sitO 30-Dec-17
sitO 30-Dec-17
sitO 31-Dec-17
keepemsharp 01-Jan-18
Thornton 01-Jan-18
17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Ok, so Mark and I are headed back out this morning...I let him pick the stand and we'll chime in on that once we're there.

Many miles have come before us, and many more to go...but I think we can get him on a buck he'll "know" is the one...and if not it will have been a heckuva journey!

17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:23am...

We're set and ready to shoot...he picked the stand he shot the coyote out of, near Argonia. Wind is good here, S with a bit of W in it which will take our scent out over the open field behind us. Temp was 60 when we left the truck...supposed to get into the mid 70's...but that won't stop'm.

We've picked up this guy several times on camera...never in person yet, but Mark thinks he may be the "one" ;?)

17-Nov-17
Good luck guys. Another tree rodeo day in the wind

17-Nov-17
Nice hump! Definitely a shooter lol

17-Nov-17
6:58am...

A buck just passed by S of us grunting an moving quickly. I grunted back but wasn't interested I reckon. Caught a glance of him and looked like a young 8pt

17-Nov-17
7:28am...

We've had a doe out With of us for 20min+)-...a spike came out and chased her a bit, then a heavy 8 came and rancher around but left to the S quickly.

I rattled at him but not interested

17-Nov-17
Sounds like an active morning. Good luck fellas!

17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
8:38am...

Thanks Mike, and congrats again...sorry we couldn't get together but maybe we will to hunt something else.

Action has dwindled a bit here...however we did just have a neatly groomed spike just come down the trail.

Yea the camera is an hour ahead...get over it

17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
8:51am...

So as soon as I hit "submit" Mark says "buck coming"

This guy has some great potential...but not enough humps for us

17-Nov-17
Good luck out there guys.

17-Nov-17
Glad to see you guys having some luck with sightings. I hope to be in a tree early this afternoon and every day till Thanksgiving or I get one in range. Good luck fellas.

17-Nov-17
11:37am...

We're out...gonna try another stand tonight, probably the Caldwell spot with little coverage.

On the way out there was a 320" pushing a doe across winter wheat just N of the truck...yea you read that right, prove me wrong ;?)

17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:03pm...

We split up but have both been on stand since 2:30+/-...I may take a doe tonight if given a perfect scenario, but I'd almost rather shoot a coyote or ten.

Quiet so far and HOT...but better than workin!

17-Nov-17
How much do you think that 320" weighed?

17-Nov-17
4:41pm...

I'd say he was around 14 hands tall and bout 120 stones give'r take

Nothing moving here yet but a nice covey of Quail

17-Nov-17
320" ..1680 pound deer...you guys must be hunting high fence ..lol

17-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
5:11pm...

Heard deep grunting from the S...he's on her trail...he breeds her...they go West

Big heavy and wide 8-9pt

17-Nov-17
Fun encounter.... thanks for us along

17-Nov-17
They were never closer than 80, but I almost took a "pot shot"...see I've got a Salvage tag cause my buck turned into jerky within 48hrs ;?)

21-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
My "neighbors" have a good sense of humor!

I was duck hunting this morning, and this note was on my windshield when I got back to the truck ;?)

24-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:14am...

Hope y'all got stuffed yesterday and had lots of good talks about politics and religion!

Mark and I are set up on the "dog-leg" stand or some may remember it as the "poop deck" West of Argonia.. Got him in here 45min early which is ok but I think he's asleep.

Wind is virtually non-existent at this point but supposed to be S-SW which is perfect here. It was 46° at the truck and will be like Jamaica at noon.

I haven't checked this scrape cam since we were here last(17th), so hard to say what's around. This is the property with the buck that had a thorn in his face last year...big 8-9pt...he was also here in July but haven't seen him since? Maybe today's that day...

24-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
8:24am...

Ain't nothin goin on here.

Had a doe and two fawns pass a couple hundred yds N of us early...being harassed by a forky...and that's it. It's dead still and the wind was squirrelly early but it's mostly SW now.

Gonna give this spot another hour and then move if we don't see anything else.

24-Nov-17
9:09am...

A good looking 10 just passed S of us, but out of range and I couldn't get him on film. Grunted and he stopped and looked our way...but just kept roaming

24-Nov-17

24-Nov-17
2:51pm...

Saw nothing after the 10, so we moved our operations S to the spot near Caldwell.

It's friggin HOT...almost 80° now and wind is still light and variable. This is the only farm I have in this area that seems to be holding several mature bucks...we just need one

24-Nov-17
Good luck. None of my family wanted to go tonight. Driving me nuts as the major moon time is on tract for major feeding time

24-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
First doe came out at around 5, and then 4-5 more a few minutes later but way S of us. At about 10min til last light a big bodied deer...looked like an 8...crossed the alfalfa E of us but I don't think he ever saw the decoy and he certainly did not like the grunt call.

Right at last light a fork with his left side broken off came in...he stayed within 10' of the decoy until we climbed down.

Can't eat a sunset...but I reckon this'n woulda been tastey

25-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:22am...

