spike78 13-Nov-17
spike78 13-Nov-17
spike78 13-Nov-17
Will 13-Nov-17
drslyr 13-Nov-17
spike78 13-Nov-17
Dthfrmabove 13-Nov-17
09-Nov-17
Ive been lurking this site while at work just to pass time but there are some things that I just dont understand. First off I will say, "No Offence" but, I created this ID today mainly out of frustration because some of you so called experts sound like you are more book smart than actually getting out there and learning by making your own mistakes while hunting. Ive been hunting for over 30 yrs and Ive learned many lessons by making mistakes while hunting. I noticed that a majority of the post/replies are from the same guys that always chime in with their suggestions and expertise. Now Im not doubting the guys that do this but when do you actually get to hunt? I get that some of you post using your cell while on stand, but cmon guys. Real or not, some of these stories are fun to read but the constant post from the same ole guys is getting, yep old. I know I will get flak from this post probably from the same guys that post every day but hey, I have thick skin and balls enough to say what other people are most likely thinking. I probably wont reply back to anyone but Im sure that I will be reading the replies. Happy Hunting.

09-Nov-17
thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

09-Nov-17
You are entitled to your opinions, but I wish you would develop an appreciation for what this site is all about. Many beginners and younger guys have found the advice and suggestions offered by more experienced hunters to be invaluable. This is a great site with 99.9% of the conversations having a positive tone and a lot of good humor as well. I have enjoyed watching the development of some of the younger guys who have gone from " How do you do this or that?" to posting stories of their experiences and successes. Hope you change you opinion and become a valuable contributor to our site.

09-Nov-17
I feel refreshed and enlightened already. Why would you be lurking and speculating on what others may be thinking ? Why not share your learning and lessons with those who seek help . Take over , sharing is very rewarding . I look forward to your positive and helpful contributions . Maybe others are thinking the same thing. I wouldn't know. I'll let them speak for themselves.

Thanks for your input Mr. Thick skin.

09-Nov-17
And, NO.

09-Nov-17
So you created an account to troll us. Please, fill me in with your suburban hunting advice!

This shit is hard! You have to get in kissing distance of deer in areas that are hard to get into, and it’s damn difficult.

I’m not sure what hunting is like in Western MA but as a z9 resident, I can only dream of what are comparatively wide open spaces. With regular access to farmland and people who don’t key your car.

As a CA hunter, I am a transplant, hunting was cake. I’ve made +500yd shots before. I didn’t even need to be in the same county as a deer in order to drop it. Ever go hunting for hogs on foot with a shotgun? Those bastards in CA are smart, make mile long circles to come up behind you and attack, AND they’re the size of an upright piano.

How does any of my past experience play into suburban hunting for deer where most shots are 10-15 yds? It doesn’t. But, you apply what you know, you share share share (successes and failures) and continuously try to improve.

How do we improve or even hunt when we’re all on our phones? We’re hunting in the suburbs!! Cell towers are NOT far off. We’re tech savvy!

I’ve only been on this forum for two years but I don’t remember anyone ever claiming to be an expert. I just know that people contribute. They even contribute to efforts regarding hunters rights in MA, preservation of hunting laws, fighting forest encroachment and overall ensuring you still have a place to hunt.

On a really personal note, I HATE old people (and I’m 40). You had a cake as time of no one paying attention to hunters, you abused the land and the animals to the point where they’re sparse to this day, and played no damned part in preserving hunters rights outside of poaching, baiting, and trapping!

So, with your first post. You insulted everyone, made incorrect assumptions about what everyone is doing, and contributed nothing.

You puked on your shoes at our first meeting. You fail.

Great trolling job though!

09-Nov-17
I agree with PI, with 30 years of experience, I welcome your thoughts. I have been doing it on and off for fifteen years or so. I was out of it for a few years because I lost my hunting spot, so I am forced to learn how to find them all over again. Having hunters that are basically hunting the same woods as me is invaluable.

