Nocturnal 08-Nov-17
Trapper 09-Nov-17
upnorth 09-Nov-17
MrBones 09-Nov-17
Tomb 09-Nov-17
07-Nov-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
2 cables snapped on mans stand. Fell 20 feet last night. I, as some of you private land hunters always use a lifeline that is attached to me from the time you leave the ground. I guess I should be replacing cables on all my older stands. Who does this? Or better yet, maybe replace all stands. News report doesn’t give much information, as to how heavy is the guy?

07-Nov-17
Sad to hear. I use safety lines all the time and the stands that are left up year round get replaced every 3 years. Ladder stands get replaced every 5. if I spend $1000 every 5 years I feel being able to hunt safely is worth it.

07-Nov-17
This past summer I went into our old barn at my in laws property and found two hang on stands. One was so old and rusty i threw it out. The other I was able to save. I bought chain from Home Depot and used Eye Bolts to connect to the stand. Sprayed them black and hung it. We have used this stand multiple times this year.

07-Nov-17
I trust chain's much more then strap's . Always change them over .

07-Nov-17
Swampy, the straps or chains weren't the problem, it was the 2 cables that hold the bottom of the stand in place. I also wrap a chain around my stands as additional protection but that doesn't help if the cables break.

07-Nov-17
I inspect mine every year as I remove all hang on stands at the end of the year. Ladder stands I leave up all year but I check before the season. The main reason I leave the ladder stands is because I don't have room for them in the basement.

07-Nov-17
Should have been wearing a harness.......

07-Nov-17
The problem is the plastic coating on the cables hold moisture in and the cables rust. On older stands with cable going from platform to seat it's best to replace the cables with 3/8 or heavier chain in the same length as the cables. You can also buy replacement cables from some sources online. Stands that are more than a few years old and or left out year round should be checked yearly. If you leave them out it's probably just best to be proactive and replace the cables with chain. Also of course always wear a harness and use safety lines. I am guilty of not using the safety lines. The first year I tried them I had some animal, probably squirrels chew through 2 of them in less than a month.

07-Nov-17
I know I'll get frowned upon saying this but I don't use a safety harness. Every year these stories come up and it's a reminder I should be wearing one. Sad to hear these stories.

07-Nov-17
Come on Noc, we need you around here. I will even provide you with the first one.

07-Nov-17
I'm with Nocturnal. No good excuse, except I find them cumbersome and confining, and make me feel herky jerky. I only use ladder stands. I'm sure a wheelchair is more cumbersome, and a coffin more confining, but I have tried them all, I just cannot get comfortable for the "death" of me.

07-Nov-17
Add me to the list with Pete and Crussder. I also only use ladder stands, but then, I don't wear a seat belt either.

07-Nov-17
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more. Most of the guys I know, me included don't use them . I think its on everyone's mind they just don't talk about it . For 30 plus years it has been hang on stands for me with screw in steps or climbing sticks . A few years back I started sitting on the ground more and more . I have to say I don't miss the climbing .

07-Nov-17
I'll look up the brand of my harness when I get home and post it up. I think it is pretty comfortable.

Also, consider wearing a harness not for yourself, but for your wife/children/grandchildren.

07-Nov-17
There have been a few times where I walked 30 minutes with all my gear, and forgot my harness. I hung my stand 2 feet off the ground and hunted there. I screw enough stuff up, I don't need to fall out of a tree too. Half the time I'm up a tree with my harness, I envision something going wrong and hanging from the tree.

07-Nov-17
I envision something going "right", and hanging from a tree.......that would be a deer lol.

07-Nov-17
Family friend broke his neck last year during rifle season after a fall. Shoulder/Triceps function left and nothing below that, get a harness! Full-body comfortable ones can be had for 50$'s or less, I throw mine on before I leave the truck and I hardly notice it. Also made the switch to lifelines on all stands last year so I am strapped in from the second my feet leave the ground until they land. Agree with Slimm21, think about other people, if I die I'm putting others in a rough situation (ahem wife?), my opinion it's selfish to not wear one, so very easy.