Taking another "noob" today...one of my buddies son's wants to be a bow hunter. I helped him get his first turkey a couple years ago, and he's been with us on our last 4 upland opening weekends. Now it's time for a deer!

Cameron and I are set up just N of Argonia..."finger tip" stand...wind is N but should get some E in it soon, temp was 44° at the truck. He's a couple years older than the pic above...hoping I can get something in front of him today.

25-Nov-17
8:16am...

Can someone explain to me why it's so GD hard to get wind predictions right? Or at least close? Supposed to be N-NE today but it's NW and mostly W? Yesterday it was supposed to be W-SW but blew from the E off and on all day...it's really messing me up

We've seen one little buck right at first light but 200yds S and cruising...just now two doe''s are headed to the wheat N and E of us

25-Nov-17
Weather Underground is usually real accurate

25-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
We got down at 10:30 and went to check a couple cameras...did have a little forky come by but that's not what we're after.

This is an older pic, but from this same property, what do you think was wrong with this beaver? "O-CWD?

Gonna hunt a different stand this afternoon...after a pizza ;?)

25-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
2:43pm...

Set up in the 2-man stand where my buddy Justin shot his buck a couple weeks ago...just E of Attica.

Wind is finally as predicted at NE and it's around 60°. Cameron set a couple of sticks out at 20 & 30yds... something I used to do when I first started...let's do this!

25-Nov-17
5:34pm...

Two doe''s just came out on the cover crop to our N...nothing else so far

25-Nov-17
Yesterday I was on a bean field around sunset, two does had been on the field for a half an hour, about 100 yards away. I grunted one time and they took off like their tails were on fire. Fun to watch.

25-Nov-17
I’m still n.. keep at it..

25-Nov-17
Similar situation here Dave, they saw the decoy and the older doe wasn't having it...blow & go.

I think Cameron still had a good day...and that's huntin... we'll get to go again

26-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks Danny, I've got Mark on the river bank this morning...hoping to get him his first duck.

Had a couple pairs of Woodies swing by early, but he wasn't sure he wanted to take a poke at those speedsters...in time that will change I reckon

26-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Ended up with 3...threw the rest back ;?)

26-Nov-17
what kind of shot do you use to shoot them there catfish ? never heard of hunting catfish, what's the daily bag limit?

27-Nov-17
don't shoot for the school. pick out an individual fish.

16-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
12:40pm...

Hello again my old friends ;?) Mark and I are set up down on my Caldwell property...hunting different stands today. We didn't hunt deer during rifle, went after ducks a couple times instead.

We both have doe tags, and Marks got an "either sex" as well...got in real early as I think they'll move early.

This rub is right under my stand, fairly fresh too...hoping I get to see the "maker" tonight. May stick Mark back here tomorrow, or my buddy Brian, who's hunting all next week, from Ft Collins.

16-Dec-17
Mark has already spotted a doe bedded less than 100yds away.

I'm gonna guarantee a doe gets kilt tonight...who's wants to bet?

16-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:39pm...

Nothing from my stand yet but this "dillo"...Mark had a young buck pushing five does around about an hour ago but must not have gone into range

16-Dec-17
Looks like a lot of fresh rubbin. Saw a funny one awhile back an 8-pt rubbing up a BIG power pole, the pole is steel, go figure.

16-Dec-17
4:28pm...

I think they'd rub about anything when they're in the mood Dave...I kinda get that ;?)

We have a little action here, a spike out on the neighbors wheat by me, and Mark has two doe's about 75ydsin front of him on wheat.

I was bettin on the alfalfa...still am

16-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Good thing you didn't bet me ;?)

I'll let Mark tell the story later, work to do...

16-Dec-17
Way to go Mark!!

16-Dec-17
Congrats!

17-Dec-17
looks like steak tonight boys

17-Dec-17
Took a couple weeks off. Happy to be back in the stand.

Great sit yesterday. About 4 it seemed like someone opened the flood gates. I stopped counting does at 19 and they kept pouring into wheat.

Saw a couple small bucks and one shooter. Tall heavy 9 or 10. Just feeding, not chasing does.

17-Dec-17
On to the doe I shot. She came out and gave me a broadside shot at less that 25. I watched her run into some tall grass maybe 100 or so yards away, but didn’t see her fall.

I txt Kyle and told him I shot one. Shot was good but a litter higher than I wanted. At dark he came over and found the arrow right away. Great blood.

Now it got interesting. He asked if I was sure it was high because the arrow has white hair. I was positive, but started to 2nd guess myself.

We never found a single drop of blood. Ever. I can’t explain the white hair either. The shot was a couple inches high. Luckily she was right where I had last saw her.

Can’t thank Kyle enough for all he’s done for me this year. It’s been such an incredible season.

17-Dec-17
Congrats on getting it done

18-Dec-17
Congrats men

18-Dec-17
Good job guys

18-Dec-17
I'm hoping I can have similar luck in the next two weeks. I passed on several 1.5 yr old bucks and tiny does early in the season and then never got another opportunity. Hopefully, now that rifle season has come and gone, I'll see deer where I was seeing them before.

Regarding the white hair, where was the exit wound? Were you shooting down at a steep angle?

