Fivers 13-Nov-17
Badgeralum 13-Nov-17
ground hunter 13-Nov-17
Tweed 13-Nov-17
smokey 13-Nov-17
Bootspit 13-Nov-17
11-Nov-17

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
MADISON – Governor Scott Walker signed four bills relating to hunting into law Saturday, November 11th at the Executive Residence. The bills include one that eliminates the minimum hunting age in Wisconsin.

Children of any age are allowed to hunt with guns under the bill. The bill allows people of any age to participate in a mentored hunt. The bill also allows hunters and mentors to have more than one weapon between them. 34 states have no minimum hunting age, according to the Wisconsin Hunters’ Rights Coalition.

Here is a look at the breakdown of each bill he signed:

Assembly Bill 528 – This bill restores a prohibition (from 2015 Act 100) revoked by 2017 Act 59, which eliminated deer carcass tags from being required under law and thereby re-legalized the harvest of antlerless deer by adults using a youth antlerless deer hunting license under group hunting circumstances. This bill re-establishes the 2015 Act 100 prohibition for adults from harvesting antlerless deer using a youth antlerless carcass tag under group hunting allowances.

Assembly Bill 455 – This bill eliminates the requirement that a person be at least ten years of age to hunt under the hunting mentorship program, leaving it up to parents to decide. The bill also eliminates the current limit of one (1) hunting device that a mentor and a mentee may have while hunting. They both may now carry hunting devices. Finally, the bill prohibits a person who is serving as a mentor in a group hunting party from killing a deer for the mentee or using a deer carcass tag issued to the mentee, in line with other statutes with youth hunting.

Senate Bill 225 – This bill extends the fall turkey, gray (Hungarian) partridge, and pheasant hunting and trapping seasons. These seasons currently close on December 31. The bill sets them as open through the Sunday nearest January 6 (including the New Year’s holiday weekend) and would statutorily prohibit variation. The bill changes the archer deer season. The season currently closes Sunday nearest January 6 (including the New Year’s holiday weekend) except for six metro areas (Green Bay, Hudson, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, and Superior). The metro areas are currently open through January 31. The bill sets the archer deer season as open through the Sunday nearest January 6 for metro areas in addition to all other areas and would statutorily prohibit variation.

Assembly Bill 323 – This bill defines woodchucks as “game animals” and “fur-bearing animals.” As a result, a person may hunt woodchucks under the authority of a small game hunting license and trap woodchucks under a trapping license. Also under this bill as amended, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is required to establish a year-round open season for woodchucks. DNR may not impose a bag or possession limit for this season. This bill also, as amended, adds woodchucks to the list of species (beaver, rabbit, raccoons, and squirrels) that a landowner or occupant, and any member of his or her family, or an individual who has the landowner’s or occupant’s consent may take at any time by means of live trapping with box traps in areas where the discharge of a firearm is illegal.

11-Nov-17
If I am reading this correctly walker just took away late late season metro bowhunting.

If that is the case it is BS. Just like the no minimum hunting age law he signed. Pure BS.

11-Nov-17
Gee I am not happy, with that, I love the extended season to the 31st by my house in Washington County..... Especially this year, if I work hard in rehab, I would be ready those last two weeks to hunt this year.....

the cdac is crying all the time, to shoot does, but now they take away the longer metrol season?

am I reading this right? Maybe someone can clarify,,,,, God forbid you kill a buck that may have shed his antlers early, which I think is a really rare, happening....

No reason for spring hearings, Kleefish is our rule czar now, along with Hunter Right Coalition. In many ways I supported HRC, in the past, because of some of the dumb rules we had in the past....

11-Nov-17
Just curious if anyone knows when the new bill for the young hunters will go into affect?

I need to get my grandson some blaze orange diapers......

11-Nov-17
While some will agree with the hunting age change, my wife and I do not and my poor kids will have to wait until at least 12 in my house to carry a gun in the deer woods. I personally will never set foot on public land again though, I value my life more than I trust every parent to make the right choices.

11-Nov-17
Good points all. Chief- I agree. My kids are going to wait. This law is ridiculous.

I really hope I am reading it wrong. Taking away days is moving in the wrong direction.

11-Nov-17
Kevin and Mike,,, I just made a call to my cdac representative, for Washington County,,,, He is very disappointed in losing 3 weeks of bowhunting, in the metro area, and although it did not pass, they wanted to get the whole county in it, or change some boundaries to clean it up, but decided to wait on that,,,,,,,,

What is frustrating to him, is that if this was being proposed, you would think they would have given the cdac a heads up earlier, so they could discuss it, and maybe challenge it,,,,, He is dumbfounded that it just came out of the blue,,,,,

11-Nov-17
Mike--made me laugh!

