Nickcade 16-Nov-17
mrw 16-Nov-17
bowandspear 16-Nov-17
Come november 16-Nov-17
Come november 16-Nov-17
Nickcade 16-Nov-17
30FeetUp 17-Nov-17
16-Nov-17
Hi everyone, I'm a new guy, 2nd year hunting, wondering about mock scrapes. I have a few questions and am hoping some experienced guys might be able to chine in. I'm chasing a mature buck, 10 pointer, for the past two years. I've caught him on camera at night and only seen him once late last December around 4pm. Im thinking of moving closer to where he hangs out. Right now Im in a funnel/ travel route. He doesn't show face very much here. Is it too late to scout a new area and potentially start a mock scrape? (Somewhere very isolated where Im sure hes hanging out mostly.) Also, I caught him on camera on November 7th chasing a doe.

16-Nov-17
definatly not too late to scout and move just be mindful of your scent and impact on an area.

16-Nov-17
Ballsy move this late in the game. Second year and your already after the monsters pretty cool. I’d give you advice but as of lately I almost think I forgot everything I know with the way the last couple of years have gone! Good luck with him.

16-Nov-17
I'm no big buck master... That said, depending on how much time you have left to hunt, how much gun pressure the area gets, and what you have seen... If you are confident in where he's likely to come from. Yeah, I'd make the move. Historically, I'd have put to much trust in my spot, and hoped patience would pay... I'm trying to be more like friends that seem to tag mature big woods deer year after year... And they move a lot more than I do.

16-Nov-17
Thanks guys. Im going to scout "responsibly" scent locked, rubber gloves, etc... My area is bow only, and close to dirt walking trails. I think the deer are used to people walking in the woods. Not sure if its a bad or good thing.

16-Nov-17
Remember, most scrapes are made overnight, so you might want to think about where they are coming from or going to in relation to those scrapes. Work your way in slowly, let the deer teach you what you can and can't get away with. And good luck! Let us know how it all works out!

16-Nov-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
Beware of this little bastid he loves the mock scrape lol got him on vid two different days.

16-Nov-17
Nick, don’t worry about those scrapes. He must have a rubline in , or out, or both of that thick area you talk about. Hunt that. Backtrack that rubline as close as you dare to that bedding area and jump a stand in.

16-Nov-17
Is there a rubline through that funnel? Be aware rublines are directional. ( am and pm) If you like hunting mature bucks, back track him in the snow this winter. He’ll show you his whole world in the snow. You’ll be all set for next year! Let him make the first mistake, not you. Be patient and post pics! Good luck

16-Nov-17
Thanks November, great advice. And no, the funnel doesnt have rub lines. It is just a high traffic deer highway. I have seen a rub here and there, but nothing that looks like its in constant tendence.

17-Nov-17
I shot my biggest buck by moving stands around Thanksgiving -- go for it! It was a very similar situation, I was hunting a piece that looked awesome, and seemed to be a funnel, but I saw very little activity, especially during lock-down. Nearby was a bedding area with tons of rubs. Best advice I ever got was "go hunt where that buck is actually living". I set up once or twice in a climber, left my climber at the base of a tree, deep in thick bedding, and shot a 200 lb, 5.5 year old, 10 pointer at sunrise of Black Friday on my 3rd sit. Yeah, entering a core area is always ballsy. Now, that's just how I hunt.

• Sitka Gear