Glad you finally logged on. What zone do you hunt and what are your secrets to success? I need all the help I can get right now. I have logged a solid 50 hours so far with nothing but a few sightings before first light. (I know, I know.....scouting, then more scouting, then scouting again).

Pete

09-Nov-17
Maybe your boss would like to know that you need to troll on good people to "pass time"

09-Nov-17
I’m with peter. I need all the help I can get. I have a few doe under my belt for MA, but still for the life of me I still can’t work out that from a 20’ stand, making a 12-15yd shot, should I aim high or low? From the ground I can and have bullseye’d the heart np. But from up in the stand, I’ve always felt like I “got lucky” with my shot.

Advice always appreciated.

09-Nov-17
watch the news....stay out of our woods please. bob.

09-Nov-17
Wow HD22. You are missing the point. We are all brothers of the bow. Lighten up, have fun, hunt hard. It’s that simple.

09-Nov-17
HD22 I think you are incorrect. I've enjoyed reading these posts and interactions between the brethren of the bow the last few months. A forum is made by its active members and your criticism is that there aren't enough experienced hunters on here and then you add you're an experienced hunter of 30 years. So far that's your only contribution...so weird. One year ago I heard Steve Rinella on Joe Rogan's podcast and it was intriguing. I've been a left-wing bay stater my whole life and thought hunting was for rednecks. Joe Rogan is such a bow-hunting fanatic he got me excited to watch Meat Eater on Netflix. After devouring all the available shows I wanted to learn more about sustainable local meat and wildlife conservation. Who do you ask when you don't know anyone who hunts? I reached out on this site and have had very positive and knowledgeable replies to all my questions. I'll admit entering this sport is scary and the internet is a good resource. I have a BS detector so I can weigh good and bad advice - I don't mind if there are a few limited active members here. Those few members are more than what I have in my limited social circle so I'll hear what they all have to say. "Fast-Forward" a year to today: I just shot some bullseyes today at XSPOT with a 35 lb recurve (20 yards). Months ago a 25 pounder had me in pain after shooting 30 minutes. I have a sweet G5 PRIME on order coming in next week. I have a great spot picked out with the help and advice of members here. I just got my LTC and I'll be joining a pheasant club next year. Next week I'm attending "Basic Hunter Safety." I'm excited to get started, get out there, to learn and make some mistakes of my own. I think this forum, and any forum, is for people who share a hobby to relate and communicate with each other. CR/HD22 if you want a forum that has real experience and advice about hunting I think you should help the community by sharing your experience and chiming in when questions are posted. I wish you had created your account to help somebody or offer a tip instead of trolling. Ah, internet, bringing trolls into even this innocent forum.

09-Nov-17
I'm not sure he was actually trolling, but it was certainly a complaint. I would argue that HD22 could look at it differently. Forums like this are communities and you generally have three catagories of people. Heavy users/influencers, occasional contibuters, and lurkers. All are fine and contribute in their own way. Even the lurker who just enjoys reading is telling friends and etc. Without the heavy contributers, you dont have much of a community. And these guys know how to hunt. If you didnt believe so, you wouldn't be lurking. Good luck.. -Jake

09-Nov-17
HD or should I call you Mr. CR ? Good to know you have enough thick skin and balls to...probably not reply. Yes I am an expert, just ask all the deer I have not killed and they will tell you I am doing every thing right. oh and believe it or not their is a lot of knowledge in books. Maybe try that next time your at work. "No Offence"

09-Nov-17
I have enjoyed hearing from the regulars,.. well regularly,.. actually I like and respect them more than those that come and go,..

Respect your Forum Elders,.. LMAO,..

Seriously HD we all share our opinions here,.. it's OK,.. as you did,. we keep it polite,. as you did,.. otherwise some damn Russian troll will have us fighting/flaming each other,..

Carry on,.. and everyone get back in the damn stand,..

09-Nov-17
Personally I really like the stories from the regulars as well as those from newer members. Seems like your post was solely intended to get a rise out of people. I have 55 yrs of hunting experience and still am learning from people on this site. Even though I post on the forum I still manage to get out and experience the real thing.(go figure!) It does not surprise me you don't have the sack to respond back you present yourself as a real RICHARD! In your case I hope you go back to lurking and do not post. Even though you have 30yrs experience something tells me you ain't all that!

