ZachinCO 11-Jan-18
Ski & Skin 11-Jan-18
ColoBull 12-Jan-18
Offgrid 11-Mar-18
tradi-doerr 12-Mar-18
Destroyer350 12-Mar-18
16-Nov-17

Destroyer350's Link
New shed hunting regs come with a $40 license and is closed from Jan 1 - Apr 30 west of I25. I'd bet in 5 years they up it to $100 the way they have been doing things. In the areas I Mountain Lion hunt I look for sheds in between sets. Doesn't make any sense to me why I cant pick up a chalky shed that's been laying there for 3 years.

16-Nov-17
I was at the wildlife commission meeting today, and there was discussion of the draft options. The the issue has not been finalized yet.

I think Eastmans is inaccurate in their article. A final decision will likely come at the January commission meeting. There was discussion of a fee today, some support it some do not. Big Game Forever testified in support of the fee, no other groups testified in person.

Moving forward, CPW staff was directed by the commission to draft revised language and options for commissioner discussion and decision. The revised language will be available for public comment prior to the January meeting.

My take on the meeting is everyone agrees with the intent of a season, which is prevent disturbing animals and their young during a critical and sensitive time of year, on winter range. Many report hordes of folks with an intent to earn money exhibiting behavior that is detrimental, especially to mule deer. The intent is not to prevent an average guy from picking up an antler he finds while out hunting in the fall. There was discussion of recent collection closures in Utah, which seemed to send the Utah collectors into Colorado to satisfy what might be a commercial intent to earn a living.

It is an interesting discussion, and many think if your out there earning an income from the resource, not only should you be regulated to preserve the resource, but you should also pay for it. Personally, I tend to agree.

16-Nov-17
I will continue to pick up sheds while turkey hunting.

17-Nov-17
I see a lot of pictures on here of families getting out shed hunting & can see a lot of that going away if they have to buy licenses for everyone. I agree, commercial shed hunters would need a license a good idea. I would prefer to see if you have a valid hunting license, you are allowed to pick up sheds while hunting. I took a young man on his first hunting trip a couple weeks ago. He found two large 5pt elk sheds & was ecstatic about that. Given we never got a shot at an elk, he was glad he got something to bring home. With this license requirement, now he would have to leave them? Bummer.

17-Nov-17
I can see the need.

Now, if we can get a requirement to have all the bicyclists license their bikes to travel on the roadways... THAT would be awesome

17-Nov-17
If any of my bowsite brothers want to take a look at the existing proposal on the CPW website, and draft up some simple language that would be enforceable, easy to understand and meet the objective of minimizing the impact on wildlife - I will share it with the CBA board at our Dec 2nd meeting. When the board arrives at a concensus, it will be shared with CPW. I am short on time, and it only gets worse with the holidays starting next week. My email is [email protected]

17-Nov-17
I tend to agree with the proposed regs. However, I don't think you should have to buy a permit if you are hunting (holding a license) and pick up a shed. Whether it's turkey (I know this season falls in the closed dates) coyote, big game, your current license should cover the "shed permit." I can attest to the increased pressure that shed hunting brings from February through May. Unfortunately the atvs and motorcycles driving through the trees, sage brush and open parks have ruined this for everyone. Something needed to be done. I just hope they can find a way to enforce it. In Utah last year they made examples out of some unfortunate few who picked up well placed antlers by the road that Utah parks and wildlife were watching. Hefty fines were given. We won't see this go in effect until the 2019 shed season I imagine.

17-Nov-17
I like the idea of picking up sheds is free assuming it’s during the season you have a big game license for. I also agree that those who are doing it commercially should be paying a significant amount.

17-Nov-17
Maybe just do an online course that shows how to do it ethically. The area I mountain lion hunt/pick up sheds rarely has any snow. The deer are more likely to die of heat exhaustion or sunburn in those parts. Not sure why you would push deer or elk to get them to drop there antlers. Glass from a distance so you don't push the animals out of the area. The only way you could prevent them from being pushed is not allowing anyone in the woods during that time. Even someone walking there dog can spook animals but no one is talking about that. Or not allowing anyone to fly a plane or helicopter in areas where the deer are wintering would be a start.

