Novice 17-Nov-17
Cheif 17-Nov-17
Novice 17-Nov-17
xtroutx 17-Nov-17
Jeff in MN 17-Nov-17
12-Nov-17

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
I'm on my own tonight. Collin is with a friend and big Brian is chasing booty. I'm in a new spot maybe 150yds north of where we were yesterday and this morning. I'll call it the highway because I'm literally a nine iron away from a busy highway and you can see by the sat photo that the deer have worn a highway into the field where they cross it.

12-Nov-17

The wind is perfect for this spot and there were two doe laying in the middle of this field as I walked in.

12-Nov-17

smokey's Link
I have to work a few days this week so no more bowhunting for me until Dec. Here is a video I posted in the video section. I think it is the first time to the rodeo for both of them. Video quality is degraded with the upload. It is better on my PC in HD. I am not sure what I could do to show original quality. I won't be posting the video of the one I shot since the camera view was blocked by a tree and you couldn't see the hit.

12-Nov-17
and for those that gun hunt i hope you liked last year's opening day cause it's looking the same for this year's opening day

12-Nov-17
I saw the same two does that ran off when I was heading in on my way out. I know there are three different female deer using this small area so it's certain that within the next week or two one of them will come into heat.

12-Nov-17
Sat from dawn til 930, saw small buck chasing an uninterested doe, they came through 5 min after I sat down that was it. On the upside father in law shot a nice doe and my kids helped track it so not a bad day in the end the kids got in the woods!

12-Nov-17
Sat from 1:00pm till dark. Nothing but squirrels. Neighbors started shooting about 3:30. After that I really didn't expect to see anything but always hopeful.

12-Nov-17
Sat from 11 to dark. Saw 2 squirrels and alot of birds, that's it. I was pretty confident after having 5 deer within 15yds on Mon & Tues and passing on a fork buck. Depending on my work schedule, I might be able to get out Wed afternoon.

12-Nov-17
yep tis the week to use up last year's ammo so they can go get new ammo

12-Nov-17
I work Monday and Tuesday and then off through Thanksgiving. So I have 3 days left to get it done.

12-Nov-17
Hit one about 4:50ish tonight. He busted me but my saving grace was a doe that walked 15 yards away from my stand so he forgot about be real quick. Was gray hair where he was standing, found a blood trail starting 10' away. Followed steady blood spray in the snow for maybe 100' and decided to go to town to get dinner and a couple drinks. Heading back out now to find him!

12-Nov-17
Good luck Rookie - hope you find him!

12-Nov-17

Rookie's embedded Photo
Rookie's embedded Photo
Got him! First arrowed deer. :D

12-Nov-17
Awesome job Rookie!

12-Nov-17
Way to go rookie, the first one is the hardest to come by. Easy street for you from now on. Smokey, nice video. I thought they were gonna get X rated.

12-Nov-17
Great job Rookie.

12-Nov-17
Good for you! Way to go! As the others said, the first is the hardest,...you next one will be easier. Congratulations on getting a fine buck.

12-Nov-17
Congrats Dan!

12-Nov-17
Congrats rookie!

12-Nov-17
My observation is that the shooters are mostly locked with does and to kill one you have to be on the doe routine or major trail between bedding areas. Expect a rutty gun opener.

13-Nov-17
Awesome rookie!!

Saw 3 does, a spike and I'm guessing a small eight walking behind a doe. They both seemed disinterested.

13-Nov-17
Congrats rookie!

13-Nov-17
Cograts Rookie, nothing like the first deer!!

13-Nov-17
Sat till 9:00 and didn’t see anything. Saw Some does out feeding at 2:30 in the fields on my way to rifle sight in. Saw 4 does and a spike dogging Saturday afternoon at last light.

13-Nov-17
Sunday AM: some fresh tracks in the new snow while walking in in various spots. Some cruising buck trails. No deer seen on stand, bumped two fawns on way out, cut some new tracks as well in a spot I first thought to hunt...

Sunday PM: sat another trail I knew was fresh the week prior that does use to get to bedding areas. Lots of fresh tracks in the new snow. Saw 6 deer, two forkhorns cruising through, two does with no bucks chasing them, and at sunset saw a big bodied deer cruise through about 100yd out. While walking out in dark bumped a single big bodied deer that just trotted off a little and kept cruising, likely a decent buck as well.

