Dmac 16-Mar-18
Dmac 16-Mar-18
Dmac 16-Mar-18
Thornton 17-Mar-18
Dmac 17-Mar-18
15-Nov-17

Leebo1963's embedded Photo
Leebo1963's embedded Photo
I just received a text that this buck was shot in Kansas today. Does anyone know anything about it?

15-Nov-17
This ain't real.

15-Nov-17
Third main beam sticking out of eye socket, with five fingers growing off of it, looks suspicious ;?)

15-Nov-17
Nice deer!

15-Nov-17
I have heard a rumor that a new potential state typical bow record was killed this last week around olsburg. Have not seen a picture yet, so far just a rumor.

15-Nov-17
It was posted on smoky valley sporting goods Facebook page so I would assume it was somewhere around lindsborg but who knows.

15-Nov-17
If it were real that dude's smile should be a lot bigger.

15-Nov-17
(the hunter, not the buck).

15-Nov-17
Buck is real, killed in McPherson County this week.

15-Nov-17
Wow

16-Nov-17
is the guy real? what's wrong with his hand?

16-Nov-17
I looked at the hand wrong too, on my phone, it's just resting on his leg. That's a heckuva a buck, wish it was a better pic...and that he wasn't doing the "arm stretch" pose(as if it needs it) but a giant no doubt!

16-Nov-17

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo

16-Nov-17
nice coon. 15 pounder?

16-Nov-17
Oh no, I was so hoping he actually hunted this deer...still am

16-Nov-17
the deer's legs look like he's a Shetland pony

16-Nov-17
What Kyle said.

16-Nov-17
The long armed picture did a good job of hiding that little G4/weird point on the left. I was going to say G7 on the right is a little short for me as if I have ever seen a deer with a separate point as a G7 before while hunting. : ) Giant Picket Fence Typical for sure.

04-Dec-17

aceout's embedded Photo
aceout's embedded Photo
This is the picture I received with the notation that it was taken in McPherson County . Different hunter, different background, not sure it's the same deer?

04-Dec-17
That buck was up by Ottawa, hunter is from Garnett.

04-Dec-17
What does that thing score?? Looks like the spread and beams are 30" :O

04-Dec-17
Said, by a scorer, to green net around 200 NT..

05-Dec-17
I hate trying to guess a deer from pictures. I would have never guessed he would score NT from all the pictures I have seen. Only one angle given... and to me it only looks like one point, maybe 2, would be NT. Guess if they are long enough it would qualify as NT.

Doesn’t matter, that is a stud... love scoring, hate judging them by their score.

05-Dec-17
Would think it would be well over 180 net typical then? Any reason you couldn't score it both ways? I have a hard time believing that's not a top 20 typical buck in the history of Kansas. Would be cool to see some more pics.

05-Dec-17
It could be scored both ways. Only issue with that is B&C "All Time" typical minimum is 170. 195 for NT. Whichever score is highest gets mailed in.

05-Dec-17
Is the scorer reliable? Ha Ha!

05-Dec-17
Yessssir ! I measure for both B&C and P&Y.

05-Dec-17
And no.....I do not score photos :)

05-Dec-17
Like Reid I didn't see that NT point either. Hid well in the field pics.

Regardless of how they hunted or didn't hunt in some of your opinions, there have been a crazy amount of giants killed this year.

Corn piles and cell cams are what whitetail hunting is or has become in Kansas and other big buck states where it is legal imo. Follow Facebook Hunting and Fishing page if you are in the anti baiting crowd and really want to get fired up.

Has anyone went to the KDWPT commission meetings to discuss baiting and banning it? On more than one occasion? Back when I was more opinionated on the subject I discussed it with Lloyd on several occasions but never got anywhere. It was easy to get discouraged and give up the fight. If the past has told us anything with the commission, and legislature it is the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I hate to say it, but after rifle I will likely get the failure piles going. I love to hunt deer but I also like to kill deer and in late season baiting is effective. Maybe I will get lucky again like last year and kill a buck a long ways from any corn pile, but if I don't so be it...Kyle will still be my friend I bet:)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but figured we need to liven this place up a little:) lol

Matt

06-Dec-17
Matt pretty well sumed it up, however, with the continued spread of CWD, I would not be at all surprised to see some effort within the next few years to limit or eliminate baiting.