11-Nov-17
Yeah, lets take away more hunting time, I wish someone from the WBH, in the know, would give a reason for it

11-Nov-17
If anything the metro seasons should have been extended, if your giving everyone 5 tags to include 2 metro tags a longer season should be justified

11-Nov-17
Duh, yeah think,,,,,,, You can not fix stupid.................................

11-Nov-17
WBH will just say they fought the good fight, look at all they have done for bowhunting blah, blah, blah...

11-Nov-17
WBH will just say they fought the good fight, look at all they have done for bowhunting blah, blah, blah...

11-Nov-17
Well I am glad we got that woodchuck issue solved, that sure was a crisis

Mike F.... you need to buy your grandson "pink" diapers

11-Nov-17
Ground Hunter no need to be rude remember I'm on your side

11-Nov-17
Chief,,, that's what I mean't,,,,, your absolutely correct, I was referring to whoever implemented the bill, to get rid of the longer season,,,,, stay well

11-Nov-17
Just because it`s passed as a law doesn`t mean it`s mandatory. Each parent makes the decision to do what is best for their kids. Not sure what the problem would be....by looking at this forum it can`t be a concern of wounding deer.

11-Nov-17
I absolutely love the metro hunt! Best time to clear your mind!!! This is ridiculous!

11-Nov-17
so do they refund tag money on unused tags? I Bought 4 oz county tags for a suburban site that I've pulled deer off in the past after I can't hunt my other spots. The way I see it, anyone with unused tags (that could have been used in metro zone, archery buck tags included) should now be entitled to a refund. I like walker but not happy about a shorter season. Maybe they'll start a metro spearing season for last few weeks. My household has gotten pretty used to stocking the freezers with suburban venison the last week's of January. Those metro areas with to many deer are much easier to harvest from after the holidays when neighbors aren't outside much who may object if they knew what was happening.

11-Nov-17
I talked to Walker at a Beer & Pizza bash during his run for office . Sorry I voted for him . He's a classic politician.

I wonder if the NRA was involved in lowering the age for hynting . How did they say that during their push for crossguns, Oh yes . " expanded hunting opportunities .

11-Nov-17
SUCH a great point, Northbound! I called the DNR earlier, albeit the customer service people, and they knew nothing about the laws changing. The said they would call me back with answers.

11-Nov-17
One way to eliminate something is to take it away a little at a time so no one notices. I'll call it now.

11-Nov-17
This smells of the Hunting Rights Coalition,,,, them idiots should never take away hunting days,,,, who made kleefish our new hunting czar, ashamed to be a republican, they are a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,something smells

11-Nov-17
Just heard from a guy from our club, it will be brought up, at the monthly meeting and lot of guys are going to ask for tag money back,,,, lots of guys and gals around here, hunt late season in January, a lot of land opens up

12-Nov-17
No need for the longer metro season now that our toddlers can hunt.

The additional hunters should make up for the shortened season.

Sound management here folks!

^ facetious

12-Nov-17
Toddlers , condo stands, bench rests, and crossbows. Archery has a bright future here in our state......

12-Nov-17
Until you folks start voting differently our bright future just gets dimmer and dimmer.

12-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Would've been nice to know about that June hearing.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Would've been nice to know about that June hearing.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Heres Moulton's mao. Seems like Terry Moulton took the lead on reducing the metro season.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Heres Moulton's mao. Seems like Terry Moulton took the lead on reducing the metro season.

12-Nov-17
If they had a public hearing on June 1st, where were my cdac reps, WCC reps, etc who have told me, they knew nothing about it..... I am going to get on that cdac board, someone needs to be more aware of the issues....

I am on a e mail campaign, and just sent a respectful e mail to Kleefisch, asking why, they would eliminate 3 weeks of bow hunting.... I sent that to him, at least he hunts, I can assure you most of them do not

12-Nov-17
Retro is correct.

Bowhunting has a poor future in Wisconsin. Bowhunting is already tanking and will continue to decline. The diaper brigade was our last hope..... and they are beginning their hunting future with scoped crossbows and vise mounts in box blinds.

Go Woodchucks!

12-Nov-17
Which would have less recoil for my 18 month old grandson, my 30-30 or my 30-06 with a muzzlebrake? In all seriousness I'm not a big fan of parents deciding the age. A lot of parents will handle the situation properly simply because they want to make the right decisions for their kids. But there will be a few that shouldn't have been parents in the first place let alone make these decisions.

