Tip of the week 11/14/17

14-Nov-17

One Arrow's embedded Photo
11/14/17 - hunting a creek crossing between to UN-CUT soybean fields. The creek is running low, so the deer have about a hundred yard stretch where they can easily cross. If it was up just another foot or two, they normally cross within 25 yds.

Haven’t hunted much during the peak rut... been sitting in a combine or working on it.

The slow harvest has really hampered my ability to hone in on the core area of a good buck. These deer are bedding in these fields... most of the beans are chest high.

14-Nov-17
Cool spot, good luck bud!

14-Nov-17
Thanks Kyle... had an enjoyable sit. Saw some great deer movement early and a lot of chasing. Been a few years since I’ve witnessed this much activity. Hopefully I can post a video soon.

Saw an old forkhorn that I would be tickled to shoot. First time I’ve ever seen him in the daylight... guessing him to be 7 years old. Also had an upper 130’s 8 point come by at 3:10.

14-Nov-17
Good luck Ray, glad you are getting some tree time.

15-Nov-17

Got into my stand late today. 3:00ish... about 2 hours later than I like to be in the stand this time of year. My dad needed help with his cattle.

Had a good encounter with a 4 year old the last 10 minutes of legal shooting light. Snort wheezed and acted like a thug. Only thing is he would of scored maybe 110”... 7 point.

Fun evening.

15-Nov-17
Thanks Randy, the soybean harvest has really been hit and miss. Getting our son to school in the morning had made it almost impossible to hunt an entire day... difficult to get into any sort of routine, but I enjoy the alone time.

18-Nov-17

Back in the woods 11/18/17. Not where I want to be, but the wind dictates my sit... always.

Found a nice surprise in the road ditch on our property (Bag of “Wildlife Corn”, complete with bullseye logo). Along with the increase in beer cans, I’d say rifle season is near.

18-Nov-17
Damn littering dolts! Good luck Ray, hope today's the day!

18-Nov-17
No luck, but had a beautiful sit. Saw a buck that has some serious potential and an old fork horn that I would love to shoot... couldn’t call him in.

Very “deery” in the woods this evening. I could literally smell the rut.

18-Nov-17

AM sit - had does all over me this morning. They tried hard to pick me out of the tree, I was in an odd position and was afraid my knees were going to give out... had them at 5 yds. They did get nervous after about 15 minutes and quickly left without blowing. I think they saw my knees shaking:-)

18-Nov-17
I see far more corn bags and litter from bowhunters on public land. Most Rifle hunters have no need for the scent bombs and corn

19-Nov-17

11/19/17 PM sit - not sure when my last hunt before rifle season will be... this could be it.

Weather looks favorable for us to finish bean harvest... hope we can get several days of good weather to get them out. I think we can cut again starting tomorrow.

I should probably be putting the combine back together rather than hunting, but I’ve got shoplights??.

19-Nov-17
Jason, I have never seen the feeding as bad as I have this year. I know of several people within a mile of where I’m sitting now that run feeders year round and they don’t use just corn.

Rice bran, apple flavored corn, molasses powder... a couple guys are having their feed ground and mixed for them... to the tune of around $10,000 a year.

I can’t compete with that, but I’m going to have to change some of my convections. Probably going to have to put some feeders up... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

My wife and I have been debating back and forth on whether to just lease everything out. She’s still jobless and honestly I could probably go on an elk hunt every year for what people are paying for leases. My passion for this is deep... worth more to me than money, but the irritation of constantly dealing with road hunters and the increasing pressure on property lines is wearing on me.

I’ve totally digressed. No more posts about junk like that.

19-Nov-17
I apologize for my last post. My quest for this One Arrow is bigger than my frustrations.

I’ve got small problems...

Just received word that one of the children that my arrow carries a letter for has received some horrible news... Two more tumors have been found.

19-Nov-17
I had a cool encounter with a bob cat... you’ll have to watch on my Facebook page titled “One Arrow”.

I don’t have another way of sharing video at the moment... haven’t had time to create a YouTube account.

Beautiful evening... only saw one young buck and a few does.

20-Nov-17

Videoing hunts is a learning process for me. I’ve got two small cameras, that take decent video.

I’ve started positioning them so they are on my two most likely shot opportunities. I built the tree arm attachment out of PVC pipe and it seems to work prettt good, but I do have to ratchet it to the tree as the step it’s mounted to wants to rotate.

The last few hunts I’ve been using trail camera arms to hold the cameras... I’ve modified one to fit into the tree arm. I haven’t gotten use to the bulkier tree arm.

Very much a learning process and getting wildlife on camera brings a whole other element, challenge, while bow hunting. I’m enjoying it. Hope I can pull off the footage and a good shot when/if the time comes.

26-Nov-17

One Arrow's Link
Hunted this morning... got busted by a coyote! I’ve been winded by them several times in the past. However, never in my life have I had one bark at me for 45 minutes within 50 yards of my tree stand. I was hunting an area that borders a pasture and that coyote got the cattle worked up so much they came charging into the woods. Sounded like buffalo... needless to say my hunt was over before it ever started.

Back in the stand this PM. We rarely work on Sundays, but today we decided to cut the last of the soybeans before the chance of rain on Tuesday evening. Helped my dad put the header on the combine and he told me to get out in the woods. Didn’t argue... last time before rifle season starts, unless we can get the beans all out tomorrow.

I’ve enjoyed this bow season very much. Hunted a new property, actually witnessed the rut, and had some good encounters with a couple bucks with potential. First year in several that I got to really enjoy bow season... the well timed rains during harvest helped.

A buck I was hoping would make it was shot by an outfitters client sometime during archery season. Didn’t even try and go after him, you could tell he would have been a true whopper, but that’s the way it goes. I do believe this is the last season I will have to deal with them. Farmers around here are starting to wise up to their ways.

I’m going to really put out some cameras as soon as rifle is over.. seems like a i get a couple new bucks on camera after rifle. Maybe I will still have a chance for a buck worthy of this arrow.

26-Nov-17
Had a good old buck come in to 50 yards this evening. Bedded down and didn’t get up until after dark. Definitely would have tried to get him had he given me a shot.

• Sitka Gear