06-Dec-17
I would hope that is the case Marvin. Unfortunately an opportunity was missed imo when CWD was first identified in KS. Should have started with making baiting illegal in the counties where CWD was found, but I was told that it was too prevalent of a practice to enforce. I just shook my head.....same could be said with many laws imo, yet they are still in place.

06-Dec-17
You hope that baiting is eliminated, but you are planning to bait in the near future in the name of killing a deer????? You sound like a democrat who doesn't want tax cuts but won't pay the higher tax rate after the tax cut goes through....

06-Dec-17
I’ll add my two cents since Matt got the ball rolling. Threads like this make me laugh anymore. Same goes for the posts on Facebook where guys throw up a picture and want details on a big buck. Unless I know the guy I couldn’t care less about some of these bucks anymore. We’re to a point in Ks these type of deer should be killed every year. Access has been limited so greatly and a brainwashed generation has been led to believe manipulating every possible factor in a whitetail’s life is the default way to “hunt”. Cell cams, corn piles, food plots, travel corridor/bedding area manipulation, etc. create a manufactured experience. Guys can now sit on the couch and stare at their phone, not to decide when to go hunting, but when to go kill. I can say I’ve become rather numb to seeing bucks like these.

06-Dec-17
Well Patrick if you can't beat them join them;)

In all seriousness, at the end of the day we all can kill one deer. It is up to each individual to decide how they want to do that. Could use a .223 or a 50 cal(if legal), a compound, trad bow, or the derogatory crossbow, can hunt over corn, sit in a tree, use a decoy or walk 35 miles....at the end of the day everyone gets one buck tag.

I only pointed out the state had an avenue to end feeding deer and didn't take it.

I was critical of baiting in the past and it still isn't my prefered method to hunt but I invest many hours and 1000s in fuel trying to kill a deer. That is my goal every year and bait is another means of achieving that goal.

Matt

06-Dec-17
Exactly KB! The main reason I have quit bow hunting. people can purchase what ever they think will improve their chance at a kill, screw the overall pleasure/thrill/satisfaction, of getting it done on your own. That easy game as I here it called, as brought so many people into the "easy game" it's overwhelmed our state. Money hungry failure at deer and hunter management. STILL, interested in seeing all the mass, but more interested in knowing the how it was done part of it.

06-Dec-17
Chief, if you love bow hunting deer why would you give it up because of what other people do? It should make you want to fight harder for what you believe in! Besides that I could care less what other people do, as long as I still get enjoyment out of it. I'm just saying don't give up what you love without a fight.

06-Dec-17
I can put you on a 100 inch 2-1/2 year old...unbaited...fully guided....best of all free. Guaranteed to shoot a deer in less than 2 days. Give me a call.

06-Dec-17
I wish you could see the tears on my face right now Cherney12.

I may never get over your post. :) :) :) :) :) But thanks anyway.

06-Dec-17
Dunno, Charlie . Heard the guy who did the green score has no experience ! :-) (He’s one guy I ask questions of, and never doubt or argue.)

06-Dec-17
Michael, I meant to ask earlier...I assume you are talking about the McPherson county buck or the Garnett buck? Know some heavy hitters in tbe scoring world scored the Garnett buck.

Matt

06-Dec-17
What was the typical score?

06-Dec-17
Never ceases to amaze me that nature can grow that much bone in a few months. Beautiful bucks for sure!

06-Dec-17
Chief already killed all his monsters

07-Dec-17
I still smile Jason when I think of the time I watched thru binoculars at you stopping and your wife getting out and running off a couple of fawns hanging around the road. What you don't know is that just as you were crossing the Ladd bridge there was a pickup stopped and was getting ready to shot one of them and you scared them off. Yup, makes me smile...

