Grasshopper 19-Mar-18
14-Nov-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
CBA Banquet will be held in Ft. Collins Colorado on March 16 and 17th, 2018. See attached flyer.

Paul Navarre, CBA Banquet chairman

15-Nov-17
Looks like three great speakers, I may have to attend this year. Thanks for the post Paul!

30-Nov-17
ttt

01-Dec-17
Looking forward to this. And love having it in my backyard!

01-Dec-17
I'll be there!

04-Dec-17
My wife and I will be there too Paul.

04-Dec-17
My wife and I will be there too Paul. I can't bring my Unit 2 bull mount. It was very difficult to get it in the house and would be impossible to get it in the truck for the trip to the banquet.

04-Dec-17
Merle, your bull is EXACTLY the kind of mount that would be wonderful for the banquet and the banquet is just up the road from your house. Come on.

05-Dec-17
I'm planning to be down. Will have to see what I can do about brining mounts.

Who is handling the display this year?

05-Dec-17
Dave Stone, trophy registration and info, ie, [email protected], deadline, Feb 25. The actual display is handled by Gerald Rasmussen, [email protected]

05-Dec-17
HOpe to see y'all there! Thanks for all your work Paul

05-Dec-17
The CBA banquet registration form is now on the CBA website. See CBA home page ( can be found on the Bowsite.com, CBA state conference page, click on CBA logo on the upper right side of the page) and scrolling message bar. Wait for the banquet message to scroll by, and then click on tab. This form will also be printed in the Jan/Feb CBA Newsletter and that newsletter will be out in late December. The majority of participants will register on line.

my best, Paul

06-Dec-17
This will appear in the next CBA magazine.

CBA membership,

With the 2017 -18 CBA banquet coming in March, I want to remind and encourage everyone to participate in the CBA Awards Program. The following note outlines the CBA Awards Program rules for all awards submissions. An important point is that I must receive all award submissions by February 24th, 2017. It takes some time to process this information, make slides for the slide shows, and to order the plaques. Please send your best digital photographs for the slide shows and displays. Do not hesitate to contact me with questions.

CBA Big Game Awards: To enter an animal for awards consideration, it will need to be scored by a P & Y or B & C measurer (not SCI, or any other method), however not necessarily registered with either of those organizations. I will need copies of the following: The complete official score sheet signed by the hunter and measurer (front and back), I will also need the complete Fair Chase Affidavit (front and back), OR a copy of the P&Y Awards certificate if applicable.

Trophies do not have to meet P & Y minimums to receive an award, but they do need to be officially scored (see above), and all the above paperwork sent to me via email to: ([email protected]) Only animals taken in the current year are eligible for awards - with the exception of cougars that haven’t yet been scored due to the required drying period. These exceptions are normally entered the following year. Generally, only the current year’s trophies are displayed at the banquet. Exceptions are usually made for trophies that have not been previously displayed, (usually due to taxidermy not being completed) or other reasons (a special display, etc.) agreed upon by the Trophy display committee, including the Big Game Chairman. Only CBA members’ trophies are accepted for awards and display at the banquet. Unlike P & Y, we don’t charge a separate fee for recognition. The awards and display is to recognize our members, not the public. If there is a tie for one of the top 2 places, we only give 3 awards. Thus, a tie for first would result in two first place awards and one third place award. A tie for second place would result in one first place and two second place awards. Obviously, a tie for third would result in four awards – one for first, one for second, and two for third.

Continued - Other award rules for your consideration:

FIRST TIMER AWARD: To submit a bowhunter for a first timer award, please send me the following information: • First Timer’s name and address: • Species taken: • County / state / location the species was taken: • Date of kill: • And of course, field photo(s) for the Awards program slide show

CBA special achievement awards: Big 8-9-10 The pursuit of all Colorado species continues to gain in popularity as bowhunters from across the state strive to complete the Colorado Big 8, Big 9 and even the Big 10.

The CBA Big 8 was created to recognize Colorado bow hunters who have taken the following Colorado big game animals (either sex) with bow and arrow. If multiple animals of the same species have been taken, simply list the first one. (There is no specific order the animals must be taken and fair chase is implied)

Colorado Big 8: Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn, Mountain Goat, Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Black Bear, and Mountain Lion

* Entries may include either male or female animals of the species. * Animals do not need to not need to be scored or meet any minimum score requirement. * All animals must be taken in compliance with the regulations and laws of the State of Colorado.

