Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Reggiezpop 14-Nov-17
ground hunter 14-Nov-17
Franklin 15-Nov-17
Franklin 15-Nov-17
Aushegun 15-Nov-17
14-Nov-17
We've talked a lot about how we stay warm when the mercury drops. What have you all noticed about deer movement when it's cold out? I can't say I've bowhunted when it was real cold. Do the deer stay bedded to conserve energy? Move around and feed more to stay warm and gain energy from feeding? Let say cold is single digits or lower, and we're talking about late season after the rut has passed.

14-Nov-17
Reggie that buck I showed you at my house is my best bow buck, he scored 152, for those who care....That deer was shot, when it was 9 degrees, and at 1030am.... It was sunny and no wind,,,, I was in a cedar tree no more that 8 feet up.....

Prior to that, we had several days of below zero weather, and wind. I had no idea that buck was in that cedar swamp, but I did know there was a ton of deer in there,,,,,

late season, weather breaks, I hunt,,,,, my best times are mid day to maybe 2pm after that, I have seen little,,,,, Now I am talking cold weather, not weather in the 20's which to deer, is not cold....

late season too me, food source and bedding area, and a weather break after some extreme weather, is something I like.......... Steady weather, nothing outside the box, deer in my area, come out after dark,,,,,, a lot of pressure has been on them....

Up north a different story,,,,, my experience, I am sure others will give theres

I like to hunt cover, I like to be in a stand, and that stand is hung low, both for cover and wind chill........ Hunting on the ground in late season is actually harder than early season, due to scent distribution, in the colder weather, and snow, is not rain.... I like rain to wash areas clean, snow does not of that

In pressure areas, I do not like snow,,,,, it tells others where I am at,,,, and you might think I am nuts, but better bucks, look at those prints also,,,,, again I know that sounds crazy, just something I believe in

15-Nov-17
During super cold periods on a food source at the tail end of the season is the best hunting there is. Deer will move much earlier up to 1 to 2 hours before dark...they stay in their beds in the morning then come out and feed mid morning sometimes. They don`t travel very far and they use less routes to get to the fields. The hard part is getting in without them picking you off. It`s food and save energy mode.

15-Nov-17
During super cold periods on a food source at the tail end of the season is the best hunting there is. Deer will move much earlier up to 1 to 2 hours before dark...they stay in their beds in the morning then come out and feed mid morning sometimes. They don`t travel very far and they use less routes to get to the fields. The hard part is getting in without them picking you off. It`s food and save energy mode.

15-Nov-17
I find that deer seem to bed closer to food sources during times of colder weather. Because of this it can be hard sneaking into those stands near the food sources. I've found a fair amount of activity in the after noon, and also mid morning, but early morning seems to be pretty poor in cold weather.

• Sitka Gear