09-Nov-17
Seriously, can anyone answer my shot placement question above?

09-Nov-17
HD, I respect your opinion, but alot of the guys that post regularly are the same guys who basically taught me to hunt. I knew absolutely nothing about bowhunting, and after many unsuccessful seasons, I ran across this site. These guys have answered every question I've ever had, even the most basic. I've read threads that were almost seminar like on rattling, calling, and numerous other strategies. In the three or four years since signing up I've seen dozens of deer a season, had some amazing encounters, and finally last year tagged 2 bucks, and this site and the people on it are the main factor in my success. We have guys contributing on here that also have many years of experience, and I sincerely hope you join them in sharing that knowledge. The only way this tradition survives is to pass it down to the next generation, and this has been a pretty effective forum to help with that. One of the things that has amazed me about bowhunting and this site in particular is the generosity of my fellow hunters. Thank you gentlemen, I would be lost without it. - Bryan

09-Nov-17
low, if I was shooting 15 yards from a tree I would use my 10 yard pin.

09-Nov-17
I agree partially with hd22 with one point. Some of the stories are long and somewhat repetitive, but, no one is forcing you (or me) to read them. I find this site very informative on many aspects, entertaining, but not every post is a " must read " to everyone, myself included. I grew up in the generation where the only hunting advice written was in Outdoor Life or field and stream, not every article then was edge of your seat material. And sometimes I just plain dont have to time to read every single post on every single thread, but thats MY issue, not the hunter writing the post. Also, like mentioned above, alot of new hunters on here looking to get advice, and share stories, Give them a chance and Good Luck out there...

09-Nov-17
Sosso . I'll try over P/M Nice answer Eastie . Well said. mb well said . many others too.

09-Nov-17
I'm new here as well but I've been reading what has been said on here for years I like it cause it's local I've like to share what I've learned over the years good and bad most guys on here are willing to help others out myself included were all in it together hd22 if you don't like what is said find another site to lurk on

09-Nov-17
HD22, I think you need a snickers, bro.

09-Nov-17
Eastie/Brian,.. very well said,.. tips hat your way,...

09-Nov-17
A lot of us have been on this forum for many years because it's one of the few without much bashing and arguing. People have been great sharing ideas, asking for help and giving guidance. Many of us with 20-30 years experience, self included, still learn from others here. If you don't like what you are seeing well I guess you can always change the channel but I bet if you keep reading you will pick up a few tidbits of info that someday will help......

09-Nov-17
HD - I post all the dang time - because I work on the computer, am self employed, and work way more than I probably should... (I've got a good 3hrs ahead of me tonight because I took off this afternoon to go hunting, and it's 9PM) It's a nice little diversion from my daily flow. Because of that, my gut reaction to your post was: "Dude, seriously. First post ever and you are going to tell people not to post..."

Look, just from a communication perspective. If you feel like the weak point in this forum is to much of the same ideas - and you have a lot of experience, then please, chime in! More ideas help all of us (you to) grow. So bring those ideas to the table. Being primarily a self taught - prior to the internet - hunter... I know I've learned a lot over the years... but every single sit I'm humbled into realizing how much more there is to know. I'm convinced that's a big part of why I get so excited when I'm successful be it a doe, skip, young or old buck.

A lot of us have been on here for 10+ years. But there are a lot of guys who have become regulars and have only posted a lot over the last year or few years. It's a great mix, and everyone that seems to interact here shares that common goal of wanting to have fun hunting, and grow. Someone had rattling questions earlier in the year, and a guy who lurked but had huge experience in hunting and with rattling specifically chimed in and gave all of us some great info - those were his first posts. Super constructive and helpful! Super to see how there is so much knowledge floating round out there!

So, next time there's a thread with questions... Get in and get "dirty". Help all of us - and YOU out. It's amazing how much we all can learn when a bunch of folks who love to hunt and want others to love it just as much work together.

