JLeMieux 15-Nov-17
Copperhead 15-Nov-17
JLeMieux 18-Nov-17
14-Nov-17

JLeMieux's embedded Photo
Let me preface this by saying this is my 6th year hunting KS. I've had a few missed opportunities on good bucks over that time and just have not been able to get it all to come together. I have let countless young deer walk and it's not about just filling a tag. Nor am I at the point in my bow hunting career where I am holding out for a monster. I usually let the situation dictate whether I want to shoot. If there is any indecision or 2nd thoughts I'm usually going to pass, but if a deer gets me excited I will try to make it happen. This year on my first sit in KS I was able to get it done. I had a lone doe pass under me pretty early in the afternoon but nothing followed. It was fairly uneventful until about 45 minutes to dark, a doe stepped out across the field from me. Right behind her out popped the buck. From that distance I couldn't tell much about the rack but saw he had a decent sized body.

He tried pushing the doe around the field some but she wanted no part of it. He eventually fed away from her and made his way towards my end of the field. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it to me in time, but all of a sudden he quit feeding and walked across passing in front of me at 20 yards. I wasn't sure on the shot so I snuck out and decided to wait until morning to start tracking. It got down to 24 degrees that night and coyotes haven't seemed to be a problem in this spot in the past.

After a short 60 yard trail I found him the next morning. I have to say it was a little emotional. 50+ days of hunting in KS to get one. I realize this wasn't an old deer or even close to how big they get in this area, but I know I made the right choice and feel like I can hold out for something more mature next time. Let's face it, I'm definitely not a stranger to tag soup.

220# (on the hoof) 8 pt

14-Nov-17
Nice deer, congrats. What part of the state were you hunting?

14-Nov-17
Nice, you should shoot what ever gets your motor cranking

15-Nov-17
Thanks guys. We're in southern Ks.

15-Nov-17
I own and hunt 40 acres in the south eastern part of Kansas.

18-Nov-17
I envy you having your own piece of ground.

We came home yesterday. No other kills in our group of 4. We usually average 1 buck in the group each year. I think 2 of the 3 had good bucks in range but no shots. The 3rd saw a few good bucks but none in range. Still a great hunt and a blast as usual. Everyone we met was generous and kind as always. We have developed a great friendship with one of the local landowners and he got his annual delivery of venison burritos. Can't wait to do it again.

• Sitka Gear