At that time, (When this award for this special achievement was created) if a hunter drew and killed a Colorado Desert Big Horn Sheep that would qualify for the Co Big 9 providing the hunter already had the original 8 animals.

Shiras Moose was not added to the Colorado Big 9 until the early 1980's.

Of course, if you kill both a moose and a desert sheep along with the original 8 species the hunter would qualify for the Colorado Big 10 achievement award.

For a bow hunter to be recognized and enter their accomplishment, please write a letter / or email to the CBA Big Game Records Chairman: Dave Stone [email protected]

I will need the following: Name, age, and address of the hunter. Date each Colorado species was taken with bow and arrow.

For the last species taken, please list the 'approximate time' along with the date the animal was taken (in case of a draw the time will be the tie breaker for the award completion record number)

Please include a field (or best available) photograph(s) of the hunter with each species taken.

Big 9: * Meet all Big 8 requirements listed above; and, * Successfully take either a Shiras Moose or Desert Bighorn Sheep. Big 10: * Meet all Big 8 requirements listed above; and, * Successfully taken both a Shiras Moose and Desert Bighorn Sheep in either order.

You must be a valid CBA member in good standing to receive an award. Your (hunters) signature represents your (hunters) compliance with the rules of the program.

BIG GAME Trophy Display: This year in addition to the 2017 Big Game trophies, we are encouraging all CBA members to bring their 2015 and 2016 trophy mounts to the banquet. Especially if you did not have the chance to display your trophy at last year’s banquette due to the location or just not getting them back from the taxidermist in time. Let’s try to make this year’s banquette Big Game Trophy display one of the best ever! If you just want to display a mount, please contact: Jerald Rasmussen [email protected] Jerry will be coordinating the mount displays for this year’s banquet.

Jerry needs to know the type of mount:

Wall Mount: • Antler • Euro • Shoulder • Pedestal • Free Standing • Rug

Thank you, Dave Stone CBA Big Game Chairman / Membership Director

06-Dec-17
Bringing your Big Game trophy to the 2018 CBA Banquet in Fort Collins

We are encouraging all the successful CBA bow hunters to bring their big game mount(s) to the Banquet in Fort Collins on March 16-17th, 2018. For your trophy to be eligible and entered into the CBA Big Game Awards program (top three scoring animals in each P&Y category) for Colorado, you will need to have your animal measured by either a Pope & Young or Boone & Crockett official measurer.

P & Y’s web page for measurers (a list is attached below too): https://pope-young.org/records/find_measurer.asp

B & C web page for measurers: http://www.boonerockett.org/bgRecords/records_omlist.asp?area=bgRecords

The official Colorado measurers are listed below. Some P&Y measurers require the animal to be entered and will only complete the scoring of your trophy if you are going to have it registered with P&Y.

The CBA is compiling a list of Official Measurers for our members who do not have this requirement. The following P&Y measures we have contacted do not have this requirement: Joe Bradley, Tim Bradley, Barry Smith, Grant Siggins, Ron Rockwell and Ron Sniff.

Note that Pope and Young requires the following to measure: 1. The head or skull must dry for 60 days at room temperature, for skulls this 60 day s period starts once the skull has been cleaned. 2. A Fair chase Affidavit printed on one sheet of paper (front and back) that is filled out signed and witnessed. Has to be original and not a copy. 3. First page of the score form with all the information at the bottom of the score form filled out (hunters name, address, date of kill, county of kill, state of kill, Email address, phone number etc.). 4. Three photos of the antlers or skull (right side, left side and front or top for skulls) 5. A field photo of the hunter with the animal if they have it 6. P&Y requires a check or cash for the entry fee $35.00 in case it meets the min score for entry.

Dave Stone is Chair of the Big Game Awards program. He will need all official measurement documents by February 24th, 2018. This is a strict deadline and due date to allow time to complete the awards selection, order and validate plaques, and create the Big Game awards presentation. Please see his except on the CBA Awards Program for the 2017-18 Banquet and registration form in this magazine.