Unrelated, but...

Arrownoob - very cool to hear more of your story. I may have missed it before. It's awesome what you are doing!

09-Nov-17
sosso . If the deer is in close bend at the waist and aim a little low. At least I think that is what you do. I never try and take a direct downward shot my Favorite is 15-20 yds out.

09-Nov-17
HD22, yup. There's definitely one expert here. Posts on every thread. Morning, noon and night. Talks like he taught Charles Alsheimer everything he knows. Tells guys that are seeing rutting bucks and shooting bucks looking for action that it's not happening. Even in the zone he supposedly hunts.

I have noticed that a lot of very respectful and good hunters that used to post a lot haven't been posting, kinda keeping quiet but still reading. I think their not posting because they don't want any conflict with said expert.

I come here to read about everyone's hunting experience, really enjoy listening to the young or inexperienced guys telling how everything went wrong, but can't wait to get back out there.

Reading about the success of an experienced hunter making it happen when everything is going wrong.

Let's just keep it real and honest.

09-Nov-17
Hd22 it looks like you got your answer looks like no one thinks the way you do you say you have thirty years exsperance is that in lurking or trolling you watch but don’t offer to help when someone asks it really looks like there might not be room on this site for one who thick skinned as you and has giant balls this is a place where we call one another brothers anyone on this site would help one another if one asked for it and yes I am one of the regulars here and yes I have 40 yrs exsperance but I still learn from even the beginners here so if you think that you could soften up a little and put your giant balls away we could use your exsperance and we could call you brother think about it

09-Nov-17
Hd22 it looks like you got your answer looks like no one thinks the way you do you say you have thirty years exsperance is that in lurking or trolling you watch but don’t offer to help when someone asks it really looks like there might not be room on this site for one who thick skinned as you and has giant balls this is a place where we call one another brothers anyone on this site would help one another if one asked for it and yes I am one of the regulars here and yes I have 40 yrs exsperance but I still learn from even the beginners here so if you think that you could soften up a little and put your giant balls away we could use your exsperance and we could call you brother think about it

09-Nov-17

09-Nov-17

09-Nov-17
I was wondering why I haven't been having much luck,,, Fricken Mass forum I need to stop listening to you guys!!!

09-Nov-17
I'm with Muzzy. Keep it Real Over and out!

09-Nov-17
Muzzy is taking his half veiled shot at me. What is not real fellas ?

09-Nov-17
Hmm, the fish took the bait. Easier than fishing the canal.

Deerdawg X2, keep it real over and out.

09-Nov-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
This is like junior high girls locker room BS. You go girls!

09-Nov-17
Yup you are experienced with canals I am sure.

Folks this new fella is likely Muzzys buddy and we all know how he feels about me. This was cooked up by the two of them . Very sad . I tried to make it good with him but he refuses. Would rather takes shots at me . That is all I will say on this thread . Sorry for having to folks. Please back off Muzzy.

09-Nov-17
Hahaha, I have no clue who HD22 is. Nothing cooking at all.

As far as trying to make good with me, are you serious? Sending me nasty pm telling me how much everyone here hates me. Telling me I've been abused, have a overflowing bucket of hate, I'm the bummer of the forum and have Daddy issues.

Now the last two PM's aren't any better. Don't tell everyone that you've been trying to make good to me then send such nasty PM's.

You're very behind the scenes mean.

09-Nov-17
Cmon guys keep it fun. Keep it about bow hunting. This was a fun thread what a great troll ride. Should we stick a fork in it? There's millions on the internet- anyone can chime in. Can't blow up the site every time there's a drive-by bored, aged, dreamer who wants to sit at work and watch you have fun and criticize you for trying to help.

10-Nov-17
Sosso says, On a real personal note, I HATE old people. You had cake as time of no one paying attention to hunters, you abused the land and the animals to the point where they're sparse to this day, and played no damn part in preserving hunters rights outside of poaching, baiting and trapping.

So with your post you just insulted every older hunter on this forum.