Monday AM: Wind switch, decided to check an area I have killed deer but wind was wrong all season. ZERO deer sign in there, very disappointing. Eventually had a small 6pt come walking in creek water after he heard me crunching leaves, he popped up at 20yd to check me out. A couple other small bucks had been cruising the area, just single sets of tracks in the snow going random directions.

13-Nov-17
I snuck out for the last hour of light tonight. I'm in the same place Brian and I were on sat evening. The single doe I've been seeing was already up and feeding. She let me walk right past her on my way in.

13-Nov-17
Great job Rookie. Got out with only 1.5 hrs to spare. As I'm shutting my vehicle off, out pops a 2.5 yr old 8pt. Looks around and then nose to ground. I actually walked right behind him staying within 40 yds the whole time I was walking a logging road to my stand. He never looked back once, but did pick up the pace. Only 1 nubbin buck seen from the stand.

13-Nov-17
Well done on your first deer!

13-Nov-17
I spent today in the woods I hunted in Iowa armed with a sprayer full of Triclopyr and diesel fuel. I did the same about this time last year and got most of that woods covered then. I finished out the whole woods today. Only found a couple of BT in the area I treated last year. I saw a TON of deer sign in the area I did not treat last year or treated in a hit and miss fashon just to thin the BT out quickly as it got dark, that part of the woods is thick and we seldom go into it. I made a mental note of a couple of spots to look into putting up a stand in the future. Basically intersections of interstate highways.

Then went to another parcel owned by the same person and found zero buckthorn there. Yippie. I did walk up to a bow hunter hunting in a tree on the property line looking at an unpicked cornfield. That must be hard to see anything much less get a shot. He waved, I gave him a thumbs up and walked away from him.

On the way back to Minnesota I almost hit a small buck near the Iowa woods we hunt. Then when I got home I almost hit a doe 100 yards from our driveway and almost got rear ended at the same time.

14-Nov-17
The woods I hunt is thick with buckthorn. My question is why the need to get rid of it? I see deer eat it all the time as they are browsing through, it offers great cover (maybe too much)? I get it, it's an invasive species, but I just don't know how you'd get rid of it forever? It's everywhere!

14-Nov-17
Heading out for a quick morning hunt before work. I'll be sitting from 545 to 7:20.

14-Nov-17
Rookie - Congrats on your first buck. They'll come easier now after you have one under your belt.

14-Nov-17
A coyote with a beautiful coat just came out. He busted me drawing.

14-Nov-17
Pete, I was invited to hunt a buddies farm this past weekend. His wooded hillsides had areas that were overgrown with buckthorn. As you have already noted, those were the areas where I saw the most deer. They bedded in it and they browsed in it.

14-Nov-17
The point with buckthorn is that it will take over the woods and crowd out the native species. It is prolific with birds spreading their seed as a gift to your neighbors. Yes the green leafs this late in the season are attractive to wild life but they somehow lived forever without it. They still have plenty of grasses, crops, and other leafs that still hold some green to supply some food for the deer. When you are on the road this time of year just watch the wooded areas and you will see how widespread it is.

14-Nov-17
Not to hijack a thread, but people need to very VERY serious about understanding why buckthorn is damaging. It is not untrue it offers cover for deer. Like JeffinMN states, they survived before buckthorn.

Buckthorn and other exotic invasive species crowd out native species. Once native genetics are gone, they are gone. Look above the canopy of buckthorn. Those trees will not last forever. Once gone, there had been NO native regeneration. No more timber, no more nuts for animals. All that is left is a sterile landscape that is susceptible to errosion. Seeing buckthorn for deer habitat is exactly what is wrong. It is a sign of very poor land management.

Those that let buckthorn take over will eventually be left with worthless property...but they will have a bedding area for deer. Want deer bedding, then let native prickly ash take over time he hillside.

Look beyond today, buckthorn is going to continue to damage the wooded areas. We owe it to our future to be good stewards of the land we own, work with neighbors to educate them, and volunteer on public lands to remove buckthorn. Will you eradicate it, no. However, making your property more diverse will help keep buckthorn at bay. You want to have great deer habitat, get rid of buckthorn and make sure you invest time in getting nut trees established.

14-Nov-17
Treefarm, nice explanation.

14-Nov-17
Good job on the BT spraying and the heads up driving Jeff.

14-Nov-17
Sat Monday nite . 1 8 point & 16 Turkey s .