17-Nov-17
I've seen them run deer and elk trying to knock antlers off. I believe this is 100% why they are doing this. When I can't walk 100 yards shed hunting without crossing atv or motorcycle tracks in the tees and sage brush something is wrong. It's those people that will ruin this type of stuff for everyone. Same with the people that take out old tv's and electronics and shoot them then leave them scattered. The actions of the trashy few will ruin it for all of us.

17-Nov-17
Blame the bicyclists, now that's funny.

18-Nov-17
I think blaming bicyclists is a good answer to everything in CO!

18-Nov-17
Sigh, as a cyclist, I'm going to hijack this short thread. What is so horrible about us? And before you say we don't follow traffic laws, neither do 90% of automobile drivers. Watch, and pay attention to yourself, how many roll through stop signs, run red lights especially when turning left, or actually drive the speed limit. Or us turn signals. Before you say cyclist need to pay road taxes, we do. I don't know anyone who cycles and doesn't own a vehicle, buys gas, registration and insurance. I ain't talking pony tail Prius drivers either.

18-Nov-17
PECO just like anybody else. Maybe it’s a few bad apples that give everyone a bad name. In my experience there is not a ruder person on the road than a guy on a road bike and tight shorts. They are A-holes. Like I said it’s not all of them, but enough that many people stereotype them all that way. When I ride my mountain bike to the gym I move over for cars and even stop some times. Unlike many road bikers I see driving down the middle of the road half or less the speed of traffic. Get the eff out of the way!!!!

18-Nov-17
PECO

I have 2 snowmobiles that dont touch a road surfaces and I have to register them each year

I have 2 ATVs that dont touch a road surface and I have to register them each year

I have a boat that never touches a road surface and I have to register that each year

I never said anything about bicyclists about being horrible - I just said they should pay a yearly license to use the roads.

Pay to play

Sounds like I touched a nerve tho about bicyclists being horrible... wonder why?

18-Nov-17
Motorized vehicles when taken into public are required to have a registration. Necessary for a bicycle, come on. Your kids bikes too? No more necessary than registration for canoes, kayaks, paddle boards or hiking boots. I've been swerved at, yelled at, and swore at while riding outside the white line while no other traffic was around. The hatred towards cyclist because a few do not follow traffic laws is so wrong when the ones hating do not follow the laws themselves. Yep, bicycles destroy the roads, their impact is devastating, charge them, then wac em and stack em.

18-Nov-17

PECO's Link
We already do pay to play.

http://pedalfortcollins.com/street-maintenance-who-pays/

18-Nov-17
Then you shouldnt have an issue to ante up for a shed hunting license :)

18-Nov-17
I shouldn't but I do. I am fine with the season, and fine charging the commercial guys. Charge big for a shed dog. I only pick up a few deer sheds a year while turkey hunting. It is not fair for me to ante up $40 for them. One thing my father taught me though, is life ain't fair.

19-Nov-17
PECO’s spandex bicycle shorts fit a little to tight.

19-Nov-17
I aint gonna lie, I don't ride much at all anymore and my cycling attire has shrunk.

19-Nov-17
You guys are to damn funny, and brutal!

23-Nov-17
Some Shed hunters in Utah did not care about the closer at all. Some went out april 15 and found boot tracks, atv, dirt bike tracks!!! Some even posted on social media the antlers they got before the 15th!! As a side note, most were wearing spandex bike shorts too!!! ;]]]]]

23-Nov-17
When you take something and put a value on it, it turns it into a resource. Add to it a bunch of unethical behavior your going to get rules and regulations added to that resource, and it is a renewable resource. It's always the greedy bad apples that ruin it for everyone else.

23-Nov-17
I bet it was snowboard boot prints and they were wearing snowboard pants not spandex. Snowboarders get blamed for everything cyclists don't get blamed for. I bet whoever it was, was also driving a Subaru.

24-Nov-17
PECO to be fair they could have been driving a Prius.

24-Nov-17
True, but Subaru's (Lezbaru's) take more of a beating on here I think.

25-Nov-17
What is the issue? As I understand it, wildlife is being harassed at a time when they are vulnerable in some areas, and much of the harassment is by shed hunters.

So how is charging those people a fee supposed to curtail the harassment?

