Pasquinell 09-Nov-17
RutnStrut 13-Nov-17
Trapper 13-Nov-17
ground hunter 13-Nov-17
lame crowndip 13-Nov-17
GVS 14-Nov-17
RutnStrut 14-Nov-17
09-Nov-17
I came home on Monday to do some work stuff. Monday morning while removing a water heater and carting it down a long steep stairwell my helper slipped and let go. At the time I had one hand barely on the cart as I was repositioning. He grabbed the cart as he went down. Knowing I was the only way he wasn't going to tumble down 34 steps and then possibly be crushed by a water heater. I grabbed the dolly at a weird angle and pulled with everything thing I had. Good news is my helper who is my 18 year old son didn't fall and didn't get crushed. Bad news. There was a very loud pop from my elbow and it hurts like hell. I have less than half strength in it when bending it. My doc is out of town until next week. So I don't know the extent of the damage. Point here is that i tried shooting my bow every day since. I can't even draw back my daughter's 40lb bow. My best friend has a brand new Excalibur crossbow that he says is mine for the rest of the season. So I guess I'm going to the dark side. I'm not happy about it. But I've got some good rut days off yet before gun season, and I hate the idea of just giving up.

09-Nov-17
I tie a safety to line to stuff like that - too late now, but for the next time for us all

09-Nov-17
Enjoy your time hunting, and good luck. Sucks to hear about your injury. But glad your helper is a-ok.

As long as you are hunting legally, safely and ethically for your location, it doesn't bother me what weapon a person chooses.

I personally destroyed my shoulders playing rugby in college. Now at age 46, It is getting harder and harder to pull back even 60 pounds on my bow. I have no qualms about switching over to a crossbow once the time comes.

09-Nov-17
A similar thing happen to a friend of mine last year . He decided to finish his year with a cross bow after he hurt himself . He ended up shooting a large buck . He snipped the buck at 68 yards during the rut . After it was over my friend regretted what he done . In his own words , The buck that had eluded him and his bow for 3 years didn't have chance against the cross bow . In the end my friend feels like hunting during the rut and knowing the buck was there combined with the cross bow's ability for long range was too much . Using all of these things was just not fare , again his own words . This shame still haunts him to this day .

09-Nov-17
Rut get the xbow and go hunt..... One thing that I never agreed with the DNR about, was how hard they made it, for someone, under 65, to get a permit to use one.... That was one of the arguments, that pro crossbow guys made, at the time of introduction, and they had a good point.....

I always felt, if the DNR was not so anal at the time, those who needed one would have gotten a permit. My brother in law a Vietnam 5th marine vet, lost his leg in a snowmobile accident, and he had nerve ending issues in his arms because of it,,,,, His doctor signed the paper work for him, but the DNR in Antigo still at the time, denied his permit, since he had dexterity in his fingers,,,,,,, I could not believe it....

hope things turn out well for you,,,,, and you get a nice buck,,,,, I am so bored at home now, because of all of my restrictions, I guess, I get the time, to do this

09-Nov-17
Sorry to hear about your injury - I hope you heal fast! Go out and enjoy yourself and Good Luck!

09-Nov-17
Do you still need to purchase the X-Bow license to use one during archery season, or can you just use one? I thought it was something like $3 if you already purchased an archery license.

09-Nov-17
Thanks guys. I should say that most of my intention of posting this was to just remind us all to slow down and take it easy. I was rushing things so I could get all my work done and get back hunting. IMO had I been working at my normal pace, nothing would have happened. In the end my rushing to save a few minutes, cost me more than that. It also could have gotten my son hurt. I'm usually very strict about safety. But my mind was in a tree, not on work.

09-Nov-17
I did purchase the 3 dollar crossbow "upgrade" today. Picking up the crossbow from my buddy tonight.

09-Nov-17
Hope you have enough strength to cock it.

09-Nov-17
Good luck with that Rut (and I mean that)....I kind of did the same thing in '02. Had the staph infection in my "repaired" shoulder and could not move my left arm at all (even passive motion) til mid October. What I did was establish a 20 yard single pin (remember the old Saunders T-dots?). I figured that since I was shooting a short range weapon there was absolutely no need for a scope of any kind. Anyway I shot a really nice eight point at 8 yards and watched him fold in about 30 yards. I remember standing over him thinking that this has absolutely no relation to archery and never again. Sold the thing the next day and started additional rehab so I could go back to an actual bow. Hope your experience works out well.....Just my $.02-LC

09-Nov-17
Crank it!

09-Nov-17
Bicep tendion tear. I had the same thing happen. ( not with a water heater). I was carrying a front door frame to install in a house I was building, slipped on some ice and instead of letting go of the door I hung on to it, twisted and popped my tendion. Took surgery to fix, but it is all good now. Good luck, and who cares what you use to hunt. As long as it gets you in the woods go for it. Its like Ford, dodge, Chevy. Who cares.

09-Nov-17
Rut, can I suggest a new site?

crossbowsite.com

Talk to you next year. No photos, no stories. It doesn't count!

Get better!

09-Nov-17
Ball busting is my specialty! Get better.

09-Nov-17
I will quit bowhunting wgen the Robertson can no longer hit my cheek and treasure the memories. The gun and xbows are the same to me so I will gun hunt when venison is needed.

13-Nov-17
Update on this. Dr. thinks I have a partial bicep tendon tear at the elbow. I think it's a bit better but the Dr. thinks I may just be adjusting to the pain. He ordered an MRI that I put off until after gun season. If it's like my last bicep tear it'll heal on it's own it's just a matter of putting up with the pain/discomfort for awhile.

13-Nov-17
Get well Rut!

13-Nov-17
Yeah Rut, don't push it, hope it heals well,,,

13-Nov-17
Good luck, Rut...

14-Nov-17
34 steps? No doubt the only exaggeration in you account.

14-Nov-17
"34 steps? No doubt the only exaggeration in you account."

Well it's a stairwell on the outside of a main street building to the rental unit at the top. What's your point?

• Sitka Gear