11-Dec-17
@ bucks shot in last couple days 220" and 239",I'm afraid theres not any real proof that feeding causes CWD to spread after all Texas feeds more deer with more feeders and has for longer but doesn't have issues with CWD and theres probably hardly any feeders in the western states that do have CWD.Deer are very social animals and lick and rub against each other all the time.You sure don'e want the Fish and GAme to start treating us like some of the states up north with deer being killed so they don't maybe die from CWD

12-Dec-17
8 x 7 rare indeed

12-Dec-17
Why are corn guys so afraid to learn to hunt?

12-Dec-17
I’m With kB. I found a great place to hunt on my back 160 but a tree fell down and caused the deer to walk right by my stand. Then the neighbor had a foodplot pretty close to my property so because all of that manipulation I decided it would not b fair chase and hunted up by the road on the ground

12-Dec-17
Thanks Chief! I hated to see such a small deer end up as camp meat. I've gotten soft as I got older. I don't shoot fawns and I don't shoot does with fawns if I can help it.

13-Dec-17

Dmac's embedded Photo
Typical 14 with forks
Dmac's embedded Photo
Typical 14 with forks
Here is my typical 7x7 with forks . Had sheds from 3 years on him.

13-Dec-17
Beautiful animal, congrats on that!

13-Dec-17
Dmac was that a high fence deer. I know Texas has alot of fences so I am just wondering.

13-Dec-17
Here is my take on it all. No buck tag until you get a hunters safety card. Nr youth need to qualify as well. No game cameras after August first No baiting or manipulation of lands to attract wildlife No scopes allowed on any primitive weapons season bow or muzzle loader Outfitter s must be permitted allowed only so much leased ground for their permitted area. Smaller Gmu for rifle and no extra units allowed.

Let's start managing today for what we want tommorow. Today we manage our wildlife like a credit card with 20% interest. Let's max it out and pay the bill later no matter how costly it will be.

13-Dec-17
i was born nov. 1957 had to get hunter safety to hunt ks. back in late 70s as a nr. The rest of youre ideas im all for i see no diff between food plots and feeders any one says diff is full of sh1t

13-Dec-17
feeders are harder to hunt than plots deer that come to a feeder are spooky , you set up on a trail coming to a plot they have no idea . Hunt wild woods no plots or feeders or shut the hell up

13-Dec-17
Welcome to America, Matte.

13-Dec-17
When Kansas passes a "wildlife" tax like the Mo Design for Conservation then you might be able to pay for that kind of intense management. Pluses and minuses. Good ideas though.

13-Dec-17
The MO wildlife is the envy of every wildlife agency, don't know how they ever got the 1/8 cent tax but is was a winner.

13-Dec-17
Montana has very similar plans as far as no cams, plots or feeders. No wonder they are turning out Giants and new records. Give the wildlife a chance to live to their fullest potential and the results are outstanding. However the targeting of the best of the best genetics will eventually be noticed.

13-Dec-17
Liktohuntovercorn. You're wrong. If you were right, every guy on here would be planting food plots instead of hunting over a 10' wide pile of corn. Unless you hunt 1 acre parcels, there are a lot more places for deer to enter a field. My 3 acre food plot has multiple trails and my 10 acre plot has about 30 trails.

14-Dec-17
The MO conservation money is great! However, when it becomes political with a tax every St. Louis lawyer thinks they have a say in something they know nothing about. On the whole the tax is positive, but you would be amazed at some of the shenanigans that have occurred since its implementation. Actually, you probably have a pretty good idea about what money does to politics.

14-Dec-17
jason youre full of it, 10 ft pile of corn? what are you talking about. I hunt 260 acres of black jack with cows running on it couldnt plant plots if i wanted to. Im sure with all youre cams you know where all youre deer are i use no cams have one feeder throwing about 100lbs a month birds and varmits eat that much i hunt more wild than any of you hunting food plots

14-Dec-17
I fully admit I cheat all the time! Food plots, warm weather clothing, wind apps, blinds made out of something other than natural materials, steel tree stands, etc. Hell, I've used a compound bow for the last 30yrs which in my mind is just as much cheating as a crossbow. Corn is corn, there is no amount of pounds that puts you over the line. 100lbs a day or 100lbs a month... Either you do or you don't. My hunting is anything but wild! ;)