It seems to me the way to protect wildlife is to restrict the main tool of harassment - off road vehicles. Just make shed hunting a walk-in only endeavor. All vehicles should be restricted to established roads. If people on foot is an issue, close the area completely for the prescribed time. A responsible shed hunter is no more a problem than a responsible photographer or hiker. Why aren't they proposing to charge them also?

25-Nov-17
I haven't seen this mentioned but commercial shed hunting has to already be illegal on public if the shed hunter hasnt applied for and received a permit like any other commercial user.

25-Nov-17
One of the bigger issues is the amount of "established roads" on the winter range that atv users can travel.

25-Nov-17
Define "commercial shed hunter". I often sell some my pick-ups, but I collect them all on foot. Being able to sell them for a little pocket money is just a little more incentive to get out and get some exercise and enjoy a 'hike with a purpose'.

"...amount of "established roads" on the winter range that atv users can travel."

If it's not a "real" road, close it during that time period.

25-Nov-17
Close the roads, yeah that will stop them. How many posts are there on here about people blatantly going around gate, or through gates, on ATV's and in trucks to use closed roads. Road closures don't seem to be enforced.

26-Nov-17
“Road closures don’t seem to be enforced “

And neither do bicycle road violations :8>

Just saying

26-Nov-17
"Road closures don't seem to be enforced." So they should enforce them with confiscation of the vehicle. But back to my question. How does simply requiring a license protect the animals? Seems more like just an excuse to raise more money.

26-Nov-17
Road violations are enforced for neither bicycles or automobiles. Ziek, maybe if a license is required, that revenue can be used to enforce new and current laws.

26-Nov-17
To be clear, Commercial shed license revenue to enforce laws on everyone caught in closed areas.

26-Nov-17
I don't think there is a threshold for "commercial" use. Filming one 30 second kill scene and using it on a hunting show qualifies, getting $50 one time to pack out a guy's elk quarter counts, etc.. Not saying that these examples make sense.

26-Nov-17
I doubt the 47 shed hunting licenses they sell will pay for much enforcement.

"Can I see your shed hunting license?"

"Nope, just bird watching sir"

"What about the elk shed in your hand?"

"Just putting it back over here, my dog found it and carried it to me"

*sets shed down

"There, back to bird watching"

03-Dec-17
03-Dec-17
Lol, a guy name masterSHED pushing everyone to call and complain about the proposed regs.

03-Dec-17
And your point Dryder is what? That I enjoy shed hunting? Do you enjoy drying clothes or what? Try to at least give us the idea that you have a brain and can communicate.

04-Dec-17
I'm not against making a season for collecting sheds as something needs to be done with the idiots who are harassing the animals during a critical time of year, and setting ground rules for how sheds are collected-like no antler traps baited or otherwise and such. Just not keen on a fee to collect sheds.

04-Dec-17
Master shed I’ve made my point clear above. I’d like to see it more geared toward the commercial guys that collect sheds and then profit on them. Often when you put a monetary value on things, it leads to issues, such as putting pressure on wintering animals, etc. if you’re one of the guys doing it for commercial purposes, which would make sense based off your name then you should absolutely pay, and in my opinion, a lot more than they are proposing.

I just chuckled at the irony of your name. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

04-Dec-17
Master Shed, is that like a tough shed?

04-Dec-17
Peco did you let have I borrow a pair of your extra tight bike shorts? I think they cut off circulation and he’s a little cranky! ;)

04-Dec-17
Listening to ranchers up in NW Colorado, they have more problems with shed hunters in the spring than they ever have with hunters.

It's pretty upsetting when CPW issues closures on some of the winter range when the animals are struggling and you go out to see more out of state vehicles parked around and then you see them coming in with atvs or backpacks loaded down a week before it is supposed to open.

CPW has been crying about not having enough revenue to operate. Licensing shed hunters seems like a great revenue generator. Especially since it has become so popular and a large portion of the shed hunters are doing it to sell antlers. I get really upset when I am out in the winter range and there are guys from Utah running all over the hills actually chasing deer to get them to drop their antlers. Kind of makes a guy want to send some lead their way!

06-Dec-17

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
This late dog of mine found a shed once. Here she is getting a drink from my camelbak on a trail near Fruita, Colorado. This picture is for all of you here who pretend to hate cyclists ;)

06-Dec-17
This seems to be a lot of "hoop -law" over pretty much nothing. Make an allowance for a "free" couple or few couple sheds. 'License required for anything over that. Enforce it just like any other bag limit or violation. Add to the Operation game thief program - we can all get paid ( if we so chose) to report violators. More money to the program, more eyes for enforcement...