Actually the older guys are a little more selective, let deer walk and don't worry about filling every tag.

Don't hear to many older guys saying, if it's brown it's down, whack em and stack em, nothing gets a pass.

Maybe you just puked on your shoes.

10-Nov-17
Sportsmen forums follow a bell curve of new/ excitement - peaking with mass sharing & camraderie - followed by the decline via egos & attacks.

I hope I'm wrong, having recently discovered this source of information. You all have been very helpful to someone who is now hunting urban areas vs. timber leases.

10-Nov-17
There is some historical truth to how the past (common man/farmer) dealt with wild game and land management . Before the turn of the century (19 century) . Massive amounts of clear cutting for farming and wood harvest and wildlife populations were decimated. The numbers have grown again . When my dad was a young man in the 40's he never saw a deer here in the wild. They were just wiped out before his time. Maybe that history is being lumped on the back of the old timers . Very old timers .

10-Nov-17
With more people comes more answers and more right vs wrong. Well said primal!!!

12-Nov-17
I’ve never heard older guys say that either Muzzy. I’ve just seen what they do.

My favorite so far have been:

The deer body Xmas tree by the Milford PD. It was a pyramid about 7’ tall of deer the senior officers got when they went and pushed Upton State, Milford, and that little area just south of Home Depot in Bellingham.

The deer body Xmas tree put up by the Hopkinton police after pushing Brentwood Conservation in Holliston.

Then there’s the odd bait pile, the older guys bragging about said bait pile.

The night shooters, etc.

I’m not going off what I’ve heard, I’m going off what I’ve seen.

In hindsight maybe I should of said that I hate old people who hunt and also happen to be cops? I don’t know, I’ll just leave it at old people...oxy and Coumadin popping old people. With their verps and farts that smell like old meat and aftershave.

Oh well, wouldn’t be the first time I puked on my shoes. Probably won’t be the last.

HD22 is still a winner in my book.

EDITED: Edited to read”Brentwood Conservation” versus “sanctuaries”.

...I told you I’d puke again.

12-Nov-17
I'm an old guy and I don't do any of that. No after shave either. Good luck in the deer woods, young and old alike.

12-Nov-17
Sosso, that's the one bad apple spoils the bunch kinda thinking. I received a text two seasons ago, it was a pic of 5 local guys all around the age of 35. I personally know two of them, they pushed a couple spots on opening day of shotgun season. Mendon, Uxbridge and Upton. They shot 7 deer, 3 bucks and 4 does. Took pics of them sitting on them, piled up like cordwood. Really no difference than what you're talking about but the age of the hunters.

Really shouldn't condemn all, for the actions of a few.

Unfortunately the oxy or opioid crisis isn't age bias, it effects all ages young and old.

We're not far from one another, maybe we will run into each other out in the deer woods and share a little info.

Good luck out there, in our zone we're going to need it.

13-Nov-17
Sosso , at 40 yrs old that doesn't exactly put you in the young mans group. Be careful of your generalizations about the old who do you think taught the younger generation to hunt? . I didn't realize that hunting over bait piles and jacking deer is solely the fault of us old guys. I do not understand the connection with being old and the cops my guess is that most of them are in your age group or younger. Unethical and illegal behavior falls on all age groups not just the old. If you dad is still alive (and I hope he is) you should let him read your post and see how he feels about you bias towards the old after all would not he fall into the smelly fart, pill popping ,aftershave category? Is that hunting shooting an animal at 500 yds? I don't think so. In the northeast you have to at least be in the same county as the deer when you take the shot. As to your question about close range shots set a target at 15 yds. climb a tree and see for yourself or are you too old? Sincerely, Old fart.