I would like to see KS go back to a draw system for tags and limit the number available. This whole "meet demand" thing sucks. I would also love to see them eliminate the any-season tag. Make a decision of what season and what weapon you want to hunt with and stick with it. None of this buying a crossbow and hunting archery season, then holding out because you know you still can hunt with a rifle. As far as limiting equipment already used, it will never happen. Manufactures have too much to loose to let lawmakers go backwards. $$$ runs deep. Also get rid of the Jan. doe season and move rifle season back a week. :)

Back to the original post; that is a monster buck (I'm sure someone will argue that it isn't really that big because that is what internet people do)! I know nothing else about it.

14-Dec-17
My nr tag is good for bow only i cant gun hunt that is only good for res hunters. It boils down to res. hunters HATE nrs unless youre a outfitter

14-Dec-17
I don't disagree with you liketobowhunt. I grew up with closed borders. When KS opened the borders things changed A LOT for the residents and it mostly benefited the outfitters and property owners. I would rather it be like it was, but it's not. With that said, I've helped many NR hunt the same property I hunt. Showed them stand sites, trail cam pics, and gave them all the info I had about deer movements. They are generally good guys and very like minded as me. That doesn't mean I like loosing hunting spots to them but I can't blame them for coming, and I can't blame the owner for grabbing easy money.

14-Dec-17
Jason we only hunt priv. land owned by my buddys dad who has had it for 35 yrs we dont step on anybodys toes

14-Dec-17
I'm not blaming you directly. I'm good with whatever the situation dictates. I have to make good with what ever situation is available at the moment. I just deal with it and make it the best I can, I've got no reason to get mad about things I can't change. Like I said above, you and I are probably like mind as we like to hunt deer and I can't blame you for wanting to take a road trip every yr and shoot deer outside of your normal stomping grounds. With that said, I think most of the "hate" you experience from residents comes from the guys who lost hunting land when the borders opened.

14-Dec-17
i understand i passed a lot of 2 and a half to three yr old deer this year and didnt fill my tag i have no problem with that i just like to hunt with my ole buddy been friends for over 55yrs its about huntin not killin have a great christmas buddy

14-Dec-17
Nobody hates "Plad the impaler"...except well maybe the Red Cross?

14-Dec-17
I've got a buddy (we grew up together), comes up from OKC every yr to hunt, eat steak, and drink a couple of beers. He seldom shoots a deer but we have a blast. Good luck to ya the rest of the yr.

14-Dec-17
If that feeder is only running during hunting season, that is a lot different than habitat manipulation including food plots.

Do more species benefit from habitat improvements or bait?-

14-Dec-17
Oh wait, my apology. We only care about deer.

14-Dec-17
im feedin coons, oh by the way i didnt kill any of youre precious deer, could have killed a few but didnt want to hurt any feelings, you poor guys are so thin skined. this shit is frickin funny

14-Dec-17

liktobowhunt's embedded Photo
this will be my set up next year

14-Dec-17

maybe this

14-Dec-17
oh by the way im sure youre planting food plots all year long, frank. i dont know how them damn deer lived without you guys all them years before us nrs started coming up there and feeding them all that CORN

14-Dec-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
I don't know when you sat on the cob and got all riled up, but blackjacks themselves are an excellent place to hunt. The deer leave my 50 acres of beans every fall to feed on the acorns a mile away. I don't see them come back for several weeks. Since you seem to be the best biwhunter on here, do you ever hunt with no stand, corn, or trees?

14-Dec-17
Im to old and beat up to walk like that or i would be bird huntin instead of deer hunting. By the way i never proclaimed to be a great hunter. i do like huntin our place but after acorns are gone its tough with all the cows

14-Dec-17

Anybody know the story on this Ks buck? I heard it was mounted with sheds from somewhere in SW KS and it's score is 218". That would make it the world record had it been shot

14-Dec-17
thats clippers wall reconize it any where

14-Dec-17
Who is clipper?

14-Dec-17
I would never mount that dinky Texas deer!