09-Dec-17
They're trying to save the deer populations because the deer are week and shed hunters are killing all the deer by walking by/ around them.

They also will allow helicopters to be used to control the coyote population!!! Because no one will be allowed on federal land all winter long!!!

28-Dec-17
I am all about the shed hunting fees and setting up a season. I would like to see the season dates up to April 1st or 15th. Not may 1st. Why because I start riding bikes in May. Also I rarely ride road bike. And when I do I have my 9mm sticking out of the back of my shorts. I have never been yelled at by a car. haha!

28-Dec-17
I personally think this sucks. As a group who pays for the resource, I think another tax on the those who already do ALL the funding is pretty lame. I do think if it's done on a commercial level that's another story, and I totally get harassing critters when they're at their most suspectable on their winter range. But for me having to buy yet another tag to pick up a shed while I'm out turkey hunting is a joke. Instead of figuring out how many ways to tax the guys who are already footing the entire bill, I'd like someone to think outside the box and figure out how to generate some revenue from the non-consumptive folks...

29-Dec-17
I was recently "re-educated" about shed hunting operations, by a long time NW Colo resident. Apparently there are some larger scale ( to commercial) folks from out of state that come in and gather large numbers of sheds each spring. One of the tactics is to run animals to encourage them to drop antlers. It would seem that a much larger non-resident fee would be in order for those types (with hefty fines for harassing wildlife, if that's the case). Requiring individuals to pay to pick up a stray shed or two seems to be missing the point. Given the small number of sheds our party has found over the years , the "right" to pick up a few should come with the cost of the tag.

29-Dec-17
Let me be the first to say, weather I am wrong or not, nonresident commercial shed gathering is forbidden.

29-Dec-17
I repeat; it's already illegal to harass wildlife. If they can't enforce that, how will charging a shed gathering fee help?!! If it's a known problem, in a known area, at a known time of year any COMPETENT law enforcement agency should be able to stop it pretty quick, and doing so should be paid for by fines and sale of confiscated sheds, equipment and vehicles.

29-Dec-17
Commercial license is a no brainer. They are using our resources so they should pay for them. And it’s easier to track as they sell them and transport them. The guy picking up 1 shed while going for a hike and enjoying the fresh air shouldn’t be lumped into the guys that profit off this.

01-Jan-18
My mistake using the word "commercial". Maybe "organized, larger scale, non-residents"? The point is that it apparently happens, whether by individuals or groups. An NR pays $484 to $644 to elk hunt and fish. IMO, NR "large scale" shed collectors should be paying something similar. Same for resident "large scale" collectors. Have you seen what PitCo sells antler pieces for ( for dog chew bones)? ~$15 for a 4-6" piece. & again - IMO - any tag should include the right to pick up a shed or two. Who hasn't stumbled across a stray shed while hunting - it's part of the experience! Beyond that - charge away!

01-Jan-18
You still need to define "large scale". I typically pick up about 100# of sheds a year, all on foot, carried out on my back. If I happen to run into elk, I give them a wide birth. I also sell much of what I find. Why I should I be penalized because others are already breaking the law, and charging a fee won't change that. If what they are trying to do is raise more revenues, they should come out and say it, and not try to obfuscate their reason by claiming something else just to gain wider acceptance.

01-Jan-18
It wouldn’t be that hard to define. Anybody that sells antlers for profit is considered commercial. Anybody that collects more than X pounds in a calendar year. Anybody that transfers X pounds across state lines (once out of state the sales will be harder to control). Someone a lot smarter than me should be able to figure out a definition.

01-Jan-18
Ziek, I think Grasshopper covered it rather well in post #2, and the majority of the subsequent ( relevant) posts sum up nicely. If you want to collect sheds in the proposed limited spring season, get ready to pay less for that permit than we pay for an elk tag.

01-Jan-18
"...regulated to preserve the resource..."

Charging a license fee will not do that. Restricting the collection method, i.e. no off-road vehicles, would go a lot farther. Unlike all other license fees, we aren't reducing the population of any wildlife. And wildlife management is about conservation not preservation.