13-Nov-17
Holy Crap. Never thought the MA forum would turn into a high school drama class. Sounds like some of your tampons are leaking a little too much. Jesus! Just go out and hunt guys. One year of experience or 30+ years of experience wont stop you from making mistakes. Everyone messes up from time to time. Also who in their right mind want to read about another persons failures all the time. This forum is filled with mostly positive posts or general "this is what happened when I did this" posts that some people just read and go "been there, done that" or someone else might not have that experience and learn a little from it. People want to share their success stories or something they've learned from in the past. Also no one forces you guys to read/contribute to the threads on this forum if they bother you so much. I probably do not fall in the group of so called "experts" by HD22's standards and I've only been hunting for 20 years 13 of which have been by myself once my dad cut me loose and I have been lucky to have access to private land in VT my entire life. Add that to the fact that I barely sleep from Oct-Dec and spend most of my off time during daylight on stand or in the woods then yes I have had some really cool experiences and plain old fashioned luck throughout my life. With all that being said, if you are creating accounts to complain and troll and not share some of your 30 years in the woods knowledge with others then sorry buddy but your skin is a lot thinner than you think if you can handle what your reading.

13-Nov-17
I started hunting late in life, 30yrs old +/-. I don't have any friends close by that hunt, no one in my family hunts either. I had 1 friend who is all about hunting and he kind of took me under his wing the first few years. we kind of fell out of touch shortly after I got into hunting but he recommended this site to me back then. his words "there's a lot of good information there". so I logged on, created a handle and have been here ever since. It was and still is a good source for info. but for me it is that piece that is missing because I don't get to hang out w/ other hunters and share stories. I enjoy the posts from everyone. Yeah some are joking around BS and yes some of the people post a lot. oh well that is what places like this are all about. I'll post a topic/question looking for certain people to chime in just because I value their opinion based off what I've read from them over the years, not based on the pics they may/may not have under their profile. And sometimes someone new will chime in and their opinion will be on point. And then I get another person added to my "i want to know their opinion" list when I have a question. I also notice that unlike other sites people on here may ask the same question or the same topic will come up and no one posts "search the archive" like you see elsewhere. probably because the search function doesn't work well on this site. ??? :-( Will you were on point about the rattling question post! I archived that and have gone back to it a few times this season. so this site to me is kind of like the Deer Camp I never got to experience. and yes just like some old buddies shooting the shit you end up hearing the same stories over and over. to the point where after a while you can tell the story yourself. I'm sure I'm guilty of that here too, my wife tells me I am all the time. anyway, that's my 2 bits. have fun out there and good luck to all.

J

13-Nov-17
I enjoy reading everyone's post. From questions to answers or just how.they do it. Never once felt anyone over doing it. Unless it was me?

13-Nov-17

13-Nov-17
Yo... C R... lighten up, bud.

BTW... did ya git yer deer, yet?

13-Nov-17
This forum is better then the “pros” in the outdoor magazines. If I see one more drawing of a cornfield and the bedding area with an X in the middle for a stand I might puke ha!

13-Nov-17
This forum is better then the “pros” in the outdoor magazines. If I see one more drawing of a cornfield and the bedding area with an X in the middle for a stand I might puke ha!

13-Nov-17
Sosso, where do you live? The club I’m a member at has an elevated platform you can practice on.

13-Nov-17
I'd promised myself I wouldnt post to this thread again, hoping it would die and I could blissfully focus on the fun the MA forum has historically been... But Spike, I'm with you. I look over hunting mags, and see that stuff, or the "big woods buck" issue where they discuss that huge patch of forest where the deer miraculously seem to eat alfalfa... (insert vomit emoji here)

My wives family (all in Minnesota) cant figure out why shooting deer is hard... he he he.

I'd love a reality TV show where you take the midwest hero deer farm hunters (who I truly do not doubt are amazing hunters) drop them in MA, give them the full season and 100K if they can shoot a 5.5 year old on publicly accessible land... If they dont, they give 100K to MDFW for Jeb's stocking program... He he he!

13-Nov-17
Love that post will. Take any tv hunting celeb. Put him in ma. public land for the season and lets see how they do. Pretty boring show then I bet.

13-Nov-17
I would pay money to bet on a pro hunting in zone 6. If they can pull it off I would shut my mouth from now on.

13-Nov-17
It would be funny to see the tv heroes get excited about shooting a big gnarly mcnasty 70" six pointer from mass

• Sitka Gear