GoJakesGo 18-Nov-17
Novice 19-Nov-17
blackwolf 19-Nov-17
Aushegun 21-Nov-17
Swampy 21-Nov-17
smokey 21-Nov-17
retro 21-Nov-17
17-Nov-17
Just curious how the rut has played out for everyone else. What date did you notice the most seeking & chasing? When was it at peak? What are you noticing right now going into gun season? For me, things really kicked into gear at Halloween. The 27th-31st was really good hunting. Nov 1 until now has been up & down. Never had that magical few days where it was a party in the woods like I typically do each year. Seems like most does are acting normal again, not freaked out & harassed, but mature bucks are still with the last remaining does that are still hot & locked down with them. I believe that if you see a mature buck during gun, it will probably be with a doe. That's my take, what's yours? Thanks & good luck this weekend.

17-Nov-17
2nd-4th I had young bucks running around like idiots. Does were still with fawns and the doe I saw getting chased was not having it. I shot my buck during that time and while he was new to my property he was wandering slowly vs his younger counter parts. I was not in the woods after that time frame but would guess the next few days would have had more bigger bucks on their feet during the day. Dunn Co.

17-Nov-17
Never saw much action in northern Ozaukee county, nor did I get many daytime pics. Usually I get 3-5 days a year where every buck is on one or several cameras during daylight. One guy managed to get an 8 pointer that was moving before dark on Saturday. Does I see and have pics of are mostly still with fawns. Historically, I tend to see more rutting action this time of year and later. Haven't been out since Sunday so I hope I didn't miss it. Some friends that work in northern Milwaukee Co and Washington Co area sent me videos of bucks chasing does around their offices so I don't think the rut is over by me.

17-Nov-17
I agree with the 26-31st of October....it was not the rut they were predicting. This was a long mild rut with days of action. We had the best weather you could ask for....but the action was off. Gun guys might catch some big boys still on their feet.

17-Nov-17
this last week they were crazy, everywhere you went bucks chasing. still chasing today.

17-Nov-17
I was home to carve pumpkins and trick or treat with my kids from the 28 -30th .

This was the weirdest year ever hunting the rut.

Very few deer seen.

No chasing.

Biggest buck was finally seen on the 11th of Nov.

Most of the time it was completely dead forest.

After what I saw this year I would have a hard time shooting a doe off the property.

17-Nov-17
Hot Oct 27 and 28th in Waupaca Co, then really good buck sighting through the 7th. Took 8th and 9th off. 10th on was back to relatively normal doe activity—not much rutting on my property

17-Nov-17
Kevin the property you hunt must suck.

17-Nov-17

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
I heard the deer in portage county are partial to the succulent leaves of buckthorn.

Haven't seen any buckthorn in a while on that property.

18-Nov-17
Strange rut up in Bayfield County. I thought the early cold weather would make for great daylight chasing etc, but it didn't happen until about the 12th where I was hunting. Things got real hot about 14th and continued until I had to leave on 16th. With good weather I think gun hunters will have great action this weekend. Seemed to be a "trickle rut" until the 14th. About a week later than I have normally seen over the last 40 years.

18-Nov-17
Nov. 15th was the most action for the rut here in Washburn county. Things seemed to really kick later this year.

18-Nov-17
Typical rut here in Sawyer and Bayfield County. Nov. 9-15 a lot of chasing shifting to tending.

Remember: Drop the Lock.

18-Nov-17
Racine co. I haven't seen a buck yet while hunting and I have plenty of does around to attract them.

18-Nov-17
Oct 30-Nov 2 looked real good on camera. Shooters in my book.

BIG BIG boys cruised my property Nov 13-Nov 15.

19-Nov-17
Better this year than last for me in Shawano co. Began around Halloween week. Lots of young bucks cruising and seeking. Saw big boys chasing 2nd week of Nov. Tending last weekend. Does back with fawns now.

19-Nov-17
I have read articles which say more "Booners" have been taken on Nov 15-16th than any other time. In the past I have always hunted earlier and had best trophy buck action from Oct 28th to Nov 2. This year weather was crappy in that period and then Nov 6 thru the 12th I saw a lot of small bucks but no chasing or tending until seeing a real "Bruiser" tending a doe on 12:30 pm on the 15th. With the 1-2 inches of snow I learned a lot in my area with a little mid-day tracking and cross-country hiking. (big woods national forest) Seems like the "tending" and big buck "cruising really took off on Nov 12. Of course this is a very localized summation based on a couple square miles of remote Bayfield Cty forest. But I will be putting more emphasis on hunting that Nov 12-18th period in the future.

21-Nov-17
the few bucks we saw thus far this gun season, are locked down tight with does.

21-Nov-17
The 27and 28th here to . Young ones still chasing young does where I'm at . I have a lot of luck after gun season with nice bucks chasing late does .

21-Nov-17
Aushegun, it's called tending, drop the lock. You are seeing bucks with does but still you are seeing them right?

21-Nov-17
Rut was the same as it always is. Some days better than others. Unpredictable on a daily basis, but predictable to a general time frame.

• Sitka Gear