02-Jan-18
Lyle Sidener, AWM in north park convened a call last week to discuss this topic amongst sportsman stakeholders. While I was unable to attend due to Christmas a conflict I did get to talk with Kent Ingram about the call, and will call Lyle to discuss on behalf of the CBA.

I believe the CBA board meeting is Friday, where we would formally vote on a board position.

As mentioned earlier, yes, we do have a harassment regulation on the books. This regulation is about a closure, west of I-25, not on private lands. If the closure is implemented, I would think a violation could be for picking up during a closure, as well as wildlife harassment. The proposal also contains language about "possession" during the closure. I was told the possession violation is PER ANTLER, so if you have a truckload it could be an unpleasant situation and an effective deterrent to wait until May 1.

In the past, there have been closures in small geographic areas, like the Gunnison basin, roaring fork valley, etc. Apparently the closures worked, because the shed collectors moved to different parts of the state that were not closed. I assume by going statewide west of I-25, it will eliminate the issue of collectors moving to the remaining unregulated areas of the state, and everyone gets the same start date.

If you want a copy of the documents Lyle sent me, my email is [email protected]. CPW staff position does not support a "season" and a "license" at this time, merely a closure through April 30th.

02-Jan-18
How do they define "possession"? In the field, at your residence, traveling to meet a buyer? Possession limits of game includes in your freezer. The same broad interpretation for antlers could be problematic, especially since the closures are only on public land, and date of collection would be difficult to determine for stored sheds.

02-Jan-18

Grasshopper's Link
Here is the link for the actual language. It all downloads as one document, but there are two options, one for just the closure, and another for closure, season, and license. The fee is listed as either $20 or $40.

If you wish to testify, the item should be about 10:50 on Thursday Jan 11th at 6060 Broadway, but show up early to submit your sheet of paper requesting to testify. Just my take and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but there seemed to strong support for the closure in Yuma, not necessarily the fee based license.

03-Jan-18
Thanks Steve.

03-Jan-18
This is going to work out well... if you are outside the house and look up you are "attempting to locate" Sounds like the same guy wrote this as the federal baiting statute for waterfowl.

03-Jan-18
In order to solve a problem, you have to be able to identify the problem first. The problem is NOT shed collecting. It's the use of off road vehicles; snow machines and ATVs. And it's not only shed collectors creating the problem. A few people on foot would not stress wildlife. They could allow collection on foot only, restricting vehicles to roads open to, and passable by, highway legal vehicles.

The restricted area is also unnecessarily broad. West of Hwy 25 may be convenient for regulatory purposes, but I live west of I25. In over 30 years I've never seen conditions ALL winter that stress any wildlife in this area. Even after the heaviest snows, it's mostly gone after about a week.

They are also not looking ahead to possible consequences and need for future regulation. Sheds are already becoming big business. As they make it more and more difficult to fill the need, just like big game hunting, ranchers will find it profitable to lease their private property to collectors. Much of our elk populations winter and shed on private ground. They are only closing public land to start, but it won't be long before they start looking to expand that.

I also question their authority. They are charged with managing WILDLIFE. Sheds are NOT wildlife. While restricting public access that is negatively effecting wildlife falls within their purview, picking and choosing which specific activity to regulate is a stretch. It doesn't make any difference if the guy riding a noisy machine in close proximity to wildlife is collecting sheds, or just thinks it's fun to chase a heard of elk. Those regulations are already in place.

03-Jan-18
Ziek, "The problem is NOT shed collecting." is in fact an incorrect statement, some of the methods being used in shed collecting is in fact inhumane and illegal. This has been a growing problem from people who are using collecting of sheds as a means of income be it direct or supplemental income. Not all of us who do collect create these issues but there are those that are and it has stirred the hornets nest sort of speak. It sucks! but this is a reality we are now dealing with. Anytime you put value to a resource guarantees that it will end up being regulated in some way. I myself am pushing for no fees but a strict season on when collecting can be done, but you know they are going to come up with a fee no matter what. Question here is who really is the authority on shed collecting, CPW or USFS? The USFS regulates all surface management on Federal lands as it is, and since sheds are no longer a part of the animal does this make it another form of natural resource?

03-Jan-18
"...some of the methods being used in shed collecting is in fact inhumane and illegal."