14-Dec-17
It's not "clipper" it's been hanging on a gunshop wall between McPherson and Salina

14-Dec-17
Looks like it's about to fall off sideways?

14-Dec-17
Just joking Thornton. Nice deer, ugly mount!

14-Dec-17
Yes, I do plant stuff for all year long. Have as an example 4 acres of standing beans with rye grain and over an acre of brassica. This will get them through the winter. Clover and beans for spring and summer.

TSI, edge layering, all to generate cover and native browse.

So, you just put the corn out during hunting season hoping to shoot a monster and not giving anything back?

14-Dec-17

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Year round plots here too. Fruit trees, native forb promotion, and browse management (I like to hinge/stump cut hedge and mulberry). Deer don't need it, they've been here longer than I and will be here long after I'm gone... I just like to do it.

15-Dec-17
Those are replicas from the sheds found off what is called the ks king.

15-Dec-17
Frank, i have always liked reading youre post but i dont understand NOT GIVING BACK. I live out of state hunt a place that is running cattle how do you propose i give back? I dont have the money to drag tractors up to kansas nor do i have a damn tractor im glad you have land money and time to do those things but dont assume every one is like you. Some of us do good just to afford the tag and lic. and the money it cost to go back and forth

15-Dec-17
http://antlersbyklaus.com/antlers/whitetails/deluxe/deluxe-typical/kansas-king-sheds/

15-Dec-17
Frank,

Agree, just quit being critical of others who do put habitat in.

And, you point out how thin skinned we are, I wanted to yank your chain a little to see if yours is any thicker;). I'd say we are about equal.

Thanks for buying KS tags and spending money here. Hope you continue to have fun.

15-Dec-17

z hunter's Link

15-Dec-17
The drops mounted Kansas King are now at Scheels in Overland Park,ks

16-Dec-17
I plant foodplots year round as well. Cereal rye and turnips right now. I'll plant buckwheat in one plot for the bees as well as deer browse this spring. I'll have a quail plot in around Memorial Day. Likely have a turnip/cereal rye in one plot this fall. I will plant jap millet around my pond and maybe ww for geese. Planted a lot of trees and shrubs the last few years.

I've got 200 shrubs and 50 trees ordered for this spring. I also have $1k in native grass seed I need to get drilled, but kinda waiting for some subsoil moisture.

07-Mar-18

LTG 11's embedded Photo
LTG 11's embedded Photo
Heard an interesting story about this deer.... A guy had trail cam pics and was actively hunting the buck. Kept everything quiet, didn't tell a soul.

He saw the buck go onto the neighbor's farm. He goes over and offers the farmer $5k to let him go after it. Farmer says no deal. Farmer's son shot the buck the next day.

07-Mar-18
Guy who shot that buck had been hunting it, and had trail cam pics. He’s the neighbor of a good friend. He showed me a trail cam pic of that buck last summer.

08-Mar-18
I thought Spook lost his hunting privileges!?

08-Mar-18
That story is similar to the buck shot out by Cheney Reservoir. Friends had tried to keep quiet but one guy showed a trail cam pic. It got around to the neighbor and he hunted to he killed it. All is fair in love and war.

14-Mar-18
Sorry Matte for late response no he wasn’t a high fence deer. Never killed a high fence and never will .

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

14-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

15-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo
Kansas king sheds mounted .was on display at store down by Antlers off turnpike .FYI original sheds had damage to tines and altered for replicas

15-Mar-18
My neck's getting sore looking at all these. I'm not sure if its from the heft of the racks or all the sideways photos.

15-Mar-18
lol i wish i knew how to turn them ... Sorry

16-Mar-18
Click on thread owner tools in the upper right and then rotate 90 degrees then click the x. Did you shoot all those on one property?

16-Mar-18
12,15,& 16 one one property 2013 on another . Thanks for the tip on rotating pict I will try that .

16-Mar-18

16-Mar-18
Sorry Thornton ??

17-Mar-18
It only works on my desktop, not on my mobile. Those are some nice bucks.

17-Mar-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo
My sons East Texas Buck

• Sitka Gear