do it again. Foul Meadow has lots of deer especially in the 6009 area. Plenty of gun shots . There is a nice ground blind built in there . Use the river trail not the Burma trail to get in there . Good luck.

27-Nov-17
SloMo, that was sort of my take. They work at putting this whole thing together, then treat you like a criminal during the process and hamstring you at every corner.

"Please don't field dress a deer in sight of anyone. If you could, please cover the deer up when transporting it to your vehicle. Please try and keep the animal covered once it's in your vehicle. If you could just not exist during this hunt, yet be really successful, that would be great. Here's a parking pass, please try not to park on the side of the road, we have designated parking areas. If you shoot a deer, and it doesn't die, but it's down, please call the central office for 'humane dispatch' we really don't want you making a 2nd shot if need be. Be out of the woods and checked out by 4:30. The line gets long so you may want to start heading out around 3PM" - WTF!

27-Nov-17
If that's the amount of BS they serve, I'll pass.

27-Nov-17
Wow !! Fucking ridiculous !! Why have a hunt if you don't let the guys hunt ??

27-Nov-17
My girlfriend Jocelyn and I are headed to fowl meadows tomorrow and Thursday, I don't really know what to expect, but I'm going with an open mind. I want to see what this is like first hand. Hopefully its not as bad as some of the above makes it sound. If someone really saw 53 deer in 7 sits I'd be amazed. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes for us.

27-Nov-17
If you get in there early and head down the river trail from the north end the hunters coming in from the other end might push them to you. I saw some very nice deer between the Burma Trail and the River Trail . Lots of Marsh with tons of trails through it. Good luck

27-Nov-17
Do they really suggest being out by 4:30, and starting the process by 3?

Ugh.

27-Nov-17
Archery wasn’t bad. No checking out. Just check in. Never had to wait

27-Nov-17
Does anyone know how many were killed during archery?

27-Nov-17
Leave it to the lefties to ruin a great hunting opportunity. This PC BS is sickening. They should just open the area to lawful hunting, like the rest of the state. Too bad.

28-Nov-17
Zone 1 day 1 was interesting. Overall a good experience. Check in and check out was painless. Jocelyn and I were stopped and checked by an epo, he was exceptional and very friendly. All of the other hunters I bumped into were also fine, no yahoo's and very conscientious. We arrived at the parking area after checking in around 5am and talked to 2 other hunters and coordinated where we would be with each other. I told them I was going to start walking/pushing to Jocelyn around 9. One of the other hunters was in a very nice pinch and had hung a stand. He was thrilled that I would push the thick stuff towards him and Jocelyn. I pushed 3 does past him and he shot one of them. Jocelyn saw 4 does by the end of the day and I saw 6. The area is very thick and swampy, getting a good shot is difficult even at 30 yards from the ground. We started hunting with another couple around noon. Jocelyn and the other couple set up and I walked through a god awful swamp and pushed at least 6 deer I never saw to them. 2 of those deer were harvested. We now have a better idea of deer movement and how to hunt this property and we have high hopes for day 2 on Thursday. One hunter we talked to hung a stand Sunday, and by Tuesday morning it was stolen, someone had also loosened some of the straps on his climbing sticks. Overall a good experience so far. I will update on how day 2 goes

29-Nov-17
Glad u had a good experience! Good luck thurs

29-Nov-17
CP that's really cool that you and your spouse/GF were not the only "couples" hunting in there. It's great to see more ladies taking up the sport.

30-Nov-17
Zone 1 day 2 was another nice day in the woods. We got settled into our climbers by 5:30, by 8:00 am I heard 9 shots in our zone. We got down around 9 am. One nice buck was harvested. We helped a fellow hunter blood trail a deer he shot earlier in the day. Jocelyn has a great eye for blood and the patience to follow the trail slowly. If it wasn't for her I don't know that we would have found the deer. Overall we had a good experience. If we got picked again we would do the hunt again. We made some new friends and had a good time. The deer sign in our zone was unreal, I've never seen anything like it before. It was very very thick, shooting in some parts of this were almost impossible. When I checked out at 3 pm this afternoon I was told 10 deer harvested during archery, 13 deer on Tuesday and 10 by the time I left. I think more women/girls would hunt if they were exposed to it. Jocelyn's best friend came from Texas to visit for a long weekend during shotgun season in Rhode Island, specifically to try hunting. She shot her first deer ever, a doe, her second day hunting. I could be wrong but, I think success helps get new hunters interested. I try to start new hunters with something fun and easier like squirrels or turkeys. Squirrels are great because they are plentiful and shots abound. Turkey is great too because it is a beautiful time of year to be outside and you get to hear the turkeys talking. I always try to make sure new hunters have fun, the quickest way to turn someone off from hunting is for them to have a miserable experience. CP

30-Nov-17
Great job CP. the way I look at it is, if you know what you are in for you can accept that and turn it into a positive experience. You knew it would be crowded and you accepted that and turned it into your favor. I am glad you had a great time with your significant other and also took another from out of state and put them on deer. That is what it is all about. Sometimes we have to take a step back and just enjoy the time outdoors. Enjoy it for what it is and what you want out of it. Again. Great job!!!

• Sitka Gear