That's my point. Enforce the the regulations that already address the problem instead of creating more regulations that don't address it directly.

03-Jan-18
That's the point, they have to in affect create a regulation or change current regulation to do exactly that, what they have now isn't obviously working, as I said it sucks, but it's where it is now. Get directly involved to help lead this into the right direction, make the calls, attend the meetings.

03-Jan-18
This still does not make any sense to me. It just seems like the CPW is finding every way possible to nickle and dime people who enjoy the outdoors. I'm 33 now and I bet in the next 10-15 years the cost just to go outside is gonna be outrageous. State Parks increased their fees, National Parks are increasing their fees and the CPW is doubling their fees.

I also wonder why anyone would push deer or elk to drop their antlers and whats the probability they drop within sight. I would say its less than 1% so that argument is invalid - especially in the area I look since it's impossible to access with an ATV. Why would you want to push deer or elk out out of an area so they go drop somewhere else!? I think most people keep an eye where the elk or deer are hanging out and once they see they have lost their antlers then they slip in to start looking for them. Most of the ones I have found are by stumbling across them or glassing them up from 100+ yards away.

I would also say the majority of people that find sheds either keep them or sell a small amount to pay for their gas. No one is getting rich shed hunting! The only people who are making an "income" are the large antler buyers and most are paying taxes just like with any other business.

03-Jan-18
I agree that the question of jurisdiction is one of the big issues here. If it's not CPW, which could be statewide, then it would require separate rules on private, USFS and BLM. There are far more animals that winter on BLM than USFS as it is generally lower elevation.

11-Jan-18
Anyone else listening?

11-Jan-18
Just listened. Looks like after this then they are going after everything on public lands i.e snow shoeing, mountain biking and everything else. I wouldn't be surprised if we arent allowed to filter water in the backcountry after this is said and done.

Interesting that all the people who testified are either from Gunnison or the NW. I could see a ban in places that get an insane amount of snow but I dont feel it should be that way on the Front Range. What your now going to see is shed hunters paying private land owners to shed hunt private ground.

11-Jan-18
I'm guessing there is a degree of that already happening. The outfitters who have leases in place for hunting probably will parse that into a shed hunt if they haven't already.

11-Jan-18
Destroyer350 you should have showed up!

They already had everything set, having us testify at that point was just to placate us that out testimony ment something. Whatever date is good "IF" everyone plays by the rules.

The whole state is different and should be treated as such. They don't care!!!

They want to close all federal land that deer and elk call winter range and you can bet that Bray ranches is figuring out a way to make extra $ for ranchers.

As for the front range, March 15 bikes, hikers, dog walkers, runners are in winter range.

The only thing to do is complain and show up!

12-Jan-18
I have to "pay to play" when I hunt & fish & camp. My wife & her friends probably put more wear & tear on the trails when they go hiking (for free) as I do when hunting. She/they aren't opposed to the thought of paying some kind of "maintenance/access" fee. There used to be a couple guys doing trail maintenance where we hunted each fall. A couple years ago the program was cut ( back) due to lack of funding. Now we just have to crawl over more trees across the trails (more & more, every day, because of beetle kill). The state is being "loved to death" as more & more folks take advantage of both "pay" & "free" access. Hunter's & fisher-folk have been shouldering much of the burden to date. The ad's on TV say it all - "Hug a Hunter"..."Hug a Fisherman". It's past time to redistribute the load. Stop hugging my wallet, and open your own ( all you hikers, backpackers, XC skiers, bikers, etc., etc..) Step up and pay your fair share! It's the way of the world - if you like to do something, someone will eventually find a way to make you pay for it.

11-Mar-18
Oh please! Just another reason for the state of Colorado to collect more money! Hell they think they own everything here, rain from the skies, the deer, the elk, etc. Please!

12-Mar-18
Why doe some people think this is about money!? How much can the state possibly collect from a hand full of shed collectors? Not much at all! It's about having to police idiots that have no ethics/morals when comes to the well being of the animals, so far no fees just fines for those that can't follow the rules/laws.

12-Mar-18
Why dont they try to enforce the rules that are already on the books? The deer and elk are fine - it's 60 degrees outside right now. It's all about control with them. Like I said in my post above they said "everyones time is coming" not just shed hunters.

• Sitka Gear