12-Nov-17
I'm really losing it over the loss of weeks of suburban freezer filling. I've had a rule for myself to never take more than one deer from any area I hunt as I can always fill tags in suburban areas with the late season. This may tilt my attitude to the 'screw the gun hunters' and kill every baldie on public land I see early season. Especially if you guys think this shorter bow season is in part a result of a gun hunters lobbyist. The few extra days of pheasant hunting sounds great. This year a little sad for me personally as I lost my best friend and hunting companion of 15 years yesterday. Best dog I could have ever hoped for. Hasn't flushed many birds in the last season's but the truck and recliner is real lonely without him. Woodchuck, I've been killing those for years as I thought they where considered varmit digging under my sheds-opps. No hunting age- I'm ok with it, feel age isn't what it should be about. Obviously toddlers won't really be hunting, some are likely ready at 8 while some won't be ready till much much older. If something should regulate it, I don't feel age is the magic cure. Then again I don't know what is the prefect deciding factor. As mentioned on another thread, maybe the approval of a hunters safety instructor?

12-Nov-17
northbound that was a great post... Sorry for the loss of your dog, I have buried quite a few,,,, my present grouse dog, has been sitting around lately way too young... I agree .with the pheasant and trapping extention, that makes sense...... I have been shooting chucks for years, all on private property,,,, if that was important to some, well I am glad they have it,,,,,, just do not understand taking away any days we already have, sounds like going backwards......

12-Nov-17
"Assembly Bill 455 – This bill eliminates the requirement that a person be at least ten years of age to hunt under the hunting mentorship program, leaving it up to parents to decide." My question is about the hunter safety program. Is it still required and how does the DNR issue a DNR number so that a youngster can acquire a license via the internet?

12-Nov-17
Sportsmen for Walker. Working just great isn't it ? That goof, along with a few others have made it perfectly clear that WI. has no goals, or future with regards to hunting.

12-Nov-17
Wi politicians will do anything for $$. They believe more hunters equals more $$, until there is no deer and kids get burned out from starting to early. Tradition and safety is gone in this state.

12-Nov-17
In the order Kevin listed them, the following is my take on these bills.

Bill 528 was needed to prevent adults from filling a mentored youth tag.

Bill 455, I was all for no minimum age so no more need be said.

Bill 225 I have no problem with, other than the shortened metro season. Don't understand why this was done but would like to know the reasoning for it.

Bill 323 I really do not understand. I'd also like to know the reasoning for this one.

All in all, not really a big deal, other than the shortened metro season. I can only guess this was done to keep all the archery seasons with a uniform close date?

12-Nov-17
Wondering if the new "hunters" need to have completed potty training or finished breast feeding??? What next-no minimum age to drive? A 3,000 pound car can be as lethal as a .270. IMO-LC

12-Nov-17
LC, you will have to ask their parents as it will be up to them to decide.

12-Nov-17
Captain Mike,,,, I already sent e mails out to legislators who sponsored this bill,,,, I contacted cdac member, yes there was a hearing on June 1 but no one knew about the season being cut,,,,, I sent an email to the WBH also on the matter.....

NEVER,,,, take away hunting days,,,, I hope you and other members into the NRB will look into this, I can not believe the NRB did not know this was coming, what the heck is going on,,,,,

If anything, Washington County as a whole should be in the metro,,,,,, I have heard today from all kinds of metro hunters who are not happy, and want an explanation,,,,,

12-Nov-17
well this is all I can say,,,, I voted republican all of my life,,, now I will loose hunting days, and am about to get really screwed on their new tax system,,,,,,,, I think I will just give up on them

13-Nov-17
I was banking my whole season on the late season metro hunts, after some life events occurred throughout this fall. I'm not to thrilled about the shortened season at all.

13-Nov-17
Boy, listening to most of you, you would think the sky is falling and end is near. While I agree about losing metro hunting days (even though I am no where near those areas and really doesn't affect me), I don't see the same bleak outlook. The only things affecting the youth in our camp is extended sports seasons and other related pressure. Will have 5 kids in camp sporadically (due to other sports and school commitments) next week. All good kids and 3 of them are dedicated archers. Possibly even 1 other new addition due to the new bill. He has been brought up right from day one to hunting camp and is one of the biggest sticklers for safety that I've ever seen in a kid. I'm gonna keep focusing on the positive and our camp will continue to do what we can for the future of hunting.

13-Nov-17
Novice +1

13-Nov-17
I just got off of the phone with the WDNR and found out that all four of those laws went it to effect today. Just wanted to put that out there, because I did not see a date that it went live in any of the stories I read about it. I have an eight year and I believe he is to young yet, so I will not be mentoring him this year for sure. I am not a fan of the fact that we could both carry a weapon while I am mentoring and would not carry one. If I choose to mentor him, I believe all of my attention should be on him and making sure he is safe and makes the most ethical shot he can. Just my two cents worth. Good luck and a safe hunt to everyone this week and for the Statewide deer drive.

13-Nov-17
Novice you miss the point,,,,, is it going to end the world, of course not,,,,, but I have been around for awhile..... I have fought for hunting rights and trapping rights for years, thru a lot of avenues......