Will spend all day Tuesday working on Deer rifles . Every year a bunch of busy people wait until the last minute to call with gun issues . Most are simple fixes .

14-Nov-17
Get out there....some nice big bucks are starting to be killed. They are looking for the last hot doe. Pretty flat up til now....still time.

14-Nov-17
Yeah Franklin, I'm pissed at myself. I was done early enough to sneak out for an hour and didn't go. Hot shower, hot chocolate and pajamas won out. I should have gone hunting.

14-Nov-17
Thanks for the explanation. The land I hunt, is not mine. I'm not even sure I'd convince the landowner that it was a good idea to get rid of it. Interestingly, I misidentified it for waaaay too many years as cherry. I am no arborist, but I can identify most trees and bushes, and feel a bit stupid that I didn't know what it was. I'm not kidding, it is everywhere here in Southern Wisconsin. I've got several along my property line that butts up to a farmer's field. I figured they were simply small cherry trees, because I have some monsters on the property line. Then one day, I looked at the round leaf, and compared it to the other, and did a little search. Low and behold I misidentified that tree for over 35 years. One other point. The berry crop this year was unbelievable! Black Walnut, and acorns were also bumper crops.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not lying. I bet I have an averge of 10 trees per 15 square feet.

14-Nov-17
Same here Pete. It's everywhere on the land I hunt. I didn't realize what it was until this year. I would like the complete step by step instructional in a thread on here or a you tube in how to remove it.

14-Nov-17
I would be happy to hold a workshop on proper methodology of converting land from buckthorn infested to productive native timberlands (very simple).

I equate it to eating an elephant one bite at a time. It can be done but must be done methodically. I wrote a magazine article on just that and it has guided many landowners to success.

For those who drive north to south, south to north in this great state in late fall...that will show you what it is looking like without buckthorn and with buckthorn. The difference is profound. If you are nearly buckthorn free, you will see why you need to stay that way. 50 years is all the time it took (most areas) to go from buckthorn-free to buckthorn infested. Euraisian milfoil of the woodkand!!

14-Nov-17

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Holy smokes there are two bucks in the world with that goofy 'drop beam'. See pic.

I got out for the last 4 hours today, perfect wind for my favorite stand. Watched 3 button bucks for over an hour within 30 yards the whole time. Had a 5 pointer come in and head for the button bucks, one of the little ones did not like the 5 point but then followed the 5 point when he walked to my left. Later had a 7 point come into range. At one point I did a can call because I thought I saw a buck but that got the button bucks to focus on me, I would have been toast if I had to raise the bow with the button bucks locked in on me. Then at sunset I had a spike and what I think was a doe come in. Just then I felt a brief shift in wind, as often happens at sunset, it blew toward the spike and he went running with the doe following him.

I should add, those button bucks were browsing most of the time they were by me. With buckthorn around me they were eating native stuff. Go figure. Take a drive east / west across Wisconsin on 21 this time of year and you will see how infested Wisconsin is. You can spot it easily at 55mph. Most DNR stations across Wisconsin have a good brochure that talks about BT and how to get rid of it.

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2017/10/Buckthorn.PDF

14-Nov-17
Treefarm, I know you've been on here several times giving your advice. I always assumed it was someone else's problem, in fact, I'd say it's everyone's problem.

We had Dutch elm disease take out a good piece of the property, and now those elms are replaced by buckthorn for the most part. It is so thick, I leave it for the deer to bed in. You called it. I have some old oaks, hickories, cherries, and walnuts in there, but very few young trees coming up to replace these monsters.

14-Nov-17
Interesting yet discouraging night. Got out this afternoon for the first time in 2 weeks, checked the camera to find zero pictures taken.

Once I got in my stand I could clearly see a large circle of tall grass had been matted down about 30 yards from my stand and camera. I climbed down to investigate and found a dead doe completely devoured except for the head and feet. Hair and bones scattered everywhere. No clue how it died, but something clearly found and had its way with it.

There have always been predators in the area and I always have deer movement, but I’m sure the carcass is why deer have avoided the area. Unfortunately that has always been my go to gun stand as well, may have to think about switching it up this year.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

15-Nov-17
70..... no pics? I would think the yote's that probably consumed that deer would have triggered a few pics. I am surprised that you had no deer pics. Usually something like that wouldn't totally spook the deer away from the area. I would suspect something with the camera. Any chance you forgot to turn it on?