18-Dec-17
Good luck Ryan, find a food source and they will be there...the more secluded the better.

Exit was only about an inch or two below entrance. The only thing I can figure is that this doe was older, very grey in color, and the "under hair" was very light in color as well. I have never seen a double lung animal bleed less than this, makes me wonder how many might give up early on shots they know are good? It was a Grim Reaper broadhead, and I use them on turkey...but fixed blade on everything else. She had a couple of clot's half the size of a football inside, no blood in mouth...and only a couple of small spots where she fell.

21-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
4:44pm...

I scrambled back from NW Nebraska this morning for an evening doe hunt . My buddy Brian from CO has been hunting a couple of my spots the last three days with very little movement. He was already here on the Caldwell place so I snuck in on the other side of the creek...hunting from the ground.

Saw 20+ deer and 15+ turkeys out on wheat the mile before I pulled in...we just need a couple ;?)

21-Dec-17
5:07pm...

He's gonna hate me...just had a real nice 8 pop out at 30yds. He actually winded Brian across the creek and then took off E in a hurry.

I'll post a pic later

21-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

21-Dec-17
Awesome keep at it. Cold front is here, wife and oldest will be out all week.

22-Dec-17
I used grim reapers this year. Shot a doe and a buck. Neck shot the Doe and had great blood. Huge hole! Buck I Double lung shot without pass through and it was 30 yards from shot until I found my first drop of blood and found my arrow within 5 feet of first blood. Once arrow fell out decent blood.

22-Dec-17

Smoky36's embedded Photo
Lots of blood in mouth
Smoky36's embedded Photo
Lots of blood in mouth

23-Dec-17
Great buck Tony!

I think, like anything else, there are anomalies with all broadheads...it's not like a foam target. Every one I've ever shot has been a different scenario.

I shot a doe once right through the heart, but after the arrow hit she ran between to trees that were very close. The arrow snapped off on both sides and a 6-8" section was left in her heart. She ran over 100yds and that section of arrow blocked the blood from escaping the heart/cavity. I've got it on video somewhere, piled under 100's of others.

23-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
2:57pm...

I'm gonna kill a doe tonight.

On my spot near Attica, set up on a trail from the bedding area to the cover crop. Must be 75-100 little rubs in here, nothing over 2-3" in diameter.

Brian had a chance yesterday morning on a doe, in a group of 9, but she needed to come 3' further. I sent him home with a mix of game meats, fish, and Blue & Gold sausage... he'll survive I reckon.

23-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Found a great interior trail, and this rub, on my Caldwell farm yesterday, they'd been through there...

23-Dec-17
Do you feel that small trees are only rubbed by small bucks?

23-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I don't really think so Dave, but I haven't hunted this stand this year, and no camera in this woodlot...hard sayin who's doing the damage.

I can tell you this, the drought was hell on these Locust's...out of 500+ trees only a handful survived.

23-Dec-17
4:23pm...

Doe#1 is headed this way...slooooowly

23-Dec-17
5:37pm...

She had bedded at 75yds and I was pinned down. Just got up and three more followed her 50yds E of me

Right time...wrong trail

29-Dec-17
2:39pm...

I climbed into the stand I shot my buck out of at 2 today...alfalfa...near Caldwell. Both of the last two times I came down here there were 8-10 doe's feeding and/or bedded within 10-35yds. Last Sunday I counted over 40 out on wheat and this stuff in less than a half mile...and that was at 3:30p

Mark had a dog at the vet and couldn't get out, and my buddies son could only hunt this morning so I sent them to the Attica spot. Cameron had 3 doe''s at 25yds but real early and he just didn't feel comfortable with the shot...good thinker

It's not too cold tonight, truck said 38° but fairly windy out if the SW...hoping to stick one early and get her boned out tonight

Ain't over yet boys and girls

29-Dec-17
3:31pm...

Not a durn thing...when I say 3:30 I mean it...they need to be here on time, I only puncture punctual deer

I quit

29-Dec-17
4:49pm...

Just had three doe''s pass a couple hundred yds S of me, and one 500yds W...just barely out of range

29-Dec-17
6:05pm...

Had a juvenile Bobcat come by at about 10yds a little before last light...had me pegged, no pics

And that was that

30-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:42pm...

Talked Mark into taking one more stab at filling his buck tag... neither of us were very motivated considering the temps and movement of late...but we're out here

Hunting from the ground on a spot I haven't been to at all this year. It gets a lot of pressure, but not late season. We had two doe's pass 100yds S of us five min after we sat down...sign of things to come?

30-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
4:28pm

12 doe's so far...but we ain't after a doe tonight

30-Dec-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
How's this for up close and personal...they actually got even closer...and they never busted us

30-Dec-17
6:16pm...

Just the girls tonight, stopped counting at 30

A good way to go out and we know where to come and fill a doe tag or two now

Here's to a new year better than the last!

31-Dec-17
Happy New "Deer" all y'all!

01-Jan-18
Has been an entertainingng ride sito, happy new year and bring that head to convention.

01-Jan-18
Great video!

• Sitka Gear