Once you give something up, you will not get it back...... I will always fight for hunting and trapping, because it needs to be protected.....

By the way I got a nice response from the NRB board this am, and will get back to me on this, and reasons for,,,,,,,

Also Novice, do you make deer mgt based on wildlife science, well I do,,,, lots of metro areas, like this hunt,,,, and we do not bother anyone,,,,, again, will it break me, no, but I expect to never let hunting days go away..... Because someday, it will be something else,

13-Nov-17
There is not a politician in this state that cares about deer, hunting, or hunters. They care that we vote, but only enough to give us a little lip service.

13-Nov-17
Well I got a nice response today, from Klefisch office and Milroy office.... They also do not want to loose hunting dates..... They stated that first of all the DNR brought the metro areas, to their attention, and an amendment is going to be drafted at this time, to allow the DNR to keep metro hunt dates, due to sound deer management.....

Also the law does not go in affect, until Feb 1 2018, so you lose no days this year,,,, they anticipate, some push back on this, and agreed that hunting days should not be lost, and believe they should be expanded.....

So I thanked both offices, and they were glad, that hunters are standing up for themselves.... So no matter what your politics are, you can not sit on the side line and complain..... Writing letters, making phone calls, does make a difference,,,,,,

Get involved and stay vigilant........................

13-Nov-17
Thanks Razor and everyone else that reached out!

13-Nov-17
Ground hunter, first off I would like to say I hope you're recovery is going well and wish you the best. I think you missed where I said I agree about metro and not losing hunting days. That is not good. I've been hunting for over 30 years myself. So, have seen a lot as well (good and bad.) Attended spring hearings, contact my reps, have club memberships, etc. I was just saying it's not all terrible. We as a whole need to emulate the positive (and reinforce it) and not just focus on the negative. The way many here portray it as if the parents are selfish too and will be the one shooting with a youth or looking at it as an extra tag. Further from the truth in our camp. Ever since my young hunting partner was able to hunt, I've spent my time focusing on him and his success. I make sure he's taken care of first, have him go to the preferred spots, have him help eith eork, camp chores, etc. I'd much rather see him shoot something than myself. Thats what our camp is about. Not sure what everyone else does.

13-Nov-17
Amen Razor! Hunters have been apathetic for so long. I have always said, fighting from a defensive position is much more difficult. Hunters need to be engaged.

13-Nov-17
Novice, once again, you are spot on!

13-Nov-17
Novice I agree with your post,,, your kid is lucky to have a father like you,,,,

I had no problem with letting the parents decide, and extending the pheasant season which just makes sense,,,,,,,

Milroy's office intent is to get more hunters in the state, and get our youth involved, which I agree with

13-Nov-17
so the wdnr says today for the law going into affect...kleefish and miloy say feb 2018......good to know everyone is on the same page at least

13-Nov-17
I just got off the phone with the DNR,,,, The metro seasons have not changed, as of this season. What has gone into effect today, was woodchuck hunting, the lifting of age limit on hunting, and the junior tag law, and mentor law,,,,,, So I was told I could bowhunt, in late January,,,,,

13-Nov-17
Badgeralum- " I have an eight year and I believe he is to young yet, so I will not be mentoring him this year for sure. I am not a fan of the fact that we could both carry a weapon while I am mentoring and would not carry one. If I choose to mentor him, I believe all of my attention should be on him and making sure he is safe and makes the most ethical shot he can."

Are you talking of mentoring or mentor hunting? I started mentoring my kids at about 3 years of age, started with bringing them along turkey hunting, bear hunting, squirrel hunting and coon hunting. I started mentoring them for deer hunting when they were about 5 and let them come with for opening weekend when they each turned 7, you can start to mentor your kids, or others kids, at any age. You mention that you have an 8 year old son, I hope you mentor him this year, if he isn't ready to "hunt" yet, just keep 1 weapon with you and let him focus on you and what to do in certain situations.

Good luck to all of you that mentor and take part in the mentor hunt this year!! My youngest daughter will be doing her final year of the mentor hunt this year.

13-Nov-17
Thank you very much for the clarification groundhunter/razor. I really appreciate your passion for looking out for the sportsmen/sportswomen best interest.

13-Nov-17
I also got personal e mail response today, from Klefisch and Vinehout. Klesfisch explained everything to me, and was glad I asked, I have to give credit and kudos to those respresentatives,,,,,, This story is now ended....

13-Nov-17
Can you share his response?

13-Nov-17
I propose a new law requiring hunters weigh at least as much as the deer they will be dragging out of the woods.

13-Nov-17
Smokey. Come on. There not to many 3oo lb white tails running around the north woods!!! WELL not the kind I want to tag !!!!

• Sitka Gear