skipmaster1's embedded Photo
Two seasons ago I caught a glimpse of a nice chocolate rack 7 pointer with huge brows on a neighboring property. I didn't think much of it, other than it was a good deer to see. Last season I saw him bedded with a doe while I was driving to a doctors appointment. I spent the next week playing cat and mouse with him over three different properties in the area. Then he just vanished. I had been listening to both the Wired to Hunt and The Nine Finger Chronicles podcasts and the idea of seasonal patterns kept coming up. It hit me like a sledge hammer and I realized that this buck only appeared in this area sometime between the 8th and 16th of November. I spent all year thinking about this deer which I named Count Chocula. I kept pressure off of the area I thought I would have the best chance at this deer(assuming he was still alive). When this week came I focused on trying to connect on him by getting aggressive and sitting the same stand 3 sits in 3 days. It was a spot where 4 funnels come together like a cross. The first two sits I passed 4 younger bucks and at 2:35 on the third sit Count Chocula made an appearance chasing a doe and I made good on the opportunity. The cool part was that after I shot him, the Doe came back in looking for him. Another 7 pointer came in, checked out my buck and proceeded to breed her! The state aged him at 6.5-7.5 years old based on tooth wear. I know that's not exact but the timeframe seems about right. I'm going to send out a tooth to see for sure. I have exactly one trail cam pic of him from last year when I was after him and a shed I believe is his from when he was 3.5. This whole adventure was just so crazy, in still in awe that I was able to get an arrow in this secretive monarch. Everyone thought I was crazy to try for a buck that might not even be alive. In total I passed 13 bucks this season prior to shooting him.

12-Nov-17
Does anyone know why the pictures are all sideways? Is there a way to turn them?

13-Nov-17
Who cares , side ways or up side down, AWESOME buck and story !. Actually it's pretty amazing how you figured him out.It was like you were chasing a " ghost" ;)

13-Nov-17
Greg, that's fantastic and a great accomplishment. Thanks for posting.

13-Nov-17
Congratulations! Awesome buck and an awesome story to go with it!

13-Nov-17
Congratulations! thanks for sharing, great story.

13-Nov-17
Congrats! Very nice buck and story!

13-Nov-17
That is a great story and a great buck! Way to be patient. Congratulations.

13-Nov-17
Saw this on NYHC. Great buck and even better story! Congrats on a well earned buck!!

13-Nov-17
wow what a buck

13-Nov-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
yes theres a way in the green bar with your name it says edit photos. not sure if it comes up on the phone or just the computer. Yup those sideways pics drive me crazy too.

13-Nov-17
sorry it says image tools

13-Nov-17
He stayed a 7 pointer from two seasons ago?

13-Nov-17
Thanks guys. I'm pumped. Yeah, he's been a 7 pointer for the last 3 years. He just gained mass and a little length, although his brows might actually be just a touch shorter this year. I'm absolutely sure it's the same deer though. Ive found through following certain deer over time that they quite often keep the same rack configuration after 2.5 or 3.5

13-Nov-17
That is an awesome story!!! He’s a great buck. Congratulations. You did a great job.

13-Nov-17
Awesome story and congrats on a great buck!

14-Nov-17
Congrats on a great buck!

16-Nov-17
Fantastic 'mate, and thanks for the story! I agree, there is something about bucks being in certain areas very close to 365 days apart.

• Sitka Gear