15-Nov-17
Camera was on, there were actually 3 pictures taken, but all were of me walking up to it yesterday so it seems to be working fine.

It seems a little fishy. I do share the land with extended family. No one typically wanders out where I hunt, but with gun opener this weekend it's possible someone was scouting for a spot to sit. The only think I can think of is someone was out there recently and messed with the camera possibly clearing the pictures. I won't be out again until Saturday AM, so we'll see I guess!

15-Nov-17
all day monday, Had some does come thru in the am. About 3pm had a beautiful 10 pt coming straight towards me, he got about 35 yrds from me and started to circle me..no shot. About 10 min later a doe pops out right alongside of me, low and behold here comes the buck. She bound of and he chased her..again no shot. 20 min later she is back, and I can see him coming again. She had 2 directions to go and of course she choose the one that keep him out of range. This game went on for about an hour on a little 4 acre strip of hardwoods. I was disappointed but it sure was fun. It just goes to show how hard it is to get a big buck in range and have an ethical shot. Was out this morning and nothing but little does. Gonna try again after getting some lunch. With gun season starting sat. my size standards will drop today and tomarrow with an empty freezer. good luck everyone, be safe.

15-Nov-17
Jeff in MN, what brand of sprayer do you use for your diesel/garlon mix for basal bark spraying? The cheaper metal one I used had its seals ruined by the diesel in one use. Also, any insights into getting forest regeneration in areas with high deer density other than fencing/tubing? The only non-caged plants that live at deer level in my Waupaca Co property forest are buckthorn, Japanese barberry and raspberry bushes. Thanks.

15-Nov-17

Jeff in MN's Link
Wak, I replied in the thread with title of: Invasives are giving them selve's away.

The link should take you there. Lets continue buckthron discussion there.

15-Nov-17

Collin and I are out hoping to at least see something. Beautiful evening though.

15-Nov-17
I did not get out today. Had dentist and annual eye exam in the morning and it was quite windy and cold tonight. Call it I am a wimp, or a little burnt out, or freezer overflow, or all of the above.

I did watch 3 adult doe and 2 fawns running around on my lawn/apple orchard like kids at a playground as I was doing bowsite stuff. Fawns were doing most of the running.

15-Nov-17
sat in the hardwoods again tonight, deer everywhere. 4 mature does,2 with twins still with them. 3 bucks chasing 2 of the does that were single. All this was in the last 11/2 hours of light. I couldnt keep track of all the deer around me in every direction. I had 7 deer surounding me at one point in time. Lots of fun but no shots.

16-Nov-17
Sat this morning from 5:40-7:30. I saw a total of four does. It seems odd to me that I've seen does nearly every sit in this area and haven't seen a buck hanging around, moving through or harassing them at all.

16-Nov-17
Big Brian and I sat for the last hour of light tonight. Nothing seen. I don't have to be to work until 10am so I can sit until 8:30 tomorrow morning. I think tomorrow is going to be the day.

16-Nov-17
Go get 'em Crusader!

16-Nov-17

I sat the last 7 hours today. Perfect very lite wind for the stand which does not happen real often, has to be east. I got skunked, oh well tomorrow will be another day. I have pics of probably over 10 different bucks on the 2 cameras in this area. Only one I would be interested in is this normal size 10 point that is missing a G2. Hope he doesn't tempt me.

16-Nov-17

GoJakesGo's embedded Photo
GoJakesGo's embedded Photo
Frown....

17-Nov-17
Sat a couple hours this morning before work. No deer and hardly any other activities. Thought I may have heard some turkeys fly down and saw a squirrel and a hawk. That's it. Was very windy.

17-Nov-17
Pierce county, on my way home around 4, 35-40 deer in the fields saw the biggest buck of my entire life g2 were at least 10-14 inches. All bucks were chasing does hoping tomorrow the action keeps up

17-Nov-17
Was going to sit last couple of hours tonight, but it was raining too heavy. Don't mind a light drizzle, but wouldn't have been able to dry my clothes out for tomorrow's hunt. So, took a drive at 4:30 and saw a ton of deer. Guess they didn't mind the rain.

17-Nov-17
Sat this afternoon,had one doe with 2 little ones come thru. Slow afternoon...all I got was a wet ...........

17-Nov-17
Only sat the last 3 hours Friday. Saw one buck fawn just before quitting time. Drizzle off and on all afternoon and evening.

• Sitka Gear