MBabs 16-Nov-17
KSNimrod 16-Nov-17
keepemsharp 16-Nov-17
labxtreme1 16-Nov-17
KYBourbon 16-Nov-17
15-Nov-17

MBabs's embedded Photo
MBabs's embedded Photo
Was a trainwreck of a day that in a moment turned great. Story and more pix tomorrow. I'm exhausted beyond words. Need to hit the road home.

16-Nov-17
Nice work bud, looking forward to the story!

16-Nov-17
Hell yeah good job, nice buck!!

16-Nov-17

MBabs's embedded Photo
Me and my boys
MBabs's embedded Photo
Me and my boys
MBabs's embedded Photo
The make him look bigger pick...love the split brow tines
MBabs's embedded Photo
The make him look bigger pick...love the split brow tines
MBabs's embedded Photo
Exit wound. First time using the QAD Exodus. Both entry and exit were great.
MBabs's embedded Photo
Exit wound. First time using the QAD Exodus. Both entry and exit were great.
Season has been dreadfully slow for me. I hunt public grounds at Marion exclusively. Seeing just a deer or two a day since last Wednesday. Definitely nothing to get excited about except my deranged crazy buck encounter I posted. Yesterday morning about 8am I went to my spot thats produced the two prior years. Taking the long way, about 3/4 mile lugging my mobile set in, I find someone is set up 30 yards from my chosen tree which is already half set with visible climbing sticks. Guy was using an expensive lone wolf set up and had a back pack in the tree. I knew he was around...turns out they snuck in via the back door in a water vessel of some sort. Thats why I never saw a vehicle on the one main access point which would have prevented me from even going in that area. So I was pretty bummed. Just a ton of work for nothing. Back to the truck I'm contemplating where to go. New or old spots are not producing anything. So I decide to go back to where I got my first bow deer about 5 years ago. Had not visited this area in about 3 years for various reasons.

Anyway its a shorter haul from the road about 1/4 mile. I forgot my hang on bracket so that was one return trip to the truck. Then my old tree area was overgrown with no shooting lanes. So I'm fumbling around, dropping stuff, misplacing stuff, trying to find a substitute tree, trimming lanes, just being noisy as can be. It was truly embarrassing. Definition of a train wreck. By about 1:00 pm, I eat lunch at base of tree trying to reset. I finally get set up a few minutes after with my hangon only about 6 feet up. This spot is on the high side of a creek bank, about 20 feet higher than the terrain below. On my back side is the river about 60 yards behind and also a steep drop down. So a low set works fine.

I gave things awhile to settle down. Just before 3pm I dig my small 8 point rattling horns I bought this year out of my pack. I don't rattle often...maybe 2-3 times a day. It has never produced for me...not this year. Not prior years using the plastic gizmos. I thought to myself this has to work one of these times right? Knowing I have the wind advantage for where I think a deer would approach, and with the river on the downwind side, I know I will see anything that gets close. So I do a 20-30 second rattle. I turned to hang my horns back on the hanger and caught movement 60-70 yards out below me on the dried out creek bed. Then antlers....pretty big ones...shooter!! And the shakes immediately set in. CALM IT DOWN I say to myself. He moves to about 40-50 yards and stops at about the steepest part of the creek bank. I have seen deer get up that bank no problem before. He is thinking about going that way which is no good for me. I'm thinking...just go down the creek line....give me a shot...down the creek another 30 yards there is a real easy crossing to get up to my shooting lane...the very spot I got my first buck 5 years ago. YESSS! He makes the right choice. He moves along the creek below me about 30 yards out. He gets his antlers tangled in a busted hanging viny branch...thrashed a bit to free himself which was just cool. At this point I had a questionable shot but I knew I had him about 10 more yards. He cant smell me and I'm mostly hidden behind a tree...I got this. He kept coming a slow walk and got behind a big tree....time to draw...anchor...align....bend at waste.....for the first time ever I managed to talk through the shot sequence I practiced so many times. I hoped he would not stop forcing me to hold draw too long. He kept coming though right where I wanted him to go.. Broadside....under 20 yards....gave him the grunt...found my spot....hit the release......THWACK...shot was a little higher than I wanted but the angle was pretty steep. Seemed like he stood there for awhile but I'm sure it was merely a second. I saw blood starting and he bolted. He went into a tall CRP field where I was able to track him about 125 yards out before I lost sight. I gave it about 15 minutes and knew I could quietly pack out my set and get that part done. About 45 minutes after the shot I walk back in.

I am red green color blind. It is a bitch. It is darn near impossible for me to see blood on the fall leaves...Especially when they are wet. I found the arrow easy enough embedded in the muddy dry creek. Covered in blood. And BUBBLES!!! I try to find blood and just cannot on the leaves, the surrounding brush..nothing. My wife and young boys appreciate how much I love bowhunting and were on there way to help. But it was 5pm, with little light left before they got there. Dear wifey got going on the blood trail, while I decided to jump ahead since blood was good, and bubbly, to where I saw him last. I knew he either dropped or went into the tree line and into the ag field on the other sied. GOT HIM! Right where I last saw him. What a relief. I've lost two deer to screw ups on my end. This will be my 4th recovered. My anxiety is through the roof until recovery for I hate myself for fatally wounding an animal and not finding it. My shot entry was probably 2 inches higher than perfect but still got both lungs. Getting him out was a bear even though the distance was relatively short. My deer cart busted along the way...nice incline up. Stubbly field...arghh. I guess if you are going to kill something you need to feel a bit of pain too right.

16-Nov-17
Another thing to note. this was the smelliest deer I have ever been around. Must be the glands...but the musky buck smell was ridiculous. I can relate now where people have said they have smelled an approaching buck.

16-Nov-17
That's a great deer and a great story! Congrats.

16-Nov-17
Good job Mike, it's great to get the family involved.

16-Nov-17
Great buck!

16-Nov-17
Congrats man. What a day that was. Perfect ending.

• Sitka Gear