BB81 11-Nov-17
Jeffd 11-Nov-17
Jeffd 11-Nov-17
Witchdoctor 12-Nov-17
Jeffd 13-Nov-17
09-Nov-17

Jeffd's embedded Photo
Jeffd's embedded Photo
Had this guy at 10 yards full draw tonight. He came in in front of me and to the right. I got stood up, turned around, full draw, waiting for him to get broad side, and he looked up at me. He didn't take off, but started a nervous walk. I tried to stop him and he took off and stopped about 40 yards behind me and looked around for a couple minutes. I have been hunting this buck all fall and I thought for sure I was going to get him down tonight as I was watching him come across a plowed corn field. The weird thing is, is he came in following a 2 year old 8 pointer. Another crazy thing is, is that I shot a 140" 8 pointer on the same day as today from the same stand last year. Super bummed out.

09-Nov-17
I think you should feel good that you used restraint and didn't take a bad shot. Nice going.

09-Nov-17
I agree with Price. At least you saw him, but you'll be thinking about that for awhile.

09-Nov-17
Ouch yeah that hurts. Such a high and then such a low to watch him walk out of your life. He is a dandy. I've had similar experiences. You gonna try the same spot? Or switch it up?

09-Nov-17
A deer that old has a Masters Degree . you better switch tactics like Grunter is hinting .

09-Nov-17
You would be twice as sick if you took the shot and couldn`t find him...too much of that going on. If he didn`t bust you, you still have a chance.

09-Nov-17
Some of my best days, were bucks where the shot just was not there, like the only double drop tine I ever saw, at 30 yards in bayfield county, on public land, in the 80's..... or the Big 12, that walked behind me, and gave me no shot, in the wilds of the Bibon swamp,,, and I could go on and on....... great deer and moments stay with you

You know he is there, go get him, lots of time yet,,,,, maybe switch up stand locations etc,,,, Also be positive, at all times,,,,, I believe that

09-Nov-17
Gut wrenching, but could be worse. Could of missed like me or worse yet, took a bad shot and wounded it. Get back at him!

10-Nov-17
The spot I am hunting him is just a 5 acre patch of woods that extends off of about a 40 acre woods out into a field that my dad farms. So I only have the small chunk of woods to hunt him. I'm pretty sure the neighbors that own the 40 acre woods gun hunt so I doubt I could get permission to hunt it. I do have different areas to hunt, but this has been the only stand in the last couple weeks that I have had a shooter buck on camera at. I do feel like I had opportunities to take a shot, but he was coming almost right at me and a bit to the right. So it would have been a bad quartering shot and I am glad I didn't take it. I also probably could have taken the shot right after he started walking nervously, but didn't feel comfortable with it, which is why I tried to stop him. He was about 5 ft from where I was going to take the shot when he looked up at me so that's the most gut wrenching part. Would have been under 10 yards. That's why I hate when they come in to the right. I prefer to take a sitting shot in order to stay concealed to the tree. Especially when they're that close. I will keep at it in this spot in hopes that he has a short memory this time of year, unless something shows up on cam at a different chunk of land I hunt. Thanks for the moral support guys.

10-Nov-17
You got a trophy buck to within 10 yards of your stand location. I would consider that a huge victory right there!

The fact that you choose to NOT take a poor percentage shot, is another win.

I wouldn't feel sick, I would be proud of putting together a plan, and having it come 98% to fruition! Good job, and you never know, he might just reappear this year!

10-Nov-17
Thanks for the moral support guys. It's pretty funny to me how going to an internet forum can really make a guy feel better. I'm sure most of you know the feeling, but it's pretty tough on a guy when you hunt a certain buck all year, and come so close to capitalizing just to fall short... As most of you know, opportunities like this don't come around all that often. I'm going to give the stand a day and then get back at it tomorrow.

10-Nov-17
All it takes is a hot doe to bring him right past you again. Keep the faith. Some of my missed opportunities stick with me more than the successes.

10-Nov-17
That's a nice buck. You'll have that memory forever now so I'd consider that a win. Good luck.

11-Nov-17
Great buck and experience. I agree, good work using restraint!...if that pic is from 2015, I can only imagine what he looks like now.

11-Nov-17

Jeffd's embedded Photo
Jeffd's embedded Photo
No, I changed the batteries on the camera and forgot to set the date. Pretty sure this is a picture of him from last year though.

11-Nov-17
I did go out to the same stand tonight. Saw 7 does/fawns and one small buck chasing. I had a set of twin buck fawns come in without a doe that I see almost every time in that stand with the mother. Also saw 2 other orphan fawns tonight. I think we're getting into lock down period. Have to catch them between does now.

12-Nov-17
Hunt long enough and it happens. Good for you not taking a risky shot and wounding such a fine animal!

I had one earlier this week 18 yds where I thought I had a clear shot, little twig I didn’t see deflected the arrow. Tore off a fletch

Don’t give up!

13-Nov-17
Good news! I saw the big one again last night. So he's not totally staying away from the area. And the buck fawns I mentioned earlier that came in without their mother on Saturday evening came in following the big boy tonight as well as their mother. So I'm pretty sure I know where she had been for the last couple of days... The doe and fawns split off and came within range. The big one kept walking to the west of me about 50 yards. I only have 2 evenings I can hunt this week before gun season but I think I might take up some people's advise and take my climber 20 yards or so to the west. I have many hours logged in the woods and have had encounters with many mature bucks. Most of the time this time of year, I see even the mature bucks throw all caution to the wind. This one is very different. Both times I have seen him now, I have yet to see him act rutty at all. I don't think this is one to let his guard down ever. I've got a couple more evenings to try and get the job done. Hopefully I can catch him in between does one more time.

• Sitka Gear