MEASURER PHONE CITY UPDATED Moline Michael B. Home: 303-655-8151 - Work: 303-462-3744 Brighton 8/24/2017 Grebe Stan A. Home: 303-423-6819 - Work: 303-279-2640 Broomfield 10/16/2015 Yoder Stanley J. Home: 270-542-7190 - Work: 270-772-1809 Canon City 6/20/2016 Rockwell Ronald Home: 303-880-0625 - Work: 303-977-4976 Castle Rock 1/18/2017 Fief Ron Home: 719-658-0145 - Work: 719-658-2526 Creede 11/14/2016 Hargrove Scott Home: 970-349-2055 - Work: 270-209-2281 Crested Butte 12/16/2015 Gardner John L. Home: 970-247-2013 Durango 1/16/2017 Archibeque Ted Home: 970-471-0302 - Work: 970-328-6020 Eagle 8/21/2012 Waechtler Don Home: 970-945-2270 Glenwood Springs 1/19/2016 Verzuh Jay Home: 970-245-6293 Grand Junction 5/17/2017 Johnson Ryan Home: 970-641-1076 - Work: 970-209-6495 Gunnison 9/24/2012 Gray Cliff Home: 650-804-5712 Gypsum 5/19/2017 Siggins Grant Home: 970-946-6730 Hesperus 4/20/2016 Smith Barry J. Home: 970-725-3534 - Work: 303-919-2755 Hot Sulphur Springs 9/7/2017 McCoy Ron Home: 970-872-4422 Hotchkiss 10/12/2015 Bradley Joseph A. Home: 970-420-3771 Loveland 11/20/2015 Kline Lee Home: 970-667-9919 Loveland 8/9/2017 McCauley Doug Home: 970-323-6270 Olathe 6/26/2017 Watts Tom J. Home: 970-264-0990 - Work: 575-756-4597 Pagosa Springs 7/20/2017 Foster Eugene F. Home: 970-929-5189 Paonia 6/5/2017 Sniff Ronald E. Home: 719-948-4442 Pueblo 7/27/2017 Olson John R. Home: 719-588-7021 Watkins 3/29/2017 Anderson Chuck Jr. Home: 970-472-4335 - Work: 970-250-8293 Wellington 2/28/2017 Bradley Timothy Home: 970-556-9298 Wellington 9/19/2017 Black Bob Home: 970-241-4544 Whitewater 7/29/2016 Stults Chris Home: 970-630-3316 Wray 8/24/2017 Stults Gregg Home: 970-332-4514 -Work: 970-630-0584 Wray 12/23/2015

12-Dec-17
Good stuff...

17-Dec-17
If I’m not out of town for work, I’ll be there. Looks like fun.

05-Jan-18
I have attached Schedule of Events and Registration form to my first post. Registration can be completed on the CBA web site. my best, Paul

05-Jan-18
We have tentative commitments from CPW director Broscheid, wildlife commissioners John Howard and Marvin Mcdaniel to attend - so if you have questions, concerns or suggestions you can't go any higher than that.

09-Jan-18
ttt

26-Jan-18
just a reminder

27-Jan-18
Strange that you need a P&Y measurer to qualify for the Big game award. Yet you can take females and baby animals and still qualify for the Big 8,9,&10

27-Jan-18
Qualifying for 1,2 or 3rd place for a big game animal, like elk, deer, sheep,etc, based on antler or horn measurements is different than just adding another animal for the big 8,9 or 10..be it male or female.

28-Jan-18
Sent you a pm, WWW.

14-Feb-18
"Strange that you need a P&Y measurer to qualify for the Big game award. Yet you can take females and baby animals and still qualify for the Big 8,9,&10"

Why is that strange? Female animals of a species often qualify for a Big Game award and P&Y/B&C qualification...such as bears, cougars, and mountain goats to name 3.

14-Feb-18
I think the same way as Ziek just kill a sb-adult

animal to get your name in the book it just looks bad to me ?

14-Feb-18
Can someone tell me the difference in how an animal is measured when comparing SCI, Pope and Young? The taxidermist that I use to use was a P&Y scorer so he did the scoring on my bear, antelope before he gave it back to me. However, I have used several different taxidermist who were not P&Y scorers and, as a result several of my bow taken animals never got scored. I do have a friend that is a Master Scorer for SCI and that friend came over and scored my Unit 2 bull elk which came to 349 5/8th. There aren't any P&Y scorers that I know of close to me so as a result, my elk, Mtn. Lion, Mtn. Goat, white-tail and mule deer which were all taken with a bow have not been scored. Is there a difference on how they measure or is it just two organizations snubbing each other?