Forgot my yesterday morning, made the 25 minute walk back to the truck to throw it on, all it takes is one.

Enough stupid s#@t to kill yourself on, don't let a treestand fall be the reason.

07-Nov-17
17 years ago my stand fell out the tree while I was trying to put safety harness around the tree. back than we had the strap that went on our waist like a belt. I fell 30 feet. broke my back ,tailbone, sturnam and had road rash all over arms and legs. I tore both rotator climbing up tree to retrieve my new bow still hanging in tree. this was on private land. I later found out someone tried to steal stand by cutting chain but chain was embedded in tree. now sound or warning. the stand let loose. I also just attended the funeral for a friend who was up with his son putting up a stand and fell. I now use a lifeline all the time.find a harness that goes on and off easy. some are too confusing to put on and you won't use it. I really like mine now and I am connected to tree all the time. do it for your loved ones. I got a second chance.

07-Nov-17
I posted about my Monday hunt where I got to my stand just to realize I forgot my safety harness at the truck. I gave it some thought and decided to walk back to the truck. So I could walk and hunt another day. Lifelines are frozen but with a little work, I can get the prussic hitch to free up and work. I now carry a dry hitch and swap them out if they are frozen or wet.

07-Nov-17
No one ever shows stat's on how many people die from hanging to long in their harness after they fall . To many people put on their harness and don't have an escape plan in case they fall . Stay safe everyone . Nocturnal please start using one . You've put a lot of hard work in to get that body , don't loose it in a wheelchair .

08-Nov-17
I can't even be in the tree anymore and feel comfortable without one.

08-Nov-17
Swampy makes a great point here, I acually forget the hang time before blood circulation is cut off, but it is not very long. An escape plan is nessicary.

08-Nov-17
Maybe there should be a law requiring full body harnesses? We have seat belt laws. If law makers are going to waste time with pink camo, no age limits, and no case laws ect. maybe they should do something that is working in the hunters best intrest

08-Nov-17
I started using the harness that came with my Summit climber right after our first kid was born. Hated using that harness because it was so confusing to put on in the morning. Last year I switched to the Muddy Safeguard which I got for under $100. It also came with the suspension relief strap so if I ever fall I have a way to take some pressure off until I can figure out how to get out of the situation. I also bought lifelines for all my stands. I figure I want to do everything possible to stay on this earth as long as possible. I've also talked my Dad into wearing a harness every time out which I didn't think would be possible. He told me last week when we were hunting together he no longer feels safe in a tree without it on. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

08-Nov-17
I replace my original SOP last fall, after 10 years.... nothing wrong with it, but was told to replace it after that much time.... I went with a Tree spyder with suspension relief strap, which I practiced with .... never know its on, it is that light....

I don't think the govt should get involved, we got enough of that,,,,, if you do not wear one and fall, well you can not fix stupid,,,,,, that might seem harsh, but that is a reality,,,,,,, My friend is an arborist,,, you never see him with a chain saw on a ladder, he always use ropes, and is always in a harness, guess he knows something

08-Nov-17
I know you would trapper. Thanks for the offer. I think once the offseason hits I'll grab one of those vests.

09-Nov-17
Thanks guys for the input. My Muddy is about the 3rd thing I put on when I'm getting dressed at the cabin, then I put my outermost jacket over it when I get out of the truck. Stay safe.

09-Nov-17
Ever since I had a cable on my truck tail gate snap that looked brand new ( it broke in the middle under the coating 10 years ago) I changed all the cables on my stands to chain there a little louder carrying in and hanging but i feel safer with them .

09-Nov-17
I read this morning that Ned Yost fell working on his tree stand. Broke his hip.

09-Nov-17
There's a certain test in Wi that 12 year olds take that asks how short your tether should be? The answer is short enough to stay in the stand. meaning you should be able to climb back in. I keep mine short enough so I can set down but thats it.

• Sitka Gear