Belchertown Bowman 16-Nov-17
Passthrough 16-Nov-17
Steveeg 16-Nov-17
BC 16-Nov-17
badjuju 17-Nov-17
bigcountry 17-Nov-17
Belchertown Bowman 17-Nov-17
16-Nov-17
Or are deer considered something non threatening/natural in the woods and chipmunks just let em walk by and not get all pissy,.. like they do at me?

I have never seen that interaction so I am curious what you experts say?

When a chipmunk starts alerting a hundered yards away is that a warning sign to a hunter to focus over there and maybe put the beer down? :)

16-Nov-17
More likely another chipmunk or hawk than deer... thats my theory at least.

16-Nov-17
BB, still having chipmunk problems huh...

16-Nov-17
I doubt it. Those darn things chirp all the time.

16-Nov-17
I swear God put on this planet to get at me,..

Just saying,..

I been thinking of bringing a target point arrow with me,.. ;)

16-Nov-17
No. 1: Never put your beer down!

No. 2: I wonder if deer eat chipmunks like they do birds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

16-Nov-17
I wondered that myself. Never had any kind of confirmation until this year when they were sounding the alarms on me like crazy. I was sitting on the ground and waited it out until they shut up. All the sudden I heard birds and chipmunks go nuts about 150 yds to my right and I wonder, was it me again? No, too far off and I hadn't moved a muscle. I set up to my right thinking it may be a coyote and 10 seconds later an 8 pointer cruising by at 25 yards and I shot him. Now I have no way of knowing if it was him they alerted on, but he came from that exact direction and was moving quickly. I don't think the animals wait to see what something is before sounding the alarm, so if a deer is moving quick they might just start alerting. However if some deer are creeping by slowly feeding or something, I rarely hear other animals make a fuss.

Anyone else have evidence for or against this?

16-Nov-17
I don't know about chipmunks but Anytime I hear red squirrels or blue jays sounding off I grab my bow. I know the red squirrels will chatter at anything that moves unless it is something that can eat them. Then it's a high pitched chirp that puts everything on alert. Happened twice with the red fox I had around my stand. I would have to assume that chipmunks are the same

16-Nov-17
Many years ago I had blue jays going nuts. Look in there direction and here comes a spike cruising by me . voice grunted he stopped and it wasn't long and he took a ride in the back of my truck.

16-Nov-17
MRW,.. WTF? that video is crazy I thought deer were herbivore (plants) not omnivore (anything goes)?

That is a weird video,.. ya think that is real?

16-Nov-17
I still do not have a consensus on this,.. experts please weigh in?

or let me hear you experiences if you are not an expert,..

16-Nov-17
Deanman, I have noticed the blue jays also. Last year when I was baiting bears I heard the blue jays a few times after I dropped the bait and when I checked the cam a bear came in almost right after I left and the blue jays would sound the alarm. I kept waiting to hear the blue jays while on stand, but never did. Those damn birds have got to create the most obnoxious sounding noise on God's green earth.

16-Nov-17
I don't pay too much attention to chipmunks. they seem to get freaked out by just about anything....a bluejay or if a gray squirrel starts barking, i pay attention....most times it's nothing but every once in a while, it's a deer, bear, yote or something....always be ready for 30 minutes or so in that general direction......

16-Nov-17
Big ,.. thank you,.. You are a super hunter/predator and I pay attention to what you say,.. others should too,.. this man has taken over a 100+ deer in his time (the speadsheet on kills I posted a while ago),.. in fact I do not even think he posted his latest kill a few days ago,.. I saw it at his house,.. he does not even talk about em,.. Listen to his, not too frequent post is my advice. just saying.

Sometime those who speak the softest are those who you need to listen to,.. the most,..

Thanks B,..

I will study diff between squirrel and chip

16-Nov-17
In CT this year I had chipmunks sound off at deer that were feeding. They didnt do the annoying squeak for 10 minutes after the intial running squeak. They did their running squeak. A few more squeaks then silent. Few minutes later deer comes up the hill. Had this happen a couple times. Also had a few gray squirrels in CT pinpoint deer for me. By watching a certain direction for more than 30 sec. In MA it seems to be a toss up generally. 98% of the time squirrels, chipmunks, and blue jays sound off at anything and everything. Including nothing, maybe its their shadow. But every once in a while its a bear,deer,coyote, fisher, or other animal.

16-Nov-17
Red squirrels often taunt me. Bust me walking in. I've had them alarm me of critters coming close a few times. I think they let everything now I'm there way more often. Birds will make a ruckus over a dead deer, listen for them if tracking one. I will pay more attention to them birds now I've never felt they alarmed me of a deer coming in. Probably never paid attention.

16-Nov-17
No, squirrels and chipmunks do not alert deer. They could care less.

17-Nov-17
flip the question, do deer pay attention to the squirrels and chipmunks alert calls? was out the other day and it was dead quiet and no wind. was on the ground sitting still and after 20min the red squirrels around me went off for a while. was wondering if deer heard it would they avoid the area.

17-Nov-17
BB.....I would rather be lucky than good.....I have been fortunate but crazy things happen in the deer woods all the time.....lol....we've all been there.....

17-Nov-17
It has been interesting to hear the views on this,.. lets face it when we are hunting and hear a noise/alarm we all listen,. I bet nature does too,..

In ending and after reviewing all the posts above ,.. yah I bet critters,.. blue jays, squirrels, etc, sound off before they even know what is alarming them,.. just an instinctual reaction to that x movement over there. Probably some do to their shadow or a bird. I would think if you live in the woods you would pay attention to every sound around you... especially if you are hunted,..

Thanks Crew,.. I appreciated hearing the experiences,..

• Sitka Gear