14-Feb-18
SCI is the gross score of the antler/horn

PY and BC is net side to side difference for the total

14-Feb-18
I'll be there during the day. Gotta see if the old lady wants to stick around for the dinner. Lookin forward to meeting some of the fine folks of Bowsite!

14-Feb-18

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
Paul, I called Michael Moline who lives in Brighton and is a P&Y Scorer. He said that he will come over to my house and score my bull. I have several picture of the bull which I will either send in or bring along to the banquet along with the score sheet. It took 4 of us to get it into my house with the back siding door removed. Even then, parts of the habitat got broken off. It will not fit in the back of my truck inside of the shell. I wish that I could bring it to the banquet but as you know, I had a 11 level lower spine fusion in July and I am having quite a time with it. This is the best I can do. Heck, I killed a big female mountain lion a year ago and it is still at Jonas Brothers waiting to be mounted. It has not been scored either.

15-Feb-18
BH, if you are going to enter it for the Banquet you need to call Dave Stone and submit the info to him. Paul

17-Feb-18
Banquet on March 16 and 17. Time to register and make a room reservation. If you have a trophy to display, Contact Dave Stone. We have tons of Live and Silent auction items. Also kids raffles.

my best, Paul

20-Feb-18
Paul,

You mentioned something at the BTB Banquet about buying tickets thru the website and a clitch of not being able to note what type of dinner you'd like. I personally don't care if I get beef or chicken, but I do want to buy some tickets. Can you share with the group, best way to purchase? Thanks.

25-Feb-18
Will there be a way to bid on the auction from Pa.? I wont be in CO. that weekend :(

bill v

25-Feb-18
Sorry Bill, No but, If you had a friend bid for you that is attending the banquet, that would work,,,but they would have to pay that evening. Paul

25-Feb-18
Thanks paul I'll check and see if anyone is going.

Bill V

25-Feb-18
These folks have no respect for tax accountants when they schedule these things.... Need to reup my three year membership. Have the bill here just need to send it... Good organization even when I complain...sometimes complain..

16-Mar-18
Heading over for the social hour momentarily, who else is going to be there? Always like meeting new folks and visiting with old friends!!

16-Mar-18
See y’all in a few

16-Mar-18
headin over in the mornin!

16-Mar-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Met up with Wayne Carlton

17-Mar-18
How much did you charge Wayne for the photo op?

;-)

17-Mar-18
Good meeting some of you guys today!

17-Mar-18
Have fun guys. I won't make it.......sucks. But a day spent with family takes precedence.

Someday I will get to meet some of you jerks in person. ;)

Is there a Spring get together for Turkey Season kickoff planned?

18-Mar-18
To Paul, Evan Peters and all the other hard working volunteers, congratulations on executing an outstanding event! Great job!

18-Mar-18
Did the NF moose hunt sell? How much? pm answer if preferred.

Thanks bill v

18-Mar-18
$3200

18-Mar-18
The family and I had a great time as well. Thanks to all those who put the event together. We're heading out to the range shortly to test out the new kids' bow, for whatever reason my youngest isn't so much into shooting his bow but is now begging to go. Thanks CBA!!

18-Mar-18
The family and I had a great time as well. Thanks to all those who put the event together. We're heading out to the range shortly to test out the new kids' bow, for whatever reason my youngest isn't so much into shooting his bow but is now begging to go. Thanks CBA!!

18-Mar-18
Thanks to Paul and all who did the work. Sorry I couldn't attend, my son's team was in the State championship hockey tourney this weekend and we just had too much going on.

19-Mar-18
The CBA banquet was a great success, and while I kept the ship on track for the past year, it was all of the volunteers who raised their hand, and said, "how can I help"? Without their willingness, their passion, their energy, their commitment to make this one of the most well run and successful CBA annual awards banquets, none of this would have happen to the degree it did happen. I am humbled to work with them all. my very best, Paul

19-Mar-18
Great banquet and nice meeting many of you. After bowhunting in CO for 35 years, finally became a member. Seems like a great group. My bad in waiting so long.

19-Mar-18
Nock, it was great to finally meet you, and welcome to a very valuable organization.

19-Mar-18
Thanks to Paul, Tricia, Evan, Roger, Gerald, all the volunteers, speakers and CPW staff who helped out! Also, congrats to all the award winners! The cba is alive, doing well, and getting better.

• Sitka Gear