orionsbrother 11-Nov-17
Two Feathers 11-Nov-17
Helgermite 14-Nov-17
09-Nov-17

casekiska's embedded Photo
As a bowhunter, 2017 was a struggle. Massive rotator cuff injury in February, surgery in March, and physical therapy with the goal of being able to shoot a bow by this year's rut. I missed that goal. As of October 15 I could not even draw a 30# bow.

Shoulder was still too weak, unstable, and painful. I thought my 2017 bow season was down the tubes and gone forever. To say I was depressed was an understatement!

Then I discovered I could draw a bow if I shot left handed. On October 16 I bought a left handed Mission compound from Papas Trading Post in Arena. I took it home and realized I had two weeks to teach myself to shoot left handed. I actually said to myself, "Now you have to be both the teacher and the student." I shot two or three times every day in my basement. Slowly, my groups tightened.

Long story short: I killed a 8-point on November 6.

This harvest was particularly meaningful to me for a number of reasons. I'm now 73 and it gets harder every year to hunt, but I proved to myself I can still do it. And then there was the switching to left handed challenge I faced. And lastly, since I was now only shooting 45# I wanted to use a cut-on-contact broadhead. I took a 1969 model Bod-Kin broadhead out of my collection and used it for that buck. I'll be telling Grant and Larry Whiffen (mfgs. of Bod-Kin) about it and know they'll get a kick out of this!

So guys, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

09-Nov-17
Hey guys - that's not the photo I posted. I have no idea where that came from! I'll re-try to post a pic of the buck!

09-Nov-17
OK, now photo of buck appeared,...as it should have in the first place. Thanks for your patience guys. (...I still have no idea where that first pic came from!!!)

09-Nov-17
Congrats on sticking to it. A nice, well deserved buck!

09-Nov-17
As a 71 year old I applaud your " Get'er done " attitude . I' m down to 43 lbs in my Mathews . I pull my power bands 10 time a nite . This is the best I have shot in years .

Good job .

09-Nov-17
You guys are young, to think otherwise it is in your head,,,,, I trout fish with a hard core trouter in the UP who is 83,,,,,, eat right, luck with health, and work out..... those flex bands are great, as a swimmer, I use them a lot in the pool...... Congrats on the deer...

I still pull 58lbs, but looks like I will crank her down, to 50lbs after this ...... my new long bow is 40 pounds, can not wait till spring

09-Nov-17
Very proud of you man! Great story. Greater ending!

09-Nov-17
Great job and way to overcome.

10-Nov-17
Congrats Caseksika. You sure changed from photo 1 to photo 2 ;-) Real nice buck but I thought you knew how to properly hang a deer!

10-Nov-17
Goes to show that old dogs can learn new tricks.....just need to be the right dog.

Youre quite the archer Case!

10-Nov-17
Wow!! Good for you! Great story....

10-Nov-17
Congrats Case! You must have great satisfaction of your achievement to hit your goal of hunting and getting a nice buck this fall.

10-Nov-17
that is really impressive. Would have been really easy to throw in the towel and go to the X bow this year and/or years afterward. My hats off to you sir

10-Nov-17
Alright Case!! I applaud you also. BTW, I'm half way through the book, (hunting, family and some taxidermy things slowed me down), and it's great. Especially now when you the author stays to the bow hunting tradition and takes an excellent buck with his vertical bow. All should read the book, maybe it would inspire those who are looking to take the easy way to shooting an animal (x-gun), to put an effort into there weapon and have pride of accomplishment when they take an animal. All bow hunters should read it.

10-Nov-17
Congrats! Very impressive!

10-Nov-17
Great story Case. As others have said easy to switch to xbow but you said no I'm doing this left handed. Thats just awesome. I can imagine how bad of a shot I would be trying to shoot lefty. But you stuck with it and got it done on a great buck. I'm impressed congrats

10-Nov-17
Well done casekiska! Shows perseverance to the max. Congrats.

10-Nov-17
Way to go Case. Happy for you!

10-Nov-17
Thanks for sharing. Great story and congratulations.

10-Nov-17
BILL

YOU DA MAN, you had 3 outs to use a crossbow, injured, over 65 and they all legal period. Nice work friend!!!

10-Nov-17
very impressive, and thanks for sharing your story. congrats on a nice buck.

10-Nov-17
Impressive indeed! I can't even pick a booger left handed much less shoot a bow!

10-Nov-17
Congrats Bill.

11-Nov-17
Congrats!

11-Nov-17
Inspiring story, I'm impressed Way to go.

14-Nov-17
Way to go Case!

• Sitka Gear